Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ghost moths do any kind of stat damage if you let them melee you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Is it worth going UC if you're planning on statue form? I have a Draconian Conjurer I went Chei with and it's time to choose a weapon, but the UC bonus in statue is so huge I'm thinking that's the best choice? Or should I go for axes/maces/whatever for the first great weapon I find?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
uc is a huge skill sink, since mindelay is at 27 skill. if you have the spare xp, you can go for that, but i think you'd basically have to abandon further cj investment for the rest of a 3-rune game. most weapons will be cheaper, esp 1h ones, but they won't do as much damage - it's a tradeoff.

with cj, i'd probably lean toward weapons, but i think there's room for multiple positions

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

resistentialism posted:

Ghost moths do any kind of stat damage if you let them melee you.

Those would show up in Swamp, right? If I see a ghost moth I can always unequip the amulet. Thanks!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ghost moths are in Spider, Vaults, Depths, and Zot. They're permanently invisible, you "see" them when they start draining your MP.

What version are you playing? I thought brain worms were removed in 0.18.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Yeah that's the copy installed on the work computer which is .17.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Arivia posted:

Ghost moths are in Spider, Vaults, Depths, and Zot. They're permanently invisible, you "see" them when they start draining your MP.

What version are you playing? I thought brain worms were removed in 0.18.
Look at this nerd who plays things that aren't nagas. :rolleyes:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

God dammit Pan! That formacid's got 12 runes!

Well at least I have options. First I made a backup save for admins to gently caress around with, hopefully they can make one of the walls diggable, preferably the non transparent stone, but I won't turn my nose up at anything. Then I hosed around offline in wizmode for an hour to see if I could use my rod of shadows. Results suggest that it's possible to use the rod to escape. Either by getting a deep troll earth elementalist (which will likely poof out of existence long before it has a chance to pop any walls, and that's assuming it isn't torn apart by the rest of the deep trolls after I turn it hostile)(e:like I kind of have to emphasize how impossible it is for this to happen, it took the testing DTEE a few dozen LRDs to open a wall, and that's in conditions where it didn't have limited existing time or other deep trolls trying to kill it, AND it wouldn't LRD if the opening wall would hit it) or by getting a hell knight with a distortion weapon to abyss me (similar problems of it not lasting long, but it's easier to get hit by a dude than it is to coax an LRD, though this one has the problem that not all hell knights will have distortion weapons) where I'll be able to search for a book with LRD or Shatter and grab enough EXP to get it wall popping strong.

Hoo boy I really don't want to be using that rod for this.

Akett fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 24, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, this ghost is melee only, and I'm a centaur. I really have no reason not to kite it around in a circle until it's dead, even if I'm not doing much damage per shot despite my +9 shortbow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzYWzNTB8m0
code:
You shoot an arrow.
The arrow hits Buffagor's ghost but does no damage.
_Buffagor's ghost is almost destroyed.
You shoot an arrow. The arrow hits Buffagor's ghost!!
You destroy Buffagor's ghost!
_Okawaru accepts your kill.
No target in view!
time to autoexplore and pick all these arrows back up :pwn:

code:
_k - 154 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 155 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 157 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 158 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 159 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 160 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 163 arrows (gained 3)
_k - 164 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 165 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 166 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 168 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 169 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 170 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 171 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 172 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 174 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 175 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 177 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 179 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 180 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 181 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 182 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 183 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 184 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 185 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 186 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 188 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 189 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 191 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 193 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 195 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 197 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 199 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 200 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 201 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 202 arrows (gained 1)
_You are feeling hungry.
_k - 203 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 204 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 205 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 206 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 208 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 211 arrows (gained 3)
_k - 212 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 213 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 214 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 215 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 216 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 217 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 219 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 221 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 222 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 223 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 226 arrows (gained 3)
_k - 227 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 229 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 230 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 231 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 233 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 234 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 237 arrows (gained 3)
_k - 238 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 239 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 240 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 241 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 242 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 243 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 245 arrows (gained 2)
_Key pressed, stopping explore.
_k - 246 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 248 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 249 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 250 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 252 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 254 arrows (gained 2)
_k - 255 arrows (gained 1)
_k - 256 arrows (gained 1)
k - 257 arrows (gained 1)
_There is a staircase to the Slime Pits here.
loving love ranged combat

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Ukayaw and Hepliaklqana have hit trunk if you haven't already messed around with them in the experimental branch.

