Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Eh, never mind."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The real schadenfreude about the vegan mountain thing is going to be when someone steps forward as already having climbed the mountain and been vegan. They just didn't have a sense of victim-hood that made them loving announce it as some incredible thing that needed broadcasting.

Hey GUISE I'm going to be the first Lactose-glucose macrobiotic freegan up Mt. Everest!!!11!!!

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Merijn posted:

Uh did you not notice there was another non-vegan that died on that exact same mountain climbing trip? It's not a protein thing, it's an oxygen thing.

Well at least she did it just as well as the other guy.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

du -hast posted:

Another giant derail calling this child abuse is coming.

I don't care if its child abuse, you're ruining a perfectly good cake doing that. Those monsters.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Merijn posted:

Uh did you not notice there was another non-vegan that died on that exact same mountain climbing trip? It's not a protein thing, it's an oxygen thing.

And the reason she was doing this was to show how 'vegans aren't weak.' She's the one who brought up this little crusade that killed her, man.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wonder if there were any vegans on this plane.

Maybe, then no, then probably yes.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

The real schadenfreude about the vegan mountain thing is going to be when someone steps forward as already having climbed the mountain and been vegan. They just didn't have a sense of victim-hood that made them loving announce it as some incredible thing that needed broadcasting.

Hey GUISE I'm going to be the first Lactose-glucose macrobiotic freegan up Mt. Everest!!!11!!!

"Veganism also allows me to fly! See you at the bottom, losers!"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

du -hast posted:

Another giant derail calling this child abuse is coming.

Wait no, We're not done with the Ronda Rousy trutherism derail.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I look forward to a time when all societal subsets have visited Mount Everest to prove anyone can do it. Can wait until someone spends 50k and endures months of training and weeks of deprivation just so they can leave a Rainbow Dash figurine on top of the Earth.

EDIT: or maybe climb the mountain in a fursuit.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

I look forward to a time when all societal subsets have visited Mount Everest to prove anyone can do it. Can wait until someone spends 50k and endures months of training and weeks of deprivation just so they can leave a Rainbow Dash figurine on top of the Earth.

I think we can accomplish this with a team of about 4 or so people. We can already assume that a bunch of normal straight white people have achieved the feat so all we need is one person for every [insert your own godawful tumblerized lineup of traits here]. And we'll call them the Everestocrats!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A very Dutch bit of schadenfreude:

also

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Penn vs Teller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp5d7MZEbak&t=30s

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Krispy Kareem posted:

It should be a Yeti suit. It will keep them warm and they can terrorize other mountain climbers.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I usually hate when the "bully" wins in road rage scenarios, so I'm glad smaller guy got a good hit on the windshield. I was :ohdear: when I thought he got ran over though.

They're both dickbags, though.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The trucker's exasperated sigh was great. Just get out of the fuckin way :rolleyes:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Extra freude here is that is a Hasselblad that's in the air. Outside of some really early ones those things are not cheap. And even if it is there could be at least 1 grand midair. Well, before impact anyways.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Parts Kit posted:

Extra freude here is that is a Hasselblad that's in the air. Outside of some really early ones those things are not cheap. And even if it is there could be at least 1 grand midair. Well, before impact anyways.

Clearly a Kodak Moment.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Wait is $1k supposed to be a lot for a camera? Aren't lenses alone thousands of dollars? I don't know much about photography but I know that it's not cheap.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JayKay posted:

Vegans can do anything! Like die on Mt. Everest!

Edit:

The other thing that grates in this story is the whole "We climbed all these other mountains, therefore we can climb Everest!". If you climbed every single enormous mountain in the world outside the Himalayas, congratulations, you still haven't climbed any of the top 100 peaks in the world. Aconcagua is one of the mountains that they mention, and Aconcagua is legit, at nearly 7km tall. Everest is nearly 2km taller than it. There's a huge increase in the risk that scales with height, and Everest is basically twice as dangerous as anything they've climbed.

Even if you ignore the vegan angle, the whole thing to me looks like a major case of overestimating their abilities based on previous achievements.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Wait is $1k supposed to be a lot for a camera? Aren't lenses alone thousands of dollars? I don't know much about photography but I know that it's not cheap.

I mean, it looks like an older B&W photo so yeah for the time it was likely a lot of money.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yah, a modern Hasselblad (which is digital of course) is tens of thousands of dollars. I don't know the exact dollar amounts, but as far as I know, Hasselblad was always an expensive brand.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

At the time, yes. They've always been the Rolls Royce of cameras, though- for comparison, their top-of-the line digital camera now is $45,000 for just the body.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
http://i.imgur.com/zFHh48I.webm

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Hoverboards :allears:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

I had my first real-world hoverboard sighting, today. It was being piloted by a fat little girl. I was walking home with my groceries, and had her in view for about a block. She didn't seem to have any trouble with it. I think maybe hoverboarding is like learning a language. Start when you're young, and it's a snap. Start when you're old and in decline, and you're going to embarrass yourself on the way to proficiency.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Memento posted:

Even if you ignore the vegan angle, the whole thing to me looks like a major case of overestimating their abilities based on previous achievements.

Still, I would argue that climbing other mountains is better preparation for climbing Everest than, say, photoshopping yourself into pictures of Everest.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Still, I would argue that climbing other mountains is better preparation for climbing Everest than, say, photoshopping yourself into pictures of Everest.

Not as much as you'd think, apparently.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Not sure if rain puddle or septic tank leaking.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not sure if rain puddle or septic tank leaking.

Given how happy the animals are, it could be either.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
http://i.imgur.com/X13hkwF.gifv

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Wanna hear a dirty joke? :v:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
http://www.ozy.com/the-party-drug-that-will-give-you-a-sweet-high/68579

Dumb people huffing cocoa powder to "Get high" from a device a belgian guy invented and sells for 50$, the "Chocolate Shooter".

Also, turns out mixing cocoa powder with chili powder doesn't work well. Whodathunkit?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

A good conventional film camera body used to run about $1500-$2500. The last Olympus OM1 (full manual) sold for about $3k as I recall. A Hasselblad body is way more and the lenses are even more expensive.

When you're a photographer, you protect the lens with your body and your life. The trick is to sling it from across shoulder instead of over your neck alone. That way when you fall, the camera hits you on the back instead of on the ground. You'll heal, the lens won't.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

mostlygray posted:

When you're a photographer, you protect the lens with your body and your life.

Until you have insurance. And a backup lens for your current shoot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fight against the Sadness, Artax. Please, you’re letting the Sadness of the Swamps get to you. You have to try. You have to care. For me. You’re my friend. I love you.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:golfclap:

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
poo poo kicking gutter hick follows teens home after they "cut him off", tries to sucker punch one, then gets rear end kicked.

he was also arrested for Walter Sobchaking his firearm after the fight was over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHzMO2_HTbg

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Fight against the Sadness, Artax. Please, you’re letting the Sadness of the Swamps get to you. You have to try. You have to care. For me. You’re my friend. I love you.

gently caress you

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kizudarake posted:

gently caress you

I think it's pretty good actually, but if you don't like it, I'll Hold The Door for you as you leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Chromatic posted:

poo poo kicking gutter hick follows teens home after they "cut him off", tries to sucker punch one, then gets rear end kicked.

he was also arrested for Walter Sobchaking his firearm after the fight was over.

And sentenced to three years probation, plus felon status.

Edit: He didn't pull the gun. His wife loving handed it to him after he got back up.