Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i dunno, man, some of the avatars on these forums are top notch. how can a simple Tails avatar compare with something like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midgetjacks
Mar 1, 2012
I've been lurking about forever, so why not post where I can doubly make a fool of myself. I've been wanting to take a stab at a LP, and this casual place to do so seems to be the perfect place for me to awkwardly drop an equally awkward video at your feet.

So here it is: Arma Tactics . Starting at the top, and then failing, the first mission, with more attempts to follow. Probably.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

midgetjacks posted:

I've been lurking about forever, so why not post where I can doubly make a fool of myself. I've been wanting to take a stab at a LP, and this casual place to do so seems to be the perfect place for me to awkwardly drop an equally awkward video at your feet.

So here it is: Arma Tactics . Starting at the top, and then failing, the first mission, with more attempts to follow. Probably.

Hey, I just watched this. It's not bad at all. I have a couple comments, but I'm pretty new at this also, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

On the technical side, your capture footage looks good, and your voice-over quality is good. Especially early in the video, you have a lot of breathing sound coming through. Assuming that your voice is being recorded separately from your game audio, there's a couple things you do to fix this with a little post-production. However, since it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem during the second half of the video, it's also something you might be able to just stay aware of and mediate through your speaking and breathing practices.

My other comment concerns something less tangible. This is just my opinion, and it's the sort of thing I'm struggling with in my own videos, so please take this is the most constructive way possible. I think that your style of game in particular is going to be hard to make engaging videos about. It's a game with a reasonable amount of complexity, but the details of this complexity aren't available to the viewer. While I was watching your video, it was hard for me to get into it because I wasn't familiar with the game, and it was hard for me to stay interested in the gameplay. I feel like there's two directions you could go with a game like this. One is to learn more about the game so that your commentary can be more educational to the viewer. If I was playing the game, like you are, I would be able to get a feel for what's going on and how the game works, but it doesn't really come across watching you do it. If you instead were confidently introducing me to how the game worked as you played, I might be more interested in the gameplay. The other way is, since you yourself are still figuring out the game, make a faster-paced video where we get to learn about the game with you. it's the sort of game where you might not be able to play faster, but maybe you could edit some of your "thinking time" out of the videos, so that the viewer gets to see you trying things and then you both learn about the game through your success or failure.

Right now you're kind of doing a bit of both. Which I understand. It's great that at the beginning, you introduce the game and explain some of the mechanics. I liked that. But then for the second half of the video, I don't really learn anything about the game except that it's kind of frustrating and hard to understand how to engage the enemy.

Really I think it's a good first video. But I think you've picked a game that is challenging to present in an interesting way to a spectator. Good luck, and keep at it!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Yeah. Breathing problems can be fixed with some mic discipline. Try to not be up on the mic unless you're about to say something. I've been having to work on that too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

mikeycp posted:

Yeah. Breathing problems can be fixed with some mic discipline. Try to not be up on the mic unless you're about to say something. I've been having to work on that too.

Noise gates are really useful for this too. It means the mic doesn't record unless it goes over a certain level you can set, and is really useful for background noise too. I currently use OBS to record, but I'm fairly sure most recording software has options for it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't use a noisegate while I'm recording, but I use an autogate in post to remove any sound below a certain threshold after I've done my normalization -> noise reduction -> compression -> normalization cycle. Then I go through all my footage and manually chop out any unwanted audio, which is a pain, but by this point I'm done with audacity and I'm back in premiere and I can chop video at the same time as I'm cutting out unwanted audio. Once all the editing is done, both audio tracks go back to audacity for autoducking and then back into premiere. Everything is still wav files at this point, so as far as I understand it, I'm not losing anything by moving them back and forth like that.

I used to go through and chop out unwanted sounds in audacity, but since I also use premiere, it's more convenient to just do it there.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Zenithe posted:

Noise gates are really useful for this too. It means the mic doesn't record unless it goes over a certain level you can set, and is really useful for background noise too. I currently use OBS to record, but I'm fairly sure most recording software has options for it.

This too. Though you have to be careful with them though. I've had a lot of issues with them, so I just do manual noise removal. So long as you get a bit of room tone you can get rid of background in Reaper like it's nothing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
be like Tay Zonday and turn away from the mic when you have to breathe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Or keep the breathing in and do ASMR let's plays!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

CJacobs posted:

Get all those crisp saliva noises in there.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Be sure to unwrap some hard candies right into the mic too. I want to get the tingles from it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Blind Sally posted:

be like Tay Zonday and turn away from the mic when you have to breathe.
I didn't want to be the one to say it. Thank you.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I googled this, and now I don't know what's happening :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am sorry/glad to have introduced you to the world of ASMR, depending on how you feel about it, friend.

midgetjacks
Mar 1, 2012
Thanks for all the input! I don't currently do a separate voice track, though I do have Reaper, so I might look into that once I get a handle on things. I did notice the breathing when playing it back before uploading, and also the dead spots and, well, kinda worthlessness of large chunks of the commentary. But! :tbear:

Nope, hold on. Aha! :petdog:

Wait wait wait, think I got it
:justpost:

So I said to hell with my awkward nervous anxiety bullshit, and I did what the flashing sign told me to. Both of them!

