Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
that's not gloriously stupid, it's loving stupid

(also sounds like rear end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

In that vein, I think there's something to be said for chapman stick

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

tacodaemon posted:

In that vein, I think there's something to be said for chapman stick
Tony Levin is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcbSjC9tAY8

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Bill Posters posted:

What about this?

I will now play a piece called 9'11".

Music is my aeroplane.

A second hand has struck the tower.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

City of Tampa posted:

this is my favorite keytar pic

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ted Cruz jamming with who looks to be Bill Gates?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Even in this thread, this is extremely stupid and lovely.

Hey guys look how WACKY and WEIRD I am, aren't I eccentric ahaha whoooaaaa haha.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

What's the music word for "rear end in a top hat?"

Is it just "rear end in a top hat?"

If so, that guy is an rear end in a top hat.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I hope by now you guys realize how Faustus owns this thread we just get to post in it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Is that song supposed to just sound like a bad copyright free knockoff of Jerry was a racecar driver or was that on accident

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

shiksa posted:

Is that song supposed to just sound like a bad copyright free knockoff of Jerry was a racecar driver or was that on accident

What a perfect response.

Tony Levin also wrote a book where in the first chapter he basically said that bass players are God.

He also invented sticks you tape to your fingers so that you can whack the bass strings with them. They're called funk fingers.

On a Peter Gabriel song, he used a diaper to act as a mute.

He recorded an album in a cave using a dummy with microphones in its ears (called KEMAR) instead of recording each instrument normally.

He also is one of the most in demand session bass players out there.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
So really, Tony Levin is the personification of stupid music poo poo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That video is a bad choice. The song itself is alright, when it's not the bassist's solo project playing live and recorded on a cell phone

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Rifter17 posted:

What a perfect response.

Tony Levin also wrote a book where in the first chapter he basically said that bass players are God.

He also invented sticks you tape to your fingers so that you can whack the bass strings with them. They're called funk fingers.

On a Peter Gabriel song, he used a diaper to act as a mute.

He recorded an album in a cave using a dummy with microphones in its ears (called KEMAR) instead of recording each instrument normally.

He also is one of the most in demand session bass players out there.

Faustus forgot to log out of his alt

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Cobalt60 posted:

Faustus forgot to log out of his alt

Nah, he likes Kings X and I like King Crimson. He is a guitarist and I'm a bassist. So he has super strats and I have basses with fungus wood/flamed maple/and other boutique weirdness. I must admit that I don't own a bass with more than 5 strings though so I don't know if I can keep my TalkBass account.

I also forgot to mention that Tony Levin has one of the longest running blogs on the Internet (http://www.papabear.com).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gross

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

shiksa posted:

Well it was released about 10 years before Jerry, but hey who can say?? The song does kinda suck tho, and Jerry is a much better rewrite.

The little tuneup Levin gives it at the start reminds me of Nigel Tufnel earnestly tuning the violin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW5dFfCUYPI&t=36s

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

That video is a bad choice. The song itself is alright, when it's not the bassist's solo project playing live and recorded on a cell phone
I'll grant this. That's my fault.
It's a King Crimson tune that I really enjoy. I first heard it in 1989 and thought it was hilarious, so I have a soft spot for it. It might actually be my first Jerry or My Name Is Mud. I can't imagine anyone listening to Larry Lalonde and saying, "yup, this is way better than" anything but maybe a ferret running around on a fretboard.

I don't remember when I first found this version (Levin's solo thing) on YouTube but I had always wondered wtf the instrumentation was because I had never even heard a Stick played before (I saw one in a music store once and tapped on it while it was sitting on a stand. That's it.)
When I saw the video the ear-bending combination of warbly high notes and funky bass line finally made sense so I just enjoyed it.

Tony Levin is still a great musician. I love his work with Peter Gabriel and with King Crimson. Dude has tone. He grooves.

To be fair this song is really just a fun little conceit. It's whimsical. I'm sorry that I put forth a bad video of it.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 24, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
larry lalonde gets a pass for seven churches

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Is the trend of playing little girl guitars in your lovely local bar band just happening in my area is it more widespread?

Hey everybody check out my wacky Hanna Montana guitar from wal mart. lol here's an iron maiden riff haha isnt that unexpected! This isnt even a professional guitar it is a toy for girls lmao! Haha this one is shaped like a heart and has yarn for strings.

*starts into Fulsom Prison Blues / Sister Golden Hair medley or whatever*

Those things sound and look bad and nobody in the audience thinks your witty or cute or clever . Go back to the ironic ukelele cover song hipster trend, that was actually much classier.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Jeez, those guys have to do something to keep from killing themselves, let them have it

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

reallivedinosaur posted:

Is the trend of playing little girl guitars in your lovely local bar band just happening in my area is it more widespread?

Hey everybody check out my wacky Hanna Montana guitar from wal mart. lol here's an iron maiden riff haha isnt that unexpected! This isnt even a professional guitar it is a toy for girls lmao! Haha this one is shaped like a heart and has yarn for strings.