Is there a reason why Hep hates cats?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Any plans to update the trunk tiles binaries? I can't build Crawl on Windows and on Linux it gives me an error about being unable to build floor.png? Console version builds just fine on Linux.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Floodkiller posted:

Ukayaw and Hepliaklqana have hit trunk if you haven't already messed around with them in the experimental branch.

Hep doesn't like felids because they revive instead of leaving proper ghosts, I think was the rationale.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Tournament report!

Somewhat happy with how I did. As always (since kids), time is a major factor.

Managed to win 3 games (DsMo of Kiku: 7 runes, VpEn of Dith: 5 runes, GhAr of Pak 5 runes). Managed to cross Vp, Gh, En, Ar, Dith, and Pak off of my unwon list, so that's good. Also got an unexpected Test Subject III banner with the DsMo.

Was on my way to a possible KoAs of Trog win, but again, time is an issue.

I really want to 15 rune again. I don't think I have since 2012-2013. Also, I need to learn to play a lot faster, both in time and turns.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Broke the streak on game 5, KoNe killed by death yaks in lair. I had a very late temple, and took Ash since I was using some cursed +0 auxes and a Fragile weapon - +4 flail "Yvyirof" (weapon) {vamp, Fragile +Blink +Inv rF+}. Even found an IDA to use with it, once I got the skill boost and trained Necro a bit more my spells were all fine in it. Sadly I didn't think to use the +inv vs the death yaks, I was just very slowly separating and dueling and draining them, eventually one got me via energy randomisation.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

Ancestors use, and in the case of the Knight are largely defined by, weapons & armour. Felids, in contrast, are the world's largest cat-shaped special case machine.

For flavor... Hep doesn't care about ghosts or the undead at all, but maybe xhe isn't too pleased with Felids' short attention spans? I mean, they're cats. What was the last time you saw a cat venerating their ancestors? :)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I demand saber-tooth tiger ancestors for felids.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

Ancestors use, and in the case of the Knight are largely defined by, weapons & armour. Felids, in contrast, are the world's largest cat-shaped special case machine.

For flavor... Hep doesn't care about ghosts or the undead at all, but maybe xhe isn't too pleased with Felids' short attention spans? I mean, they're cats. What was the last time you saw a cat venerating their ancestors? :)

Hep cares about ghosts in that you are provided one. (Though are they actually undead? I assumed they were, being ancestor spirits, but...)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
They're constructs of memory. (Hence, nonliving, not undead.)

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Hey Hito, you threatened to do some more videos. I enjoyed the ones you did back in like 2014, so yeah, you should deffo do some more.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PleasingFungus posted:

Aren't felids supposed to be magical accidents from kooky wizard experiments or whatever? So their ancestors would just be regular non-magical housecats.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
Didn't get to spend much time playing during the tournament on account of my move going about as poorly as I could've predicted, short of the moving company disappearing with all of my belongings. I won't even be able to hook up internet for at least another month.

I still managed to ascend a 15 rune Minotaur Berserker and 4 rune Deep Dwarf Monk. I also splatted a few of the most promising characters I think I've ever had, including a High Elf Air Elementalist on Zig:24 and a Centaur Artificer, also in a Zig, and also with enough runes to ascend. The centaur had +13 slaying and a +9 longbow with an amulet of harm, with a lajatang of speed as my melee option and Piercer as a backup launcher.

5% win rate for the tourney, which for me is decent.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Its all good. You were still the highest point-scorer on our team anyway. I had my 15 rune character, who was absolutely beastly, and then splatted a bunch of others.

I was quite impressed with the performance of eveningstars as one handers. I had no problem doing extended with an eveningstar and a shield. Killed all the pan and hell lords just fine. I wish I could always have a pair of antimagic and holy eveningstars in all my games.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Eveningstars are identical to Double swords in terms of stats, and those can 100% be used all the way through endgame.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any way to force disconnect an active web tiles session remotely? I had a good run going today but I left the browser window open at work so I can't continue from home :saddowns:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Shakill OReal posted:

Is there any way to force disconnect an active web tiles session remotely? I had a good run going today but I left the browser window open at work so I can't continue from home :saddowns:

That's what you get for playing on company time.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Accidentally posted this in the roguelike thread:

Nanomashoes posted:

Dear crawlgoons: I'm in a bit of a quandary and I need your advice.