Anywho, I wasn't completely ignored, which means a whole bunch to me. So I vow to you, Casual LP Thread, to continue low efforting my way through this game, and sharing the results. Speaking of which! Episode 2: Sneaky sneaky stabby stabby. This was recorded before I got a chance to see your advice, so expect more breathing! And awkwardness! But I did beat the first level, so that's cool. And also the game started falling apart, which was mostly cool.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

CJacobs posted:

my two minute episode of :catdrugs: uncovered that yes, this is a thing.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

midgetjacks posted:

Thanks for all the input! I don't currently do a separate voice track, though I do have Reaper, so I might look into that once I get a handle on things.

You absolutely should. It's a bit of a shakeup WRT workflow, but it makes a huuuuge difference.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

midgetjacks posted:

Thanks for all the input! I don't currently do a separate voice track, though I do have Reaper, so I might look into that once I get a handle on things. I did notice the breathing when playing it back before uploading, and also the dead spots and, well, kinda worthlessness of large chunks of the commentary. But! :tbear:
You should really do it as soon as possible. Yeah change can be intimidating, but it will give you the power to edit out any awkward speech you don't want, without missing out on good gameplay that goes with it. You can edit out pauses in your commentary to smooth out what you're trying to communicate. Also, it lets you have "do-overs". Sometimes I completely flub a word, just mangle a sentence. So what do I do? I just say the sentence again clearly. Then in editing, I cut out the fuckup and scoot the second take over. Obviously I'd love to be able to give good, live commentary without having to do things like that, but having that option is really, really great. For example, I say "um" a lot without realizing it, and I've been working on saying it less, but I can cut out half my "ums" in editing and no one is the wiser.

quote:

So I said to hell with my awkward nervous anxiety bullshit, and I did what the flashing sign told me to. Both of them!

Anywho, I wasn't completely ignored, which means a whole bunch to me. So I vow to you, Casual LP Thread, to continue low efforting my way through this game, and sharing the results. Speaking of which! Episode 2: Sneaky sneaky stabby stabby. This was recorded before I got a chance to see your advice, so expect more breathing! And awkwardness! But I did beat the first level, so that's cool. And also the game started falling apart, which was mostly cool.
I have to get some sleep, but I'll check out your second vid in the morning!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Snak posted:

For example, I say "um" a lot without realizing it, and I've been working on saying it less, but I can cut out half my "ums" in editing and no one is the wiser.

Make sure to not edit them all out though. I used to do that for podcasts and they don't sound as natural without a few here and there.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

mikeycp posted:

Make sure to not edit them all out though. I used to do that for podcasts and they don't sound as natural without a few here and there.

Yeah, I don't. There are ones that are part of my natural speaking, which I leave in, and then there are ones that are redundant, or are part of pauses that I am truncating. It's definitely a balance.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That said, for LPs I usually only take out sport where we pause so one of us can step away for a sec or something. The rest I leave pretty raw, except for sound quality improvements.

It's podcasts where I heavily edit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Let's Play UNCHARTED - Part 4: Explosive Barrels Respawn
Nathan Drake's trusty pistol falls between a crate and the wall and he can't get it out.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
My cousin just got Steam, and wanted to play Rust, that Day-Z ish survival mess, where you're as likely to be killed by teenage griefers as you are by a randomly-spawning attack helicopter.

And you are VERY likely to be killed by a randomly-spawning attack helicopter.

There are no zombies anymore, and the game is a mix of running in terror from other people, running in terror from bears, running in terror from attack helicopters, and, in my case, finding a purpose for your life.

I have no plans for this, but I'll update it as often as something funny happens.

Edit: if it helps you understand Rust, I was gunned down by an attack helicopter not 10 seconds after that last screenshot was taken. No, really.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 25, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We're here! Look how far we've come! We finished Myst!
This episode is just checking out all the other endings. As you may recall, we already finished the good end...

Not 100% sure what I'm doing after this. I of course have Yakuza 2 still going in its own thread, but I think I might go for Ape Escape as my next project. I would need to assess how many episodes that might end up being before I decide if it's going in here or it's own thread, though.

