Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Hobo Clown posted:

Bran should go back and warg into his younger self so he never climbs that tower and just unmake the universe

Bran's gonna warg into himself as he wakes from the coma and say "We are back at the beginning! And this time around I'm really gonna kick some Night King butt!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah the Kingsmoot wasnt great but it was still better than Dorne!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Has anyone mentioned the dumb "marked" Bran thing. The white walkers can get into the cave they couldn't before (because magic?) suddenly because Bran got touched kind of? Like when Voldemort could touch Harry again because

Also, has Gurm ever talked about his religion personally? Is he an atheist?

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 23, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

theyve got like 14 episodes left, im not sure the kingsmoot is frankly important enough for a bunch of screen time and impact. got a lot of characters to kill before the end.

then again the play wasnt really important either so idk.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I forget, are they on a globe or is the world supposed to be flat? Can Asha & Theon keep sailing west to Dany, or do they need to go south & around Dorne first?

Edit: Or Euron, I guess. I just assumed that's where A&T were headed.

vvvv Thanks!

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 23, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's round, but no one's ever sailed around it. Ships that go west either are never heard from again or come back after they get tired of sailing through a gigantic ocean. So the world must be a lot larger than earth.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TITY BOI posted:

The inevitable Plinkett-style review of this show that breaks down point by point precisely why and how it's a pile of poo poo is going to be very entertaining, I can't wait.

Linda Antonsson is already a reviewer of the show, this year.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yara & Theon are going East, they're going to stop in Volantis.

When they're discussing where to land in Westeros, Daario is going to rip the map in half and switch the halves.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BlueBayou posted:

Yeah the Kingsmoot wasnt great but it was still better than Dorne!

That's kind of a low bar to jump over.

Still, yeah, the Kingsmoot was sort of meh and I'd also have liked Euron to play up his mystical side a little more than just being another utterly boorish Iron Islander, but the scene felt more important to establish pointers for where Theon and Yara are now going and how trust between them has been forged. If they are indeed going to Meereen, I think following their banter as they sail to Essos will be more interesting that seeing Victarion rape a slave and listening to some more religious babbling from a Red Priest.

Teron D Amun posted:

**theory time***
There were a bunch of Child of the Forests who were hooked up to Weirwood trees just like the guy teaching Bran. These were the 'old gods' that people worship (Maybe masters of ice magic? Their duty was to witness and preserve things). They create the white walkers as their personal army to help the rest of the Children during the war. War goes on, the white walkers help but all they do is slow the humans during the winter in the far north--during the summers and spring humans gently caress up the forest children every year, to the point where the war, despite the walkers, is a stale mate (Essentially the walkers only stop the final blow, they don't really let the Children win). This lasts a thousand years, until finally the men and children relent and make peace. (Remember, the men were steadily winning for a long time, even after the children went scorched earth and blew up a big chunk of land. Then something happened which made the men want peace--probably the stale mate from the white walkers.)

Except one of these old gods won't accept it, too many children have died, gently caress humans--it becomes the Great Other. There is a civil war of sorts among the Children, that's why they slowly disappear. But the children force the "Great Other" to retreat, not before him and the white walkers gently caress up the rest of the old gods (Robbing the children of ice magic). The great other realizes his weakness is the summers, and so collects his magic for thousands of years and slowly begins to push the seasons out of balance.

Children are powerless to stop this, or don't even understand it themselves as its more of a thing the 'gods' are doing (And most of the other old gods are dead from the civil war). Long night comes, white walkers return. Children join the first men to fight them because the rogue old god, the Great Other, has gone nuts. During this time though, the children have shared some (Fire) magic with the humans (The only type they still have)--humans develop children fire magic the same way they did technology by constantly improving it. They mix it with blood magic, and Azor Azhai is born. He beats back the walkers, and after, humans who were able to learn the magic the Children taught them raised the wall. But the fire magic couldn't make it all the way up north, and thus the Great Other retreated to collect his power again.

Then after the nights watch is formed, a female White Walker goes and fucks the lord Commander. It was meant as a way to subvert the nights watch to allow the great other a new shot, but it accidently produced children--children who survived the Commander being killed. Children who had the powers of ice magic (Warging/green seeing)...That's how you get Starks. A few of these Wargs/Seers are extremely powerful, and can hook themselves up to trees to become like the Old Gods. Bran is the most powerful. That's the key to finally defeated the Great Other, the humans/children now have access to ice magic again, the old gods magic (Melisandra says the guy on the tree is the face of the enemy--maybe she misinterpreted the vision, he is the face of ice magic, so the same magic the Great Other uses, but not the enemy)--ice and fire working together.