Those things sound and look bad and nobody in the audience thinks your witty or cute or clever . Go back to the ironic ukelele cover song hipster trend, that was actually much classier.

i know people playing slam/brutal death on hello kitty guitars was a thing for a bit

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bill Posters posted:

What about this?

at some point, these are just lovely muddy sounding harps, not guitars

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

at some point, these are just lovely muddy sounding harps, not guitars

idk, to me it's sort of some kind of convergent evolution thing towards the zither

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

reallivedinosaur posted:

do you live in the midwest or something?

a retard posted:

i know people playing slam/brutal death on hello kitty guitars was a thing for a bit

for a while the hello kitty strat was the cheapest decent quality humbucker-routed squier, and the only one with a hardtail

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 24, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

larry lalonde gets a pass for seven churches
If you like it, then I'll look for it and check it out.

Remember when Les made Larry famous and Larry told all the guitar magazines how he'd taken lessons from Joe Satriani? I always wondered how a pefectionist like Joe felt about that.
If Larry did make some good music somewhere, I'm more than happy to hear it.

The South Park theme song doesn't count.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

If you like it, then I'll look for it and check it out.

it might not be your thing. it's notable for being one of the first death metal albums, and it was recorded when all the band members were still in high school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO6g4k7yYhM

he and les claypool did an album with blind illusion called the same asylum you might like, depending on your tolerance for noodly prog thrash. it's kinda like early 90s coroner except not as good

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I would probably be ok with some noodly prog thrash. My friends expose me to all kinds of really heavy/weird stuff that I wouldn't hear otherwise.

In any case, I'd be edified to hear anything by Larry Lalonde that doesn't sound like a chicken with late-stage Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. I'm work-postin' so I'll check it out later.

(fake)E: Forgot to say thank you. Thank you, CAB.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

I would probably be ok with some noodly prog thrash.

well in that case if you haven't heard them before coroner's pretty good

as an added bonus unlike almost every other band in that style their singer doesn't sound like a 6 year old girl doing a geoff tate impression while huffing helium

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

sound like a chicken with late-stage Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

comes along bort posted:

sound like a 6 year old girl doing a geoff tate impression while huffing helium
I think we're really improving the quality of similes around here.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

comes along bort posted:

for a while the hello kitty strat was the cheapest decent quality humbucker-routed squier, and the only one with a hardtail

I have the Badtz Maru bass - it was cheap, has a short scale length for my lousy finger length and it plays well enough for messing around on. Having an annoyed penguin on the bass is just a side bonus.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

There's one locally the guy is trying to unload for $550 stating they normally go for $700. :stare: Why not just get a pink body and a hello kitty vinyl and attach a good neck?

I have my own content for this thread:blush:

I've still got some more coats of poly to do and then wetsand :3:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Nice. I did the opposite once. As a summer project I got a junk bass and did it up. I have no idea what brand it was, but it had a Fender headstock decal and it most certainly was not a Fender so I sanded it off. If I can find pictures I'll post it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sockington posted:

There's one locally the guy is trying to unload for $550 stating they normally go for $700. :stare: Why not just get a pink body and a hello kitty vinyl and attach a good neck?

which is funny considering they go for like $3-350 on reverb

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

iostream.h posted:

I live in Alabama.
I'll need you to channel 'This guitar will be played for people with $70k trucks hauling $35k bass boats in front of their $10k house trailers' when you do this please.

So you know my neighbors, then.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

praxis posted:

Goddamn if that isn't right. I'm a drummer and I think drum solos are the most pointless, self-indulgent, non-musical load of bullshit imaginable.

Counterpoint: Keith LeBlanc drum 'n' sample solo shows kicked serious rear end.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I'm a 40 year old drummer who pretends to be a rockstar on the weekends. I don't know of anything drummers my age do that is comparable to what these blues dads are doing. Other than drooling over expensive drums it seems the only thing drummers my age are guilty of is playing crazy double bass that usually has no place in the music. If any non-drummers can offer an outsider's perspective I would appreciate it. Also, I'm just past the halfway point of this thread. I'm gonna make it, goddammit.

EmptyVessel posted:

Counterpoint: Keith LeBlanc drum 'n' sample solo shows kicked serious rear end.

Hey, if that's your thing then enjoy it. For me, meh.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

praxis posted:

I'm a 40 year old drummer who pretends to be a rockstar on the weekends. I don't know of anything drummers my age do that is comparable to what these blues dads are doing. Other than drooling over expensive drums it seems the only thing drummers my age are guilty of is playing crazy double bass that usually has no place in the music. If any non-drummers can offer an outsider's perspective I would appreciate it. Also, I'm just past the halfway point of this thread. I'm gonna make it, goddammit.

As long as you don't do this, you're fine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

GreatGreen posted:

As long as you don't do this, you're fine...

Alternatively... never not do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
He looks like he's entertaining himself. If the camera turned around there's probably no one there but his wife and some of their buddies.

• Locked thread