Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The mowers I've had have been nearly universally Briggs and Stratton Quantum motors, but the deck covered the bottom so you couldn't get to the plug. Probably because they were the cheapest Sears / Walmart versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Sten Freak posted:

I bought one when we bought this house which has a fairly small yard and really wanted to love it but it was a pain to use and didn't cut well. Finally threw the towel in and went gas everything.
TheFonz stopped by over the weekend and I told him that we pay a blind guy to mow our lawn :haw:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Yeah they just don't cut that well. I opted for this fancy geared (?) model too which meant the reel turned faster than you pushed it but it required more force and space to get going and just sucked overall.

Doing a bit of research on this engine looks like it's a new thing:

quote:

Redesigned from the ground up, the new EXi series is loaded with the best of everything we have to offer, and then some. EXi is the first gas powered walk-behind mower engine that will never need an oil change - ever.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Sten Freak posted:

Here's Briggs and Straton's press bit on it:

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/innovations/push-mowers/exi.html

:D

I bought one when we bought this house which has a fairly small yard and really wanted to love it but it was a pain to use and didn't cut well. Finally threw the towel in and went gas everything.

So what they are saying is "We polled 10,000 gas powered push mower owners with a yard size > 1/4 acer and they all replied they kept their mower for 5-8 years and less then 25% actually changed their oil. We've also confirmed this through new mower sales, dealer surveys, and maintenance parts sales." Marketing then went to the engineers and asked them to build a mower that "never" needed an oil change for the "life" of the mower. Oh and it has to be just slightly priced higher then a normal mower- because of the "savings".

Welcome to the pinnacle of the throw away society.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Have I lost what remains of my mind or is "I never have to change my engine oil because it leaks/burns so much lol" now being advertised as a design feature?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Have I lost what remains of my mind or is "I never have to change my engine oil because it leaks/burns so much lol" now being advertised as a design feature?
I should sue for prior art on my Subaru.

My buddy finally moved into a house and took his compressor back from me, and I found out that all the new compressors out there are "oil-less." Really curious how long that'll last.

To make things worse, the manual mentions the "quick start" directions before it mentions the "first use" directions which say to run it for a half hour to break it in. So naturally I haven't done the break-in period yet either.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 23, 2016

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I've always heard it as a Car Talk joke. One of those guys swore he had a Toyota that he'd never changed the oil on for years but only topped up and changed a filter on.

B&S's explanation is kind of funny. It doesn't get dirty or hot is what they're saying. I'm not a mechanic but I agree that it sounds like more like a marketing/research solution than an engineering one.

E:

I will say I ran it for a while, shut it down to dump the bag and when I cranked it got up got a nice cloud of white smoke so there you go! For the record it's this guy:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Yard-Machines-21-in-163cc-OHV-Briggs-Stratton-Walk-Behind-Gas-Lawn-Mower-11A-B9A9729/205640957

Really at $239 if it gives me 8 years of service and I never have to spend time dicking with the oil and have no guilt that I didn't do it I'll feel like it doesn't owe me anything when it kicks the bucket.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 23, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sten Freak posted:

B&S's explanation is kind of funny. It doesn't get dirty or hot is what they're saying. I'm not a mechanic but I agree that it sounds like more like a marketing/research solution than an engineering one.

It sounds a bit like the old-school ACVW oil strainers, when the Germans thought they were too clever for filters.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
FINALLY Jay does a video about one of his own cars. I don't like his partnership videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYpWmMi9-A

:circlefap:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sten Freak posted:

I've always heard it as a Car Talk joke. One of those guys swore he had a Toyota that he'd never changed the oil on for years but only topped up and changed a filter on.

I've had loads of cars that I milked along just by topping up instead of changing the oil, but they were pieces of poo poo to start with.

They're basically just officially sanctioning what 90% of people already do. I think mower engines don't cover enough hours for the amount of power (and therefore stress) they have to justify ever changing the oil. I hope they haven't taken away the means of doing it entirely though, that'd be a oval office move.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It sounds a bit like the old-school ACVW oil strainers, when the Germans thought they were too clever for filters.

