Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Aphrodite posted:

Actually you probably can't get much more than $80 for a Wii U.

A friend of mine just sold his Japanese Wii U for over $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

Nail Rat posted:

It was okay. FO4 is just bad.

It was the biggest gaming disappointment for me in a long long time. I put hours and hours into FO3 and New Vegas and bought 4 for €70 (!!) just so I could play it. I think I put in three or four hours and was just bored out of my mind. I also couldn't get over how bad the performance was for a ps4 title that looked like a game from 2010

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Nah, FO3 was good.

What.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If that's so Bethesda is all B-team because it was exactly the same as all their post Morrowind stuff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Great that makes no sense now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fallout 4 is much better than fallout 3 or new vegas as a game (new vegas is written better because obsidian tho), but it is very much the same thing. they refined what was there instead of changing things up so it feels like they haven't made any progress since skyrim whatsoever. it's not a bad game but it is very dated and that is disappointing

tho anyone that thinks fallout 4 doesn't look better than those older games hasn't actually seen them in years because lol yes it does

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Takoluka posted:

A friend of mine just sold his Japanese Wii U for over $200.

Why? A new one is regularly $150.

Nail Rat posted:

I'm sure it only accounts for like half the difference at best, but with PS4 and the Bone, publishers need to pay a licensing fee to Sony and MS for each game disc, so there's that I suppose.

Overwatch isn't arbitrarily more expensive on console or anything. It's just that the only version on console is the $60 edition with extra skins and items for other Blizzard games.

On PC there's a $40 no extras version.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Where are you finding Wii U for 150?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My friend just got a ps4 and I'd like to get her either PS Now or PS Plus. Is either one especially better?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

They aren't even that cheap from the refrubished Nintendo site.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snowy posted:

My friend just got a ps4 and I'd like to get her either PS Now or PS Plus. Is either one especially better?

ps+ is required for online play and you get a selection of free games every month that you can play so long as you've added them to your account and are a ps+ member

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

Snowy posted:

If she wants to play anything online you'll need to get her PS+
The free games it gives you on PS4 aren't super good from what I've seen...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oops. $250.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If she wants to play anything online you'll need to get her PS+
The free games it gives you on PS4 aren't super good from what I've seen...

She thought it seemed like the games were better on ps now, but maybe I'll just start with ps plus for the online access.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Oops. $250.

:arghfist: You had me excited for a minute.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manatee Cannon posted:

fallout 4 is much better than fallout 3 or new vegas as a game (new vegas is written better because obsidian tho), but it is very much the same thing. they refined what was there instead of changing things up so it feels like they haven't made any progress since skyrim whatsoever. it's not a bad game but it is very dated and that is disappointing

tho anyone that thinks fallout 4 doesn't look better than those older games hasn't actually seen them in years because lol yes it does

Some of the companions are good, too and the faces are actually..pretty alright, which is shocking for a BethSoft game.

I guess Skyrim's weren't terrible at the time but hell did Oblivion and FO3 have some nasty butterface going on.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Aphrodite posted:

Oops. $250.

Japanese consoles have a bit of a premium because to get one from Japan would probably add another 50 bucks in shipping. The guy who sold his japanese wiiu got over 200 probably paid for shipping in the United States so the other guy got a good deal.

Wiiu is region locked btw. I dunno what japanese games would be worth playing though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snowy posted:

She thought it seemed like the games were better on ps now, but maybe I'll just start with ps plus for the online access.

They're totally different services. PS Plus allows online play for current-generation games and a freebie or two every month. PS Now allows all-you-can-eat access to PS3 games. It's not *wrong* to not get Plus, but it will diminish the value of many current-gen games if you can't use their online modes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

blackguy32 posted:

I actually loved the supernatural stuff from the previous games because it kept me wondering what it was going to be each time. By comparison, I found Uncharted 4's reveals to be really boring.

They really did crib from Indiana Jones with that stuff without it being TOO kooky, except for UC3 which was just stupid. The twist in UC1 was pretty awesome and a great change of pace, I thought, but then again I'm one of those weirdos that genuinely enjoyed UC1 and think it still holds up next to 2... overall the story for 1 was tighter (albeit more cliche) than 2, even though 2 basically upped the ante with gameplay and insane setpieces.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Fuzz posted:

They really did crib from Indiana Jones with that stuff without it being TOO kooky, except for UC3 which was just stupid. The twist in UC1 was pretty awesome and a great change of pace, I thought, but then again I'm one of those weirdos that genuinely enjoyed UC1 and think it still holds up next to 2... overall the story for 1 was tighter (albeit more cliche) than 2, even though 2 basically upped the ante with gameplay and insane setpieces.

You are not alone. I really like UC1 as well. I was sad that they got rid of the Brutal combo

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

The weapon crafting system in FO4 is my favorite of any kind. I can make a weapon perfectly for me and just use it for the entire game. In contrast, I'm playing Witcher 3 again right now though and holy poo poo everything about its inventory and crafting everything is awful always. They fixed a million things about the game in patches pre-release but inventory and crafting is apparently hopeless.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 24, 2016

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The weapon crafting system in 4 is my favorite of any kind. In contrast, I'm playing Witcher 3 again right now though and holy poo poo everything about its inventory and crafting everything is awful always. They fixed a million things about the game in patches pre-release but inventory and crafting is apparently hopeless.

