Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can't you sent the default notification sound to "silent" and change it for your SMS app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

lite_sleepr posted:

How do I disable audible notifications for everything except texts?

It gets annoying hearing beeps for tweets and junk mail.

Also Android has the worst predictive text ever. Wow it is bad.

Make the default notification silent then change the notification sound for your sms app of choice the one you want.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Or make the SMS app notification a priority and stick it in do not disturb

Or priority only if its old android

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

lite_sleepr posted:

Also Android has the worst predictive text ever. Wow it is bad.

What phone are you using?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Lowen SoDium posted:

What phone are you using?

A Galaxy Core.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I just restarted my encrypted phone for the first time in a couple weeks, and it never asked me for my PIN to continue the boot process. What happened there? Is there some grace period or something where if I start my phone up quick enough, it bypasses the whole decryption thing?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

lite_sleepr posted:

A Galaxy Core.

You can install better keyboards from the play store. Swiftkey was already suggested; there's also just "Google Keyboard".
Surely either of those would be better than the touchwiz keyboard from 2013.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mogomra posted:

I just restarted my encrypted phone for the first time in a couple weeks, and it never asked me for my PIN to continue the boot process. What happened there? Is there some grace period or something where if I start my phone up quick enough, it bypasses the whole decryption thing?

I had that problem when I installed LastPass. Basically, if you turn on a new accessibility service, Android will assume you need help using your phone and will turn off "PIN at boot" so you don't get locked out of it (the accessibility services don't start until your phone boots). Annoyingly, there's no warning that this is happening, so you don't know about it until you reboot.

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=8936

That's the fix for when you're using LastPass, but should be the same for everything else:
-Turn off accessibility to the app
-Turn off PIN at boot
-Turn on accessibility for the app
-Turn on PIN at boot and acknowledge that accessibility won't work until after your phone is decrypted.

If that's not your problem, I dunno.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Uthor posted:

I had that problem when I installed LastPass. Basically, if you turn on a new accessibility service, Android will assume you need help using your phone and will turn off "PIN at boot" so you don't get locked out of it (the accessibility services don't start until your phone boots). Annoyingly, there's no warning that this is happening, so you don't know about it until you reboot.

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=8936

That's the fix for when you're using LastPass, but should be the same for everything else:
-Turn off accessibility to the app
-Turn off PIN at boot
-Turn on accessibility for the app
-Turn on PIN at boot and acknowledge that accessibility won't work until after your phone is decrypted.

If that's not your problem, I dunno.

This makes sense. I was fiddling with the options in Chromer recently, and I believe I did do some sort of accessibility thing. Thanks!

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What's the best way to sell an old phone? I've got a Verizon HTC One M8 that I recently upgraded from and it is still in like new condition save for the battery, not a nick or scratch on the thing.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

The French Army! posted:

What's the best way to sell an old phone? I've got a Verizon HTC One M8 that I recently upgraded from and it is still in like new condition save for the battery, not a nick or scratch on the thing.

Swappa or Craigslist (the latter depending on where you live)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Swappa.com is generally the easiest in my experience. You'll probably make more money on CL, but it's a much bigger pain in the rear end.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

lite_sleepr posted:

A Galaxy Core.

Beaten, but the Samsung keyboard is complete rear end for prediction. Try the Google keyboard, or Swift key. Check the play store for either of them and it will be a night and day difference.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
So if I want to wait for the new nexus, but my phones screen is shattered, battery degraded, and power button is jammed....

And I want to go google fi, I should take the $150 discount on the 5x and then flip it when the new nexus comes out, if the reviews are good?

The 6p seems nice but the new model drops in a few months right?

It seems a crazy good deal to have a $200 phone that rivals my HTC one m8 I paid almost $700 for.

Edit: sorry I read all the nexus talk earlier and the thread, but I didn't know I'd shatter my screen...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Doesn't the M8 have "uh oh" protection?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

galahan posted:

So if I want to wait for the new nexus, but my phones screen is shattered, battery degraded, and power button is jammed....

And I want to go google fi, I should take the $150 discount on the 5x and then flip it when the new nexus comes out, if the reviews are good?

It seems a crazy good deal to have a $200 phone that rivals my HTC one m8 I paid almost $700 for.

Edit: sorry I read all the nexus talk earlier and the thread, but I didn't know I'd shatter my screen...

October/November is more than a few months.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

galahan posted:

Just did this exact thing. Dropping $250 on a phone with a smaller form factor to replace my shattered Nexus 6 seems like a steal when the replacement glass and digitizer costs nearly $200.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So, I managed to either leave the torch on on my Nexus 6P all night, or possible turned it on by accident while snoozing my alarm. If the former, could I have done it any damage? I remember years ago the LED on my HTC Desire went a yellowish colour after a while, which I presumed was from using it as a torch. I'm guessing these days there's some sort of built in protection, a heat-sink, or something to turn it off if it gets too hot? I'm looking at it now and I've sorted of convinced myself it looks a bit yellowy, but I'm not sure because it's quite a warm white anyway.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
So I have a 3rd generation Moto G with the smaller amount of RAM and 8GBs of storage. But I got a 32 GB flash drive to up the storage. Here are the specs:

Scandisk Ultra
Micro SD, HC I
32 GB
10 with a circle around it

So a couple weeks ago, before the most recent update, it was unmounting when I was listening to my podcasts (BeyondPod) the flash would unmount, or it would say that it couldn't be found. And after I restarted, it would work for a while and then would unmount again.

