Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hygiene can be trickier than that. Sometimes people just legitimately never learn how it all works. Second, poor hygiene can be a sign of depression.

Take this slowly and carefully, cover all the bases, give the employee all the tools they need to succeed.

Yea, thinking on it further he probably can't JUST drop the guy. There probably needs to be a paper trail of the guy continuously failing, despite documented notifications and repeated warnings.

I'm all for $assistant succeeding, but I'm also out of patience with a few of my own coworkers. Of course, I don't owe a guy I'll never see a dozen states away any slack :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

RFC2324 posted:

I usually let them know the new password on the way out, and tell them what I did to improve performance and security. :science:

For my curiousity, do you enjoy getting tech support calls for the next 12 months about totally unrelated things because they associate the fact you touched something IT related so you must have broken something else?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

iajanus posted:

For my curiousity, do you enjoy getting tech support calls for the next 12 months about totally unrelated things because they associate the fact you touched something IT related so you must have broken something else?

Its never happened at a place where they could later locate me, oddly. They always end up calling someone who knows nothing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

I usually let them know the new password on the way out, and tell them what I did to improve performance and security. :science:

This is illegal hth.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spankmeister posted:

This is illegal hth.

Very much so. RFC2324 was very lucky no one took exception to it, I'd recommend no one do the same.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To clarify, it's not illegal to tell them, it's illegal to access their system without authorisation even if you don't have to break in.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

To clarify, it's not illegal to tell them, it's illegal to access their system without authorisation even if you don't have to break in.

True, and using a default user/pass is technically already breaking in, so be careful.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

Also, yesterday I was in the emergency room with my son from 1:30am to around noon (this also directly influenced the preceding story's decision making). I emailed the director at about 4:30am saying that I would likely not be in for a while and would be missing the end of year employee report meeting, but would email my report to everyone when I got in. 8:00am rolls around and as I'm holding my son hooked up to machines and IVs, director calls me furiously inquiring why I am not at the meeting. I informed him I had already emailed him why I was not in, but it was due to a medical emergency and I would be in as soon as I was able. He asked me what medical emergency was more important than representing my department and I snapped "probably my son nearly dying, yeah?" and hung up.

I hope everything will turn out ok for your son, Hang in there.
You have been an inspiration for me in this thread

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

This is illegal hth.

It's the dumbest thing as well.

:v: Hey, your security sucks because of XYZ.

WHAT? YOUR UNDER ARREST!*

Proceeds to have all of their customer credit cards stolen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

It's the dumbest thing as well.

:v: Hey, your security sucks because of XYZ.

WHAT? YOUR UNDER ARREST!*

Proceeds to have all of their customer credit cards stolen.

I get it, but the way the law is worded it's the same as wandering into someone's house because their door is unlocked.

And we're talking about actually changing settings, not just telling them "your security sucks".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah maybe drop them an email with a few sentences to explain the problem and the fix and wait to hear back from them. Or just ignore it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

flosofl posted:

I get it, but the way the law is worded it's the same as wandering into someone's house because their door is unlocked.

And we're talking about actually changing settings, not just telling them "your security sucks".

Yeah nobody writes a law saying 'it's illegal to gain unauthorised access to a network, unless it's totally small beans and they were using the default password'.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Would anyone be interested in the latest CE story?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Stop it you tease

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

:justpost:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

:munch:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

:f5h::smith:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

You did this on purpose

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The story is that the CE is his time traveling son from the future.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

GreenNight posted:

No at some point in his future larches will travel into the past and slowly become the CE who lets face it, has a great job: spends his time making money, probably stealing hardware and funds, doing almost no work, plays pranks on his younger self and knows he can't be fired BECAUSE HE WAS NEVER FIRED

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What happened, happened.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Better - has anyone seen Predestination or read "All You Zombies"? Not gonna spoil, but yeah, I'm going with that.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Customer called in with complaints of bad audio, dropped calls, just overall poor audio performance on a PBX.

Fix your poo poo level3.

Alighieri fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 24, 2016

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
:awesomelon: Hey, I can't get to ${SERVER}
:eng101: Okay, what happens when you try?
:awesomelon: It doesn't work.

(sigh)

:eng101: okay, whats your IP address?
:awesomelon: MY IP is 206.100.public.notprivate-address

I am not going to bother, I'm not desktop support, i'll let them handle this bullshit.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Alighieri posted:

Customer called in with complaints of bad audio, dropped calls, just overall poor audio performance on a PBX.

Fix your poo poo level3.

From a friend who works at L3:

ignore that
our ear/car/bar routers deprioritize ICMP heavily on the first sign of load
middle hops of traceroutes do NOT show anything valuble as far as a failure point

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Migishu posted:

From a friend who works at L3:

ignore that
our ear/car/bar routers deprioritize ICMP heavily on the first sign of load
middle hops of traceroutes do NOT show anything valuble as far as a failure point

The one failing at 98% is fine, it's the one that has 7000ms average response that seems odd, why respond at all if your going to be 7 seconds late. Customer has a PRI going into an Ad-tran we have no control over anyways so not really our issue, opened ticket with their carrier.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Sorry guys, not being a dick, I was writing up the tale when some poo poo came in so I'm dealing with that.

CE shenanigans are coming though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

larchesdanrew posted:

Sorry guys, not being a dick, I was writing up the tale when some poo poo came in so I'm dealing with that.

CE shenanigans are coming though.

Step one on the larches life improvement plan:

Stop apologizing for stuff that is neither your fault nor your purview

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mediaphage posted:

These shenanigans do not concern us.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

mediaphage posted:

Stop apologizing for stuff that is neither your fault nor your purviewnone of your concern

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

mediaphage posted:

Be an insufferable cockbag, got it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You are ready for management.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

You are ready for management.

But is management ready for me? :getin:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

larchesdanrew posted:

POoooooooooost

POST POST POST

GODDAMMIT YOU MOTHERFUCKER INSUFFERABLE COCKBAG POST THE STORY

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Are you ready to announce a widely anticipated posting initiative, and then compound it with delays?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I will patiently wait for the next entry in the Larches Saga.

But only because I have to work and can't pay attention to the forum to constantly :f5:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

18 Character Limit posted:

Are you ready to announce a widely anticipated posting initiative, and then compound it with delays?

Not my fault. I'm not apologizing. :colbert:

I'm writing it up now. Going slow since it's on my phone

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 24, 2016

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

larchesdanrew posted:

:cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

CT :justpost: