Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That is some baller art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Terese Nielsen Control Magic

Art is amazing but gently caress them for making it rare. This is a feelbad open.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Art is amazing but gently caress them for making it rare. This is a feelbad open.

But the limited format! Think about the people who pay 30+ dollars to draft a set!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

It's a quintessential Cube card, and it'll look amazing in foil.
Feel bads at rare, but imagine the guy who opens two of these in draft, how does he lose?

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Entomb not posted yet:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I want to play with Nimble Mongoose in Pauper even though it's probably not really any good anywhere.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I want to play with Nimble Mongoose in Pauper even though it's probably not really any good anywhere.

RUG delver is basically a pauper deck anyway, who needs goyf or FoW

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Not as feel bad as Worldgorger Dragon

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's some dope art in this set. Also where was Worldgorger Dragon revealed so I can laugh at it?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

RubberJohnny posted:

Entomb not posted yet:

Love the art, dig the Innistrad flavor text. I would swap out my old Entombs for these if I still had/played a deck with them, and I think it's the first old-frame-to-new-frame swap I'd consider making. (New Force of Will is really close, but as much as I like the new art, the old art is just so iconic. If they both had new frames I'd take the new art, though.)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Elyv posted:

It's true

Young Peezy is not comparable to Bob or Tiago

they're way better

People were saying the exact opposite when Cruise was still legal and Delver was the best deck in every format :v:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

C-Euro posted:

There's some dope art in this set. Also where was Worldgorger Dragon revealed so I can laugh at it?

Yeah, some of the art in this set is really great, but some of it is also the kind of bad you can usually find only in these reprint sets. Diminishing Returns and Daze are horrible, and Nimble Mongoose is also very plastic looking.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
I don't know the originals but I am in love with the new art for Entomb and Control Magic. Entomb is gorgeous and I love zombie stuff in MTG.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol at so many mythics being vintage only cards, and not even the expensive ones. also lol at anyone who was planning on giving wizards money for this

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Lol why is Control Magic in this set?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
reminder that despite wizard's colossal greed and/or incompetence, reprints of actual in-demand cards still occur. please consult your friendly local chinese online marketplace for details

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No seriously, what do people want at mythic? Imperial Recruiter is a) way less "mythic" feeling if you're going by that and b) in desperate need of getting some real copies out since it was only in one very obscure set. so it should be at rare. Would you really rather they put Imperial Recruiter at mythic to avoid ~feelbads~ but still leave that cards with basically zero supply?

The answer is that everyone's going to make the exact opposite argument when they spoil a good mythic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

little munchkin posted:

reminder that despite wizard's colossal greed and/or incompetence, reprints of actual in-demand cards still occur. please consult your friendly local chinese online marketplace for details

Those can't pass for real cards.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

No seriously, what do people want at mythic? Imperial Recruiter is a) way less "mythic" feeling if you're going by that and b) in desperate need of getting some real copies out since it was only in one very obscure set. so it should be at rare. Would you really rather they put Imperial Recruiter at mythic to avoid ~feelbads~ but still leave that cards with basically zero supply?

The answer is that everyone's going to make the exact opposite argument when they spoil a good mythic.

Recruiter at mythic is dumb, mythic is basically loving dumb. gently caress world gorger and also lol at control magic, beautiful art, but not 10 bucks beautiful.

I'm liking this set but I doubt I will open many packs of any.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It would be interesting to see what Recruiter at Rare would do to the price...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

That pass for real cards every major tournament.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Recruiter at mythic is dumb, mythic is basically loving dumb. gently caress world gorger and also lol at control magic, beautiful art, but not 10 bucks beautiful.

I'm liking this set but I doubt I will open many packs of any.

Mythic is fine, gently caress everyone whining about Nope being in EMA

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

I actually saw some friday at FNM that the feel was REALLY good. The color was off, they were Onslaught flooded strands. The texture thickness etc. was really really nice, but the "white" on the text box fading into blue was mustard yellow. Only a few other small details, the onslaught symbol was out of proportion, it had a stretched look to it like it was to tall and skinny, but hard to notice at a glance. If the color/shading was a bit better these would be impossible to spot without a detailed inspection/comparison.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

That pass for real cards every major tournament.

I ordered a few for the gently caress of it and they are so easy to tell. They might pass if you aren't looking closely but I'm really not worried about buying or trading for a fake as a real card anymore.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

I ordered a few for the gently caress of it and they are so easy to tell. They might pass if you aren't looking closely but I'm really not worried about buying or trading for a fake as a real card anymore.

I've seen 3 different sets of fakes in my local shop. 2 different versions ordered from aliexpress vendors that had different levels of cardstock, ink, etc. and the playset of flooded strands someone wound up with from a tcgplayer vendor that did not pass any real card tests. Quality varies, what you ordered isn't the only stuff around.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Literally The Worst posted:

Mythic is fine, gently caress everyone whining about Nope being in EMA

Mythic is a bad rarity that causes tons of issues for actual players but it achieved its goal of selling more boosters quite admirably

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah I posted a while back about the fake Sol Ring that absolutely passed nearly every test I threw at it. I had to be told it was a fake to start checking poo poo I'd normally never bother checking.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Worldgorger Dragon is $2.80 TCG Mid. Imperial Recruiter is $315. I hope this answers your question.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Mythic is a bad rarity that causes tons of issues for actual players but it achieved its goal of selling more boosters quite admirably

Nah

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Has anyone found fakes that pass the blacklight test yet?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The March Hare posted:

Has anyone found fakes that pass the blacklight test yet?

Most of the blue core ones do - beyond the fact that many real cards don't pass that test because different print runs of old cards look vastly different under black light

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Let me rephrase. As a player the only good thing Mythic does is make certain bombs less likely to appear in draft. It also leads to insanely expensive decks in every format so I mean it's a trade off.

Here's a fake card chat question. If you're in a tournament and a player accuses you of playing fake cards, what happens next? Assuming they are not very blatant counterfeits what can/will judges do? Will they start manhandling your cards? Are they even qualified as experts to authenticity? I guess I just don't see a way to weed good counterfeit cards from play.

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 24, 2016

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

80s James Hetfield posted:

Good draft card

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Worldgorger Dragon is $2.80 TCG Mid. Imperial Recruiter is $315. I hope this answers your question.
Yes so in other words Imperial Recruiter really needs to be a rare while Worldgorger Dragon does not.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
Also it'll be the first foil version of Control Magic printed

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's a super popular cube card that I think only appeared as a foil in a promo edition

e; it was mind control actually

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 24, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yes so in other words Imperial Recruiter really needs to be a rare while Worldgorger Dragon does not.

Imperial Recruiter needs to be "basic land" or perhaps "dfc" actually.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

WotC for some reason is loving terrified of upsetting the secondary market. If Recruiter is in the set I'd bet money it's a Mythic because their "draft purity" for some reason only extends as far as not pissing off speculators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Mythic is a strange beast, because if WotC put expensive cards in at mythic, people will complain because the price will still remain high. On the other hand, if they put cheap cards at mythic, people will also complain. To me it seems better if more expensive cards are at rare instead of mythic, seeing how you have a much smaller chance of opening a mythic.

• Locked thread