I installed the update, which turns it into 'internal storage' or whatever. And it was working fine until about two weeks ago, when it started having the same problem again. I've looked around the internet for an answer, but I really can't find anything, so I figured I'd ask you guys if this sounded like a problem. Could I have gotten a weird Flash drive? Was it too big?

Edit:
Currently the OS is taking up 3.47 GB, Internal: 3.91 of 4.53, SD 4.97 of 29.24

bollig fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 24, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bollig posted:

So I have a 3rd generation Moto G with the smaller amount of RAM and 8GBs of storage. But I got a 32 GB flash drive to up the storage. Here are the specs:

Scandisk Ultra
Micro SD, HC I
32 GB
10 with a circle around it

So a couple weeks ago, before the most recent update, it was unmounting when I was listening to my podcasts (BeyondPod) the flash would unmount, or it would say that it couldn't be found. And after I restarted, it would work for a while and then would unmount again.

I installed the update, which turns it into 'internal storage' or whatever. And it was working fine until about two weeks ago, when it started having the same problem again. I've looked around the internet for an answer, but I really can't find anything, so I figured I'd ask you guys if this sounded like a problem. Could I have gotten a weird Flash drive? Was it too big?

Edit:
Currently the OS is taking up 3.47 GB, Internal: 3.91 of 4.53, SD 4.97 of 29.24

You've either got a bad card or a bad card reader in the phone.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

LastInLine posted:

Any way to test the card reader?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

butt dickus posted:

Doesn't the M8 have "uh oh" protection?

Yes, but only for a year, I was an early adopter, plus volume rocker took a hit and slamming a desk won't even fix my power button, I have the screen set to 15 second time out.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

bollig posted:

Any way to test the card reader?

Try a known good card.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SB35 posted:

Try a known good card.

This is pretty much the only way. Are you sure your 32 GB card isn't counterfeit? How full is it?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Had the same issue on my moto g3, using a Samsung evo class 10 card. I guess it's a lemon, because while the size is correct (32 GB), Android claims the card isn't fast enough, and that I should use at least a class 10 card.
So much for buying the cheapest stuff on Amazon!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

Had the same issue on my moto g3, using a Samsung evo class 10 card. I guess it's a lemon, because while the size is correct (32 GB), Android claims the card isn't fast enough, and that I should use at least a class 10 card.
So much for buying the cheapest stuff on Amazon!

The cheapest cards are usually counterfeit and if you're not buying from Amazon directly I'd wager your chances of getting a counterfeit card are higher than most would be comfortable with.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
If I had a bum reader would it have ever worked? I had some good use out of it for ~2 months before it started acting wonky.
I got the SD card during an Amazon Gold box deal.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bollig posted:

If I had a bum reader would it have ever worked? I had some good use out of it for ~2 months before it started acting wonky.
I got the SD card during an Amazon Gold box deal.

That's why I'm asking how full the card is, maybe the errors didn't show up until it reached a certain capacity but you say 5 out 30GB so not that full. Either way you're in the same boat, that card isn't going to work with that phone and your phone is small and requires a card so I guess you need to get another card.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I bought the exact same card direct from Amazon and my Moto X Pure also said it wasn't fast enough when I tried Adoptable Storage mode.

Could just be Motorola then? I think we all know I'm not super big on SD cards in general for exactly this reason but unfortunately bollig is pretty much stuck here.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 24, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

The cheapest cards are usually counterfeit and if you're not buying from Amazon directly I'd wager your chances of getting a counterfeit card are higher than most would be comfortable with.

I bought the exact same card direct from Amazon and my Moto X Pure also said it wasn't fast enough when I tried Adoptable Storage mode.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wow, looks like SD cards are garbage, wish someone had told me before I wasted money on a non-Nexus

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
whats up with the 6p and it not responding to volume controls when the screen is locked? They are going to fix that, right?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Ain't no one got time for that when there's about seven messenger apps to develop!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
lol, all right setting the auto-lock to "immediately" worked

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-6p/682296-can-t-control-volume-when-screen-off.html#post5191779

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:wtc:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
e: nvm

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Android Pay gets a bunch of new bank support. One notable addition is Capital One.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/05/24/capitol-one-comes-android-pay-along-bunch-banks/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Android Pay gets a bunch of new bank support. One notable addition is Capital One.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/05/24/capitol-one-comes-android-pay-along-bunch-banks/

Come on Simple :negative:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Skeezy posted:

Come on Simple :negative:

Come on Canada.... :negative:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Scaramouche posted:

Come on Canada.... :negative:

Come on AAdvantage.... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Come on Capital One... :negative:

(does not work despite the lies on android.com)