Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

CJacobs posted:

I was vastly unprepared for that exit door room :eyepop:

Just be thankful I didn't put archviles in there like I originally planned. :colbert:

Thanks for checking out my lovely map, I really appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
All this new map hype is getting me antsy to fire up new Doom Builder and give this level editing thing a whirl!

GZDoom Builder is way easier than when I last used it. Dynamic grids, stair generation, even door automation makes everything such a breeze to work with.

Though I might have to change the level design a bit if we already got a sludge factory covered. Or I could just call mine a vomit processing plant or something instead, or change it to demonblood.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Castor Poe posted:

Just be thankful I didn't put archviles in there like I originally planned. :colbert:

Thanks for checking out my lovely map, I really appreciate it!

I like your pillars, they have much more creative use of textures than mine do. :v:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Be prepared. As soon as I finish up the map I'm working on now, I'll be throwing the WAD at this thread instead of a video. It'll be fun being able to get feedback from people who haven't seen the level already. I should (hopefully) have it done this weekend. It's going to end up being a pretty decent sized map.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Castor Poe posted:

I finished my first Doom map! :yotj:

It's a simple tech base level with hidden Nazis and some cacodemons:
https://jumpshare.com/v/PmX9StjhXCxKhKdwX4Xt

Really fun map! The tight level design, monster closets and shitload of cacos kept it tense the whole time.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I should make a CHUMP map. I mean, if someone can submit a Marathon map I can totally get away with a Chex map right? Assuming I can get gzdoom builder to stop spewing errors about it anyway.

CJacobs posted:

I was definitely hedging on it! This is eventually going to be a full-length campaign so I don't wanna blow my "here's some new equipment and a bunch of things to kill with it" load too early. I'll think about it some more.

You can always set it to be there only on ITYTD/HNTR. It might mess up the next level a bit, but giving newbies a tool better-suited to challenges can be a difficulty assist thing?

Keiya fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 24, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I know everyone played through DUMP2 already and it's old hat but HOLY poo poo is Price of Failure a phenomenal loving map, jesus christ

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Dumb question: How do I set up the map exit in GZDoom? I set the linedef with an 'End Normal' action, and set it to activate when the player presses the use button, but when I try to use it, nothing happens. Is there something else I need to set? I'm using the DOOM 2 UDMF config, though I don't know what that affects.

EDIT: Never mind, figured out the problem. It looks like the switch has to be on the middle wall, not the upper or lower wall, else it doesn't work.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 24, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

Be prepared. As soon as I finish up the map I'm working on now, I'll be throwing the WAD at this thread instead of a video. It'll be fun being able to get feedback from people who haven't seen the level already. I should (hopefully) have it done this weekend. It's going to end up being a pretty decent sized map.

This is my plan as well. Might not be this weekend though, we'll have to see.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Going off topic for just a bit, I found this and holy balls how is this so good.

I mean, it's literally just a motorcycle course but just look at how fluid that can be, speedrun or otherwise.

On topic, I think I found the old pk3 AEoD used for music.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Duke mods are totally on topic.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Castor Poe posted:

I finished my first Doom map! :yotj:

It's a simple tech base level with hidden Nazis and some cacodemons:
https://jumpshare.com/v/PmX9StjhXCxKhKdwX4Xt

I had fun playing this. Good use of colored lighting! Here are a few kinks that might need ironing out:
  • Blinking lights in the small room to the right of the start are not syncronized between sectors, but you probably already know this.
  • For some reason at least two of the cacos behind the large door just before the exit can spot and attack you if you enter the little nook holding the medkit above the slime pit.
  • Aforementioned slime pit doesn't hurt you. Maybe this is intentional, but the medkit nook does have a damaging floor.
  • The back of the yellow door has a lower texture. When the door opens it raises a brick wall that can be seen if you look out of the room.
  • Minor, but the teleporter leading to the Secret Nazi Room doesn't work if you walk on it from the right side. I only discovered that when using GZDoom builder to find out how to open the door, heh.

Don't have any thoughts on the overall gameplay design because it's pretty solid. I think the secret SSG obscured by corpses is brilliant. One thing though: make a way to get out of that pit near the exit if you fall in. Don't make inescapable pits :argh:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Finally getting around to playing Valiant, Mancubian Candidate was a cool idea for a map. I also appreciate the pistol not being a useless hunk of garbage.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Once you get past the hordes of mosquitoes and robofrogs Daikatana isn't that bad. I mean, the weapons suck (the first weapon you get fires ricochet shots that tend to hurt you more than the enemies and the shotgun fires 5 rounds in succession each time you press fire), but you can kiiiinda see what they were going for. If this had actually come out around '97 (admittedly in a post release fan patch 1.3 state) it'd be well-regarded.

