Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This guy made a searchable database of all Marvel Unlimited titles.

https://nightcrawler-m.herokuapp.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

zoux posted:

This is cool and good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Walter Simonson visionionaries 1-4 are on sale for 5 and less with the password Walt

Booya! I was only using my MU sub to slowly read Simonson Thor, so goodbye to that for a while.

e:

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's not all his run apparently.

Yeah. The Visionaries are up to #374, where the omnibus goes to #382.

Also, only #3 is in HD for some reason.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 23, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

They have not put up the last part of his run. It's like Waid's FF, they have most but not all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/The-Incal-Sale/page/10833?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
comiXology Unlimted!
https://www.comixology.com/unlimited

$5.99/month, all you can read.

I don't see a list of publishers on the site, but Bleeding Cool is saying "Image, Dark Horse, IDW, Boom, Oni, Archie, Valiant, Fantagraphics and more".

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Uthor posted:

comiXology Unlimted!

I don't see a list of publishers on the site, but Bleeding Cool is saying "Image, Dark Horse, IDW, Boom, Oni, Archie, Valiant, Fantagraphics and more".

:captainpop:

Edit: http://support.comixology.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2440696-what-publishers-are-included-in-comixology-unlimited-

Comixology posted:

ComiXology Unlimited is the only subscription service to feature books from Image Comics and Dark Horse Comics, comiXology Unlimited also includes great titles from IDW Publishing, BOOM! Studios, Dynamite Entertainment, Kodansha Comics, Oni Press, Valiant Entertainment, Archie Comics, Fantagraphics Books, Humanoids, Action Lab Entertainment, Aspen Comics, Zenescope Entertainment and more.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 24, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow, finally. No DC though, I guess this makes them the last company without a digital back catalog service.

gently caress yes all of BPRD

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 24, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I love the FAQs response to why it's US only. No actual explanation, and not even pretending to answer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hmm, looking at some of the titles indicates a really log lag time. There's only 6 issues of Saga and 12 issues of Walking Dead available.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uthor posted:

Hmm, looking at some of the titles indicates a really log lag time. There's only 6 issues of Saga and 12 issues of Walking Dead available.

Yep and only the first trade of Bloodshot

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Hey neat, our model. Well that didn't take long. At least PowFolio has an ad supported model as well for the same content, I am not sure Comixology will go that route.

We also have books from Image so I'm not sure why they are claiming to be the only one. We haven't brought Dark Horse in but we have a few Image titles and more are coming.

edit well I guess technically they are right, as currently we are a free service with Image, and they are a pay service with Image. But still.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 24, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They want to be able to say "DOZENS OF NEW TITLES EACH WEEK/MONTH!!!" Can't do that if they're all there at the start.

Plus rights agreements obviously.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

They want to be able to say "DOZENS OF NEW TITLES EACH WEEK/MONTH!!!" Can't do that if they're all there at the start.

Yeah, maybe. I'd have to see how (if) new issues are added before dropping money on it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Yeah I didn't realize they are including "+wish list" in the books available search. So is the plan to add new stuff weekly and regularly or just randomly dumping a bunch of new books whenever?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah I'm definitely doing the 30 day trial and binge reading all the volume 1 trades I haven't picked up yet, but how and how much new content gets added will be everything in transitioning to paying customer.

also goddamn this app seems way better than marvel unlimited already.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mover posted:

Yeah I'm definitely doing the 30 day trial and binge reading all the volume 1 trades I haven't picked up yet, but how and how much new content gets added will be everything in transitioning to paying customer.

also goddamn this app seems way better than marvel unlimited already.

Oh, the Comixology app was the whole reason Amazon bought them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looking around, they say that, like Netflix, they are going to rotate comics in and out. So if I had to guess, I'd guess that a lot of the #1's we see will be permanent while full runs will come and go. Has anyone found any long runs that are complete? (that aren't garbage that no one would read anyway)

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Oh gently caress that then I wanted to be able to read the entirety of some things

Signed up for the trial and nothing in the app says unlimited

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 24, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comixology Unlimited*!

*Actually very limited

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/warrenellis/status/735136987527675906

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

The Incal is one of those books I've never gotten around to reading, but I remember reading about recoloring issues - is this a good edition to buy? Seems like a great deal.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Anybody else getting payment issues for unlimited on mobile?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

I always wondered how publishers whose lines are heavily creator owned handle stuff like this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

No DC though

Gaz-L posted:

it's US only

:dawkins101:

TheManWithNoName posted:

The Incal is one of those books I've never gotten around to reading, but I remember reading about recoloring issues - is this a good edition to buy? Seems like a great deal.

