Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Snak posted:

Cool. That actually sounds perfect. A younger me would never have hoped for a game to be short, but more and more I feel like I want a game I can finish in a few 2-3 hour sittings. I might try to rent it then. I feel like If I set the time asside, and I could play 10 hours of a game in 3 days and that would be pretty cost efficient.

If the game grabs you like it seems to be grabbing all who have played it, then you definitely will be able to finish it during a redbox rental. It's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
My goal of beating FTL vanilla with the starter ship continues to allude me. 8 tries, 8 busts, 6 of those on the boss. One of these days...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

completely forgot about Drawn To Death and David Jaffe's wacky-named studio, Detective Holdsworth Hat Factory or some loving idiot poo poo. If it's anything like Jaffe's mentality itself then it will be an incredible piece of garbage to behold if it ever comes out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bloodychill posted:

My goal of beating FTL vanilla with the starter ship continues to allude me. 8 tries, 8 busts, 6 of those on the boss. One of these days...

I could never beat it. That final ship has so much hp and you have to loving fight it 3 times in a row with no break.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've beaten it a few times (on Normal, I can't imagine wanting the game to be even harder) but I don't remember what my strategy was before the expansion. Flak makes such a huge difference.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The closest I ever got to beating FTL was the first time I got to the end boss. I didn't know it was a multi-stage fight, and with weapons down, my last warrior boarded the enemy ship and tore it apart from the inside with his bare hands. The ship exploded with him on it. His sacrifice turned out to be entirely in vain when it was revealed that the ship could survive being destroyed and came back as another stage. My remaining scientist just sat on my ship and died. That bullshit turned what was the most nailbiting and epic victory into a crushing defeat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Even though its really hard to beat and you can get completely screw over by the build of your ship, I really like the FTL boss because I am actually force to not focus on the same 3 or 2 systems I am always focused on depending on my ship build.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Mighty No 9 was announced and will have been released in the time it's taken for A Hat in Time to be finished

that's not snark either, a hat in time's KS was in 2012

On the other hand A Hat in Time might actually be good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MinibarMatchman posted:

Detective Holdsworth Hat Factory

:monocle:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've beat FTL at least one (dunno, I might've done it twice) but it relies so heavily on luck. I've visited all the shops in one game and managed to make it through 80% of the systems but never ended up having enough scrap to buy a new weapon.

I enjoyed it, especially on my netbook on flights, but I'm used to "losing is fun" because I really don't get anything out of defeating the end boss. It would've been neat if you could get help from your friends in the end game, but alas.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i've beaten ftl seven times, securing a congressional medal of honour in the process

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've never beaten FTL but I did beat Super Mario Land for the first time recently so I'm doing pretty good generally.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Something with The Witcher 3 isn't clicking for me... I think it might be the macro-plot. I barely played The Witcher 1 and never touched 2, and this new one isn't doing much to explain what anything means. A lot of place names wash over me, and now I have to chase down a brat whose codex entry says is super important?

The individual side quest storylines are really good and interesting, but I wish I knew where I was and why I was there. I might have to do some extra reading online or something.

Still enjoying the game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

Overwatch was fun in the beta but $40 for a videogame is too rich for my blood. If Blizzard ever has it for 50% off and it's still good and alive by then, I'll probably buy it. In the meantime it's gotten me to pick up TF2 again and it turns out TF2 is still really good.
Same sorta position here, except I missed the beta and as a result most of the hype train.

Blizzard's most recent games never really got their hooks into me and AU$70 for a multi-only game with no custom map support seems a little iffy, so I'll wait and see how it goes over the coming weeks. If it's a great team-based shooter, then it'll still be a great team-based shooter closer to birthdays and Christmas. :)

I wanna play TF2 again but that'd mean updating FrankenHUD and I've seen enough VGUI definitions for one lifetime...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

now I have to chase down a brat whose codex entry says is super important?

i'm going to crush you

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
FTL is a very well disguised roguelike/lite and you shouldn't hope for a good time unless you're burning incense at your RNG altar.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

exquisite tea posted:

Paladins, Paragon...that one for PC that's attempting to be Overwatch but super edgy with heroes that have PG-13 rated dialogue.
Ah yes, the Paragon open beta is running.

Don't let it catch you.

It's bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

how is everyones day. i played some hero siege, then i mashed up bittersweet symphony with all-star, now i'm getting ready for my trip

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Kins posted:

Same sorta position here, except I missed the beta and as a result most of the hype train.

