Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

flosofl posted:

Wait, firewalls between units in townhouses isn't a thing? Huh, I'd just assumed it would be not just for restricting the speed of combustion but for the acoustic dampening as well.

This is the main reason I'm happy to be renting a normal house even though my last (townhouse-style) apartment was nicer and cheaper.

In the townhouse I had the wall pounded on a few times when I decided to listen to something a bit too loud. Not like "feel it across the parking lot" levels, just a bit loud.

In the normal house I can crank my system to cat-hiding-under-bed, uncomfortable to be in the same room levels and no one cares. It's barely even six feet outside of the house.

edit: Just to be clear, I'm not talking about late at night or anything, I work from home so I tend to do that sort of thing in the early afternoon between calls.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our house has minimal windows on the West side because
1. The rooms already have big windows facing South or North
2. Harsh hot late afternoon light
3. Closets and storage
4. Privacy on a small lot

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
All my bedrooms have one window, just enough to meet firecode ( but gently caress jumping from my 2nd story windows. . .) and I like having windowless walls so I can hang poo poo. Keeping with the one fire window per room, it just makes sense to have the windows overlook the large front or backyard instead of the neighbors house.

That said, one room in my house has a side firewall, and I can stand in there and stalk my neighbor since their living room and dining room windows face that window.

I will say the lovely thing about my house is it only has two front windows, one is over a staircase and the other is above the master bathtub. I guess my kids will have to stand outside to watch for the school bus, but that's not my problem.

Fake edit: aren't builders grade McMansion grade windows usually poorly insulated? Just another reason to not want an extra window to the neighbors house.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crotch Fruit posted:

I will say the lovely thing about my house is it only has two front windows, one is over a staircase and the other is above the master bathtub. I guess my kids will have to stand outside to watch for the school bus, but that's not my problem.

Your kids will use IP cameras through their phones, gramps.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Platystemon posted:

Share a wall with the neighbours.

But we can’t have that. Only poors live that way.

gently caress that ever again, sharing a wall with the neighbors is how we got mushrooms growing up out of the living room carpet and outlets.

Wanting a separate home isn't just about noise, it's also about preventing your neighbors' poor decisions from ruining everything you own. When the houses aren't connected at the hip it takes a lot more trouble to damage someone else's. I consider yards to be a combination moat/firebreak.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How did they pull that off? Ignored a water leak?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have friends that live in a weird house, it's part of a square of 8 pairs of semi-detached houses with gardens in the middle, they all have few and small windows on the outside of the square, many and large on the inside. Turns out they're old RAF staff houses and partly designed to be easily defended in the event of a ground invasion.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

flosofl posted:

Wait, firewalls between units in townhouses isn't a thing? Huh, I'd just assumed it would be not just for restricting the speed of combustion but for the acoustic dampening as well.

Double 5/8" drywall (minimum code for separation) isn't really much for soundproofing.

It's been a long time since a block wall was required as a firewall.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Double 5/8" drywall (minimum code for separation) isn't really much for soundproofing.

So glad my place exceeds that by a good margin.

I can somewhat hear the grand piano that sits by one shared wall. No biggie-- she only plays during the day and she's rather good. The important thing is that I can't hear the screaming baby through the other shared wall.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Do you know how hard it is to drill peepholes through brick

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

frozenpussy posted:

Not very if you use the correct drill?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Discretely though. You can drill through drywall with a spoon.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Discretely though. You can drill through drywall with a spoon.

A hand drill and a jig like you see them use in the movies for safe cracking.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

frozenpussy posted:

The harder part is getting it to line up exactly with the eyes of the portrait on the other side

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I did admin and contract draft work for a small government contractor who also had residential maintenance contracts, and in the first two weeks I spent time in the field with the technicians. This is an attic of a condominium where the air handler was in the ceiling above the shower. Someone had not only Hulk smashed their way through two layers of drywall, they had also put their foot through the ceiling above the air handler. The condensation made all the drywall around the bathroom soggy and droopy, and the resident was disgruntled as he could be. To cover our asses and also because he was being a colossal douche, we visited the leasing office over break to show them pictures of what was apparently a DIY LAN cable install. These are just two pictures from the set, it's more of the same type of shots of LAN cables running all over the attic on top of the insulation. The condos didn't come with any LAN installs.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I can't help but wonder what is going on here:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

CopperHound posted:

I can't help but wonder what is going on here:

that was one of our adapters for a phone, I think.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Motronic posted:

when I was doing town house construction the code was a block wall every 4 units for a fire wall, but drywall otherwise.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Anyone want to take a guess as to why a 3-year old water heater would be leaking like that?