Judging by the preview images for the first ish, you're good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 24, 2016

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Jedi posted:

I always wondered how publishers whose lines are heavily creator owned handle stuff like this.

I can tell you that at least one very large such publisher is set up such that each creator has to sign off on individual titles in any deals like this. Which is really great for the creators because they have control, but less so for us because signing up a publisher like that is really like signing up a couple dozen publishers who each only publish one or two titles.

On a related note, following these conversations on Twitter today is really making me glad we led with an ad supported model instead of subscriptions. We had planned to add a subscription plan in the future, but man are people upset about it today. Since we're currently ad only, we have a pretty high payout per page (really high, actually) vs. everyone splitting some guy's six bucks. We had a ton of conversations about this when trying to come up with a price. What we keep coming back to is that the kind of reader who is willing to pay a monthly fee to read comic books is probably the kind of reader who reads a ton of comic books, so a price that's fair to everyone and make everyone happy would be fairly high.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

zoux posted:

I have given this a whirl the last couple of days and it works worse than the Marvel Unlimited website for searching. When you click on a title and it synces up, the issues are typically out of order and you have to figure out which links led where. I think the best use of this would be some sperg going through and syncing everything up and clicking every link to see what books are on MU, but not listed. There are a few like the last 10 issues of Priests Black Panther.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Uthor posted:

comiXology Unlimted!

This is cool so far. Lots of indies and comics I would never be able to read without this unlimited option. It will be interesting to see if they add books or if it just stays like this. Although the mobile app is terrible for reading the comic.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Honestly if you like what comixology unlimited has, check out your library's hoopla collection. I live in a poor rear end county and my library has a better selection than comixology unlimited. All of the walking dead, and hellboy, and lumberjanes, and saga, and tons of other stuff. And none of this first volume only poo poo either. Also, tons of DC (mostly new 52 and then anything batman and or superman)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

Honestly if you like what comixology unlimited has, check out your library's hoopla collection. I live in a poor rear end county and my library has a better selection than comixology unlimited. All of the walking dead, and hellboy, and lumberjanes, and saga, and tons of other stuff. And none of this first volume only poo poo either. Also, tons of DC (mostly new 52 and then anything batman and or superman)

Mine has a ton of manga, but very little DC and Marvel. Almost no indies.

Edit: I misread this. Will have to check out hoopla.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 25, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Weirdly enough I live in NYC and it looks like we don't have Hoopla service anywhere

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

My library says you can check out six per month, dunno if everywhere has a limit like that, but that's way too low for me.

I mean it's free so why am I bitching, I'll look into it more, but I'd rather be able to pay 6 or 10 or whatever price to read however much I wanted.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

zoux posted:

My library says you can check out six per month, dunno if everywhere has a limit like that, but that's way too low for me.

I mean it's free so why am I bitching, I'll look into it more, but I'd rather be able to pay 6 or 10 or whatever price to read however much I wanted.

Oh wow, my limit is 20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Uthor posted:

comiXology Unlimted!

The phone app for comixology is much easier to search for unlimited comics. It is a mystery as to why. You have "borrow" 50 different items at a time.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been talking up Hoopla for months now. It is awesome. Again, it doesn't have any Marvel or Fantagraphics, but I've read lots of DC, Image, Valiant, Dark Horse, IDW, and Boom books, and I even got to watch The Long Goodbye, a movie I had wanted to see for years but was never streaming or showing anywhere. My local library system imposes a limit of six checkouts per month, but combined with physical books I check out and the very few I purchase, I haven't been longing for more. It's definitely a better system with a much wider selection than Comixology's new thing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So is this Star Wars single issue sale a permanent one on Comixology? They been in the sales page for a month I think.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The comixolgy ceo says the only first volumes in unlimited is on purpose to drive sales. gently caress that poo poo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

The comixolgy ceo says the only first volumes in unlimited is on purpose to drive sales. gently caress that poo poo.

Oh cool. Will only need the service for the first free month.

Man that is too bad. Modern Archie comics are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

Which is kind of dumb because even Prime Video doesn't do that. You'll get up to maybe the previous season of a show, and then, sure, they'll offer a season pass if you wanna catch up right away. (They got like £25 from my mum from that, because she NEEDED to see Suits season 5 right away)