Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I followed a DOOM fangroup for months, played some DOOM 2 and CHEX QUEST 3, and got myself as hyped as I could.

Glory kills are fun the first few times you see one, and eventually you'd rather shoot things to death and ignore the extra health pickups.

Pistol and shotgun feel kinda weak. Super shotgun will be you new rocket launcher at times like the cyberdemon, and becomes something you use really lazily by the end.

A lot of animations and cutscenes halt the pace and prevent players from fighting from start to finish and create breaks.

The codex is the games manual.

The multiplayer has a ton of customization and plays very balanced. Its kind of a Halo clone with DOOM elements.

Theres a done of platforming which is kind of a drag. Since the old series didn't even have jumping it's a bizarre addition.

The level design is very close to the old games if not only a little modernized.

If it didn't have such heavy antipiracy features I wouldn't have bought it. For 60 dollars, I'm never going to replay it and I'll suck 50 gigabytes worth of entertainment from it pretty fast. Might boot up MP once or twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

JohnnyCocksville posted:

Glory kills are fun the first few times you see one, and eventually you'd rather shoot things to death and ignore the extra health pickups.

I agree with some of what you said, but not this. What difficulty are you playing on? Glory kills will save your life if you need the hp bad, or can set you up for death if you do one at the wrong time. They can also allow you to make jumps that you wouldn't have made or finish an enemy off rather than doing a 2 second superhero hand to the ground landing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

In the dozen or so hours I spent testing my map I noticed this too. Pinkies seem to consistently drop to a single nice solid ssg blap to the face. It also seemed easier to one shot imps with the combat shotgun. Strangely though possessed soldiers and hellrazers appeared to have the same health.

Pages ago, but snapmap pinkies don't have the reinforced front shell covering their faces. The entire demon is a weak spot. I don't know why.

Snapmap really needs some tweaks to get it level with the single player again, the engine uses the multiplayer iteration where it really ought to be the single player version instead.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Snap map demons are just different for some reason. For example, things like imp and mancubus attacks are faster and more accurate in snap map.

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ramsus posted:

I agree with some of what you said, but not this. What difficulty are you playing on? Glory kills will save your life if you need the hp bad, or can set you up for death if you do one at the wrong time. They can also allow you to make jumps that you wouldn't have made or finish an enemy off rather than doing a 2 second superhero hand to the ground landing.

Hurt me plenty. I died plenty of times and I used my leverage to leave me from 50 to 90hp after fights, and those were the ones where I was lazy and would super shotty everything.

The "shoot everything in the head" tooltip was useful.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Has anybody figured out how to make friendly demons follow you around a map in snapmap? I can't seem to set any kind of follow point on the doomguy.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Shield guys also seem to be easier on SnapMap. If you shotgun the shield, they stagger and easily let you follow up with a killing shot.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Xenomrph posted:

I also like that you can blow off their dangling vestigial arms, that's really funny to me for some reason.

The damage modelling on many of the creatures is surprisingly detailed considering the pace of the game, and the animations are superb all round.

I remember capping off one particularly hard battle by opening up the mobile turret chaingun and completely unloading it on a Possessed until it ran out of ammo, and what remained of it was barely recognisable. Incredibly satisfying.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Kramjacks posted:

Snap map demons are just different for some reason. For example, things like imp and mancubus attacks are faster and more accurate in snap map.

There are also 3 different types of Imp in SnapMap. If you add a Custom Group Encounter you can add normal Imps, Horde Imps and Seige Imps. Horde will rush you without firing fireballs, and Seige will hang back and fireball you from range.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Talkin about Snapmap...

I made a map! It's inspired by Half Minute Hero so you'll need to move fast and kill fast. Also a talking skeleton!

Search for Demon 30 or the tag HWPGBXNS

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
So like, what's the Doom guy's *~canonical~* strength level? Is the experience of the Slayer dude who writes the testaments one of a Doom guy with constant Berzerk and invulnerability? Otherwise maybe they should stop sending predictable waves of 10-20 Demons when they have multiple dimensions of Demon legions?

Important questions.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Songbearer posted:

The damage modelling on many of the creatures is surprisingly detailed considering the pace of the game, and the animations are superb all round.

I remember capping off one particularly hard battle by opening up the mobile turret chaingun and completely unloading it on a Possessed until it ran out of ammo, and what remained of it was barely recognisable. Incredibly satisfying.

I noticed one of the more messy shotgun kill animations is almost frame for frame from Brutal Doom. I know imps do it, but it's the one were they going spinning through the air sideways while there limbs fly off.

AirRaid posted:

There are also 3 different types of Imp in SnapMap. If you add a Custom Group Encounter you can add normal Imps, Horde Imps and Seige Imps. Horde will rush you without firing fireballs, and Seige will hang back and fireball you from range.

