Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The Origin manga is a lot of money to put in but it looks gorgeous on my bookshelf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

TheManSeries posted:

I contributed to that. Its not as cool as the G Gundam one.

Is that the one that has "FRY THE SKY" in the opening.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lemon-Lime posted:

The translation/speech bubble layout isn't the best, but it's worth it for the art and how nice the hardbacks look.

I don't mind shelling out for a big omnibus on cheaper paper or a digital version. 25-35 per issue's just a ridiculous amount to me. I have a ton of books I like to have on shelves and not enough space for all of them, so as far as I'm concerned, them being hardback is bad even if I love it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, I can understand that. As it is, I spent my £240 on those 12 issues and ended up having to buy a bookshelf to hold them. :sweatdrop:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, I can understand that. As it is, I spent my £240 on those 12 issues and ended up having to buy a bookshelf to hold them. :sweatdrop:

I just bought them as they came out. You snooze, you lose :smuggo:.

Seriously though, they're really beautiful hardcover books and well worth the price.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Is that the one that has "FRY THE SKY" in the opening.

Yup. It was a lot of fun too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So Gundam Breaker 3: do parts become available in much the same order for everyone, or is it random. I was playing a sort of Gelgoog J/Jesta hybrid with the GN Sword III you get at the start, but the first boss dropped, among the other apparently random parts, the 00 Seven Sword backpack, and the Buster Sword and Blaster seem to just be nuts. So now I've just assembled Gundam with that and it's actually hard to imagine how anything else can be better.

And is it me, or is the GN Sword III rifle mode just broken good? It seems odd you start with a piddly machine gun equipped as your gun when the alt mode of your sword is so good. Whatever, having fun even if I seem to have no agency in the story. But I get to break face with Gundams, so that's fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

So Gundam Breaker 3: do parts become available in much the same order for everyone, or is it random. I was playing a sort of Gelgoog J/Jesta hybrid with the GN Sword III you get at the start, but the first boss dropped, among the other apparently random parts, the 00 Seven Sword backpack, and the Buster Sword and Blaster seem to just be nuts. So now I've just assembled Gundam with that and it's actually hard to imagine how anything else can be better.

And is it me, or is the GN Sword III rifle mode just broken good? It seems odd you start with a piddly machine gun equipped as your gun when the alt mode of your sword is so good. Whatever, having fun even if I seem to have no agency in the story. But I get to break face with Gundams, so that's fine.

It's somewhat random. The three major factors are what parts drop, if you get a Hot-Spot, and what random high-level enemies/other players spawn during a mission.

That said, don't mistake high-power in-universe for high-power in game. For a long time I was rocking a Gouf heat sword and a Ground Gundam Beam rifle that were several orders of magnitude more powerful than anything else I could access and certain movesets are powerful even with a huge level divide. (The Destiny Gundam's arms for example are *broke as poo poo* due to the Destiny Finger move being insane. It's a no-cost, instant-recharge move that stuns enemies and ignores defenses. You can stunlock pretty much anything that isn't a giant boss in the game with it.)

Most stuff will begin to get outdated fairly quickly. Higher-level parts are better *by default* than lower level parts you level up, if just because they begin to get random bonuses that the lower level ones don't get. It's still worth powering a part you like up if it's been reliable but if you get the chance to upgrade it's going to work out better.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 23, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This stuff reminds me that I never figured out the expected gameplay flow in Breaker 2. I could never tell whether the game wanted me to spend my points on research, upgrading parts (if it did, it doesn't actually give you anywhere near enough materials) or buying complete kits from the vendor.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm still not really clear on how I should be updating my Gunpla, there's 4 types of merge and I don't understand any of them, and I can throw plastic at things to level them up. And I can access extra systems through certain parts like Trans Am from the Twin Drive.

The DK Rap
May 12, 2010
You know him well.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm still not really clear on how I should be updating my Gunpla, there's 4 types of merge and I don't understand any of them, and I can throw plastic at things to level them up. And I can access extra systems through certain parts like Trans Am from the Twin Drive.

Pair Merge lets you put the skills from a donor part onto your current part (and feeding it a part that's a step up in rarity will bring it up to that level, adding a skill slot) along with an EXP boost, Package Merge just gives you bulk EXP from lots of parts with no ability transfers, Plastic Merge lets you spend plastic to gain EXP along with applying skill-enhancing cubes later on, and Derive Merge combines it with another part to produce a different part.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basically the parts:

Plastic Merge is feeding it EXP. This is the one you'll use most because plastic becomes outdated quickly so it's better to just feed it to parts you like than hold onto it
Pair Merge merges two pieces together and lets you pick which skills from each you get. Merging a lower-rank item with a higher-rank items increases the rank. This lets you equip more skills. Mostly used to build up already high-level parts.
Derive Merge lets you combine two parts to get new parts. This is borderline worthless because you're more likely to find the parts you want just playing the game.
Package Merge lets you turn a lot of excess junk into extra EXP. Not super worth it unless you're just finding yourself too bloated with low-level parts but have an excess of GP.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

This stuff reminds me that I never figured out the expected gameplay flow in Breaker 2. I could never tell whether the game wanted me to spend my points on research, upgrading parts (if it did, it doesn't actually give you anywhere near enough materials) or buying complete kits from the vendor.

GB2 expected you to grind for materials like crazy. Buying kits is always a bad idea, but if you need a rare drop part that's just not happening it may be the only way to get what you want without spending a lot of time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

GB2 expected you to grind for materials like crazy. Buying kits is always a bad idea, but if you need a rare drop part that's just not happening it may be the only way to get what you want without spending a lot of time.

Well, that explains it, thanks. I'll probably just put GB2 away and not touch it, since I'll have GB3 at some point in the future.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

BizarroAzrael posted:

even if I seem to have no agency in the story.