I like this theory.

I do wonder how do you think other mythical entities like the Drowned God factor into this? I mean, we know in ASOIAF that magic is real and we've seen magic being clearly demonstrated that is attributed to the Many-Faced God, R'hllor and the Great Other, but I find it conspicuous that apparently the Seven Gods have no magic connections and the Drowned God seems like a rather paltry god as well.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Linda Antonsson is already a reviewer of the show, this year.

Yeah but does she do a funny voice and make jokes about killing strippers?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The stuff going on beyond the wall was crazy and a lot of fun, though, and I loved the actor playing Ned in the play.

Ah poo poo, I just had a quick look and it totally was Kevin Eldon.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Someone compared the Kingsmoot to the US election in this thread and today I saw this on my timeline

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

drunken officeparty posted:

Has anyone mentioned the dumb "marked" Bran thing. The white walkers can get into the cave they couldn't before (because magic?) suddenly because Bran got touched kind of? Like when Voldemort could touch Harry again because

They said it was like playing tag and the Night King is It.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TITY BOI posted:

Yeah but does she do a funny voice and make jokes about killing strippers?

She makes throw up noises sometimes.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Away all Goats posted:

Someone compared the Kingsmoot to the US election in this thread and today I saw this on my timeline

D&D masters of subtlety

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

El Hefe posted:

D&D masters of subtlety

There's no way that scene was written or filmed anywhere near anyone knowing Trump would be the nominee.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah filming was done, I would've liked to have been in the room when D&D watched the debate where Trump talked about how big his penis was.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Anyone laugh at the scene where they were all comically running down the corridor from the wights? It looked like it was at 2x the speed.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

It's round, but no one's ever sailed around it. Ships that go west either are never heard from again or come back after they get tired of sailing through a gigantic ocean. So the world must be a lot larger than earth.

Or that part of the sea is just full of angry krakens protecting Varys's kingdom.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think this Kingsmoot was vastly superior than in the books because it lasted for about 5 minutes rather than an eternity of pages.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The kingsmoot was agonizingly slow in the books so I'm glad they rocketed through that poo poo by having craft brewer Euron Greyjoy use his possession of a dick as the key point for making him king.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So as far as I can tell there is an almost exact redo of the red wedding but with different victims? That's going to be terrible.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yara got all ships because her supporters were the ones that were actively and happily trading with the mainland for years while Euron's supporters were crying into their ale about how they used to be badass vikings.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Shneak posted:

Anyone laugh at the scene where they were all comically running down the corridor from the wights? It looked like it was at 2x the speed.

They were trying to go for scary, but it was kinda a generic horror sequence with wights crawling on the roof/walls like ants. It was way too campy.

They even added the stuck door that was only opened/closed at the last second.

e: "Hold the door" and Hodor dying did get to me, I hope Meera spends the rest of the season telling Bran how badly he screwed up here.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 24, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Lycus posted:

Yara got all ships because her supporters were the ones that were actively and happily trading with the mainland for years while Euron's supporters were crying into their ale about how they used to be badass vikings.

Are they vikings? I always thought they were supposed to be Ireland.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Nice that we got another reminder that stannis is dead in case anyone forgot.

I'm kinda convinced that they are trimming the cast for cost reasons to end their character arcs and get the cast down to the main people who will influence the end game. Same with the doggies, CGI is expensive so they are chucking them out one by one so they don't have to worry/pay anymore.

The tree bit was half good half terrible. Those stupid fire grenades are dumb as gently caress.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

There's only 1 season left, I don't think they have to worry about costs.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elias_Maluco posted:

I loved that in the play Joffrey is a nice guy and Ned an ambitious bastard

The play was well done

onemillionzombies posted:

I don't think Coldhands is being warged by anyone. He refers to Sam as "brother" and kills Night Watch mutineers -- either it's a body being warged and does these things to make Sam and others feel comfortable or he's a member of the Nights Watch who was "killed long ago" but for whatever reason is walking around undead.

Could he be the lord commander that banged the other chick?

TheRat posted:

IMDB isnt an authority. It has "spoiled" poo poo like benjen and lady stoneheart before.

I went and added Rickon to this season as a joke on IMDB, but it looks like he actually was, so... that joke sort of fell flat.