I could never get horde imps to work. I wanted to have a bit were the player was walking down some stairs and some imps would rush up at them from the other room, but they wouldn't spawn. I switched it back to regular imps and it worked sort of fine. I ended ditching for the idea most part, because for some reason I couldn't figure out they would just stand there a good deal of the time.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Pages ago, but snapmap pinkies don't have the reinforced front shell covering their faces. The entire demon is a weak spot. I don't know why.

Snapmap really needs some tweaks to get it level with the single player again, the engine uses the multiplayer iteration where it really ought to be the single player version instead.

Yeah, there do seem to be a lot of little things like that. It's a little confusing if you're switching between the snapmap and single player. The interact buttons being different on the PS4 is especially annoying because the interact button in snapmap is the button for the BFG in single player, so I end up threatening a lot of doors with great green death in single player now.

Here's a video of me running through my map kind of poorly and if you look closely you can see a lot of the behaviors that have been mentioned. Including an imp leading me by a fair ways, and the weak nut shield guys that I dance around for awhile before I remembered I could just blast them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP39zXeR0pE

maev posted:

So like, what's the Doom guy's *~canonical~* strength level? Is the experience of the Slayer dude who writes the testaments one of a Doom guy with constant Berzerk and invulnerability? Otherwise maybe they should stop sending predictable waves of 10-20 Demons when they have multiple dimensions of Demon legions?

Important questions.

I'm pretty sure nuts.wad is canon now.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 24, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yeah, there do seem to be a lot of little things like that. It's a little confusing if you're switching between the snapmap and single player. The interact buttons being different on the PS4 is especially annoying because the interact button in snapmap is the button for the BFG in single player, so I end up threatening a lot of doors with great green death in single player now.

It's not just PS4. I'm playing with the default key mapping on PC and the keybinds are different between snap map and SP, as well.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The controls across m/kb and controller for both campaign and snapmap are inconsistent.
Controllers have melee and interact assigned to the same button (R3) yet the keyboard has melee and interact on separate buttons (E to interact, F to melee).
But you can't use R3 on snapmap interact actions, it's Y instead.
It's very obvious that separate teams did campaign and snapmap.

If somebody made a list of differences between campaign and snapmap, it would be fairly exhaustive. Weapon behaviours, monster behaviours, button bindings, interactions, movement speeds, projectile behaviour, and so forth are all different.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

A.o.D. posted:

It's not just PS4. I'm playing with the default key mapping on PC and the keybinds are different between snap map and SP, as well.

Whats even worse, the game will reset your keys on you when you're switching between modes. So you may have it set for single player, but switch to snap or multi then come back to single and you'll have to rebind some of them. It doesn't reset all of them, just some of them, and the same for the other modes when you come back to them. Its very odd and especially irksome when a multiplayer match starts and you're getting shot rebinding keys.

Snap map is looking more and more like a lost opportunity unless they do a bit more with it. Let people play it like the single player game mode and add more variety, like hell rooms/outdoor areas as pre-fabs. My favorite episode in doom 1 was #2, the shores of hell, because of how it wasn't just techbases anymore, or hell, but this weird mix of the mars base transforming into hell in places. I'd like to see some maps with that spirit. As well, how about they let people make sets of levels that link together, within limits (like, oh say, 8 maps total :v:). Lets get some custom co-op episodes!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

maev posted:

Important questions.

The 'Slayer' dude IS Doomguy (Cause they keep calling him The Doom Slayer). My interpretation is that the legends of his rear end kicking aren't necessarily exaggerated, but written with the filter of fear and apocalyptic terror, because he was--up until the trap--a completely unstoppable being of demon slaughter. Not even their greatest champion could stop him. So he wasn't invulnerable, he was just doing something akin to the SP campaign for time immemorial until he got put in a box.

Edit: If Hell is me kicking rear end for all eternity then I'd ready to go now.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

maev posted:

Important questions.

Canonically I'd say he's unkillable. They couldn't even kill him when they had him trapped so they put him in that sarcophagus. And the codex for the Doom armor says that it is impervious to any damage methods they had tried so he's double invincible.

As for how actually strong he is, he's about as strong as he needs to be. Capable of breaking out of chains and crushing a demonic human skull into gibs even without the suit.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Here's a video of me running through my map kind of poorly and if you look closely you can see a lot of the behaviors that have been mentioned. Including an imp leading me by a fair ways, and the weak nut shield guys that I dance around for awhile before I remembered I could just blast them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP39zXeR0pE

What i'm seeing here is quite impressive! I haven't touched snapmap yet so i'm not sure of its limitations, but it looks at least that you can string enough rooms/corridors/large arenas together to emulate the qualites of old school Doom maps.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

I could never get horde imps to work. I wanted to have a bit were the player was walking down some stairs and some imps would rush up at them from the other room, but they wouldn't spawn. I switched it back to regular imps and it worked sort of fine. I ended ditching for the idea most part, because for some reason I couldn't figure out they would just stand there a good deal of the time.