I do love how the fan patch gives you the option to turn off the buggy sidekicks, but then pleads with you that they've fixed them up and to give them a shot.

(They're now upgraded from 'broken' to 'semi-broken').

Also, hearing this just made me want to quit and play some more Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM6ppxZByEQ&t=37s

Next - to Ancient Greece!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

widespread posted:

Going off topic for just a bit, I found this and holy balls how is this so good.

I mean, it's literally just a motorcycle course but just look at how fluid that can be, speedrun or otherwise.

On topic, I think I found the old pk3 AEoD used for music.

It's totally on topic, talk about all the old FPS :allears:

I love that Doom mapping is having a mild resurgence in this thread. I used to do a lot of Hammer stuff for Quake and Half Life 1/2, so I might try the GZDoom builder stuff. Is that quite similar to Hammer in any way?

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Daikatana is more enjoyable with sidekicks, even unpatched. They are funny and useful, and add a level of depth to the game, it's almost like a lightweight party RPG. Their brokenness is exaggerated, HL's NPCs for example can barely follow at all and there are some spots where you have to lead them to a door or a lock. No one ever complains about that.

Guns are also good. Every episode has its own set of weapons so they couldn't just give you a reskinned shotgun every time, plus everyone was bored with id style guns then. And there is a normal shotgun later on.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Once you get past the hordes of mosquitoes and robofrogs Daikatana isn't that bad. I mean, the weapons suck (the first weapon you get fires ricochet shots that tend to hurt you more than the enemies and the shotgun fires 5 rounds in succession each time you press fire), but you can kiiiinda see what they were going for. If this had actually come out around '97 (admittedly in a post release fan patch 1.3 state) it'd be well-regarded.

That shotgun baffles me. Why does it fire 5 times. What's the point. Was it supposed to be an alt-fire mode?

The patch I'd like to see for Daikatana - usable weapons.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is that quite similar to Hammer in any way?

Way the gently caress easier.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
First DK shotgun fires five times because you're supposed to switch targets while firing I think. There's lots of opportunities to use it this way in the episode and it feels great when you take out three or more guys with one burst. I could see this being a problem if there weren't enough ammo for it, but there is. Pretty sure you can go through most of the episode with just the shotgun and the rocket launcher. Episode 1 is the hardest which is odd of course, but very little of it is the bad kind of hard, unlike again HL which constantly teleports enemies behind you. Hitting small targets isn't hard if you can aim, turrets are easily defeated by shooting the little box they're connected to and so on.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I love that Doom mapping is having a mild resurgence in this thread. I used to do a lot of Hammer stuff for Quake and Half Life 1/2, so I might try the GZDoom builder stuff. Is that quite similar to Hammer in any way?
Doom mapping is a lot simpler conceptually. Instead of laying down three-dimensional brushes, you're drawing shapes on a 2D grid, then switching to a 3D view to apply textures, adjust floor/ceiling heights and generally make things look nice.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Some valuable lessons I just learned:
Save often.
Think long and hard before tacking a complex sector onto your map.
Save often.

I attempted to add a cave maze onto my map and the nodebuilder crapped out when I went to save it. Luckily I only lost one other room, but man that could have ended a whole lot worse.

Ninja edit because phones and autocorrect are stupid.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

CJacobs posted:

I like your pillars, they have much more creative use of textures than mine do. :v:

Douk Douk posted:

Really fun map! The tight level design, monster closets and shitload of cacos kept it tense the whole time.

:tipshat:

Mak0rz posted:

I had fun playing this. Good use of colored lighting! Here are a few kinks that might need ironing out:
  • Blinking lights in the small room to the right of the start are not syncronized between sectors, but you probably already know this.
  • For some reason at least two of the cacos behind the large door just before the exit can spot and attack you if you enter the little nook holding the medkit above the slime pit.
  • Aforementioned slime pit doesn't hurt you. Maybe this is intentional, but the medkit nook does have a damaging floor.
  • The back of the yellow door has a lower texture. When the door opens it raises a brick wall that can be seen if you look out of the room.
  • Minor, but the teleporter leading to the Secret Nazi Room doesn't work if you walk on it from the right side. I only discovered that when using GZDoom builder to find out how to open the door, heh.

Don't have any thoughts on the overall gameplay design because it's pretty solid. I think the secret SSG obscured by corpses is brilliant. One thing though: make a way to get out of that pit near the exit if you fall in. Don't make inescapable pits :argh:

Thanks for your in dept review (and keep eye), this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for!

I was able to fix all of these issues with the exception of the teleporter - I tagged and retagged to no avail, went "gently caress it" and repositioned the pillars to make it impossible to walk on it from either side.

