Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pixelante posted:

I'm gradually warming up to the idea that there's a valid reason for starting every humanities-type conference/event/project with thanks for the Coast Salish People for use of their unceded territory but it still feels a bit heavy-handed. One of my courses has a thanks written into the syllabus.

I'm sure they're deeply grateful for the thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pixelante posted:

I'm gradually warming up to the idea that there's a valid reason for starting every humanities-type conference/event/project with thanks for the Coast Salish People for use of their unceded territory but it still feels a bit heavy-handed. One of my courses has a thanks written into the syllabus.

I'm not warming up to the idea but I need you goons to steer me right.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
It might be stockholm at this point. It's really unavoidable in social services here.

And I'm never going to appreciate the 8am opening wolf dance with drums and flutes. 8am should never come with drums.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Elbowgate, a purely Ottawa Bubble Phenomenon

Also, in a change, Policy Resolutions for the LPC convention are now up

Personally, I'd like to see p-12 and p-5 make it

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

• The broad majority of those surveyed (71%) said it had no impact on their view of Mr. Trudeau, 23% said it made them feel worse about him; 6% better.

~~~

• Most (49%) of the 23% who said the incident darkened their view of Mr. Trudeau said they voted CPC last fall.

I'm glad they checked the correlation there but I'm surprised it was still so low. I figured those 23% would more or less be people who already hated the guy (i.e. people with the poor sense to have voted CPC last election even after all the previous-decade's bullshit), considering how few people who didn't already have a bone to pick seemed to care

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

WHEREAS the Nova Scotia population is dwindling, and, as the Ivany Report indicates, one pathway to progress is through immigration; whereas there is a federal cap on the numbers permitted for immigration to Nova Scotia;

BE IT RESOLVED that the federal government remove the cap, encourage immigration to Nova Scotia and the Maritimes, especially in rural areas, and use temporary foreign workers as a pathway to permanent citizenship in order to help sustain the region and stimulate growth.

hahahaha how do you loving retards come up with this loving nonsense

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I feel like inflicting rural Nova Scotia/maritimes on immigrants violates international human rights law

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

WHEREAS The Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety of 2003, signed by Canada, enshrines a "precautionary approach" regarding the transboundary movement of GMOs;

WHEREAS the protocol takes into account possible risks of genetically modified foods to human health, also negative effects on biodiversity;

WHEREAS few independent studies have been carried out monitoring long term, cumulative risks of GMO consumption and use; the burden of proof showing there are no adverse health effects is upon those who are modifying the genetic material, but also on independent research;

WHEREAS in Canada, GMO foods remain unidentified while, per environmentalist David Suzuki, "The safety of GMO foods is unproven and a growing body of research connects these foods with health concerns and environmental damage. Most developed nations have policies requiring mandatory labelling of GMO foods; some have issued bans on GMO food production and imports";

WHEREAS Bill C-287, An Act to amend the Food and Drugs Act, introduced in September 2002, supports mandatory identification of GMO foods and for 20 years, over 80% of Canadians support labelling;

WHEREAS despite lack of clear conclusive proof that long term use of genetically engineered products are safe, there are no Canadian guidelines for mandatory identification which would allow freedom of choice to consumers;

BE IT RESOLVED that the Liberal Party of Canada incite the Government of Canada to implement recommendations made in Private Member’s Bill C-287, an act to amend the Food and Drugs Act, thus making identification of genetically modified foods mandatory.

lol you dumb fucks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like inflicting rural Nova Scotia/maritimes on immigrants violates international human rights law

With hard work, I'm sure the refugees will be able to upgrade rural NS to at least as nice as the war-torn hell they escaped from.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Cultural Imperial posted:

BE IT RESOLVED that the Liberal Party of Canada incite the Government of Canada to implement recommendations made in Private Member’s Bill C-287, an act to amend the Food and Drugs Act, thus making identification of genetically modified foods mandatory.

Will identification of irradiated food also be mandatory?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/man-charged-after-allegedly-impersonating-fort-mcmurray-wildfire-evacuee/

quote:

CLARESHOLM, Alta. — Police say a British Columbia man is facing charges for impersonating a Fort McMurray evacuee and allegedly taking advantage of people who were trying to help.

of course he's from bc

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

lol you dumb fucks

For listening to Suzuki or requiring GM food to be labeled? Cause you can take that a few different ways.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Even better, he's from Vic

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

All of the above; Suzuki's growing body of research is probably naturalnews.com