Tried setting their spawn behaviour to "hunt"? They'll track the player from a distance then.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

When the soundtrack comes out I'm going to grind my eardrums to dust.

There are only two good songs: bfg division and the red planet. The rest are weird metal dubstep infusions

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

JohnnyCocksville posted:

Hurt me plenty. I died plenty of times and I used my leverage to leave me from 50 to 90hp after fights, and those were the ones where I was lazy and would super shotty everything.

The "shoot everything in the head" tooltip was useful.

Sounds to me like you suck at ripping and tearing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AirRaid posted:

There's also the prowler, which I don't think was in single player ever? Like a super imp.

lite_sleepr posted:

There are only two good songs: bfg division and the red planet. The rest are weird metal dubstep infusions

:agreed:

I mostly just listen to the classic doom soundtrack or slayer in the background while I play. The glitchhop gets old.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 24, 2016

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well this has the movement and combat i was looking for, no sdk is killing me however and turning this into a game quickly gone. gently caress snapmap

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

NESguerilla posted:

It's probably not the smartest thing playing this on max headphone volume all the time but I can't bring myself to turn it down.

You're right! It's a better idea to get a headphone amp and then play it at max volume.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Dead wrong.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

ravinghobo posted:

This man knows how to live.

Really liking how the Cacodemons reminds me of a flabby meat sack filled with a dead Grandfather's cabbage farts. And I truly hope someone laughed like a 12 year old fool when they added in the high pitched farty pain sound.

Don't think I'll ever get tired of watching the flopping meat chunks when you kill them juuust right. And what happens when they're shot in the eye. Curious if all monsters have some sort of amusing behavior when you hit them in just the right spot.

I shot the eye out of a Cacodemon, which suddenly stopped, and suddenly laughed at me before blindly launching a fireball way, way to the right of me. That actually gave me some severe pause in this game.

One of the white, bulky zombie enemies (Hell Knights?) actually have a voice clip that says, "Please, don't kill me!" when they take a non-kill faceshot.

E: best SnapMap has been this Dark Souls ll map with a take on Majula - with a fiery, sparking machine called The Panelfire. I love this game and it's fans.

E2: Overwatch and BLOPSlll are slow as pandas loving compared to DOOM, oh my god.

Armani fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 24, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NESguerilla posted:

It's probably not the smartest thing playing this on max headphone volume all the time but I can't bring myself to turn it down.

Rip and tear.
Rip and tear your eardrums

By the way I figured out how to do music transitions in Snap Map now, and can now have BFG Division kick in during horde fights. It's great.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

nosophoros posted:

Dead wrong.

You cannot deny the amount of wubs going on in all of these songs.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I might pay good money for a complete or at least version of the doomguy doll e1m1. It'd be the first time I'd ever pay for a ringtone but whatever!

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's also the prowler, which I don't think was in single player ever? Like a super imp.

:agreed:

I mostly just listen to the classic doom soundtrack or slayer in the background while I play. The glitchhop gets old.

Prowler is from MP.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

The Doom Slayer isn't anything like the demons, I'm not sure how people come to this conclusion. If he's considered unhuman, it's probably because the seraphim blessed him.

He's unhuman because he's not a human being. Besides, did you forget the whole intro bit? "They are demon incarnate, but you're going to be worse?" and all that?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MisterBibs posted:

He's unhuman because he's not a human being. Besides, did you forget the whole intro bit? "They are demon incarnate, but you're going to be worse?" and all that?

That just sounds like a cool thing Rambo might say.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

How many generations separated from Uther the Lightbringer is Doom Slayer

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like people are misinterpreting the lines about him being blessed by angels or whatever. That's not an objective statement of fact - that's the words of the demon overlord. He just THINKS doomguy must be blessed by angels and drinking demon blood because he just can't fathom a regular human being so badass as to take on the legions of hell on his own.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like people are misinterpreting the lines about him being blessed by angels or whatever. That's not an objective statement of fact - that's the words of the demon overlord. He just THINKS doomguy must be blessed by angels and drinking demon blood because he just can't fathom a regular human being so badass as to take on the legions of hell on his own.
You have just displayed more understanding of the plot of this game than most of this thread

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

I would rather listen to just about anything than metal or dub step or god forbid a mix of the 2 but it's just so perfect for Doom. I'm all in.

It's like that god awful Asian techno in Japanese games that is amazing while you are actually playing the game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I thought the angelic blessing bit, where he's supposed to be able to gain strength from his enemy's death, was a weird bit of textual justification for glory kills dropping health and ammo.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

He just THINKS doomguy must be blessed by angels and drinking demon blood because he just can't fathom a regular human being so badass as to take on the legions of hell on his own.

He's not a regular human being, though. He's not even a human being.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yes I'm sure an alien species can understand English after simply just encountering it after waking up from a fancy rock plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

He's not a regular human being, though. He's not even a human being.

So you're saying he would be able to fight his way through cazador valley?