Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

"You know, a lot of people go to college for seven nine years."
"Yeah, they're called doctors."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I found it really funny in an earlier post when the narrator asked ‘What is this story missing?’ and Bast said ‘Women!’ It seemed so close to a moment of self-awareness (up to that point it seemed like the story pretty-much had an all-male cast) yet so very far, since Kvothe starts talking about how he had been dancing around the issue of *the* perfect, bestest woman ever and her timeless beauty or somesuch.

Then a little later we get introduced to the Manic Pixie Dream Girl character too. Ugh.

Hate Fibration posted:

Hooooooleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee poo poo.

I have an aunt who did that. Supposedly she kept changing majors because she just didn’t want to leave college. Come to think of it she’s also super-pretentious and fancies herself a writer. Hmm.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Tell her to do a kickstarter

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hate Fibration posted:

Hooooooleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee poo poo.
I wonder if he went part-time or something. That makes no sense if he was a full-time student.

Edit: I guess that would even be a long time for a part-time student.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 22, 2016

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wonder if he went part-time or something. That makes no sense if he was a full-time student.

Edit: I guess that would even be a long time for a part-time student.

Apparently he was working three jobs and very poor. So it actually does make sense.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you cannot understand why I couldn’t shut up about Rothfuss's personal life, then I doubt you have ever been truly poor.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That's not even the good UW campus.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think the plagiarism is worse honestly

Calling the 'two ships passing in the night' bit plagiarism is pedantic even for you. The phrase and variants have entered common parlance to the point that I'd imagine most people have no idea they have a literary source.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

Calling the 'two ships passing in the night' bit plagiarism is pedantic even for you. The phrase and variants have entered common parlance to the point that I'd imagine most people have no idea they have a literary source.

At the same time, presenting a well known idiom as some sort of poetic fantasy reference is terrible and should have been beaten out of him within a month of undergrad.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's almost as bad as that sci-fi cliché where you name two well known scientists and then a third made up one to give it credence. Like, "If we can get this defractualizer working using only a remains of our Phantom Drive then we'll go down in history like Einstein, Hawking, and Merzneroff....creator of the Phantom Drive!"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Its really cheap world building that i think is usually found in lower tier trash or like 40k novels. Even 40k novels have the good decency to refernce the original authors though.

Whenever i see that in a fantasy novel though i think of what the famous mage pe'pepor said "feels bad man"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

Rothfuss worked as a professor of English.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

How many more years of school did that take?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'm not saying he's ignorant of the source. I'm saying that it's not plagiarism, except maybe in the absolute most insufferably pedantic sense. If you don't like the 'fantasy-world attribution of real-world things' trope (if it can even be called that), that's one thing. However, it's not plagiarism if I write a book with the phrase "My kingdom for a horse" in it and don't cite it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I was actually discussing these books with some friends last weekend and brought up your critical reviews to them BotL. Who knows, maybe they'll join the forums and join in the conversation because one is sort of in my boat where we knew they weren't that great but enjoyed them just enough to finish it and the other is basically jivjov who has already thrown down a bunch of money to get a tak board and instructions and defends to the death Slow Regard. And I think we need another jivjov so he's not so lonely.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

We already have too many Jivjovs!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So we have once again established that Rothfuss is an unimaginative writer.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to go ahead and say that I probably have to cancel the chapter-by-chapter review of Wise Man's Fear. I'm already exhausting topics on NotW, and WMF is just the same, but worse. So there's no point to it. It looks like a summary will have to do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Awwww, seems fair though. You could break it into huge chunks too. Like a separate review of school, sex ninjas, sex fairy, help king get sex, and forest thieves sections.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's not even the good UW campus.

A few of my friends went to Point. I think the phrase "vaguely literate" is what I would use to describe most of the people I met when I visited.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If Rothfuss isn't ignorant of the source of the "ships in the night" bit, I'll be surprised. It doesn't even mean what he thinks it means:

Longfellow posted:

Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing,
Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness;
So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another,
Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.

The ships in the poem specifically notice one another, they just don't get a very good look and keep moving. It's particularly dumb/bad because in context he's jerking off Kvothe and Denna for knowing this obscure piece of writing unlike those other ignorant plebs while Rothfuss himself appears to think it's just some fancy-sounding idiom

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
And in common usage it means to bone, so it's especially weird how it's used in the books.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ChickenWing posted:

Yes.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

At the same time, presenting a well known idiom as some sort of poetic fantasy reference is terrible and should have been beaten out of him within a month of undergrad.

And yes.

Jesus, I skip this thread for a couple months and people are honestly claiming that "two ships passing in the night" isn't common idiom? Rothfuss better publish Book 3 soon so we have something legitimate to poo poo on. (On which to poo poo?)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"mdemone" posted:

Jesus, I skip this thread for a couple months and people are honestly claiming that "two ships passing in the night" isn't common idiom? Rothfuss better publish Book 3 soon so we have something legitimate to poo poo on. (On which to poo poo?)

With which on something legitimate we poo poo.

A poo poo in three parts.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

With which on something legitimate we poo poo.

A poo poo in three parts.

