Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

When does GSF move back to Syndicate and rent the top 3 belts from Tolon?

Having been there for the last time we were in Syndicate (and after the last giant welp) hopefully never.

Edit: any interesting alliance updates lately? Since I no longer have goonfleet.com access :ohdear:

Edit edit: is 'The Imperium'/the CFC now completely gone with the FCON reset? It's just GSF on its lonesome now, right?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I am so sorry if you are in or were in Band of Brothers. :(

I try to be unbiased. Is the books author from an alliance that was at war with Band of Brothers? Maybe it is the way he is writing it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also I am reading about the redswarm alliance right now!

I didn't realise The Mittani, Darius Johnson and Vile Rat were there at the beginning! Even more so that Mittani's name is still used. Thats ten years of gaming!!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

VideoGames posted:

I try to be unbiased. Is the books author from an alliance that was at war with Band of Brothers? Maybe it is the way he is writing it.

I wasn't playing at the time BoB was still a thing, but even before I joined EVE online, I had heard of them and how lovely they were.
Don't feel bad.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Also I am reading about the redswarm alliance right now!

I didn't realise The Mittani, Darius Johnson and Vile Rat were there at the beginning! Even more so that Mittani's name is still used. Thats ten years of gaming!!

Quite a few people have been around for that long, not just the Big Names. I started playing in about 2006/2007 myself.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Libluini posted:

Some neat pictures from W-Space:

I'd like to get in on this

jita

what's better than a falcon

five falcons

zoom zoom
can't wait to see what the next Flycatcher looks like, it looks amazing already.

these are all my characters, I staged this pic

"show us the rat who shot you."

image edit I did: "EVE: the facebook game"

image edit of my characters as the girls from MGS

they've had boob reductions since

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

VideoGames posted:

It makes sense that CCP would have to be in Alliances to learn about how their game is being played but I feel like the way Band of Brothers was conducting themselves with how arrogant and rude that they could easily have tried to get CCP member to disrupt the Ascent Alliance guy to make him lose his Titan.

I am trying not to be prejudice against Band of Brothers but they sound like bullies and I do not like bullies.

I'm not sure if being in an alliance was actually anything to do with work. I'm prepared to be corrected by people who have the facts, but I always understood it was just some guys who wanted to play the spaceship game they happened to be working on. One of those guys ended up using their dev powers when they shouldn't have.

Now they aren't allowed to announce that they're CCP employees. I'm not sure if CCP has ever deliberately had their guys play the game for the purposes of development. Many of their design decisions seem to get made in a vacuum. There's a reason the oft touted battlecry on the forums is "My God :ccp: do you even play your own game!?"

They're getting better, and they tend to make better decisions when they ask for player feedback because sometimes its better to ask the tens of thousands of goblins how we're going to break whatever it is they're planning before they actually release it live on the server. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't and they have to be shown the hard way.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

frozenpussy posted:

image edit I did: "EVE: the facebook game"

Don't give :ccp: bad ideas.

Facebook feed: I need 5 more Tritanium to make my spaceship, can someone send me some?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
What the actual heck is this?! One of the ccp employees in Band of Brothers was cheating?? See I knew there was something to my gut feeling! That goes against the whole of CCPs desire to have the game run itself!

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
[no explanation]

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

No stop, please think of the children.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

feedmegin posted:

Having been there for the last time we were in Syndicate (and after the last giant welp) hopefully never.

Edit: any interesting alliance updates lately? Since I no longer have goonfleet.com access :ohdear:

Edit edit: is 'The Imperium'/the CFC now completely gone with the FCON reset? It's just GSF on its lonesome now, right?

No, GSF are still allied with TNT, Exe, Lawn and Bastion; Init and Razor are also still blue and at least nominally in the Imperium; and GSF are (I believe) still blue with SMA.

For a long time this site was good at showing the balance of bloc membership - http://rischwa.net/coalitions/ - but he has rather jumped the gun in removing Init/Razor formally from the Imperium, which should actually still be at about 25k alliance members. It's super-odd because he left in Init's hanger-on alliances.

As an illustration of how radically things have change, at the start of the year the Imperium stood at 38% of that chart, with a non-invasion pact with the DRF which stood at about 23% at that point, for a total of 61% of all nullsec bloc members. People like me stroked our chins and pontificated gravely that this made the Imperium's position unassailable.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh wow the luck at the battle with Lotka Volterra with being able to get all the ships into position and then log off. Good grief I am biting my nails!

harlyq
May 9, 2014

The taint is real

frozenpussy posted:

[no explanation]

My eyes they burn why frozenpussy why!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

harlyq posted:

Just :lol: if you haven't furiously masturbated to the 3 breasted prostitute in total recall.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I feel a bit bad for Lotka Volterra. It wasn't their fault the server crashed before the JV1V-0 battle. I wonder how different things would have been.

Actually I really wonder how things would have been if they'd just paid that hacker guy!

So sad that Reikoku cheated their stuff into the game. I had been rooting for them all this time. :(

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

VideoGames posted:

I feel a bit bad for Lotka Volterra. It wasn't their fault the server crashed before the JV1V-0 battle. I wonder how different things would have been.

Actually I really wonder how things would have been if they'd just paid that hacker guy!

