Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

al-azad posted:

You should read I Am Legend, everyone should read I Am Legend.

I did. I actually meant that interpreting stuff like Dark Souls that may have some horror themes as that is incredibly stupid. Dark Souls might have tense atmosphere but it's not horror by any stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I have never been less scared playing a video game then my playthrough of Outlast. I have absolutely no idea what people see in that game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
That Welcome to the Game game looks pretty interesting. I like how you defend yourself from the kidnapper in the gooniest way possible, by shutting off all the lights in your house and sitting at your computer desk, just pretending not to be home

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

That Welcome to the Game game looks pretty interesting. I like how you defend yourself from the kidnapper in the gooniest way possible, by shutting off all the lights in your house and sitting at your computer desk, just pretending not to be home

What exactly are you supposed to do in that game though? It looked neat from the vid harshlycritical did but I don't really understand what was going on that was causing the kidnapper to show up or what he was supposed to do to progress

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

prahanormal posted:

I have never been less scared playing a video game then my playthrough of Outlast. I have absolutely no idea what people see in that game.

Really?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Imo the first ~hour of Outlast is really, REALLY solid; then you notice things like how you can outrun all the enemies and how quickly your health regens even if they do catch up to you and the whole thing kinda falls apart. I quit playing around the Doctor Scissorman bit just due to how nonthreatening all the enemies felt by that point.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 24, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FirstAidKite posted:

What exactly are you supposed to do in that game though? It looked neat from the vid harshlycritical did but I don't really understand what was going on that was causing the kidnapper to show up or what he was supposed to do to progress

Not a clue. You can hear bumps in your house periodically and your windows seem to randomly open and close when you're not looking but I have no idea when the kidnapper starts coming for you in relation to those events

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The thing that makes Outlast such a weak horror game in my opinion is that you only ever do two things in it. You're either running away from enemies or finding x amount of items to open the way to progress. The only way the game ever mixes this up is by having you do both at the same time (which is really obnoxious). There's nothing less scary than a horror game that has shown its entire hand already and for Outlast that moment comes about an hour in.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

CharlestonJew posted:

Not a clue. You can hear bumps in your house periodically and your windows seem to randomly open and close when you're not looking but I have no idea when the kidnapper starts coming for you in relation to those events

I would guess that the kidnapper would figure out where you are when you get hacked, but HarshlyCritical seemed to win the hacking minigame each time, so I'm not sure exactly what the gameplay mechanic there was. He skipped the tutorial but I'd have liked to see it.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
It doesn't help that the enemy AI in Outlast is dumb as hell (when it's not just being run-of-the-mill glitchy.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lat4rTq5iR4&t=67s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWJzD2rLqiE&t=50s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb1kZPaBLO0&t=29s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Outlast scared me, but I am easily bothered by being chased

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Outlast runs out of tricks early on, which is a shame because I really liked the mechanic of pointing your camera at stuff and seeing notes saying what your otherwise silent protagonist is thinking.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There needs to be more horror adventure games because the genre lends well to building atmosphere and tension without having something jump out at you every minute.

Like Scratches is the gold standard for this, atmosphere-wise.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

There needs to be more horror adventure games because the genre lends well to building atmosphere and tension without having something jump out at you every minute.

Like Scratches is the gold standard for this, atmosphere-wise.

Stasis was a pretty decent horror adventure game. *Great* sound design, and most of the puzzles made sense (with the exception of one where you have to mash up a bunch of gore using an empty pistol as a meat tenderizer)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked the playthrough of outlast and outlast whistleblower that I watched harshlycritical do, and I thought it was an entertaining game. I mean, even amnesia did the same thing where it relied on trying to make the player feel unsafe even if they are safe and hoping you'll spend more time running from the stalkers so that you won't notice how their AI is pretty basic

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I'll be interested to see if Routine makes a good horror adventure, if it ever comes out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Accordion Man posted:

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines did it well when it came to the Ocean House.
When I played that for the first time I needed to remind myself that I was playing as a superhuman bloodsucking undead monster and on the spooky things hierarchy of this worlds ghosts were only slightly above boggards and gnomes probably right between zombies and kelpies. It didn't help, was still spooked.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 24, 2016

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

JordanKai posted:

The thing that makes Outlast such a weak horror game in my opinion is that you only ever do two things in it. You're either running away from enemies or finding x amount of items to open the way to progress. The only way the game ever mixes this up is by having you do both at the same time (which is really obnoxious). There's nothing less scary than a horror game that has shown its entire hand already and for Outlast that moment comes about an hour in.

An hour is being extremely generous. I'm marginally sympathetic to arguments that it's hard for something to be scary when shooting it in the face is an effective solution, but there are an astonishing number of developers who decided to remove that option and replace it with absolutely nothing. Just strip as much interaction as you can out of the game and maybe that will somehow make things more frightening.

Apparently it works for some people, but it just bores me to death.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Outlast is basically a weak slasher film as a video game. Slasher films aren't really scary but there's lots of violence and gore and nudity. They can be fun to watch sometimes but they're not scary at all.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I dunno, Outlast scared the poo poo out of me.

