Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Yeah I thought maybe friendlyjordies until I read the text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Solemn Sloth posted:

the only thing worse about Hack than the people who call in are the loving hosts

Hack shits me but this time my wife was too slow to turn the radio off so I heard some of it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what were their reasons?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

BBJoey posted:

what were their reasons?

Don't feel represented by the major parties is the only one I can remember. I wasn't really listening because there's no excuse for not voting even though I didn't enrol to vote (because I didn't have to as a dirty foreigner on a PR) when I was their age YES I AM A HYPOCRITE I AM ALL I HATE IN THEM

Should be in here fairly early on - Hack only just started when I heard it.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/hack-monday/7423590

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I can certainly understand that view, even if I don't agree with it. When your options are 'gently caress the young and poor' and 'gently caress the young and poor slightly less' it suddenly feels like the best choice is to just abstain entirely; they're not listening to you anyway, why bother pretending they are?

The subject of politics and voting came up at work yesterday, and an Indian woman was telling us that their country's ballots have a straight-up 'I can't vote for either of these parties' option. I doubt that exactly works out, but I bet a specific protest-vote null option would get a lot of use here, especially among the younger voters.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 23, 2016

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
friendlyjordies is awful and should be put to death

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I can't understand it because they live at a time when there is an extremely strong third party fighting from the left and at the very least they can get a democracy sausage out of it. Kids are retarded is what I'm saying

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

BBJoey posted:

I can't understand it because they live at a time when there is an extremely strong third party fighting from the left and at the very least they can get a democracy sausage out of it. Kids are retarded is what I'm saying

I was just thinking I was a right-wing racist when I was 18 and probably would have voted for Andrew Peacock or worse. It's probably just as well I didn't vote.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I don't get it since if the options are "gently caress the poor" and "gently caress the poor a little less" it's still in their interests to select option B rather than just do nothing and accept A. Even though B isn't good, it's still a net benefit.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cleretic posted:

I can certainly understand that view, even if I don't agree with it. When your options are 'gently caress the young and poor' and 'gently caress the young and poor slightly less' it suddenly feels like the best choice is to just abstain entirely; they're not listening to you anyway, why bother pretending they are?

The subject of politics and voting came up at work yesterday, and an Indian woman was telling us that their country's ballots have a straight-up 'I can't vote for either of these parties' option. I doubt that exactly works out, but I bet a specific protest-vote null option would get a lot of use here, especially among the younger voters.

What Iajanus says.

If someone is about to get punched in the face once or twice and it depends on your vote, abstaining is not morally correct.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
You're talking to a proud Greens voter (who now has reasons more direct than vague morals and abstract beliefs to vote for them), guys, don't worry. I think it's poo poo too, I was just saying that I understand the view of 'it's pointless to vote'.

Even the Greens don't really solve it. They were always in line with my beliefs, and they're certainly better than the Ls, but they're not really a party that directly appeals to the youth so much as the only ones who don't hate them for next to no reason.

For young people, there's all stick and no carrot across basically all of politics. Hard to give enough of a poo poo to vote when that's what you're staring down.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Representative Democracy will always be about choosing lesser evils, and it's very difficult to sell that to an already disillusioned youth who would rather not bother.

You should still vote though.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

But I mean is that truism really all that applicable these days? Labor is still really poo poo on refugee policy and they're certainly not going to usher in full communism now, but this election they've announced some pretty hefty policies that differentiate them from the Libs; lifting the Medicare rebate freeze, negative gearing reform, schools funding, an emissions trading scheme - they're definitely a far cry from perfect but they're doing a pretty good job of differentiating themselves in my view.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Participating in a corrupt system only serves to legitimise it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The system legitimises itself, but can be manipulated into not forcing the most absurd form of wage slavery onto the desperate or not brutally tanking the environment in a time of crisis.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

open24hours posted:

It was definitely the rate of informal voting, and unregistered voters that convinced me of the problems of bourgeois democracy. :rolleyes:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You can only write it off like that because there are so few people with the courage to vote informally.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Milky Moor posted:

What Iajanus says.

If someone is about to get punched in the face once or twice and it depends on your vote, abstaining is not morally correct.

No but don't you see by voting you are complicit in the system and give it legitimacy, furthermore

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Hey get this: if you vote, you waive your right to revolution. Pretty catchy eh? Might try it out down the pub later.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

Hey get this: if you vote, you waive your right to revolution. Pretty catchy eh? Might try it out down the pub later.

how do you manage to make the most tedious and banal posts so consistently

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
We noticed this morning during Cormann's presser that he doesn't really blink, but at the end of every answer he scrunches his face together for emphasis. Lizard man confirmed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kat Delacour posted:

We noticed this morning during Cormann's presser that he doesn't really blink, but at the end of every answer he scrunches his face together for emphasis. Lizard man confirmed.