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I feel like I would be more supportive of labeling GM foods if the proponents of the movement weren't ignorant fuckers that know next to nothing about biology.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Everyone seems to poo poo on e-health initiatives, but then poo poo like this ends up happening in the provinces with no electronic records systems. Yes, you guessed right, it was a BC hospital that took 11 months to tell a woman her x-rays indicated that she had lung cancer.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hospital-fail-to-warn-patient-of-potential-lung-cancer-1.3591629

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahaha i can't wait until bc tries to implement electronic health records

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
dr heather lindsay is probably a loving idiot which is why this woman is going to die of lung cancer

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Pixelante posted:

I think it's the sort of thing that is potentially good but can also easily fall off into pointless (or even counterproductive) symbolism. A sort of brief self-flagellation for the ruling class that excuses them from having to do anything else. Like, giving thanks for the land is standard in Australia and, well, they don't seem to have reined in either structural or attitudinal problems. At all.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Pour vous:

CBC posted:

Quebecer fined for truck he used to flee Fort McMurray wildfire

Nick Van Tol was handed $311 ticket because his lifted diesel truck is illegal in Quebec

"It's no excuse, it's real. I have no job, I have no nothing. I was forced out of my home," Van Tol said. "No one really knows what it's like to go through something like that."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

quote:

Van Tol said he shouldn't have to modify his truck every time he crosses provincial lines.

Lol at the implication that lifted trucks are mandatory outside of Quebec.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Even better, he's from Vic

He's not welcome at our coffee meets. :colbert:

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Guys don't worry. Kevin O'Leary is coming to save us

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...tart-in-earnest

quote:

John Ivison: Kevin O’Leary’s mission to bring ‘adult supervision’ to Ottawa is about to start in earnest

Calling your potential supporters “losers,” as Kevin O’Leary did, may not be a conventional route to power, but the reality TV star believes the Conservative party needs some tough love.

“I’m not going to use any of the past policies the Conservatives had to craft any of mine. They’ve just lost — they’re losers. When you lose you have to stand back and say what didn’t work,” he said at an invite-only gathering at Postmedia Place in Toronto last Thursday.

O’Leary is scheduled to speak at the party’s convention this weekend. The reaction in Vancouver will go a long way to determining whether he enters the party’s leadership race.

In Toronto, he sounded serious about a political future but stopped short of declaring definitively that he will run in 2017.

“You call it the night before you have to,” he said.

The Donald Trump comparisons are inevitable. O’Leary admits “there are some similarities” but is keen to differentiate himself from some of Trump’s more odious social policies.

“There are no walls in Canada and there never will be. If there were, I wouldn’t be here. I’m half-Lebanese, half-Irish. I’m a very inclusive person, extremely liberal,” he said.

But like Trump, O’Leary says outrageous things for effect — everyone in government is “stupid,” “an idiot” or “insane.” He does it because he knows the media and voters lap it up.

He praised Trump’s “masterful” manipulation of the U.S. media to get $2.1 billion in free advertising, while candidates like Jeb Bush spent $120 million in real money and got nowhere.

But for all the showmanship, O’Leary has some interesting things to say about the state of Canadian politics — and how things might evolve before the next election.

“In 36 months, three things will have occurred: No. 1, there will be no wage inflation in this country — zero. For the 14th year, working Canadians will not have had any appreciable increase in what they make,” he predicts.

“No. 2, millennials in their 20s will still be working as interns at $8 an hour. There’ll be no jobs for them.

“No. 3, the value of your home — the No. 1 asset for Canadians — will either be stagnant or down.

“All of the people, the optimists, who gave the mandate to (Justin) Trudeau to bring in a $113-billion deficit are going to be very, very frustrated.”

O’Leary has appointed himself as a kind of taxpayers’ ombudsman, using his media platform to criticize economic and fiscal policy he believes makes Canada uncompetitive.

“What really got me going was (Finance Minister Bill) Morneau’s budget. I had an opportunity to meet with him. I said, ‘I don’t know you but I read your budget and I’m going to make life hell for you because this is insane.’ It’s irresponsible.”

He is calling for voters to question all politicians on whether their policies are creating jobs.

“If you want to win an election, you have to appeal to people who are concerned about their financial future. All the other issues are irrelevant.

“Nobody is going to out-kumbaya Trudeau; nobody is going to do more sit-ups; nobody is going to punch more punching bags; and, nobody is going to do more selfies. But where he is going to fail is in the math. The math isn’t going to work. You can’t spend $100 billion efficiently. It’s impossible — no government ever has.

“My personal estimate is that one-third of every dollar is wasted. That means probably $30 billion to $40 billion is going down the toilet.”

O’Leary’s practical solution is to encourage private-sector investment, using tax breaks such as accelerated capital cost allowances, particularly in industries like telecoms where he says regulation by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission is scaring away investors.

In the case of Bombardier, the government should insist on the end of the company’s dual-share structure as a condition for an injection of taxpayer funds that would leave it owned by the Canadian people.