Here's an updated version:
https://jumpshare.com/v/oC9RmAKE3PIR7ivmoLgr

I've made a few cosmetic changes and added a couple of things, including a new secret and a super obvious clue for how to go back in time and murder all the Nazis with a rocket launcher.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Doom mapping is a lot simpler conceptually. Instead of laying down three-dimensional brushes, you're drawing shapes on a 2D grid, then switching to a 3D view to apply textures, adjust floor/ceiling heights and generally make things look nice.

Where it gets more complicated is when you want to do the sort of architecture you'd find in a Quake map, instead of a purely orthogonal world of horizontal planes and vertical walls. (Though still less orthogonal than, like Wolf 3D where walls must always be aligned on the grid.) Because that's where you're going to need to use advanced port features and, despite how much GZDoom Builder tries to make it simple, you're still fighting against the format's design limitations.

For example let's look at this shot from Putrefier:

This is GZDoom, not Quake II, but it'd probably be easier to create that scene in Hammer.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Save often.
Save often.

I'd also suggest regularly making a backup copy of your map as it was on a certain day. Can be useful for when you find out that what you've been trying to do for the last few days is a dead end.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 24, 2016

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Just wondering but is Hexxen II any good?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Just wondering but is Hexxen II any good?

It's better than the original, for sure.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Jia posted:

I know everyone played through DUMP2 already and it's old hat but HOLY poo poo is Price of Failure a phenomenal loving map, jesus christ

Its not old hat and more people should play DUMP 2. :colbert: Also yes, Price of Failure is probably the map I'd give the first place to if someone put a gun to my head and demanded I give one of DUMP 2's maps the first place.

On that note, if anyone else here isn't planning to do some mapping for the upcoming DUMP 3, might I invite you to review them instead? More feedback for the mappers is good.

If you're thinking to yourself "but my words will be bad :smith:" Shut up and do it. The reader decides if its bad or not. :cheeky:

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I'll totally give feedback on The Third Dump. Make sure someone makes a level called Superstar's Bane that's nothing but chaingunners and closet archviles.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I feel I'm beginning to know the pain of Daikatana.

"Just climb the loving ladder Mikiko."

*presses "Come" button*

"I not do what you say Mister."

:mad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Save often.
Save often.

I attempted to add a cave maze onto my map and the nodebuilder crapped out when I went to save it. Luckily I only lost one other room, but man that could have ended a whole lot worse.

Ninja edit because phones and autocorrect are stupid.

Also: SAVE BACKUPS! If you've put serious work into a map, you should ideally rotate your saves rather than just hitting "save" each time. Every hour or so, do "save as" and name it map-03 or map-04 and on and on until its done.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I feel I'm beginning to know the pain of Daikatana.

"Just climb the loving ladder Mikiko."

*presses "Come" button*

"I not do what you say Mister."

:mad:

Just play co-op so you don't have to deal with AI

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 24, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I do love how the fan patch gives you the option to turn off the buggy sidekicks, but then pleads with you that they've fixed them up and to give them a shot.

(They're now upgraded from 'broken' to 'semi-broken').

Also, hearing this just made me want to quit and play some more Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM6ppxZByEQ&t=37s

Next - to Ancient Greece!

Disablign companions and leaving without your buddy Superfly is just not how the game was supposed to be played.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

loga mira posted:

First DK shotgun fires five times because you're supposed to switch targets while firing I think. There's lots of opportunities to use it this way in the episode and it feels great when you take out three or more guys with one burst. I could see this being a problem if there weren't enough ammo for it, but there is. Pretty sure you can go through most of the episode with just the shotgun and the rocket launcher. Episode 1 is the hardest which is odd of course, but very little of it is the bad kind of hard, unlike again HL which constantly teleports enemies behind you. Hitting small targets isn't hard if you can aim, turrets are easily defeated by shooting the little box they're connected to and so on.
Constantly teleports enemies behind you? Really? Did you play a different Half-Life than everybody else? I actually had to scroll up to confirm that you were indeed talking about Half-Life and not some other HL game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Castor Poe posted:

:tipshat:

Thanks for your in dept review (and keep eye), this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for!

I was able to fix all of these issues with the exception of the teleporter - I tagged and retagged to no avail, went "gently caress it" and repositioned the pillars to make it impossible to walk on it from either side.

Here's an updated version:
https://jumpshare.com/v/oC9RmAKE3PIR7ivmoLgr

I've made a few cosmetic changes and added a couple of things, including a new secret and a super obvious clue for how to go back in time and murder all the Nazis with a rocket launcher.