They used cast iron connectors

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why don't they build ROW houses anymore? Not "townhouses" that are just glorified condos with lovely party walls between them but still one building with a shared roof and structure, but just narrow independently built buildings that happen to have 0 setbacks on the side walls? No strata, no common property, 1 lot, 1 building, side walls touching but separate structures. It seems like the best of both worlds. You can design/build/own your own house in what ever style you want, but still enjoy a dense walkable neighbourhood.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Why don't they build ROW houses anymore?

Because people like windows.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

kid sinister posted:

Because people like windows.

He said ironically, following up a multipage discussion about how so many houses built today have no or hardy any windows on 2 out of 4 sides.

Or did I spring a :thejoke: trap?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Why don't they build ROW houses anymore? Not "townhouses" that are just glorified condos with lovely party walls between them but still one building with a shared roof and structure, but just narrow independently built buildings that happen to have 0 setbacks on the side walls? No strata, no common property, 1 lot, 1 building, side walls touching but separate structures. It seems like the best of both worlds. You can design/build/own your own house in what ever style you want, but still enjoy a dense walkable neighbourhood.

Because people don't want dense walkable neighborhoods, they want space.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Khizan posted:

An unusable sliver of it between their house and the neighbour’s? :confused:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

An unusable sliver of it between their house and the neighbour’s? :confused:

Yes. Same reason people aren't rear end to dick when standing in a line.

Some people like yards too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Khizan posted:

I grew up in a rowhouse in Upper Fells Point, Baltimore Maryland in the 60s, and it was awesome.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FCKGW posted:

I don’t lean against walls. You never know if someone is leaning on the other side. That would be gay. :ohdear:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

FCKGW posted:

Maybe not your lines...

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Some people like yards too.

Where do you live cause fuckers crowd me like crazy.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
from reddit

House had no proper ground, Electricity grounds out through Gas line

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

frozenpussy posted:

from reddit

Is it... glowing? :stare:

Who stands around long enough to take one picture, let alone two?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I just laid out a subdivision similar to this this last week. Auckland has a massive housing availability problem atm, so a lot of the usual restrictions that prevent densification have been relaxed in new build areas. The houses were separate, but with a block firewall on one side placed right against the boundary, so that they can get an increased yard space in the sunny side of the section. It also stops your neighbors on either side from seeing into your house. Private open space is still a joke though.

Had some crappy construction there, I first surveyed it out in march, 16 houses, 64 marker pegs, took a day and a half to get it all done. A little bigger than normal job for me, but so far so good. Then last week I get told to go out to the site and fix up any pegs that got knocked out. Turns out the earthmovers built the site 300mm too low so they bowled every marker putting in more fill. I wonder if the client will notice the extra $4800 for all the houses to be surveyed twice?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

frozenpussy posted:

from reddit

Federal Pacific strikes again!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why don't they build row houses with zero setback? Probably zoning in most places.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Magnus Praeda posted:

Is it... glowing? :stare:

Who stands around long enough to take one picture, let alone two?

Someone who places entertaining the internet masses above their own safety. A true patriot!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I'd like to believe they cut power first. But the lights were on.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
That's the kind of thing you risk your life to take a photo of, simply because no-one would believe you without photographic proof.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

spog posted:

That's the kind of thing you risk your life to take a photo of, simply because no-one would believe you without photographic proof.

Even with photos people won't believe you.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Gummi nuts. They're tools, AND candy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

GotLag posted:

Even with photos people won't believe you.

My favorite part of this picture is the extra termination on the bolt next to the glowing one, but one bolt left the wire is cut and it could have been used instead.