“We would get every dime back for the Canadian taxpayer, plus the profits. If the company doesn’t want that deal, let them go bankrupt and reconstruct. I could negotiate that deal myself in 24 hours,” he said.

It would be wonderful to be as confident about anything as O’Leary is about everything.

“My attitude is: ‘look, leave me alone, I’ll fix it,’ ” he said.

But the world, particularly the world of politics, is more complicated than O’Leary lets on, no matter how many times he says: “It’s simple.”

At one point he advocated “dual-track health care,” which has proven to be a personal Waterloo for more than one Conservative leader. His call for an end to business subsidies in exchange for a lower corporate income tax was pioneered by Stephen Harper in 2004, but promptly discarded after he lost that election.

Even O’Leary’s potential candidacy will face more problems in the real world than he is prepared to admit.

Unlike the U.S., where Trump was able to fund himself from his own resources, O’Leary could only put up $25,000 of his own money and would be forced to raise or borrow the rest in increments of $1,500. Not impossible but a lot of work for someone without an experienced political team behind him.

O’Leary dismisses this potential barrier with typical bombast.

“I don’t need any money. I’ll do it myself. I don’t need your money. I can find the financing. I don’t know if the rules will allow me to do it the way I want, but I’ve never had any trouble raising money,” he said.

Then there’s the French imperative. The Conservatives more than doubled their seat count in Quebec at the last election, and now hold 12 ridings in the province.

It would seem that the minimum price of entry for potential leaders is the ability to take part in a French language leadership debate.

But O’Leary insists that learning French is not an optimal use of his time.

“I don’t speak French … but I have a pretty good idea of the French-Canadian psyche. The language that’s going to matter at the next election is the language of economic reform and job creation. It won’t matter what language you speak, frankly, if you can show a path to a better economic outcome. I’m willing to take my chances,” he said.

That’s an inclusive, inoffensive answer, that may even have convinced some conservative francophones.

But it also implied a fallibility, and Kevin O’Leary doesn’t do politically correct. So he kept swinging.

“I recently had this debate with party members. When people tell me I can’t do stuff, I say, ‘I’ve got a track record, I don’t care.’

“People ask me: ‘why don’t you spend a lot of time learning it?’ … (But) I got a fail in every language I tried, so it’s a very bad use of my time. There’s nothing worse than listening to an Anglophone trying to speak French, then everyone answers in English.”

Season one of O’Leary’s reality TV version of politics — a mission to bring “adult supervision” to spending in Canada — will start in earnest in Vancouver.

Liberals I spoke with are rubbing their hands at the prospect of the series being renewed.

Will John Ivison be able to hold on until Kevin O'Leary is chosen as the True Leader Of This Great Country? Or will he release all too soon?? Can't wait to find out!!

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Ban lift kits across all provinces and territories. Problem solved!

They really don't seem safe (to other drivers).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

“In 36 months, three things will have occurred: No. 1, there will be no wage inflation in this country — zero. For the 14th year, working Canadians will not have had any appreciable increase in what they make,” he predicts.

“No. 2, millennials in their 20s will still be working as interns at $8 an hour. There’ll be no jobs for them.

“No. 3, the value of your home — the No. 1 asset for Canadians — will either be stagnant or down.

lmao yeah if only we ran the country like a business none of these would be problems at all, no siree.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Yellow Ant posted:

Ban lift kits across all provinces and territories. Problem solved!

They really don't seem safe (to other drivers).

I like the giant metal bars you can put on the front of your suburban commuter truck so that when you run down a pedestrian or cyclist while texting you gently caress the poo poo out of them and don't even scratch the paint on your hood.

Those are cool and good.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Interns get paid? I thought they were the leading edge of the re-institution of slavery, as allowed by that most sacred of texts, the Old Testament/Torah.

Do we still have to shave their heads, give them new clothes, and wait a month before raping them? Or am I thinking of grad students?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Definitely grad students.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

hahaha i can't wait until bc tries to implement electronic health records

telus health has been mid implementation for like six years

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

brucio posted:

Guys don't worry. Kevin O'Leary is coming to save us

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...tart-in-earnest

Will John Ivison be able to hold on until Kevin O'Leary is chosen as the True Leader Of This Great Country? Or will he release all too soon?? Can't wait to find out!!

You missed bolding the best part: (and why he'll never win)

quote:

“I’m not going to use any of the past policies the Conservatives had to craft any of mine. They’ve just lost — they’re losers. When you lose you have to stand back and say what didn’t work,” he said

It's my humble impression that most Conservative party die hards like thier divisive policies just fine (i.e. they're real Canadians/ the silent majority) and probably won't enjoy being called losers.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