Or a cybernetic organism. Living tissue over a metal endoskeleton. One of the reject models in Cormann's case, supposed to be a janitor at Skynet.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AgentF posted:

Why on earth are One Nation fielding a candidate in South Australia? We already have Family First as our resident right-wing nutjobs :confused:

Gonna start using Facebook and Facebook related products even more now, thanks Steve!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"All the pollies care about are old people and boomers, I'm not even going to enrol to vote"

Pollies care about large voting blocs. By not enrolling to vote you ensure that there are less people in the young people bloc so you directly reduce their power.

If young folks outnumbered oldies you'd see policies change quick smart. Unfortunately we have an aging population :smith:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

open24hours posted:

You can only write it off like that because there are so few people with the courage to vote informally.

Yes I can write it off like that, because at best it's a really ineffective tactic that has never worked anywhere ever and at worst it's a really dumb accelerationist tactic that sees the right entrench their power even further.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"All the pollies care about are old people and boomers, I'm not even going to enrol to vote"

Pollies care about large voting blocs. By not enrolling to vote you ensure that there are less people in the young people bloc so you directly reduce their power.

If young folks outnumbered oldies you'd see policies change quick smart. Unfortunately we have an aging population :smith:

Not for long :twisted:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Greens leader Richard Di Natale has failed to provide documents proving his family paid three au pairs a fair wage, despite promising to do so.

The hole deepens for RDN

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-24/pyne-defends-coalitions-nbn-plans-after-afp-raids/7438732

Remind anyone of a certain "640 kB ought to be enough for anybody" moment?
Keep in mind this is our Minister for "Innovation".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB8pwN-T8gM

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CrazyTolradi posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-24/pyne-defends-coalitions-nbn-plans-after-afp-raids/7438732

Remind anyone of a certain "640 kB ought to be enough for anybody" moment?
Keep in mind this is our Minister for "Innovation".

quote:

Australians do not need the super-fast internet speeds promised when Labor wanted to roll out the National Broadband Network, Liberal frontbencher Christopher Pyne says.

I can't even get a stable ADSL sync at 6MBps in loving Glenmore Park, eat poo poo and gently caress right off Pyne

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
There's certainly points to all this about young non-voters, but I can't be the only one that notices that every single one of these points comes from a view of young, would-be voters being the ones that have to change. That might be true, but it's a perspective that I doubt they're fans of, and it's not necessarily the way it has to be.

There's a huge untapped voting bloc there of disillusioned youth, that just aren't getting spoken to by politics. The party that scores them has a huge advantage, but they're not going to get them by just telling them to vote for parties that don't speak to them in the first place. Rudd was the last person that even tried here, so we're nearing a decade of politics that just flat ignores or even vilifies their existence. Not like there's no justification or evidence; think of Obama, Sanders, Trudeau (I assume, I don't really know CanPol).

Maybe this is something of a weird casualty of mandatory voting. I know such a system is way better than the alternative, don't misread me as being against it, but perhaps being this long in a system with that guaranteed audience left our major parties unprepared to even engage the people who don't enrol to vote.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If anyone cared about getting people to vote they'd be enrolled at birth. For this to go on for so long it has to be intentional.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can't even get a stable ADSL sync at 6MBps in loving Glenmore Park, eat poo poo and gently caress right off Pyne
I know the pain, I've lived in a couple of places that got around that speed. When I did ADSL faults, I had one guy begging me for anything that wasn't dial up, got him just over 1Mbps and it still dropped ten times a day and he was still happy for it. He lived like ten minutes drive south of Adelaide CBD IIRC.

I'm lucky, we average 19-20Mbps where we are now (i checked the cable length from exchange before we applied), but the biggest issue the LNP avoid on this is how loving awful upstream is on all connections across Australia. That is unless you want to pay $40k a month for a 10/10Mbit BDSL service from Telstra.

The benefits of a cheap, easy to access 25/25Mbit connection for people who want to get into areas like graphics, movie creation and media (As well as engineering, I'm told CAD files can be loving huge apparently?). Instead, we have the Minister for "Innovation" saying, nah no one needs this poo poo, it's all a waste when the economic benefit would clearly boost the ability of smaller startup companies in content creation to compete with larger entities.

If we get an LNP government, you're looking at them just giving up with the NBN and selling off it's bits to Telstra because their Telstra buddies are starting to feel the pain and are getting major loses from the project (boo loving hoo right?). They've already gutted it to the point where rollout is crawling at a snails pace and the area it covers is relatively microscopic when compared to the % of population it services.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cleretic posted:

I was trying to figure out who Young Bill Shorten reminded me of. Someone young, smug and self-assured, definitely. Maybe someone from a teen comedy, like maybe an uptight upperclassmen that gets dunked on or pranked?