It's really lovely. I mean, aesthetically. I just hate looking at it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm going to go ahead and say that I probably have to cancel the chapter-by-chapter review of Wise Man's Fear. I'm already exhausting topics on NotW, and WMF is just the same, but worse. So there's no point to it. It looks like a summary will have to do.

To be honest, I don't think the chapter by chapter approach is the best to take with this series. Too many of the books' main problems lie in the narrative as a whole rather than on a specific page. There is an absence of theme, an absence of deeper characterization, an absence of progression, an absence of arc, an absence of a reason to care... but like the third silence, none of these absences can explicitly pointed out in any given place. Some of the critical reviews of chapters are little more than chapter summaries, and that's because there's just nothing to say about them. They're not offensively bad, they're just... there. They fill pages as Kvothe continues to spin his wheels at the University. I think some of the weaker criticisms, like the misattribution of ships passing in the night, are a result of trying to find something to say about yet another chapter whose main crime is its own existence. Even shouting at the book to do something would grow repetitive over the course of two thousand pages.

It seems like a better use of time to speak of the book's overall structure, and zoom in on some chapters of particular interest (like The Scene In Which Kvothe-The-Thief Poisons Several People For The Crime Of Stealing A Beer, Then Gently Caresses The Cheek Of A Child Sex Slave Against Her Protestations, Then Is Proved To Be Correct In The Infallible Purity Of His Race), but gently caress, nobody wants to go through the nothing-happens-in-the-forest section one chapter at a time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That's the other reason, but then again I really did want to be exhaustive. I'm going to finish NotW at least like this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We're only like halfway through right? We still have like another quarter of the book before he leaves the University to do anything even close to main plot progression....and then it's a chapter about buying a horse.

I kinda like that bit to be honest

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

That's the other reason, but then again I really did want to be exhaustive. I'm going to finish NotW at least like this.

http://www.tor.com/series/patrick-rothfuss-reread/

I'd be curious to get your thoughts on this.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Only gave it a quick glance, but to me it reads like a 7 year old telling a story. All the details, none of the point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's a pretty lovely "in depth look." May as well be a synopsis with "I think it's cute/endearing" inserted randomly. Actually, that's pretty much what it is.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That's alright. Someone else has already done one..

Much like the source material, at some point the act of reading it became painful and unsavory, but I was compelled to finish it due to some twisted combination of OCD and masochism.

MasOCDism.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

Much like the source material, at some point the act of reading it became painful and unsavory, but I was compelled to finish it due to some twisted combination of OCD and masochism.

MasOCDism.

Hammer Bro. posted:

MasOCDism.

I've read your Harry Dresden Let's Reads (at least a few of them) and all I can say is thank you! That's a hell of a back catalogue you've built up.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sweet. I didn't know I wrote those, and I haven't read the books yet, but I do repeatedly get asked if I'm dressing as the guy so now I can easily digest some backstory.

Actually my roommate's tearing through his Codex Alera, which I read when it was newer. They were decent books, in a nothing-special kind of way. Predictable but fun but not terribly interested in rereading.

I suspect I'm going to rely on summary and spoilers if a third Kingkiller book ever comes out. I just don't have the time for that many words anymore, even if they happen (entirely theoretical) to be good words. Probably the same with the next GRRM book.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Sweet. I didn't know I wrote those, and I haven't read the books yet, but I do repeatedly get asked if I'm dressing as the guy so now I can easily digest some backstory.

Actually my roommate's tearing through his Codex Alera, which I read when it was newer. They were decent books, in a nothing-special kind of way. Predictable but fun but not terribly interested in rereading.

I suspect I'm going to rely on summary and spoilers if a third Kingkiller book ever comes out. I just don't have the time for that many words anymore, even if they happen (entirely theoretical) to be good words. Probably the same with the next GRRM book.

Codex Alera are pretty bad. I thought the newer Butcher series was going to be decent, but no, it's pretty bad too. Just action scene after action scene and every character and world building potential wasted.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

BananaNutkins posted:

Codex Alera are pretty bad. I thought the newer Butcher series was going to be decent, but no, it's pretty bad too. Just action scene after action scene and every character and world building potential wasted.
There was at least one good Codex Alera book. And at the very least Tavi and generic airship captain dude aren't fedora tipping neckbearded Nice Guys like Harry Dresden was.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Mars4523 posted:

There was at least one good Codex Alera book. And at the very least Tavi and generic airship captain dude aren't fedora tipping neckbearded Nice Guys like Harry Dresden was.

Right, but Dresden is self-aware, at least in the later books. And humor goes a long way in absolving the sin of badly cloning Raymond Chandler.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I think it's a fair enough split between the two, honestly. There's only, like, 8 people that post in this thread, and I think 2 or 3 of them are fans.

I'm a pessimistic fan who embraces the good and the bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Thoren posted:

I'm a pessimistic fan who embraces the good and the bad.

I will honestly enjoy reading the next book on so many levels. No upcoming fantasy can compete with the meta hate game that Doors of Stone has going for it, except maybe the Trump presidency.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 27, 2016

• Locked thread