Blizzard's most recent games never really got their hooks into me and AU$70 for a multi-only game with no custom map support seems a little iffy, so I'll wait and see how it goes over the coming weeks. If it's a great team-based shooter, then it'll still be a great team-based shooter closer to birthdays and Christmas. :)

I wanna play TF2 again but that'd mean updating FrankenHUD and I've seen enough VGUI definitions for one lifetime...

But if you don't update Frankenhud what will I use when I tf2... :(

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

how is everyones day. i played some hero siege, then i mashed up bittersweet symphony with all-star, now i'm getting ready for my trip

Mashing up bittersweet symphony with all-star sounds like the real trip here, haha

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

i'm going to crush you

Cirri has done two things in the game so far: sulked, and run off when told not to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

Mashing up bittersweet symphony with all-star sounds like the real trip here, haha
i dunno if this link will work https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_o7nd3b4DMi1ul51uxo1.mp3#_=_

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

Cirri has done two things in the game so far: sulked, and run off when told not to.

I need to call a Witcher because you are clearly a monster.

Works great, thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

then i mashed up bittersweet symphony with all-star

how can you not post a link

Shoulda hit refresh

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ah yes, the Paragon open beta is running.

Don't let it catch you.

It's bad.

Its ok but you have to grind for shop items. And the ranged carries that already have those items are pretty god like.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lady Naga posted:

The new Ratchet and Clank is Fine.

Hey, you said you were cutting SA out for your emotional well-being, don't backslide. <:mad:>

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i hope you find the peace you are looking for

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

this is really good

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jay Rust posted:

Watch a recap of the previous 2 games. There are many different ones on youtube and on sites. Here's a pretty short one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF0sduwWZWc

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

One build that tends to be reliable is teleport-focus. You need to aim for two mantis to send off, and shields to survive otherwise. Keep your shields, engines, and pilot manned for best longevity, and always take out the missiles first.
Just remember that if you kill everyone on the ship, that the automated systems kick in, and it plays like an unmanned drone, complete with auto-repair.

My preferred build is burst firing lasers at the shields, and it was somewhat reliable in vanilla, but in expanded, the laser vulcan was a beast, well worth the four slots of power(1.1 second repeat shots at shortest, faster than a shield can regen? :holymoley: )

Jay Rust posted:

Still enjoying the game

Witcher backstory regarding the characters is worth reading, but it's nothing you can't end up gleaning from Witcher 3 at some point.
Better to think of it as a personal character story set in an established fantasy world that does its own thing, because that's more or less how it plays out.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

You guys are robbing him from seeing the worst ending by being a deadbeat rear end.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

twitter was a mistake

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same but the internet

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

twitter was a mistake

Ouch. Sounds like a debilitating affliction. Also, I see money has not changed Notch at all.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mistle posted:

One build that tends to be reliable is teleport-focus. You need to aim for two mantis to send off, and shields to survive otherwise. Keep your shields, engines, and pilot manned for best longevity, and always take out the missiles first.
Just remember that if you kill everyone on the ship, that the automated systems kick in, and it plays like an unmanned drone, complete with auto-repair.

My preferred build is burst firing lasers at the shields, and it was somewhat reliable in vanilla, but in expanded, the laser vulcan was a beast, well worth the four slots of power(1.1 second repeat shots at shortest, faster than a shield can regen? :holymoley: )

This is funny because this is the exact build I'm gravitating toward today. On my last run, I knocked out all the weapons pretty handily. The problem was (and often is) the drone section because I don't have enough fire power to get past the 4 shields + defense drone 2 so it becomes a war of attrition I can't keep up with and 2 mantises aren't enough to dismantle their crew unless I'm doing something wrong there. I beat it once on vanilla at release and I vaguely remember having some insane combination of weapons I randomly picked up, like 2 burst lasers and a heavy ion cannon.

Once I pull it off, I'm flipping expanded content back on because it is a lot more varied in builds that will work. The run I'm currently on, I got a teleporter early and because I'm stripping every ship I fight, it's been going noticeably better. I don't want to jinx it but I think this might be it...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Don't dig down notch...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They should put that on the back of all the Minecraft boxes they sell to six year olds

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Never heard that one before

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If I had bajillions of dollars I would delete all my public social media profiles and no one on the internet would ever hear from me again. Why is he arguing with people on Twitter when literally anything in the world is a possibility to him? I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

mutata posted:

If I had bajillions of dollars I would delete all my public social media profiles and no one on the internet would ever hear from me again. Why is he arguing with people on Twitter when literally anything in the world is a possibility to him? I don't get it.

Money doesn't buy you being likable. Honestly though why isn't he just doing a ton of drugs and maybe figuring out how to be a decent human being.

• Locked thread