Maybe it was just pushing all the right buttons for me, but I thought the setting was great, the camcorder mechanic was great, the sense of helplessness had me perpetually on the edge of my seat, all around I had a great time with Outlast and it was goddamn scary.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Outlast is a good game but I guess I'm not a super brave big man like most people in this thread

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Speedball posted:

*Great* sound design...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4jPlIHew7M

Also, forget playing the Outlast main game. Play Outlast: Whistleblower instead. You aren't really missing out on anything, it's a shorter experience and has some much, much stronger moments.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 24, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

....Okay, clearly I needed to throw in a few qualifiers there....

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oldpainless posted:

Outlast is a good game but I guess I'm not a super brave big man like most people in this thread

it's not a well designed game which is somewhat separate from being scary or not. and asylums are the most played out horror location next to summer camps.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not a well designed game which is somewhat separate from being scary or not. and asylums are the most played out horror location next to summer camps.
In movies, sure, but I can't think of many good recent horror games that really nailed that setting like Outlast did.

Like Dementium: The Ward did kinda, The Suffering had an asylum level (and was one of the best levels in that game), if we go back further there's Sanitarium I guess? Didn't parts of Eternal Darkness and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth happen in an asylum?

Batman: Arkham Asylum too I guess, but that's not horror :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dear Sony: port Until Dawn to PC so more scrubs can enjoy it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Xenomrph posted:

The Suffering had an asylum level (and was one of the best levels in that game)

For being what it was, The Suffering had some really cool designs and ideas throughout it.

"Eugh it has a bunch of needles in it's bac- OH IT HAS SYRINGES FOR EYES :gonk:"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Yardbomb posted:

For being what it was, The Suffering had some really cool designs and ideas throughout it.
I've said it before, The Suffering is a lot better than one would think at first glance.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Accordion Man posted:

I've said it before, The Suffering is a lot better than one would think at first glance.

Then they made the suffering 2. :negative:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

Then they made the suffering 2. :negative:
Please don't remind me.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
When I played outlast I felt like the developers were standing behind me constantly going "wow, pretty shocking and edgy right? We're pretty hardcore and messed up to put this stuff in. Aren't you shocked? Just screamed "TRYING TOO HARD".

Being kinda lovely and repetitive didn't help. By the second half of the game being spotted just made me sigh and want to just reload the checkpoint, not be scared like I should be.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Accordion Man posted:

The Suffering is awesome, definitely one of my favorite Xbox games. The voice acting is awesome, the setting is really well realized, the monster design is clever, and the backstory bits you can unlock are really cool. The "twist" that you're not actually transforming into a monster, you just think you are was great, too.
I even enjoyed the sequel, although not as much. It's been forever since I played those games, I should fire them up again.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

One of my favorite silly bits for The Suffering though was that I first played it with a pre-release demo that came in some gaming mag or another, buttttt the demo version since anyone could conceivably just swipe the disc from the mag, had the crazy swearing in Torque's prison admittance scene censored with cable TV level beeps. I tried to find it just now but couldn't manage with a quick look on youtube, but christ that sure was a thing when every other couples words were beeped from those death row dudes talking mad poo poo to each other.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

The Suffering is awesome, definitely one of my favorite Xbox games. The voice acting is awesome, the setting is really well realized, the monster design is clever, and the backstory bits you can unlock are really cool. The "twist" that you're not actually transforming into a monster, you just think you are was great, too.
I even enjoyed the sequel, although not as much. It's been forever since I played those games, I should fire them up again.

I would have enjoyed the sequal as well, but the ps2 version had a gnarly crashing bug that came up way too often.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Spalec posted:

When I played outlast I felt like the developers were standing behind me constantly going "wow, pretty shocking and edgy right? We're pretty hardcore and messed up to put this stuff in. Aren't you shocked? Just screamed "TRYING TOO HARD".

Being kinda lovely and repetitive didn't help. By the second half of the game being spotted just made me sigh and want to just reload the checkpoint, not be scared like I should be.

Outlast was decently suspenseful but what completely took me out of it was the whole The Groom section. Outlast hit a nerve with body horror in the first game, and then said "how can we turn this up to 11". I'm worried Outlast 2 is going to do the same trope and find a way to be even more totally extreme gross-out hardcore.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Suffering and Shadowman both deserved better sequels. They were okay I guess.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think it's okay to say there's a bit in Outlast where a crazy tries to cut your genitals off with a table saw so he can gently caress the wound.

I don't know. I really thought Outlast was trying Too Hard in a lot of ways. You know what didn't have any attempted genital mutilation? Alien Isolation. :colbert:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

I think it's okay to say there's a bit in Outlast where a crazy tries to cut your genitals off with a table saw so he can gently caress the wound.

I don't know. I really thought Outlast was trying Too Hard in a lot of ways. You know what didn't have any attempted genital mutilation? Alien Isolation. :colbert:

Ehhhh, it's cool they flipped the script and threatened the sexual mutilation of the male protagonist. One mans 'too hard' is anothers 'about time'.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I didn't feel like it tried to hard or anything, it was just like "Oh, here we go, is this The Outlast Thing now, where each game has, to have one of Those Scenes?" Though I take that back slightly, I did feel like The Groom's dialogue in those scenes were really odd, every line had to be as dramatic as possible. There's three scenes it cuts to and then the one with you, and each one has sort of over-delivered dialogue from him. THAT part felt forced, but the content itself was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Ehhhh, it's cool they flipped the script and threatened the sexual mutilation of the male protagonist. One mans 'too hard' is anothers 'about time'.

It felt really edgy and very vaguely homophobic IMHO