Lots and lots of motorbikes don't have oil filters. A lot of them (usually air cooled) don't even have oil pumps! The oil just gets splashed around by a flicker thingy on the flywheel or whatever and that's somehow good enough. Car engines are just really large, complicated and live lives of brutal neglect and abuse whilst also having to meet low maintenance expectations so they have all this fancy filtration bullshit :haw:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Yeah, the writing on that page is weird. You'd think someone who's conscientious enough to think about changing the oil would also care about oil consumption rates.
Maybe it's like Check 50 Times And Just Add Once.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

rotaryownership.txt

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

We're considering maybe buying a home in the next 15-27 months, and this is making me sad.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Owning a home is pretty neat.

I might be moving within a couple of months and haven't the foggiest idea about selling or any of that (Previously went from renting to buying a new build so it was pretty simple)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
We've been in our house a year and the only things I've had to fix are:
  • BEES (killing hornets and wasps)
  • Some PO fuckery such as a slip-ring washer under the sink that was installed upside down causing the joint to leak
  • Gotta re-do the deck at some point
  • Should probably patch the leaky garage
It's a great house.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They're called Briggs&Scrapiron for a reason.

e: as for house stuff hahahahahahahahahahaha well I did buy a fixer upper I guess.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

e: as for house stuff hahahahahahahahahahaha well I did buy a fixer upper I guess.

Hey at least we have flushing shitters now. :D

The Locator posted:

Hope they nail the rear end in a top hat that hit him.

Does he have any sort of medical insurance to help cover the expenses?

You and me both.

Making a bad situation worse he left his big boy job 70 days ago to finish his degree,(losing health insurance with it) we were gonna float the summer without health insurance until we both were in college and could qualify for insurance through that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Elmnt80 posted:

Levi 559s or bust. Hard to tear, look nice and last me years for ~$35 on sale, ~$25 if I find 'em at an outlet mall. :colbert:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Any recommendations? I'm buying new jeans every 6 months to fit my thighs, getting annoying.

Anyone have any info on longevity of Dodge engines? 2008 caravan with the 3.8L engine. Maintained according to schedule and currently has 180k, we're wondering how long they usually last. 90% or more miles are interstate going back and forth to dog shows. She's just worried it's going to hit 200k and blow up leaving her stranded somewhere.
I'm wearing 541s. They fit well and have enough thigh room for me. Be nice to have a little more lower leg taper, but they are ok as is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I change the oil in my Toro once every two years. It's about ten years old now and I'm still waiting for it to poo poo so I can get an electric mower and be done with gas powered lawn tools for good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

kastein posted:

Man, your place isn't a fixer upper. It's a demolition and rebuild that is simply being done in stages rather than at once.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I wonder why propane never took off as a fuel for lawn equipment. Just screw in one of those 1lb canisters in and go nuts without having to gently caress with a lawnmower that runs horribly and smells like a Chinese refinery fire. It burns clean, and works fine for forklifts, I tell ya hwhat.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Geirskogul posted:

FINALLY Jay does a video about one of his own cars. I don't like his partnership videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYpWmMi9-A

:circlefap:

I'm a big fan of the Espada, glad to see it is getting some love.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

I wonder why propane never took off as a fuel for lawn equipment. Just screw in one of those 1lb canisters in and go nuts without having to gently caress with a lawnmower that runs horribly and smells like a Chinese refinery fire. It burns clean, and works fine for forklifts, I tell ya hwhat.

commercial floor buffers run on propane, works juust fine.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I was excited about checking out the new race track here this summer but it says on their website that membership is $7000.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Open HPDE is $500/day.

Full day lapping is $350/day if you're qualified.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

leica posted:

I change the oil in my Toro once every two years. It's about ten years old now and I'm still waiting for it to poo poo so I can get an electric mower and be done with gas powered lawn tools for good.

Glad I am not the only one. My stepdad left a old but well kept gas lawn mower at the house when we bought it and I can not for the life of me get that POS to run. I am just about to order an electric one off amazon. Maybe when I buy a house with some property I will get a big gas powered lawn mower, but my current house is on a 5,000 sq/ft lot so its just not worth the hassle.

Speaking of home ownership, just spent the last couple hours pulling plants and poo poo out of the front yard of our house with my wife. I found a nerf dart in one of the bushes I removed that I am pretty sure was lost in there by me and my brothers 20+ years ago.

Any suggestions for any software to help design a small building? I am trying to finalize the design for a 10x10ft detached office I am building in my backyard, and just wanted something other than graph paper. I was messing around with sketchup, but it just seems overkill for what I want and I can't quite wrap my head around it. I should probably also figure out somewhere to post my basic plans just to be sure I am not being stupid, though I am pretty sure I am going to over build it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Negromancer posted:

Glad I am not the only one. My stepdad left a old but well kept gas lawn mower at the house when we bought it and I can not for the life of me get that POS to run. I am just about to order an electric one off amazon. Maybe when I buy a house with some property I will get a big gas powered lawn mower, but my current house is on a 5,000 sq/ft lot so its just not worth the hassle.

