Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

EmmyOk posted:

There are 90+ replies all telling her to dump the guy. She said further down they'd been together a long time and if he has been abusive/manipulative previously it is not surprising that she didn't realise how hosed up it was.

I was curious (and depressed) so I looked it up and found something similar on reddit. If it's not the same incident, it makes me upset that so many guys are willing to destroy their partner's potential to gain power over their freetime.

If it IS the same incident, though, she mentioned multiple times that he was very non-confrontational, to the point of walking out the door if she wanted to discuss something he'd done to her. Which, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah that sort of thing is "sever immediately and forever, no questions asked" level. Who the hell thinks that that's OK?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Smells of STDH.txt to me to be honest. :shrug:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ratbert90 posted:

I don't know. I can believe some people are naive/stupid enough to not realize how much work a thesis is. I can also believe an abusive person who does realize it would do something like delete it for controlling purposes and try to pass it off as no big deal.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

If this was posted already it still bears repeating

https://twitter.com/AwrySquare/status/734085731174518785

Huh, I donno if that'll play anymore. In 2004 those characters were a pretty funny look at the kind of terrible people there were on the internet playing videogames, but there's much worse people playing videogames now and those sorts of people aren't really around no mo.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Girl's gonna get a door to the face soon im sure. :smith:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mak0rz posted:

I don't know. I can believe some people are naive/stupid enough to not realize how much work a thesis is. I can also believe an abusive person who does realize it would do something like delete it for controlling purposes and try to pass it off as no big deal.

I don't think people realize just how god awful abusive people can get in relationships. "You care about <thing> more than me!" can pretty often turn into destroying <thing> or trying to remove <thing> from the person's life.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ratbert90 posted:

no that is a totally realistic thing to happen unfortunately, some people are just pure poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like something your cat would do.

"Oh, you're spending meow time with your thesis than with me, WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT!"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

no that is a totally realistic thing to happen unfortunately, some people are just pure poo poo.

I guess I am just super jaded these days in regards to stories. :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Byzantine posted:

2006 is such a weird cutoff point. Did something happen then?

Speaking as someone from this generation, 2006 is around when all the people born between 1989 and 1992 were entering high school and thus getting easier access to adult games and different parts of the Internet. We were born too young to have experienced games like Final Fantasy VII, Earthbound, or the original Metal Gear Solid as anything other than children or even babies (I was 6 when Metal Gear Solid came out and 2 when Earthbound came out) if we even got them, so we wouldn't really be able to comprehend these kinds of games until we were at an age where new stuff was getting released. I didn't get access to adult-oriented stuff until the PS2 era with games like GTA III, Hitman 2, and Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3.

So cometh the age of 2006, you've got three brand new consoles coming out with inherent online connectivity and an emphasis on multiplayer. M-rated games are becoming the norm for major releases, blurring the lines between preteen, teen, and adult-oriented video games (think about how many major, highly rated E or T-rated releases you've seen in the past 5 years that aren't Nintendo IPs or Undertale). And there's a fresh group of kids whose 90s nostalgia is limited to their elementary school years and are ready to experience the next generation of consoles as they enter or finish high school.

At the same time, all the people who did grow up with the nostalgia of 80s and 90s video games are now getting older. The guy who played Earthbound brand new as a 13-year-old is leaving college. The guys who played the original Mario games are pushing or passing 30. Their fabulous youth is being left behind. So they get mad.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

chitoryu12 posted:

At the same time, all the people who did grow up with the nostalgia of 80s and 90s video games are now getting older. The guy who played Earthbound brand new as a 13-year-old is leaving college. The guys who played the original Mario games are pushing or passing 30. Their fabulous youth is being left behind. So they get mad.

This sentence confused me. Did you pull this from somewhere? A google search isn't netting me anything. Earthbound came out in 1994/1995; a person who played it new at 13 would be 35 years old. The original mario games are already over 30 years old so unless they played them in the womb most of the people who saw the original marios as kids would be in their 40s.

I mean, you're point is still there but I'm just a little confused.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Garrand posted:

This sentence confused me. Did you pull this from somewhere? A google search isn't netting me anything. Earthbound came out in 1994/1995; a person who played it new at 13 would be 35 years old. The original mario games are already over 30 years old so unless they played them in the womb most of the people who saw the original marios as kids would be in their 40s.

