Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

nitrogen posted:

Documentum sounds like a terminal disease.

"I'm sorry, but you have Documentum. It's terminal. You have six to live."
"Six what?"

"Five."

I contracted mild Documentum, was bedridden for a week. Be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is there a point where an inkjet is actually economical? With the way they consume cartridges over time i would think that a laser is always going to be cheaper to run, even under light loads.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

RFC2324 posted:

Is there a point where an inkjet is actually economical? With the way they consume cartridges over time i would think that a laser is always going to be cheaper to run, even under light loads.

I've run into issues where the (inkjet) printer was used rarely enough that cartridges clogged up and were rendered useless even with ink left in them. They either printed nothing, or, more commonly, produced streak-covered garbage. The consumer-level laser that I had them get instead hasn't had that problem, that I've heard about.

So to answer your question, I highly doubt it at this point in history.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I found a really cheap spare video machine for Larches' old employer:

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I want it. The novelty is amazing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

worth1000 was an old photoshop contest site, fyi.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

worth1000 was an old photoshop contest site, fyi.

The photoshop becomes really obvious if you've ever handled or opened a VHS tape.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Anyone fancy a job on the west coast of Denmark? Government job with somewhat decent pay and excellent pension. A coworker quit for a lateral move to another job, and the pickings are kinda slim out here.

Houses are cheap out here, or just buy a farm, or an island. :v:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Crowley posted:

Anyone fancy a job on the west coast of Denmark? Government job with somewhat decent pay and excellent pension. A coworker quit for a lateral move to another job, and the pickings are kinda slim out here.

Sure, where do I send my CV?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

nitrogen posted:

Documentum sounds like a terminal disease.

"I'm sorry, but you have Documentum. It's terminal. You have six to live."
"Six what?"

"Five."

Documentum could be classified as that. It's got a rock solid back end that is incredibly flexible if you have a team that is willing to build on it, but EMC's latest offerings in the document management side are pretty bad and I don't expect them to be still in the game a few years from now.

We had them come in and demo D2, and they spent the first hour pitching "Horizons", which isn't even released yet. Apparently the last time we had them come in they were pitching D2 for the first hour, which wasn't even released at the time either. One of the people doing the sales meeting was really smart, but the other one didn't like me or my questions.

The good news is they finally replaced the Java Web Client plugin that is required to use all the product features... with another plugin that is completely home grown and a separate one for each browser.

:negative:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

Sure, where do I send my CV?

Sent you a PM.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Crowley posted:

Does it require EU citizenship or will they handle visa arrangements?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Couldn't "west coast of Denmark" technically mean Greenland though?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

stubblyhead posted:

So land is REALLY cheap.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FireSight posted:

So land is REALLY cheap.

And you get more of it every day, plus the average temperature keeps getting better!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sheep posted:

Does it require EU citizenship or will they handle visa arrangements?

Citizenship is not required, but you do need to have a work permit, be able to pass a low-level security check, and you'd be in a somewhat weak position if you can't speak Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian.

stubblyhead posted:

Oh, like Hans Island? Come at me, Canucks!

Crowley fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 24, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

poo poo pissing me off: Dirsync is broken, chaos is ensuing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Coredump posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Dirsync is broken, chaos is ensuing.
How did dirsync/adsync/aadsync break?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Other sys admin says he thinks a database got corrupted. I haven't got many details on what broke or how.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off, registered new domain names 1 at a time as CEO calls from a sales meeting. Just how many are you going to buy today? Spent almost $500 on domain names, when we let $500 worth of domain names we never used expire or going to expire later this year. What the hell is the plan of all of these? Do all companies own 50+ domain names?

The company where I'm working has at least 3819, just with a cursory reverse Whois search.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Crowley posted:

Oh, like Hans Island? Come at me, Canucks!

Hey, we just let you guys keep thinking you can have it to show the rest of the world how two countries should solve a land dispute. By leaving bottles of booze everything we switch the flag ;)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Siochain posted:

Hey, we just let you guys keep thinking you can have it to show the rest of the world how two countries should solve a land dispute. By leaving bottles of booze everything we switch the flag ;)

This is the reason it's still my favourite long standing conflict

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

hihifellow posted:

How are you signing the cert with the CA? I remember Windows CA disliking linux cert requests because they lack a defined template so I had to sign them with a command-line utility and tell it to use the web server template. I'm phone posting so I can't really look up more information but maybe this will get you on the right track.

certreq -submit -config "MyIssuingCA" -attrib "CertificateTemplate:templateName" CertRequest.csr

I've always just done that on the CA itself but it's probably not best practice.

I'm also a big fan of using RequestPolicy files, but we don't do much certificate issuing outside of our templates so those might not be a great idea if you're doing a lot of one off or custom stuff.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Today I found out that a lot of our poo poo that we use for machine learning tries to use Google Code as a CDN.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean the google code that was shut down last August? :v:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

xzzy posted:

You mean the google code that was shut down last August? :v:

Yes, that one!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

One of the many reasons why Google shut it down.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Backstory: Over the last two months, our company has lost every single IT manager except one (while my role is dealing with a lot of technology and rollouts and other brick a brack, I'm not in the actual IT department).

So, I get a panicked email from a data entry person. "I had to set this up as a 2015 job because 2016 isn't in the system [our ERP]!" followed by about 14 pages of IT Devs (who ar all consultants at this point) discussions about tracing what business functions rely on the date and how to address adding new years.