I've only been playing crawl for about a week, but I've been getting better and better at it. Right now I finally have a character that can probably go beat the game, I've got four runes (swamp, spider nest, vault, tomb), and could probably go try for the orb. Thing is though, I kinda want to get as many runes as I feel capable of, or at least try so I can see as much of the game as I can. I feel like I'm strong enough to get the slime pit and abyss runes, but with one glaring problem: I have no mutation resist. After thinking for a while, I came up with a sort of plan: change gods from Qazlal to Zin. After all, I have about 9k gold from the tomb and could just pledge it all to him for a huge boost in piety. There's a lot of unknowns for me though: I don't know if my gold will be enough to get good piety, I don't know if I can withstand qazlal's wrath, and quite honestly, I had to rely quite a bit on disaster area in order to get where I am. I don't know if Zin's powers will be able to fill that gap.

Here's my character right now post-tomb:

I have good elemental resist gear in a stash too, and 4 cure mutation potions. So, is my plan to swap gods solid or am I a complete newbie idiot still? And if I'm dumb, can I maybe blunder through slime pits with cure mutation potions to make it a solid 5 runes?

Also gently caress torment.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You don't need mutation resist(at all, for the whole game) and usually shouldn't swap gods just for that. Just quaff cure mut after slime if your mutations are nasty enough, abyss often doesn't give you any permanent mutations and slime only has one mutating enemy which is sorta slow and won't always mutate you(and sometimes you won't run into them anyways).

What are your skills? Also probably get rC+ before doing slime, and definitely put on rCorr

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Accidentally posted this in the roguelike thread:

You can do slime easily enough - you can only be mutated by Shining Eyes, and they are very fragile - just Upheaval them while hiding behind other monsters, or axe them if they get next to you. In Abyss/Pan the same is true of neqoxecs, though cacodemons might take multiple Upheavals and you may have no realistic choice but to risk mutations for a few turns while meleeing them.

Personally I would keep Qazlal because I enjoy doing extended with him and wrath just adds messes, Zin is definitely stronger what with not drawing the whole world to you. Normally my advice is to never consider switching gods until after you have won the game, but if you've gotten to that point in a week you should be able to handle it, or do it again if you splat in extended. And you handled Qaz Tomb so you should be able to handle troubles in the rest of extended.

You have plenty of gold for the Zin piety.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Skills:

I have rC+++ if I want it and I had a ring of corrosion resist but I lost it somewhere, I think I dropped it in elf 3 to check out an artifact and forgot to pick it back up. Guess I'll go clear out the slime pits and see how I'm feeling from there.

e: went back and found the ring, yeah.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 25, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Put [timg] around images instead of [img] so they aren't huge, thanks.

You can always just hit ctrl+f to search for anything you dropped.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Put [timg] around images instead of [img] so they aren't huge, thanks.

You can always just hit ctrl+f to search for anything you dropped.

That's a super useful feature, wow.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

So it looks like 0.19 has already finished development.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I think this is the silliest set of mutations I've gotten this early in the game. I'm on D:5!

Xom has been kind; I expect him to abyss me soon.

Edit: christ it's only getting better

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 25, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
go zin once you have cash

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I am a demonspawn, Zin wants nothing to do with me lol

apple posted:

Speaking of Xom: someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one possible Xom action is to remove bad mutations? If that's the case he's a little stronger now without rMut around..
It definitely is; he is weighted more towards giving you good mutations or removing bad ones, but he can still completely gently caress you over if he feels like it. Case in point: the time yesterday when he killed my OgCK in Pan when he gave me blurry vision 3 a turn before I was planning to teleport out.

"You need some minor improvements, mortal!"
Your vision blurs. Your vision blurs. You feel weaker. Your vision blurs.
:shepicide:

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 25, 2016

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Speaking of Xom: someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one possible Xom action is to remove bad mutations? If that's the case he's a little stronger now without rMut around..

We love you too, dpeg :allears:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh man, I've cleared out all of Zot now, got 6 runes, all I gotta do is grab the orb and run it to the surface.

LETS GO TO HELL

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hell is fun! Well, the final set floors of them are fun. The 6 pointless levels before each of them not so much. And Pan is fun till ya' get stuck looking for the Demonic Rune on your 40th or so random floor.

Abyss sucks.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I had like 6 gates out of the abyss spawn on top of me on the way to the rune, got the rune within like a minute of searching the 3rd floor, then spent an agonizing half hour trying to find my way out of the abyss where I came close to dying several times.

Upon further consideration, I'm probably just gonna go try to win the game, seeing as how I have never done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

OK, the orb run is... not at all challenging if you have taken on the tomb and the abyss. Kinda wish I had done hell now, but hey, there's always another character.
I really want to do some sort of Zin character now. Mutations suck, and blasting demons sounds fun.

• Locked thread