Things stuck around for more than a month or 2 back then. hth.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I think a game stops being "brand new" before a decade passes.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

chitoryu12 posted:

Speaking as someone from this generation, 2006 is around when all the people born between 1989 and 1992 were entering high school and thus getting easier access to adult games and different parts of the Internet. We were born too young to have experienced games like Final Fantasy VII, Earthbound, or the original Metal Gear Solid as anything other than children or even babies (I was 6 when Metal Gear Solid came out and 2 when Earthbound came out) if we even got them, so we wouldn't really be able to comprehend these kinds of games until we were at an age where new stuff was getting released. I didn't get access to adult-oriented stuff until the PS2 era with games like GTA III, Hitman 2, and Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3.

So cometh the age of 2006, you've got three brand new consoles coming out with inherent online connectivity and an emphasis on multiplayer. M-rated games are becoming the norm for major releases, blurring the lines between preteen, teen, and adult-oriented video games (think about how many major, highly rated E or T-rated releases you've seen in the past 5 years that aren't Nintendo IPs or Undertale). And there's a fresh group of kids whose 90s nostalgia is limited to their elementary school years and are ready to experience the next generation of consoles as they enter or finish high school.

I've been a long time creeper but this is my first post. So I watched a youtube video and it made me realize this; Mario is a surly, distant, plumber. Just think about Luigi he has all the same powers and abilities as Mario but is taller in better shape and nicer. Despite this Mario always gets the princess because he is the epitome of red pill and Luigi is the exact opposite this could have only made more sense if Luigi were wearing blue.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Garrand posted:

I was still using 2006 as my reference for their adulthood, since that's the "everything is poo poo according to me, a nerd" threshold.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Garrand posted:

I think a game stops being "brand new" before a decade passes.

The original Mario Brothers came out in 83 for the arcade, and Super Mario Bros came out in 85. People were still excited to get it and play it as if it was new for several years after that.

I am not yet in my 40s, still mid 30s, and I remember when SMB first came out, and how excited everyone was if they were lucky enough to get a Nintendo.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I was still using 2006 as my reference for their adulthood, since that's the "everything is poo poo according to me, a nerd" threshold.

ah. that explains my confusion. I somehow missed you said

quote:

at the same time

brotato
May 14, 2013
My fave thing about MRA types is their obsession with female virginity. Like lmao virgins are the worst. All us normal folks are glad that poo poo is behind us.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I've never been happier that I never got onto that Minecraft hype train.

What a sad sack of poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BigglesSWE posted:

I've never been happier that I never got onto that Minecraft hype train.

What a sad sack of poo poo.

So you're not going to Autismcon?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Your Computer posted:

But then we wouldn't have gotten this hilarious sentence :allears:

Ironically, a sentence that will make a 'females' genitals wither up and die.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Hardcore gamers love ff7 because Sephiroth is the totally radical badass they've been trying to come up with since they were ten years old.

That is the one with Sephiroth right?

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I wrote that thing. It's 100% true.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

So you're not going to Autismcon?

I thought there wouldn't be a Star Citizen con this year?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

I thought there wouldn't be a Star Citizen con this year?

That's SunkCostCon.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

People get weird on YikYak during exams.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ok Fella posted:

Hardcore gamers love ff7 because Sephiroth is the totally radical badass they've been trying to come up with since they were ten years old.

That is the one with Sephiroth right?

Sephiroth is great, because he suffers from the worst mommy issues in Final Fantasy and, on top of that, the one you're after isn't even the real Sephiroth.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

i like manunderstood because it sounds like a word for when misogynists and redpillers think they understand the other sex are as wrong as they could be

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Why not "manderstood". Goddamn.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Notch sure manstood his ground on this one!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Byzantine posted:

Why not "manderstood". Goddamn.