Speaking of home ownership, just spent the last couple hours pulling plants and poo poo out of the front yard of our house with my wife. I found a nerf dart in one of the bushes I removed that I am pretty sure was lost in there by me and my brothers 20+ years ago.

Any suggestions for any software to help design a small building? I am trying to finalize the design for a 10x10ft detached office I am building in my backyard, and just wanted something other than graph paper. I was messing around with sketchup, but it just seems overkill for what I want and I can't quite wrap my head around it. I should probably also figure out somewhere to post my basic plans just to be sure I am not being stupid, though I am pretty sure I am going to over build it.

I designed a house in drafting class in high school... It was just a matter of figuring out code requirements, then drawing the wall frames to match. Then you just throw some prebuild trusses up top for the roof, slab floor, boom. All drawn out with pencil and a t-square and a drafting scale, not too difficult once you figure out the rules.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

New Sheep Game time ahoy!

Click the sheep in the Subaru and follow your dreams...

Also, something interesting for this Sheep Game - through the generosity of the folks at Camshaft Software, I have been given a Steam key for Automation: The Car Company Tycoon Game to give to the winner of this edition!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, crazy neighbor's ex slashed my tires. Guess her restraining order has expired.

In other news, does anybody need a kitten?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Pham Nuwen posted:

I designed a house in drafting class in high school... It was just a matter of figuring out code requirements, then drawing the wall frames to match. Then you just throw some prebuild trusses up top for the roof, slab floor, boom. All drawn out with pencil and a t-square and a drafting scale, not too difficult once you figure out the rules.

I have a basic design I found online that I am modifying to make it a bit stronger and use real windows instead of putting pieces of lexan in for windows. Thankfully since its small enough, I do not have to pull and permits or have it inspected, but I still want to build it strong enough that it would easily pass code. Also, just doing a sloped roof so I don't have to mess with trusses, instead the front wall is just taller than the rear. Not gonna pour a slab, probably just gonna use 9 posts set in concrete since the ground is not level. I am going to run power to it, but I have a couple electrician friends who can help me wire up the building, tho I might have to pull a permit to run the power permanently. I will have to look into that, worst case I can run an extension cord to run everything I will need until I get permits figured out.

I just need to get some sort of design in a digital format so I can get some input to make sure I am not doing anything stupid.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Welp, crazy neighbor's ex slashed my tires. Guess her restraining order has expired.

In other news, does anybody need a kitten?

Fuckin' oval office. who the what the why the gently caress? really? wow.

cute kitten. :3:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have yet to find an accurate theory how my 323 GTX jumped 12 teeth on the intake camshaft pulley but the exhaust and crank were still in time. The tensioner and idler are new, and it was on a Gates belt that still looks fine.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

DJ Commie posted:

I have yet to find an accurate theory how my 323 GTX jumped 12 teeth on the intake camshaft pulley but the exhaust and crank were still in time. The tensioner and idler are new, and it was on a Gates belt that still looks fine.

Is the cam still in one piece?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

was its engine perchance designed by the yamaha SHO team ala "let's not back up our interference fit on the cam gears with any other form of fastening"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Watching the new Wheeler Dealers and they are working on a Honda CVCC. I already knew it had funky pre-combustion stuff (taken from Russian tanks or something?) but its carburetor actually automatically accounts for altitude, something I hadn't considered a carb could do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Few things are more frustrating than being asked for help and advice and then being 100% ignored.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

Few things are more frustrating than being asked for help and advice and then being 100% ignored.

...but I want to put my dick in a blender, I was merely asking which one would be best.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Enourmo posted:

was its engine perchance designed by the yamaha SHO team ala "let's not back up our interference fit on the cam gears with any other form of fastening"

If you're talking about the SHO V6, I've been apart of the Taurus SHO Community for a very very long time and have never heard of them failing because of a cam issue.

If you're talking about the SHO V8, that issue is Ford's fault and holy poo poo its a doozy hahahahaha

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

The term for someone like this is "askhole" BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

kastein posted:

The term for someone like this is "goon" BTW.

Fixed that for you.

• Locked thread