It's my humble impression that most Conservative party die hards like thier divisive policies just fine (i.e. they're real Canadians/ the silent majority) and probably won't enjoy being called losers.

Well, that and also the fact you have to be a card-carrying member of the Conservative party to elect a party leader, and membership isn't cheap. I sincerely doubt he'll be anything more than a sideshow.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
O'LEARY! *click*

Honestly, I think it's wrong to underestimate his appeal. He's going to appeal to a lot of economic conservatives who didn't like the party's other nonsense. If he's serious about this, I think the CPC should select him as leader. In many ways, he's the perfect "city conservative."

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I think most Conservative party members don't give a poo poo about most of that stuff if they think there's any chance they'll win the election. As long as there's some lip service paid to the social conservative part of the base (promise to not raise immigration levels, don't force doctors to perform euthanasia), whoever says "STRONG ECONOMY" the most times will win the leadership race. Some of the smarter Conservatives will look at Harper's policies and realize that he was too socially conservative and a bunch of stuff he put through was thrown out by the Supreme Court.

I wouldn't put money on O'Leary winning the leadership but he seems to be intentionally positioning himself as the Canadian Donald Trump and it's hard not to see some similarities between the Conservatives and the Republicans. The party leadership is a bit shaky since Harper lost and none of his proteges appear to be running. None of the candidates announced so far is particularly strong or well known (is MacKay going to run?). The loss in the last election I think has made a lot of Conservatives second guess how the party is run and they might be looking for someone outside of politics to try and get the party back on track. Or course the biggest difference is that the Republican primaries have been going on for almost a year and have gotten a pile of media attention that Trump has used very effectively. The Conservative leadership race will be a boring affair until a few weeks before the convention and then will be done in one night. There will be no time to score small victories and whittle off the rest of the field one at a time.

Lars Blitzer posted:

Well, that and also the fact you have to be a card-carrying member of the Conservative party to elect a party leader, and membership isn't cheap. I sincerely doubt he'll be anything more than a sideshow.

I think membership is only $15...

Wikipedia posted:

Only party members will be allowed to vote.[21] The fee for a party membership was raised to $25 from $15, an increase that was reversed on April 23, 2016 after criticisms that the move was "elitist".
Candidates must be members of the party for at least six months in order to be eligible. Voting will be on a One Member One Vote basis using a ranked ballot; however votes will be calculated so that each electoral district have equal weight with each electoral district allocated 100 points. Candidates will be assigned a point total based on his or her percentage of the vote in each electoral district. To win, a candidate must receive at least 16,901 points which would be a majority.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Butcher posted:

I like the giant metal bars you can put on the front of your suburban commuter truck so that when you run down a pedestrian or cyclist while texting you gently caress the poo poo out of them and don't even scratch the paint on your hood.

Those are cool and good.

I don't understand how those are legal. I hope everywhere outside of alberta bans those loving pedestrian rams and lift kits and they can wallow in their western alienation.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand how those are legal. I hope everywhere outside of alberta bans those loving pedestrian rams and lift kits and they can wallow in their western alienation.

I'm sorry Baronjutter, but there is actually a use for both of these things. Lift kits allow larger tires than the stock trucks will, giving greater ground clearance than found on a normal truck. I doubt very many of you have actually driven on resource roads in all weather. If the road has been maintained and it's dry, a car can get through most roads with no problem at all. But if its been raining for any length of time and there is any sort of semi-truck traffic ruts develop quickly and can become a serious issue even for a pickup truck. If you go look at a semi-tractor and look at the ground clearance on them you get an idea of what some of the ruts can be like. Larger tires and lift kits allow pickups to navigate the same roads without tearing out the undercarriage on the regular basis, or becoming high centered on a ridge in the middle of the road. The company I work for used to install a 3-4" lift and larger tires on every truck it ordered before it hit the field for this reason. They've stopped over the last couple years as a cost saving measure, but are quickly considering reviving the practice due to the sheer amount of maintenance being created by stock trucks. In my area we have about a dozen trucks and last spring and this spring combined we destroyed seven transfer cases and two transmissions along with a bunch of extra suspension maintenance. It looks like it'll be cheaper to start doing this lifts again rather than paying for new parts every month.

As for the bull-bars, you're right. The main thing they're designed to do is to allow you to hit something and not damage your vehicle. Why people who work in resource areas install them is because a lot of the work is done on roads that make it much more likely that you'll hit a deer or other animal. Resource roads typically have a cleared area to either side when they're built, but this area typically grows back over several years and you're left with about 10 feet to either side of the road being clear and the rest being 5-15' brush, perfect for concealing deer. Companies typically won't install these items because they're quite expensive and they'll just play the odds that their employee's wont hit that many deer. Contractors and other service providers on the other hand typically own their own truck and don't want to take the 5-10k repair bill when they hit a deer. So they install a bull-bar and call it a day.