I love it when they can't even be clever when they re-write words for their own needs.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say just how much I've come to like SA the few years I've been here. A community that seem to almost universally hate on MRA scum and racists as much as I do. Truly, Internet delivers from time to time :)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

2006 was when games went all edgy and mature as some of its users grew up and got super offended when society said gaming was for kids, so developers who were all butthurt about it put in a bunch of sex and tits to prove how games were for grownups and now they've all lost their minds when everyone else said "It doesn't all have to be like that." What's really sad is how much they've latched onto their games and consider it a subculture and identifier, that they obsessively post and attack people online. Their hobby has consumed them and they've developed severe mental illnesses. They need help. Maybe some hugs from their mothers.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

2006 in gaming:

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I have some light hearted IOSM that I only have as a quote (I'm not hunting back through his time line to screen grab the post)

Unnecessary backstory: this dude was a work friend and he can be very dear in a lot of ways, but his Facebook is just awful. He treats it like Tumblr, posts constantly, vaguebooks about people not being loyal to him, and loves to go on sprees at like 2 in the morning where he likes a bunch of pictures of mostly naked dudes. He posted this some time last week:

quote:

Leaving this traumatic weekend behind and moving forward! SN: Since my 12 sex guardians , yes heffas that was me, was such a big hit, I have decided to introduce my patron saints of sex. Up first Falashious, Patron saint of well obviously falashio. When you have the sudden urge to give the gift of oral to your man, you have been blessed by Falashious. More to come =-)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

brotato posted:

My fave thing about MRA types is their obsession with female virginity. Like lmao virgins are the worst. All us normal folks are glad that poo poo is behind us.

MRA guys just don't want women who know how bad at sex they are. In all seriousness, though, virgin sex is the worst.

BigglesSWE posted:

I love it when they can't even be clever when they re-write words for their own needs.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say just how much I've come to like SA the few years I've been here. A community that seem to almost universally hate on MRA scum and racists as much as I do. Truly, Internet delivers from time to time :)

No, bad! Bad BigglesSWE! Goons must be self-hating at all times, even when there is no call for it!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

2006 was when games went all edgy and mature as some of its users grew up and got super offended when society said gaming was for kids, so developers who were all butthurt about it put in a bunch of sex and tits to prove how games were for grownups and now they've all lost their minds when everyone else said "It doesn't all have to be like that." What's really sad is how much they've latched onto their games and consider it a subculture and identifier, that they obsessively post and attack people online. Their hobby has consumed them and they've developed severe mental illnesses. They need help. Maybe some hugs from their mothers.

And it also turned out that yeah, you really can make games for adults that aren't just an overdose of boobs and exploded heads. The Last of Us is an excellent argument for "video games as an art form", using the M-rated content to essentially portray a TV mini series in playable form. Uncharted 4 is much the same, with a slower pace than the past games in the series and more varied content to give it a truly cinematic feel instead of just a series of expensive setpieces. Unless you're a nostalgia-farting pissbaby, video games today are objectively better than they ever were. Technology has finally reached the point where we can have meaningful stories combined with legitimate, serious acting from professionals.

Another Idiots on Social Media related to video games that always gets me is poo poo like this:

This maybe makes sense if you've never played a modern game and just heard about how they're sold from whining 38-year-olds in sweaty Zelda t-shirts. I don't know of any game today that was released for full price with less content than average, and the increasing storage space available for games (since memory is always getting cheaper) makes it easy for a game to have 200 hours of non-repetitive content (so not including poo poo like collectibles) on top of whatever the DLC provides. Like, I don't know anyone who would argue that Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption was an incomplete game that you needed to pay extra to "finish".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

And it also turned out that yeah, you really can make games for adults that aren't just an overdose of boobs and exploded heads. The Last of Us is an excellent argument for "video games as an art form", using the M-rated content to essentially portray a TV mini series in playable form. Uncharted 4 is much the same, with a slower pace than the past games in the series and more varied content to give it a truly cinematic feel instead of just a series of expensive setpieces. Unless you're a nostalgia-farting pissbaby, video games today are objectively better than they ever were. Technology has finally reached the point where we can have meaningful stories combined with legitimate, serious acting from professionals.

So video games become art by being just like movies.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ah, to be retired and content in how I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Yeah, well if your biology is so messed up that you have to use someone else to pee through then you really should see an ambulance because that's really weird and unnatural. A Good Image Macro.