Then it hit me.

Friendlyjordies.
Tim Ferguson from DAAS is also a candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Ferguson

They are touring and are occasionally funny. Much unlike O24.

We don't need faster broadband because time isn't money and productivity is largely a myth anyway...

quote:

Q&A: Christopher Pyne defends Coalition's NBN plan in wake of controversial AFP raids By Kristian Silva Updated about an hour ago

Australians do not need the super-fast internet speeds promised when Labor wanted to roll out the National Broadband Network, Liberal frontbencher Christopher Pyne says.

Key points:

Christopher Pyne defends Coalition's roll out of NBN
Anthony Albanese says network is about economy, not watching movies
Pyne accuses media of beating up on Immigration Minister over refugee comments
Labor headed into the 2013 election promising its NBN would deliver download speeds of 1Gbps through a network mainly consisting of fibre to the home.

The Coalition's version aims to have significantly slower download speeds of 25Mbps, but was pitched as having a smaller price tag and earlier completion date. In the wake of AFP raids over the leaking of documents showing cost blow-outs with the network, Mr Pyne was asked on Q&A if the Government regretted its policy. "Absolutely not," Mr Pyne said, "And there has not been a delay of the NBN". Mr Pyne, the Minister for Innovation, Science and Industry, said the Coalition's NBN would cost "$30 billion less" and "it will all be finished by 2020, not 2024 as Labor was promising". "[People] simply didn't need the speeds that Labor was promising, but it was costing an absolute bomb.

How's the NBN roll out going for you? After well-publicised cost blowouts and delays, the NBN will be offering significantly faster internet speeds across Australia by 2020. How's the roll out going in your patch?

"You will be able to watch five full-length movies in the same household if you all want to at the same time. "Which is a lot of movies. That's a lot of televisions."

Mr Pyne's rival on the program, Labor shadow infrastructure and transport spokesman Anthony Albanese, responded by saying "the NBN isn't about movies, it's about our economy and how it functions". "Malcolm Turnbull's fraud-band is double the cost of what ... he said it would be. "It is half the speed of what he said it would be. And the delay is extraordinary." Mr Albanese criticised the Coalition for continuing to use copper wiring, technology he described as "19th Century stuff".
"When we said that he was going to produce coppers to the home, we didn't think it was literally. But that's what happened last week," Mr Albanese said, in reference to the AFP raids. Late last year the NBN was forced to defend its roll out, despite leaked documents showing major concerns about the state of the Optus cable network. Leaked briefing notes showed NBN considered the Optus network — which it bought for $800 million in August — was "not fully fit for purpose", and that some equipment would need to be replaced. The notes indicated about 470,000 premises could need to be reconnected to accommodate the NBN.

Media accused of 'twisting' Dutton comments

Mr Pyne also leapt to the defence of Peter Dutton, after an audience member asked if the Liberal Party was "super embarrassed" by the Immigration Minister after last week's controversy over refugees.

Mr Dutton drew criticism after saying increasing the refugee intake to 50,000 would result in an influx of illiterate and innumerate refugees who would take Australian jobs and put pressure on Medicare and Centrelink services, resulting in "huge cost". Mr Pyne said the comments were "spun out of context" and criticised the media for twisting Mr Dutton's words. "It costs a great deal of money to have those settlement services, and he was making the point that if you increase that to 50,000, someone has to pay for that," Mr Pyne said. "He wasn't in the least bit trying to talk down refugees." Mr Albanese accused Mr Dutton of "dog-whistling", and while he backed the Coalition's offshore processing stance, he called for a more effective resettlement process for refugees.

Both Mr Pyne and Mr Albanese said refugees had made a valuable contribution to Australian society.

Very generous considering. Does Albo think Canada is a tin pot failed third world government?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-24/election-live-may-24/7438420

quote:

Election Live: Canada could take our refugees, Labor says

Labor frontbencher Anthony Albanese has suggested Canada could be a suitable country for Australia to enter into a deal to resettle refugees. Neither major party is in favour of resettling refugees who travel by boat in Australia.

Today's visit from the gently caress up fairy brought to you by ALP & LNP!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Does ALBO read 4chan?
"Duh put them in Sweden!"

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I think Pyne's right, we really don't need fast internet speeds. We should be concentrating on manufactur... Oh...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Maybe scien- oh...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
hahahaha Di Natale didn't even keep timesheets of his au pair's hours, but nah I'm sure we can trust that they weren't working more than 25 hours a week :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

From 7-11 to The Greens. :allears:

• Locked thread