It's a reporting code tied to a user-editable list. I log in, update the user-editable list, and then respond to everyone from the email chain that's spinning wheels unnecessary-like and go "This is a list and is only used for querying/sorting in reports. I have added the next five years in."

Cue 60x 13-year-old-level angsty kid emails about how I shouldn't modify things without testing, first. Except that this is literally a useless field with no business function attached to it. Bet anyone :10bux: that I'll be dragged into a meeting with the execs in a few days to explain to them that IT shouldn't give two damns about this stuff. :smithicide:

Arsten fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 25, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Arsten posted:

Backstory: Over the last two months, our company has lost every single IT manager except one (while my role is dealing with a lot of technology and rollouts and other brick a brack, I'm not in the actual IT department).

So, I get a panicked email from a data entry person. "I had to set this up as a 2015 job because 2016 isn't in the system [our ERP]!" followed by about 14 pages of IT Devs (who ar all consultants at this point) discussions about tracing what business functions rely on the date and how to address adding new years.

It's a reporting code tied to a user list. I log in, update the user list, and then respond to everyone from the email chain that's spinning wheels unnecessary-like and go "This is a list and is only used for querying/sorting in reports. I have added the next five years in."

Cue 60x 13-year-old-level angsty kid emails about how I shouldn't modify things without testing, first. Except that this is literally a useless field with no business function attached to it. Bet anyone :10bux: that I'll be dragged into a meeting with the execs in a few days to explain to them that IT shouldn't give two damns about this stuff. :smithicide:

Did you make the change on a live server? If so, you would be in the wrong. Got to do the change on dev first.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Did you make the change on a live server? If so, you would be in the wrong. Got to do the change on dev first.

Not to operational data. It's the same as entering something like payroll information. Gotta enter Jimmy's time into Dev each week first! :v:

A user-editable list, specifically designed and with no script/dev work hanging off of it is just that: a user-editable list.

Edit: And I noticed I called it a "user list" for some reason. Updated that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Indignation on behalf of someone else - it seems that our company's new policy, in order to formalize incident management, is requiring an all hands bridge pretty much any time someone sneezes in production. This is stupid enough, but the technical teams who will be on these bridges generally rotate, so for someone like myself, this manifests more as a laughable stupidity, and not a life ruining infuriation. However, they expect the operations manager to manage all of these incidents. This means that she's getting on calls every few hours, every day. This has only been happening a few days, since Saturday or Sunday, but you can already hear the exhaustion in her voice.

What on earth are companies like my own thinking? Just work this person to death, go weeks until they can slot someone else in, rinse repeat? It's pretty pathetic.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 25, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Being seen to do something trumps actual progress on an issue. I lost an argument where I was trying to explain that Aerohive changes could be made remotely and scheduled to deploy outside of business hours because our MD had promised the customer a person on-site in an evening (no it wasn't me, I became suddenly busy), instead of promising a resolution to their problem.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Being seen to do something trumps actual progress on an issue. I lost an argument where I was trying to explain that Aerohive changes could be made remotely and scheduled to deploy outside of business hours because our MD had promised the customer a person on-site in an evening (no it wasn't me, I became suddenly busy), instead of promising a resolution to their problem.

I'm juust about to pull the trigger on a $½mil. Aerohive WLAN setup with online management, but before I do I'd love to hear your honest opinion of them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I will give you a long winded answer this evening (UK time).

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Crowley posted:

I'm juust about to pull the trigger on a $½mil. Aerohive WLAN setup with online management, but before I do I'd love to hear your honest opinion of them.

We've got ~$150k worth of their gear spread between three K-12 schools with four more on the plate as money is found. From a deployment & management standpoint they're about as reliable as I could ever ask for, though the HiveManager (non-NG) isn't the most intuitive outside the configuration wizard. Also the default radio profiles are hot garbage, if you can snag one of their engineers for a few hours they'll get everything optimized for your environment.

I'm no eloquent reviewer but if you've got specific questions I know there's myself and a handful of other posters running decently-sized AH setups.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Once we got through the optimization issues, our aerohive deployment has been solid. We have a challenging environment too; warehousing with lots of metal shelves with metal product on them, so the building is basically one giant faraday cage.

Once we tweaked wireless settings and got rid of our lovely 10+ year old 802.11b scanners, complaints in the warehouse have been nonexistent for the most part.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone ever work with Adtran's Bluesocket wifi? Ugh. Don't miss that one bit.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone ever work with Adtran's Bluesocket wifi? Ugh. Don't miss that one bit.

I did. If there's a technology you hate, my $AWFUL_JOB sold it. I'm so glad I left.

Ask me about installing 20 sonic wall WAPs in a warehouse in NJ. No wait don't. I don't want to hang myself today.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have a stack of Sonicpoint's here that were ripped out of various sites, pieces of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

The curse of IT. It doesn't matter how much work you're doing in the background, if people can't see you doing it as far as they're concerned you may as well not be doing it.

Which of course crashes headlong in to the fact that a good IT person automates everything they can and these days any hardware worth a poo poo has enough remote management capability that I can do 95% of my job from literally anywhere on the planet that has an internet connection.

If you remove installing wiring from the list it's been about two years since I've done anything on site that actually required an on site visit, but I still have managed to put 19,000 miles on my car in 10 months while theoretically working from home the whole time.