Teron D Amun posted:

**theory time***
There were a bunch of Child of the Forests who were hooked up to Weirwood trees just like the guy teaching Bran. These were the 'old gods' that people worship (Maybe masters of ice magic? Their duty was to witness and preserve things). They create the white walkers as their personal army to help the rest of the Children during the war. War goes on, the white walkers help but all they do is slow the humans during the winter in the far north--during the summers and spring humans gently caress up the forest children every year, to the point where the war, despite the walkers, is a stale mate (Essentially the walkers only stop the final blow, they don't really let the Children win). This lasts a thousand years, until finally the men and children relent and make peace. (Remember, the men were steadily winning for a long time, even after the children went scorched earth and blew up a big chunk of land. Then something happened which made the men want peace--probably the stale mate from the white walkers.)

Except one of these old gods won't accept it, too many children have died, gently caress humans--it becomes the Great Other. There is a civil war of sorts among the Children, that's why they slowly disappear. But the children force the "Great Other" to retreat, not before him and the white walkers gently caress up the rest of the old gods (Robbing the children of ice magic). The great other realizes his weakness is the summers, and so collects his magic for thousands of years and slowly begins to push the seasons out of balance.

Children are powerless to stop this, or don't even understand it themselves as its more of a thing the 'gods' are doing (And most of the other old gods are dead from the civil war). Long night comes, white walkers return. Children join the first men to fight them because the rogue old god, the Great Other, has gone nuts. During this time though, the children have shared some (Fire) magic with the humans (The only type they still have)--humans develop children fire magic the same way they did technology by constantly improving it. They mix it with blood magic, and Azor Azhai is born. He beats back the walkers, and after, humans who were able to learn the magic the Children taught them raised the wall. But the fire magic couldn't make it all the way up north, and thus the Great Other retreated to collect his power again.

Then after the nights watch is formed, a female White Walker goes and fucks the lord Commander. It was meant as a way to subvert the nights watch to allow the great other a new shot, but it accidently produced children--children who survived the Commander being killed. Children who had the powers of ice magic (Warging/green seeing)...That's how you get Starks. A few of these Wargs/Seers are extremely powerful, and can hook themselves up to trees to become like the Old Gods. Bran is the most powerful. That's the key to finally defeated the Great Other, the humans/children now have access to ice magic again, the old gods magic (Melisandra says the guy on the tree is the face of the enemy--maybe she misinterpreted the vision, he is the face of ice magic, so the same magic the Great Other uses, but not the enemy)--ice and fire working together.

I like that theory, if for no other reason than I appreciate someone tying all the loose ends together. I have to admit when I read / watch a story I'm very passive - I just go off of what I'm being shown. I don't try and sort out who jons parents really were ( at least I don't try very hard ). I just kick back and enjoy, and trust in the author to take me through the journey - so I'm always amazed when people come up with theories that tie lots of disparate elements together.

With that said - you are assuming that the author actually has a master plan, has an origin story for the "gods" and how everything ties together. and I'm not sure about that in this particular instance.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

a cop posted:

Unless there's a poo poo load of big set pieces in the final season. If everything starts converging the CGI bill will start to go skyward with dragons and walls falling down and hordes of ice whatever.

Which in reality means that in Ep1 Davos will rock up to Jon Snuo and be like " the mother of dragons has landed a huge navy in Kings landing and taken the city killing the high sparrow. Also the wall just fell down"

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
HBO executives have practically been begging D&D in recent interviews to agree to continue the show for many more seasons. It's the biggest moneymaker in the history of the network; they not-so-subtilely have implied that they would gladly write a blank check for every season going forward if D&D wanted it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

Are they vikings? I always thought they were supposed to be Ireland.

you think the people who raid villages along the coast as their bread and butter are irish?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

you think the people who raid villages along the coast as their bread and butter are irish?

They are dumb hicks, so yes

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

a cop posted:

Two seasons, but only 13 episodes.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

There's a huge difference between executives saying don't worry about costs and executives actually not worrying about costs. Kill all the cgi doggies.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Just because an executive wants a show to last 10 seasons doesn't mean they're not gonna want to chop the budget in the last couple seasons. People are already invested and watching anyway, right?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Wasn't there talk at some point about wrapping up the story with a movie or two? Or was that just GRRM wishful thinking?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The real question is would Bran kill Baby Hitler?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

Wasn't there talk at some point about wrapping up the story with a movie or two? Or was that just GRRM wishful thinking?

GRRM wishful thinking. HBO said "no way".

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Each episode is like the length of half a movie anyway: By how little the plot moves in just 2 episodes, there's no way they could get anything done in a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if GoT will make a surge of fantasy television or if this is the epitome and after this we won't even get a cool period drama.

• Locked thread