Hah, I love the Nazi Room hint! Now it's a dead giveaway, though, but that's good for a Map01 as it leads the player into what to expect when it comes to secret hunting if you plan to make more maps. I like the new secret with the partial invisibility powerup too. I'm not sure why you killed the secret sector holding the SSG, but in a way this is better because finding the weapon is its own reward.

The goo behind the grate on the medkit nook is still not solid wall. I can shoot the cacos behind it (though they don't seem to shoot back). It doesn't much matter though because they can't spot you unless shot and nobody is going to think of sending a bullet through the wall unless they're obsessive secret hunters.

Good map. I really like it!

ETA: I forgot to mention that I like that you added an escape to the pit (seriously guys do not make inescapable pits). However, using a small auto-elevator could still bite people in the rear end. The problem is that someone could cross the linedefs while falling, sending the elevator up and making the player wait for it to come back down before they can escape.

Whether you want to change it is up to you, because while inescapable pits are a bad idea, I do like the idea of having consequences for not watching where you step so long as the player is able to get out of the bind. This is a personal preference but for this kind of situation I think I would prefer allowing the player to manually activate the center bridge to lower it so they can step on it to get back up. While this is pretty much mechanically identical to waiting for your current auto-elevators to come back down, it does something magical: It allows the player to feel that they're still in control of their situation.

Lork posted:

Constantly teleports enemies behind you? Really? Did you play a different Half-Life than everybody else? I actually had to scroll up to confirm that you were indeed talking about Half-Life and not some other HL game.

HL does constantly teleport enemies, but the vast majority of them spawn in front of you. Did you play the game backwards, loga?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 24, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm not sure how much I can hold teleporting enemies against a game, given that Doom and Quake do it all the time as well and remain some of my favorite games of all time.

Then again, I hold it against Serious Sam's level design, what with how frequently it's using "grab item you need, get ambushed by teleporting swarm of enemies", so I'm being somewhat hypocritical.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Serious Sam is awesome but it gets a whole lot better once you start suspiciously eyeing every item pickup that's sitting off in a corner by its lonesome. A string of small items with a big item at the end? Definitely a trap. A single big item in the corner of a large square area? Definitely a trap. A +1 hp pickup that is completely innocuously sitting in the middle of a setpiece? Come on now.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How good is Black Mesa?

I haven't played the original Half Life in years, but I could definitely go for Valve-ey good times.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Finished TNT. Kind of mixed feelings about this one, there were some really good levels in there but there were also some really crappy ones too. Kind of a mixed bag overall and I'm not too sure how I feel about it. I don't regret playing it like I kind of do the Master Levels but a lot of the levels became obtuse or boring to navigate. And like 3 of them you can reach the exit really quickly and it seems the rest of the map is completely optional which strikes me as a little odd.

Next up, the infamous Plutonia. I've heard a lot about how much it loves Chaingunners and Revenants but is a good challenge despite that.

Narcissus1916 posted:

How good is Black Mesa?

I haven't played the original Half Life in years, but I could definitely go for Valve-ey good times.

I've only played the free mod version but while it was impressive, the Marine AI reaction times were way too precise considering I believe they have hitscan weapons. There was also a weird little quirk where you had to crouch jump for almost everything because your default jump was never enough to climb onto most ledges. Also, Xen isn't finished in the mod and nobody knows if or when Xen will be finished and some contents of levels were abbreviated quite a lot.

I hear the paid early access version fixes a lot of issues and has added some parts of Surface Tension back which was missing from the free mod. Just be aware that it may never be complete.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Narcissus1916 posted:

How good is Black Mesa?

It's good.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've only played the free mod version but while it was impressive, the Marine AI reaction times were way too precise considering I believe they have hitscan weapons. There was also a weird little quirk where you had to crouch jump for almost everything because your default jump was never enough to climb onto most ledges. Also, Xen isn't finished in the mod and nobody knows if or when Xen will be finished and some contents of levels were abbreviated quite a lot.

That was pretty much my experience as well. It's a shame because the marine-heavy levels were my favourite part of the original HL, but they're easily the low point of Black Mesa.

It's still worth playing once, though, if only because Blast Pit looks gorgeous.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Finished TNT. Kind of mixed feelings about this one, there were some really good levels in there but there were also some really crappy ones too. Kind of a mixed bag overall and I'm not too sure how I feel about it. I don't regret playing it like I kind of do the Master Levels but a lot of the levels became obtuse or boring to navigate. And like 3 of them you can reach the exit really quickly and it seems the rest of the map is completely optional which strikes me as a little odd.

Did any maps stand out as being particularly good/bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

KozmoNaut posted:

It's good.

I really don't have the energy to scream about how you're :wrong: but I'd advise anyone thinking about playing black mesa to check out the free mod and play around with that first to see if you like it.