So sad that Reikoku cheated their stuff into the game. I had been rooting for them all this time. :(

There has been many battles in EVE that were decided by servers crashing or players disconnecting.
Its not a bug, its a feature.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

VideoGames posted:

What the actual heck is this?! One of the ccp employees in Band of Brothers was cheating?? See I knew there was something to my gut feeling! That goes against the whole of CCPs desire to have the game run itself!

CCP devs were heavily invested into their own game with the older devs being weird try hard Icelandic spergs. Due to the highly competitive nature of eve its hard for the devs to play eve enough to fully understand it yet at the same time remain 100% impartial. I lot of ships in balance passes in eve have in my opinion been the result of some CCP devs thinking small gang pvp to be the true merit of skill. Specifically the Orthrus is some sort of wet dream fozzie had where he solos frigate fleets.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 24, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

VideoGames posted:

Oh wow the luck at the battle with Lotka Volterra with being able to get all the ships into position and then log off. Good grief I am biting my nails!

Lotka Volterra was my first war, I was a confused newbie bumbling around Scalding Pass in a kestrel and not knowing what the gently caress whilst exploding alot.

I had some old Remedial/Mittani State Of The Goonion recordings from this time which I'm not sure are on our wiki or anywhere else public but the mp3 player I stored them on has died in a fire :saddowns:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
The server problems aren't unique to EVE, but what is unique about EVE is how it is written (stackless Python). A lot of game mechanic changes are influenced by a desire to reduce server load.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

harlyq posted:

because I post an EVE screenshot like everyone else and no one bats an eye. I post something edited and unique and people take notice! Of the pics I've posted, only the triple rep capsuleer and the EVE Facebook Game were quoted.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Obscurity sucks!

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Eccentrica Gallumbits was funny in H2G2 but turn her into an Eve character and everyone loses their minds.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

frozenpussy posted:

Obscurity sucks!

mlyp

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

frozenpussy posted:

because I post an EVE screenshot like everyone else and no one bats an eye. I post something edited and unique and people take notice! Of the pics I've posted, only the triple rep capsuleer and the EVE Facebook Game were quoted.

To be fair, I quoted both of those.
So in a way, it doesn't count.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

My Little Pony... I can't figure out the "Y"

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Reverand maynard posted:

CCP devs were heavily invested into their own game with the older devs being weird try hard Icelandic spergs.

CCP were going through an awkward transition period from 'small group of vikings working on crazy internet game hobby project that might go nowhere' to 'large serious business company that employs a shitload of people and has real world responsibilities' and the T20 thing was a good example of what happens when you fail to adapt accordingly. T20 was treating Eve like he was the admin on a counterstrike server spawning AWPs for his buddies and it didn't really matter, so when a whole load of people stood up and said 'uhh what the loving hell is this' and CCP's name was suddenly being dragged through the mud in the gaming press they were completely blindsided by it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

frozenpussy posted:

My Little Pony... I can't figure out the "Y"

My little younger Pony?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

VideoGames posted:

JV1V was always going to be a shitshow of servers catching fire given the hardware and code Eve was running on back then compared to now, everyone knew going in that the main fight would be to connect to the game.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dalael posted:

My little younger Pony?

yiffing. It's always yiffing with ponies. :cripes:

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Carth Dookie posted:

yiffing. It's always yiffing with ponies. :cripes:

no clopping tia

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Can we get a furry expert to explain these terms?

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Drythe posted:

Can we get a furry expert to explain these terms?

I'm not sure Blawrf posts here any more.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dalael posted:

You're making me want to buy that book.

the book is good

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VideoGames posted:

goonswarm propaganda was so good that now anytime anyone wants to insult an alliance they call them the new bob

even alliances with bob's former corps do it :xd:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endie posted:

no clopping tia

I remember when I first googled what clopping was. That was the exact moment that I realized, no matter how dark and disgusting you think the Internet can get - it will continue to unpleasantly surprise you at just how much more weird and creepy the possibilities are.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

vyst posted:

I remember when I first googled what clopping was. That was the exact moment that I realized, no matter how dark and disgusting you think the Internet can get - it will continue to unpleasantly surprise you at just how much more weird and creepy the possibilities are.

well, not the exact moment, you had to wait until your refractory period

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

vyst posted:

I was going to google this word once i caught up with the thread.
Now I'm not sure I want to. :ohdear:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

VideoGames posted:

Oh my word I have arrived at the chapter on goons!!

The mascot is the fat bee and the battlecry "we're terrible at this game!"

I am terrible at this game! I am most certainly a goon :D

A young man's voyage of self-discovery ends in tragedy. Film at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Reverand maynard posted:

CCP devs were heavily invested into their own game with the older devs being weird try hard Icelandic spergs. Due to the highly competitive nature of eve its hard for the devs to play eve enough to fully understand it yet at the same time remain 100% impartial. I lot of ships in balance passes in eve have in my opinion been the result of some CCP devs thinking small gang pvp to be the true merit of skill. Specifically the Orthrus is some sort of wet dream fozzie had where he solos frigate fleets.

I'd say there's way too much balance being done with this in mind, or Capital Ships Online. Battleships especially feel in a lousy place right now. And yeah, the T20 era was terrible, and was pretty much the instigator for the CSM and internal affairs being formed. In fact, I'm curious, does the internal affairs department still exist at CCP?

• Locked thread