Anyway, hope at least someone enjoyed this! Myst is a cool game!
--

Episode 14 - The Ends

---
Episode List: Playlist
Episode 1 - The Stranger
Episode 2 - Groundwork
Episode 2.5 - Channelwood Lore
Episode 3 - Ewok Village
Episode 3.5 - Stoneship Lore
Episode 4 - Rough Waters
Episode 5 - Lost at Sea
Episode 6 - Maestro
Episode 6.5 - Selenitic Lore
Episode 7 - Rocket Man
Episode 8 - Rollercoaster
Episode 9 - Get in Gear
Episode 9.5 - My Personal Hell
Episode 9.75 - Mechanical Lore
Episode 10 - Goose Chase
Episode 11 - A Bit Late
Episode 12 - The End Begins
Episode 13 - Garbage Puzzle
Episode 14 - The Ends

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Congrats! Myst is pretty sweet, I am probably never going to play a Myst game so it was interesting to see it in video form.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I think we also want to do Riven at some point, but I don't think we're quite ready to tackle that yet.

I do recall Riven being even better, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

mikeycp posted:

I think we also want to do Riven at some point, but I don't think we're quite ready to tackle that yet.

I do recall Riven being even better, though.

I think Riven is the best Myst game. Myst 3 is good, though. I didn't play past that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Snak posted:

I think Riven is the best Myst game. Myst 3 is good, though. I didn't play past that.

Myst 3 is the one I remember the most. I remember liking it. I played the MMO for a video and it's...very unfortunate. Like seriously, look at this traaaaash.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dark Souls II, NG++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lBDseL6Gcc

I need to stop being so :effort: about posting these videos, don't I? Anyway, I like No Man's Wharf for being an area with water without requiring you to trudge through large amounts of it. In the original game, clearing the entire area is a significant gauntlet considering weapon durability and the fact that there's only one shortcut, so I'm thankful that I could largely pull it off despite being sloppy with a spear. Really, considering how useful a two-handed spear is at poking enemies from range, you'd think I wouldn't have had the trouble I did.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

Youtube

This time we're still aboard the Salvation, but at least we get a good force power that I'm not using often enough.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dark Souls II, NG++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM57AxeE3oo

Something I may have forgotten to mention in this video is that it's possible to farm for the Ruin Set, though the relevant location is notably later on. Sadly you still can't get their lucerne hammer and round shield. (The in-game Lucerne is apparently a bec de corbin, because From can get sketchy when digging through the names of medieval European weaponry.) Additionally, I missed showing off their Captain America-style shield toss, but at least I managed to grab a still shot of a later rerun of the area.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I totally forgot to come in here and say that my Let's Play for Cities Skylines finished off well! Some people became very, very frustrated with me for making a giant highway interchange that had no on-ramps, but otherwise it was a painless, fun time. I'm going to come back to Skylines at some point, but right now I am recording some Civilization V that I think will be really fun.

I've also got a completed Beyond: Two Souls Let's Play that is currently going up if people are interested in that.

CITIES SKYLINES: GOODTIMES STATION
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Trizophenie posted:

Youtube

This time we're still aboard the Salvation, but at least we get a good force power that I'm not using often enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_YBOMtW6zM&t=467s

voting crow for best reaction.

gently caress you, starkiller!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:siren::siren::siren:OFF-WORLD INTERCEPTOR EXTREME - EXTREME UPDATE 4 - PLANET LAS LUNAS & KREEP SANGINI:siren::siren::siren:

The 90s will never die, but you will.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I enjoy your choice of music!

edit: except for one specific song that I think we all recognize by now

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

edit: except for one specific song that I think we all recognize by now

Which one? Could you provide a link for myself and the thread to click on?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

:siren::siren::siren:OFF-WORLD INTERCEPTOR EXTREME - EXTREME UPDATE 4 - PLANET LAS LUNAS & KREEP SANGINI:siren::siren::siren:

The 90s will never die, but you will.

I'm glad to see the grand tradition of "Sally and/or Crow torments CJacobs with Sanic" is alive and well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

Which one? Could you provide a link for myself and the thread to click on?

Sure man, I was talking about this one!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dark Souls II, NG++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7yinn-NpAk

I mentioned in the previous video's description that the Ruin Sentinel fight is comparable to DS1's Belfry Gargoyle fight, in that it's tough but fair at presenting multiple enemies to manage at once. This, well...not so much. See, the actual Belfry Gargoyle fight in DS2 is one of those "knifefight in a closet" encounters, but not in a good way. You'll have to down a total of five, generally three at a time. Hence I decided to declare gently caress This and pulled out some sorceries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I've been continuing making DKC3 videos but keep forgetting to put them in this thread. Lets Play is hard.

02: Kremwood Forest

03: Mekanos

There's a 4th video too, but I feel like putting 3 videos in one post would not look nice, and will save it for when I have a 5th video :)