Apparently they're going to be introducing a bunch of UI fixes and such to Witcher 3 in the next expansion, coming out in a week or so, so it's still possible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crappy Jack posted:

Apparently they're going to be introducing a bunch of UI fixes and such to Witcher 3 in the next expansion, coming out in a week or so, so it's still possible.
Whoa, are you serious? I guess I should set the game down a bit until that happens, even though starting again I'm way too low level for either of the expansions yet anyway.

edit: but then, I don't know if these devs even know what a good inventory and crafting interface looks like, much less how to make one, so I don't hold much hope of anything awesome in that area next week.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Aphrodite posted:

I just paid $200 for a 32GB from Craigslist (with Mario Kart 8 and an extra controller) and I'd been scoping out deals on there for months and hadn't seen one better than that. I feel like even GameStop would give you more than $80 for one.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Whoa, are you serious? I guess I should set the game down a bit until that happens, even though starting again I'm way too low level for either of the expansions yet anyway.

edit: but then, I don't know if these devs even know what a good inventory and crafting interface looks like, much less how to make one, so I don't hold much hope of anything awesome in that area next week.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/05/10/the-witcher-3-blood-wine-hands-on/

There's screenshots posted here, looks like they'll be doing things like splitting up weapons and armor in your inventory, making things a bit more readable, that sort of thing. Whether it actually works in practice, I guess we'll just have to see.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Snowy posted:

If you get PS Now make sure you have decent wifi. All of the games are streamed, there's no downloading, so a slow connection will have lots of lag spikes or will just outright kick you out of the game with about 20 seconds warning. I have two roommates and encounter this a lot if they're both in their rooms watching Netflix or whatever.

That said, selection is decent. My girlfriend is not a gamer but has found a lot of stuff she likes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

LoG posted:

:arghfist: You had me excited for a minute.
When the NX is officially announced, its price will plummet.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ratbert90 posted:

Nah, FO3 was good.

There's literally nothing in F3 that's better than F4 other than possibly "I played this one first so I like it more." I went back to it a few months ago and F3 is definitely worse than you remember.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

blackguy32 posted:

You are not alone. I really like UC1 as well. I was sad that they got rid of the Brutal combo

I know, right?! I missed the option for a slightly trickier to time combo that could reward me with more ammo, especially when you were playing on the harder difficulties and ammo is scarce as gently caress.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Wolfsheim posted:

There's literally nothing in F3 that's better than F4 other than possibly "I played this one first so I like it more." I went back to it a few months ago and F3 is definitely worse than you remember.

I personally think it was better for the time. Like a lot of old FPSes are objectively terrible nowadays, but they were good for the time, and there are a lot of poo poo games that come out now that would have been considered incredible twenty years ago, not just for graphics but also gameplay.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Wolfsheim posted:

Maybe if you like the D.C area. But ultimately I agree. I think I would hold Fallout 3 a lot more favorably compared to 4 if they had gotten rid of 90 percent of all the subways you are forced to travel through in it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crappy Jack posted:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/05/10/the-witcher-3-blood-wine-hands-on/

There's screenshots posted here, looks like they'll be doing things like splitting up weapons and armor in your inventory, making things a bit more readable, that sort of thing. Whether it actually works in practice, I guess we'll just have to see.
That all looks pretty good. What I really want though is the weapon and armor craft system to be basically completely different than it is and focused only around crafting things that you could possibly need at that time, not a million recipes for armor and weapons all 20 levels too high or too low.

edit: on my current run there's no way I will waste money buying diagrams for weapons and armor, 95% of the ones in my last playthrough I never ended up using and I never knew which ones I would ever have the components to make before they were outmoded.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 24, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Incorrect!

While it isn't as great as in New Vegas, FO3 had actual options to solve quests that made use of your skills and abilities and dialogue choices that did more than "give me caps." There's like all of one quest in FO4 that does that and it stands out because it is the ONLY ONE that allows you to do that.

FO4 massively toned back options to quests that weren't 'shoot the guy" and is worse for it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You can get more than that for the gamepad alone without the console. I'm thinking his friend either needed a little patience or some better researching skills (or they don't care about walking away with $80 when they could get twice that).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fallout 3 was good for its time. Fallout 4 is okay for its time.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Fallout 4 is better at being Far Cry than Fallout 3/New Vegas were at being Far Cry. It's also worse at being Fallout while still not really that good at being Far Cry.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Having options other than CHA checks was nice for one thing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fallout 4 was fun, Fallout 3 was not. New Vegas was just right.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mr E posted:

Having options other than CHA checks was nice for one thing.

To be fair there are maybe a dozen cases of non-speech checks in the game, and really you shouldn't have even bothered when most of those checks look like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Some of the companions are good, too and the faces are actually..pretty alright, which is shocking for a BethSoft game.

I guess Skyrim's weren't terrible at the time but hell did Oblivion and FO3 have some nasty butterface going on.

it's been so long that I guess people have forgotten, but oblivion was loving gorgeous for the time. looks bad now but it set a high standard for its day. the people have always looked weird tho for sure

• Locked thread