Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

Does fire defense matter at all against the boreal dancer? Seems no matter what I'm wearing she does half my health with every major blow.

it does.

but I did wuss out and used the greatshield (black iron i think) which made the fight much easier. Still felt like I was cheesing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

flowinprose posted:

Watch this and wallow in your inadequacy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT_XxDsW_-0

Bleed is really pretty effective against the dancer.

Basically, as long as you got Carthus Rouge and a good raw weapon to go with it, you can beat Dancer well before Irithyll. It makes the game a lot more open similar to Dark 2 or Demon's Souls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Eh, not really. The only area you really open up is Lothric Castle. The Consumed King's Garden and Untended Graves are both super short. You can access Archdragon Peak only slightly earlier; by the time you reach the dragon statue, you'll have progressed to the point where you could of taken on the Dancer anyways.

Its only worth doing if there's a specific item you want locked behind her, like the hornet ring.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Getting into Lothric Castle early lets you get Titanite Chunks really early, which is great if you want to just make total chumps of the early game bosses, but it's not really open-ended the same way the first part of Dark 2 is.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

made a new dude and stopped him at SL 35 & +2 weapon right before watchers and so far have gotten 2 wolfbro summons on PC. this is after an entire NG and NG+ run finishing at around SL 120 previously with 0 wolfbro or bluecop summons in like 100 hours of play time. either FROM really did improve the covenant match making or i'm just getting slightly more lucky with the system.

of course 1 of my 2 wolf fights was a 3v1 where the host had 2 gold phantoms with him and immediately ran away into the swamp when i found them. i managed to kill both gold phantoms, then while i was trying to find which other bonfire the host had ran off to, he summons the exact same two phantoms.

you son of a bitch thanks for no wolf grass and wasting 15 minutes of my time. black crystal out

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Does dark sigils and or hollowing carry over from new game into ng plus? I'd like to cure the sigils but holy poo poo it's pricey at all 100. I'd rather just move onto my plus to cure it, if I can.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Oh christ my heart, legit the hardest souls boss I've ever faced.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

Does dark sigils and or hollowing carry over from new game into ng plus? I'd like to cure the sigils but holy poo poo it's pricey at all 100. I'd rather just move onto my plus to cure it, if I can.

They carry over afaik.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Alteisen posted:

You're level god-knows-what with that much HP and stamina, and your estus flask is only +2? No wonder you were having so many problems?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
And using the Deep Battleaxe that you get at the very beginning of the game that is outclassed the second you get it by literally any other weapon infused with Raw.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

DelphiAegis posted:

You're level god-knows-what with that much HP and stamina, and your estus flask is only +2? No wonder you were having so many problems?

I am legitimately happy for you, but totally do some backtracking for Bone Shards. Or hammer that menu option at the firelink bonfire if you have been getting them, but forgetting to use them. (And I guess double checking on Estus Shards while you are at it)

Also, ensuring you've got the ashes that unlock titanite shards and large titanite shards for sale at the vendor lady. You may very well be able to use something stronger than that Deep Axe at this point, or slap on an infusion that may suit you better if you love the battle axe itself. (Bandit axe is also nice).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 24, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Alabaster White posted:

They carry over afaik.
I'm pretty sure they don't.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I just wanted her armor, thought it looked cool. last boss I killed was the deacons and I'm only level 45.

I honestly don't know where the gently caress to go now. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Yea I just wanted her armor, thought it looked cool. last boss I killed was the deacons and I'm only level 45.

I honestly don't know where the gently caress to go now. :v:

Why, head to the statue at the end of the room! Climb that ladder afterwards. With the dancer dead,what can possibly go wrong for you with this sequence break?

More seriously though, Farron's (The giant ladder in giant crab swamp, which had the pair of NPC enemies guarding it), Catacombs, then Boreal and beyond would be your more standard track of progress. You needed the doll from the Deacon's to actually enter Boreal.

EDIT: If you are feeling lucky though, you can try and head up that ladder, and see what you can nab in the process. The Lothric Greatsword for UGS lovers can crack the "early" game wide open, even if I am trash with Ultra Greatswords myself :v:

Like "Here is a Jpg of me parrying the boss of Boreal for over 2,000 damage!" sicknasty.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 24, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just finished Yhorm... sort of. I kinda stood back and watched Sieg just solo the fight while I pelted arrows at Yhorms head.
Jesus Siegmeyer did a lot of damage with that weapon skill. I get that it's the swords property but I thought it would be like 20% extra damage.

So I got two Storm Rulers, why are the attribute requirements 0?

Oh also gently caress the game throwing me into another boss after that. That was mean :(:.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Golden Goat posted:

So I got two Storm Rulers, why are the attribute requirements 0?

So that no one gets hosed out of using the almost mandatory weapon if their build is wrong.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh so you're meant to grab the one at the throne and use it against him. That kinda sucks actually.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

Oh so you're meant to grab the one at the throne and use it against him. That kinda sucks actually.

i imagine that must be really fun to do on a no-death run

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I assume on a no death run you just have Siegmeyer handle it.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
The Dark Sword has got boring and all the cool looking STR weapons take way to much stamina and swing too slow to be useful (I just got the BKGA right after they nerfed it).