So these items do have a use, but on the other hand, I understand where you're coming from. Too many people in cities with no actual need for these items install them and I can see how they're a real problem when you start interacting with pedestrians and so forth. Maybe you should have to demonstrate a need for them?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Gorau posted:

I'm sorry Baronjutter, but there is actually a use for both of these things. Lift kits allow larger tires than the stock trucks will, giving greater ground clearance than found on a normal truck. I doubt very many of you have actually driven on resource roads in all weather. If the road has been maintained and it's dry, a car can get through most roads with no problem at all. But if its been raining for any length of time and there is any sort of semi-truck traffic ruts develop quickly and can become a serious issue even for a pickup truck. If you go look at a semi-tractor and look at the ground clearance on them you get an idea of what some of the ruts can be like. Larger tires and lift kits allow pickups to navigate the same roads without tearing out the undercarriage on the regular basis, or becoming high centered on a ridge in the middle of the road. The company I work for used to install a 3-4" lift and larger tires on every truck it ordered before it hit the field for this reason. They've stopped over the last couple years as a cost saving measure, but are quickly considering reviving the practice due to the sheer amount of maintenance being created by stock trucks. In my area we have about a dozen trucks and last spring and this spring combined we destroyed seven transfer cases and two transmissions along with a bunch of extra suspension maintenance. It looks like it'll be cheaper to start doing this lifts again rather than paying for new parts every month.

As for the bull-bars, you're right. The main thing they're designed to do is to allow you to hit something and not damage your vehicle. Why people who work in resource areas install them is because a lot of the work is done on roads that make it much more likely that you'll hit a deer or other animal. Resource roads typically have a cleared area to either side when they're built, but this area typically grows back over several years and you're left with about 10 feet to either side of the road being clear and the rest being 5-15' brush, perfect for concealing deer. Companies typically won't install these items because they're quite expensive and they'll just play the odds that their employee's wont hit that many deer. Contractors and other service providers on the other hand typically own their own truck and don't want to take the 5-10k repair bill when they hit a deer. So they install a bull-bar and call it a day.

So these items do have a use, but on the other hand, I understand where you're coming from. Too many people in cities with no actual need for these items install them and I can see how they're a real problem when you start interacting with pedestrians and so forth. Maybe you should have to demonstrate a need for them?

my condolences on the micro penis, friend

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Gorau posted:

There is no reason to be driving a lifted truck with giant metal bars on it on public roads

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Booourns posted:

There is no reason to be driving a lifted truck with giant metal bars on it on public roads

the reason is you cant afford to own two trucks but you need a lifted truck with giant metal bars on it to go to work in the middle of nowhere

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gorau posted:

I doubt very many of you have actually driven on resource roads in all weather. If the road has been maintained and it's dry, a car can get through most roads with no problem at all. But if its been raining for any length of time and there is any sort of semi-truck traffic ruts develop quickly and can become a serious issue even for a pickup truck. If you go look at a semi-tractor and look at the ground clearance on them you get an idea of what some of the ruts can be like. Larger tires and lift kits allow pickups to navigate the same roads without tearing out the undercarriage on the regular basis, or becoming high centered on a ridge in the middle of the road. The company I work for used to install a 3-4" lift and larger tires on every truck it ordered before it hit the field for this reason. They've stopped over the last couple years as a cost saving measure, but are quickly considering reviving the practice due to the sheer amount of maintenance being created by stock trucks. In my area we have about a dozen trucks and last spring and this spring combined we destroyed seven transfer cases and two transmissions along with a bunch of extra suspension maintenance. It looks like it'll be cheaper to start doing this lifts again rather than paying for new parts every month.

That's a bunch of words to try and excuse a pristine bro truck with ALBERTA RAMS vinyl, which has probably never experienced anything worse than a line for the Fort Mac Tim Hortons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

jsoh posted:

the reason is you cant afford to own two trucks but you need a lifted truck with giant metal bars on it to go to work in the middle of nowhere

It's because "trucks are tough and make me look manly", everyone who owns one either grew up in fuckin Hanna or Okotoks or Cheadle and had nothing better to do than dream about driving some jacked F350 through the streets at night, or moved here from Newfoundland and needs to fit into the stereotype