Is it like White Knight Chronicles in that sense? Sounds like it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BizarroAzrael posted:

i'm pretending that i'm literally me and im just some dude on a travel visa going to tournaments with a prepubescent robot and japanese girl

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished the equivalent manga chapters to episode 3 of The Origin today, and one thing that immediately struck me is that Char is much more sociopathic in the anime version. The whole subplot of the roommate figuring out that Char is Casval but wanting to serve him still anyways and then eventually getting murdered is an almost complete invention of the anime. In the manga, from what I can tell he's just gay for Char and then is unfortunately killed during the takeover of the Federation base, presumably by Feddie soldiers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The anime makes a bunch of dumb changes that compound the manga's already somewhat questionable changes, so I'm not very fond of it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Char did nothing wrong."

-what 99% of the Japanese think. Tomino is the 1%.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

:yikes:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shinjobi posted:

I do not think that is accurate

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
First off, for those sums to work, there could only be 100 Japanese people, counting Yoshiyuki Tomino

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I love Char but he's crazy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Crazy as a SPACE FOX.

Seriously now, you know who did everything wrong? Monsha.

gently caress you Monsha.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Shinjobi posted:

That feel when you google the population of Japan and accidentally misread 127.3 million Japanese as 1.273 million Japanese.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shinjobi posted:

Only for the guys who made IGLOO and their Zeon fetish. Other than that, even when the shows in the UC are at their most nihilistic, they're really good at balancing the antagonists by giving them human emotions. Barring the occasional Colonel Killing, mind you.

The trouble is that the shows can end up being a little *too* good at this balance, because then you get people missing the point of Zeon. They are without a doubt the villains of the show, so that empathetic side to them means they can very often be misinterpreted as the underdogs fighting a just war of independence. Just remind people who say this that the Federation never dropped a colony on the earth for the sole purpose of murder.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 24, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You know it would be kind of great to have a discussion about Char that isn't about CCA or Zeta for once...

Does anyone actually DEFEND his killing of Garma?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Only for the guys who made IGLOO and their Zeon fetish. Other than that, even when the shows in the UC are at their most nihilistic, they're really good at balancing the antagonists by giving them human emotions. Barring the occasional Colonel Killing, mind you.

The trouble is that the shows can end up being a little *too* good at this balance, because then you get people missing the point of Zeon. They are without a doubt the villains of the show, so that empathetic side to them means they can very often be misinterpreted as the underdogs fighting a just war of independence. Just remind people who say this that the Federation never dropped a colony on the earth for the sole purpose of murder.

Dont forget murdering said colony's civilian population with a gas attack in order to do so.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raxivace posted:

You know it would be kind of great to have a discussion about Char that isn't about CCA or Zeta for once...

Does anyone actually DEFEND his killing of Garma?

As what, an objectively morally just act, or as something that makes perfect sense to Char given his goal? Because no one is going to defend it as the former, but it doesn't need defending as the latter. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Again, balancing antagonism with human emotion. Garma dozle and even kycilia have moments that make you respect them, but you cannot escape the stain that the zabi name leaves on you. So even if killing Garma was morally right from char's pov, and it certainly marked the shift in degwin's views on the war leading to zeon downfall, it is still seen as tragic that anyone had to die at all

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I don't remember ever seeing enough to make me adequately dislike Garma, or especially his girlfriend who I think I recall dying when she fainted and fell off a plane?

Char murdered Garma before he was really explored as a character so I hadn't even developed an opinion on him. I guess from what I remember, he seemed like a pretty okay guy. For a Zabi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xinder posted:

For a Zabi.

The important bit. I mean, even Mineva, nice as she is in comparison, still has to deal with the stigma of being related to the worst mass genocide family in human history.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I was just saying how Alfred was the only child character that didn't annoy me at some point in all of Gundam so far, but I forgot about Mineva. I don't think she's done anything that bothered me either. She didn't exactly have a lot of screeentime to explore her personality but she seemed like a pretty good person. She didn't even seem too spoiled, which I imagine she has to be since she's the princess and only surviving heir of a warlord family but it doesn't come across in her personality that I noticed. I just remember her really liking Char.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xinder posted:

I don't remember ever seeing enough to make me adequately dislike Garma, or especially his girlfriend who I think I recall dying when she fainted and fell off a plane?

Char murdered Garma before he was really explored as a character so I hadn't even developed an opinion on him. I guess from what I remember, he seemed like a pretty okay guy. For a Zabi.

Garma's meant to be pitiable, if anything. Maybe somewhat haughty and spoiled, but point's that Char would murder even a good friend for the sake of revenge.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 24, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Didn't one of the side mangas/novels/games/whatevers show Dozle off a bit more, and pretty much paint him as a bit of an aggressive hothead, but an overall nice guy? I remember that coming up at some point in the thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dozel is characterized both in sidestories and in the novels as someone who really likes fighting. He is not the worst Zabi but he is the definition of a warmonger, someone who actively enjoys fighting and killing and is deep enough into Zabi territory that he's convinced himself he's on the right side.

He is someone who probably could be made less of an rear end in a top hat but mostly if he was pointed towards guys who are more acceptable to kill. The fact he cares for his wife and child doesn't change that. (And just makes it a bit sadder.) The Origin basically states he met his wife when she held him hostage which he found the hottest thing ever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The worst thing about Char killing Garma is that its not as cool as how he killed Kycilia

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
All I remember of Dozle was how huge of a badass he was. He went down hard.

So in my eyes he's a hero.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's hard to top decapitating someone with a rocket, but "Blame the misfortune of your birth" is still a pretty rad line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think I am actually going to stop watching 83 and go to Zeta because I kinda miss Char. I hope he somehow gets mud on Amuro's pants again