I want to respec out of STR and try a dex/luck/bleed/warden twinblade build, what's a good stat spread? I'm currently level 81 or so.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Willfrey posted:

i imagine that must be really fun to do on a no-death run

What would make that hard to do on a no death run? There's a bit of menu fu to equip it in the fight, sure, but the boss moves pretty slow so there's time to do it. I would expect all the unpredictable bosses to be the bane of no death runs instead, like dancer or the end boss

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean if you have trouble juggling menus mid-fight then you can always just homeward bone after grabbing the sword.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I've never had trouble with the Dancer. She dances around you, and you dance right back at her, into her swords, through her strikes, hitting her in the butt. Preferably with dual-wield Sellsword Twinblade L1s, but whatever works for you. She's never taken me more than one attempt, she's one of those bosses that I just instantly click into.

Same thing happened with the Dragonslayer Armour - first time I fought it, it didn't land a single hit.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

I've never had trouble with the Dancer. She dances around you, and you dance right back at her, into her swords, through her strikes, hitting her in the butt. Preferably with dual-wield Sellsword Twinblade L1s, but whatever works for you. She's never taken me more than one attempt, she's one of those bosses that I just instantly click into.

Same thing happened with the Dragonslayer Armour - first time I fought it, it didn't land a single hit.

Yeah, Dragonslayer Armour is kind of a chump. I just beat him at SL15 with a +2 weapon with little difficulty.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I only had that first attempt at Dancer so far and she seemed okay, like I half assed it and still got her down to less then 40%. Had I more estus charges then the 3 I had coming out of Yhorm I could have probably finished it there.

Just need to get used to some of her swing timings.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My issue with the dancer is just the number of different moves she has in her 3 stages. Difficult to memorize

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

I began New Game, but I'm only finding duplicates of all the items. I had 20k souls, so I bought the tower key right away thinking I could get an Estus Ring +2. Nope. Everything is still +1. Aren't I supposed to find +2 stuff now?

None of the rings in the NG+/++ are in the same position as their NG predecessor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:darksouls:

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Thats some pro video settings right there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If this rig ran DS1 years ago it'll run DS3 today dammit. :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SynthOrange posted:

If this rig ran DS1 years ago it'll run DS3 today dammit. :colbert:
Also Dancer in particular cemented my choice to turn the settings down massively, my laptop can run DS3 at pretty high without dying, but I got booted out for insufficient framerate for online play a little too often for my taste. And without fail, once Dancer sets the room on fire with her whirlwind of disaster, things would slow to a crawl. I didn't even notice the first few times how everything had started burning because I was too busy getting used to dodging in slomo. Then I saw how the room looked after I finally won and was like yeaaaah I get the problem.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't.

Your hollowing carries over but I don't believe your sigils do.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Willfrey posted:

My issue with the dancer is just the number of different moves she has in her 3 stages. Difficult to memorize

You don't really need to memorize them, they all just sort of make sense.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

homeless poster posted:

made a new dude and stopped him at SL 35 & +2 weapon right before watchers and so far have gotten 2 wolfbro summons on PC. this is after an entire NG and NG+ run finishing at around SL 120 previously with 0 wolfbro or bluecop summons in like 100 hours of play time. either FROM really did improve the covenant match making or i'm just getting slightly more lucky with the system.

of course 1 of my 2 wolf fights was a 3v1 where the host had 2 gold phantoms with him and immediately ran away into the swamp when i found them. i managed to kill both gold phantoms, then while i was trying to find which other bonfire the host had ran off to, he summons the exact same two phantoms.

you son of a bitch thanks for no wolf grass and wasting 15 minutes of my time. black crystal out

This is pretty much dark_souls_3_pvp.txt. You got lucky if only 1 of those 2 fights was a 3v1.

I was invading from the Exile area above the Farron Keep bonfire last night. SL30/+4. At least 80% gank squads hanging out at the Road of Sacrifices bonfire, and about half of those were giant seeded. The nice, narrow gauntlet to get up to that bonfire was a nice touch. I don't really care about HONORABRU duels, but I do prefer something resembling a fair fight, so for gank squads I'd just crystal out, and for anyone else I would Chameleon up somewhere and just wait. If I got a good duel out of it, great, otherwise - I'd get my tongue because the level would eventually do them in.

If you manage to get a 3v1 who is actually playing through the level - use the giant crabs. At least that will balance the odds somewhat. They are super hard to kill anyway, hit like a truck, and provide a useful distraction while you're flinging fireballs.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
When i farmed wolf covenant at sl 30 ish i mostly got 2vs1s or 1vs1. The gank squads become more common at a higher level.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't think Wolf or Aldrich prioritize summoners, do they? Gank squads jump from 50% to 90% when you're a red.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

Eh, not really. The only area you really open up is Lothric Castle. The Consumed King's Garden and Untended Graves are both super short. You can access Archdragon Peak only slightly earlier; by the time you reach the dragon statue, you'll have progressed to the point where you could of taken on the Dancer anyways.

Its only worth doing if there's a specific item you want locked behind her, like the hornet ring.

It does get you access to a whole lot of titanite scales though, as well as twinkling titanite and chunks. Also a slab if you're willing to go to untended graves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw hell yeah I beat the Dancer! :toot: Now onto the next area... Red Eyed Lothric Knights? Easy peaseyARGGHHHHH

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
Friendly notice to all who like to transfer cool end game poo poo using a second account or a friend: There's a limit to how much you can drop at a time before the game decides to just delete them permanently. Found out after I noticed I was missing my Twin Princes' Greatsword and other potentially neato weapons that were buried by all the armor sets I dropped to my other character. :smithicide:

I'd wager trying to use CE to get the sword back will probably soft ban me right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Aw hell yeah I beat the Dancer! :toot: Now onto the next area... Red Eyed Lothric Knights? Easy peaseyARGGHHHHH

Just wait until Red-eyed BLUE Lothric Knights Mk.2 :getin: