Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

my heart goes out to anyone who's really into a moba. we'll get through this

I don't think I'll ever really understand MOBAs. I tried. I've got friends who are super into LoL and one friend who's super into Dota 2 and all of them have tried to explain why they play but they also never actually sound like they're having any fun.

I think I can understand the appeal of the sort of fast-forwarded character building you get in a MOBA match, how you level up and build your character/equipment as you go and start again in the next match. I'm actually disappointed that Battleborn sucks because I was curious to see if that could work for co-op as well as competitive multiplayer, sort of like a microcosm of the MMO experience, but apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I am sorry you feel that way, friend. Personally I really enjoy dungeon fighter online and yeah it's the exception and not the rule but I think it would still be just as fun if it were something I had to pay for.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to say that your opinion is wrong or anything, I think you are entitled to your own view even if I don't agree with it 100%

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The majority of games are created to make money.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I am sorry you feel that way, friend. Personally I really enjoy dungeon fighter online and yeah it's the exception and not the rule but I think it would still be just as fun if it were something I had to pay for.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to say that your opinion is wrong or anything, I think you are entitled to your own view even if I don't agree with it 100%

No arguing or anything here haha. I've enjoyed F2P myself in certain instances, but generally I would just prefer the classic model.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paladinus posted:

The majority of games are created to make money.

Every piece of media is but there are still shades to it, it's not black and white.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
ok I just didn't want people to think I was trying to be a dick or anything :( I'm just bored and like to talk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

ok I just didn't want people to think I was trying to be a dick or anything :( I'm just bored and like to talk

I like to troll people online.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really like the idea of a MOBA, but I want one that has a fixed, small roster. For me, a big barrier to access is that that there are SO MANY characters that all have unique abilities you have to understand to be any good. When I tried to play LoL, it worked really hard learning how to play my characters well, but it wasn't even close to enough to be decent, because any time I was up against an enemy I wasn't familiar with, I'd just get clowned.

If there was a MOBA that had like, 24 characters instead of 120, and they never added more, I'd be all about that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snak posted:

I really like the idea of a MOBA, but I want one that has a fixed, small roster. For me, a big barrier to access is that that there are SO MANY characters that all have unique abilities you have to understand to be any good. When I tried to play LoL, it worked really hard learning how to play my characters well, but it wasn't even close to enough to be decent, because any time I was up against an enemy I wasn't familiar with, I'd just get clowned.

If there was a MOBA that had like, 24 characters instead of 120, and they never added more, I'd be all about that.

95% of LoL games have the same 30 or so champions. You just need to get far enough in the game to actually see meta in action, as opposed to people just picking whatever champion and going wherever lane. Imo, when people pick the same champions all the time, it's actually less fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In theory, games like Battleborn or Smite should appeal to me, because I'm definitely interested in the idea of a MOBA but I don't really like the moment-to-moment gameplay of the traditional, descended-from-RTS ones. But I dunno, Smite didn't really click either, so I'm pretty sure it's just down to the whole lanes and creep waves and all that kind of stuff being multiplayer mechanics I can't really care too much about.

I wish Battleborn had turned out better just because I'm so curious what a MOBA-like game that's PvE would be like, but maybe it turns out "just ok at best."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

95% of LoL games have the same 30 or so champions. You just need to get far enough in the game to actually see meta in action, as opposed to people just picking whatever champion and going wherever lane. Imo, when people pick the same champions all the time, it's actually less fun.

Yes, but if someone is using someone outside of these 30 champions, it's probably because that champion has some dumb gimmick, which if I'm not familiar with, I'm gonna get clowned by it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snak posted:

Yes, but if someone is using someone outside of these 30 champions, it's probably because that champion has some dumb gimmick, which if I'm not familiar with, I'm gonna get clowned by it.

Sometimes it's fun to get brutally owned by something you didn't expect. When I play with friends, games that we horribly lose are often more entertaining than the ones we win.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Battleborn has a roster of 25, it looks like.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Sometimes it's fun to get brutally owned by something you didn't expect. When I play with friends, games that we horribly lose are often more entertaining than the ones we win.

yeah, but if you don't have any friends, it's not really fun at all. It doesn't matter, I'm never going back to that toxic bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People who expect you to stick to "the meta" or else they will whine and complain or even worse report you are the worst people that play video games

I do not want somebody to tell me to kill myself for picking a character they don't want in a game that has 500 characters

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All you had to do was follow the drat meta, CJ

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:eyepop: I walked right into that one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My landlord is showing my place four times today. So at least seven times this week.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My roommate who said he absolutely wouldn't buy Overwatch because they gave more beta keys to streamers rather than "normal" people bought the game yesterday. Life is great.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snak posted:

yeah, but if you don't have any friends, it's not really fun at all. It doesn't matter, I'm never going back to that toxic bullshit.

Oh sure, playing MOBAs alone sucks. I wouldn't recommend anyone to do that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

My roommate who said he absolutely wouldn't buy Overwatch because they gave more beta keys to streamers rather than "normal" people bought the game yesterday. Life is great.

That's awesome.

And I forgot that they called already this morning to say there's another showing this afternoon. So five showings today. gently caress my life.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

In theory, games like Battleborn or Smite should appeal to me, because I'm definitely interested in the idea of a MOBA but I don't really like the moment-to-moment gameplay of the traditional, descended-from-RTS ones. But I dunno, Smite didn't really click either, so I'm pretty sure it's just down to the whole lanes and creep waves and all that kind of stuff being multiplayer mechanics I can't really care too much about.

I wish Battleborn had turned out better just because I'm so curious what a MOBA-like game that's PvE would be like, but maybe it turns out "just ok at best."

yeah i just can't get into the whole genre for a bunch of reasons. i really feel like im missing something

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was very into LoL for a period of a couple of years. Ultimately, it's an extremely toxic experience and the format of the game inherently breeds annoyance and anger (because if you're losing you'd better buckle in to continue losing for the next hour). That said, the reason I kept playing is because when you are having a great game and your entire team is meshing really well together it feels really loving good. Since one individual kill in the early game can lead to a snowball effect you can pretty easily turn into a terrifying murder-beast by halfway through.

tl;dr: really high highs, really low lows. But not even close to being worth the investment of time and mental well-being.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mr E posted:

Modern Warfare 2 Boycott.jpg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PantsBandit posted:

Ultimately, it's an extremely toxic experience and the format of the game inherently breeds annoyance and anger (because if you're losing you'd better buckle in to continue losing for the next hour).

Even in spite of the community, this is why I'm not a huge fan of mobas. If you start losing, it's unreasonably hard to turn the tables, especially in League of Legends. I don't think I've played a moba that didn't end up being balanced around one team steamrolling the other.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mr E posted:

boycottmodernwarfare2.jpg

Snak posted:

That's awesome.

And I forgot that they called already this morning to say there's another showing this afternoon. So five showings today. gently caress my life.

Keep everything nice and tidy for the first few showings then slowly start letting everything get more ragged then on the last one just go full on goon cave and act totally surprised when they walk in on you in your Cheeto stained underwear clutching your dakimakura pillow.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wamdoodle posted:

Keep everything nice and tidy for the first few showings then slowly start letting everything get more ragged then on the last one just go full on goon cave and act totally surprised when they walk in on you in your Cheeto stained underwear clutching your dakimakura pillow.

Edit: gently caress beaten on the boycott.jpg

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snak posted:

That's awesome.

Embed yourself in an elaborate foam-rubber structure designed to look like you've fused with the living room wall to form a Cronenbergian hybrid of human and apartment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I don't think I'll ever really understand MOBAs. I tried. I've got friends who are super into LoL and one friend who's super into Dota 2 and all of them have tried to explain why they play but they also never actually sound like they're having any fun.

I think I can understand the appeal of the sort of fast-forwarded character building you get in a MOBA match, how you level up and build your character/equipment as you go and start again in the next match. I'm actually disappointed that Battleborn sucks because I was curious to see if that could work for co-op as well as competitive multiplayer, sort of like a microcosm of the MMO experience, but apparently not.

MOBAs are basically counterstrike with RPG elements tacked on. They're hyper competitive; that's really all you need to understand. (And that's why they're ultimately not fun)

Mr E posted:

Call of duty boycott group .jpg

Wamdoodle posted:

drat

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Even if they did give out keys to streamers, that happens to most video games with reviewers and even the lower feeding chain ladder rungs like popular youtubers so it's like who cares

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am so loving surprised that a game company would favor people who have the ability to show the game to thousands of people before its release. This is a loving outrage. I won't be parting with my money for this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Part of what kills MOBAs for me is the whole laning phase thing, where you're basically just in a stand-off with someone from the other team while you both grind NPCs. Well, you're sort of grinding NPCs at each other. I can't wrap my brain around wanting to play a game mode where "grind faceless NPCs for a while" is an expected and important part of a competitive multiplayer match.

I get that there's more to it than that, but at the core you're mostly competing to see who can grind more NPCs before starting to push on each others' bases, right?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

That logic also doesn't quite follow when they had a massive free beta before launch.

"These people got to play the game for free before I got to play the game for free" :cry:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PantsBandit posted:

That logic also doesn't quite follow when they had a massive free beta before launch.

"These people got to play the game for free before I got to play the game for free" :cry:

I'm amazed that anyone can still be surprised at how whiny and entitled gamers can be.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

Part of what kills MOBAs for me is the whole laning phase thing, where you're basically just in a stand-off with someone from the other team while you both grind NPCs. Well, you're sort of grinding NPCs at each other. I can't wrap my brain around wanting to play a game mode where "grind faceless NPCs for a while" is an expected and important part of a competitive multiplayer match.

I get that there's more to it than that, but at the core you're mostly competing to see who can grind more NPCs before starting to push on each others' bases, right?

Eh, I wouldn't really say that. Even in the early laning phase you need to be extremely aware of what's going on. Like I mentioned earlier, early-game kills are huge. The guy you're laning against is going to be constantly watching for you to over-extend. Not to mention the fact that 90% of the time each team will have a "jungle" player who roams the map looking for opportunities to ambush during the laning phase.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I can see how there's tension in there and the possibility for surprise. I'm oversimplifying it I'm sure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I can see how there's tension in there and the possibility for surprise. I'm oversimplifying it I'm sure.

It's what turns me off to the games too. It's a multiplayer competitive game where 90% of the time you're not even fighting each other, you're fighting the computer to prevent the other team from having bigger numbers. It's a bafflingly complicated and annoying design and I will never understand why MOBAs became so impossibly huge

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paladinus posted:

Hello.

My friends and I are getting tired of LoL and looking into playing some sort of FPS together. Right now we're choosing between Overwatch and Battleborn. Any advice that is not this?

if we are going by steriotype, he wouldnt be a fedora dude then. He would be some dude with rainbow hair and a lovely beard and a "dad bod" and he would be into self flagellation because of his "sins" of existing. he is the nu nice guy

Mr E posted:

he is a fool. its a great game. its fun and fast.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Every time somebody tries to explain what a MOBA is to me it just goes in one ear and out the other. I've looked up what the hell they are several times now and always forget, and MOBA is probably the least descriptive genre in an industry that legit uses terms like roguelike and metroidvania. And I'm not talking about whatever acronym MOBA stands for because I never remember that either.

Cue a dozen people deciding to now tell me what they are again before I forget this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if we are going by steriotype, he wouldnt be a fedora dude then. He would be some dude with rainbow hair and a lovely beard and a "dad bod" and he would be into self flagellation because of his "sins" of existing. he is the nu nice guy

yeah he would be this stereotype no one's ever heard of

• Locked thread