Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Wrong the only good game is Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy parts 1 and 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The only good game is Chex Quest.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And this is what people have been losing their minds over for the past twenty years?

The combination of ridiculously overcomplicated plot and impenetrable translation had me convinced it was like the best story of all time in any media format when I was 11-12 and first played it, and I'm assuming it was a similar experience for people who are now adults and still hold it up to that level

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You nerds sure do love talking about your Jrpgs in the Idiots on Social Media thread.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Takoluka posted:

The only good game is Chex Quest Redneck Rampage.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Why is it called Final Fantasy if there are over 10 of them?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

zakharov posted:

Final Fantasy VII is good

In fact, the only good video games ever are Final Fantasies 7, 9, and 10.
how/why did you post the 6 upside-down like that

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Scratch Monkey posted:

Why is it called Final Fantasy if there are over 10 of them?

They thought the original would be the company's last game. It wasn't.

Grey Fox posted:

how/why did you post the 6 upside-down like that

FF6 isn't that great.

Folks, we've achieved the pinnacle of derails: Final Fantasy debate. Congrats to everyone.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

They thought the original would be the company's last game. It wasn't.

FF6 isn't that great.

Folks, we've achieved the pinnacle of derails: Final Fantasy debate. Congrats to everyone.

Oh someone will start talking about dark souls soon enough I'm sure

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So how do I take the screenshot of something bigger than my screen? There's a Tumblr post that would be really great here but it's too big.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Oh someone will start talking about dark souls soon enough I'm sure

So Kamoc posted his frustration on twitter with invasions when all he wanted to do was play some co-op with his girlfriend. In DS3 it prioritizes people with phantoms so if you're trying to co-op there's a good chance you'll be invaded a lot. Queue a bunch of people all jumping to the defense of DS3 and how he should just learn to play etc. The DS community is one big ol' IoSM.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

paradoxGentleman posted:

So how do I take the screenshot of something bigger than my screen? There's a Tumblr post that would be really great here but it's too big.

If it's a text post, quote it. Otherwise just take several screenshots.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Plom Bar posted:

Wrong the only good game is Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy parts 1 and 2
I think you'll find that Commander Keen 6 was one of the first computer games I ever played and is therefore the best of the series. :colbert:

paradoxGentleman posted:

Multiple screenshots and either post them in sequence or combine them into a single image.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

If it's a text post, quote it. Otherwise just take several screenshots.

This seems sensible, especially since it's a reblog chain.

quote:

Lord of the Rings was a movie in which the bad guys were depicted as subhuman monstrosities with dark skin and fuckung DREADLOCKS and people still unironically praise it as a fantasy classic and will scramble to justify it
I loving hate nerds

quote:

imagine being this miserable of a person

quote:

Who the gently caress even considers orcs the bad guys? They were more like annoying obstacles…

quote:

Well they were the main fighting force of the bad guys, their only advantage was in numbers though.
Really though there were the mountain men who came in and fought on Sauroman’s side when he told them they could have the land of Rohan, and the southern men who were of all types. Besides that most orcs were hairless or had little hair. The Uruks were bred with men.
And obviously those that had hair would eventually have dreads not like they ever washed or anything.

quote:

OP is a jackass. Are you serious? You give the perfect example of an ignorant rear end in a top hat who loves to play the race card for everything.
You hate nerds because somehow in your mind you convinced yourself that LOTR was somehow racist, when in reality you obviously just know nothing about it & just want a reason bitch & feel like a victim. Wtf.

quote:

I don’t remember orcs ever being written with dreadlocks nor have I seen them with dreads. Also there were pale orcs and most didn’t even seem to have more than a few tufts of hair. That’s because… They’re orcs. Not black people. loving dingbat. I guess gandalf is probably a white supremacist too?

quote:

I’d like to point out the main villain of both book and movie 2 was the whitest white wizard you could ever white
And the mouth of Sauron was white
And that nobody gives a poo poo because you have to be Tumblr levels of stupid to go look for racism in a fantasy world
you have to be Tumblr levels of stupid to go look for racism in a fantasy world

quote:

Hey, now, Fantasy Racism is a very real trope. But, yes, you have to be Tumblr levels of stupid to go look for real world racism in a fantasy world. I mean, we all know Dwarves and Elves hate each other for being Dwarves and Elves, but then we have this:

[set of gif of Gimli and Legolas going "I never fought I would fight side by side with an elf" "What about side by side with a friend?" "Aye, I could do that."]
So, like, to me, LoTR will always be a story about a bunch of people from different races getting together and getting poo poo done.

quote:

OP *sees a race of violent, dirty, ugly, stupid beasts* “Black people!…………….. how racist”

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I don't think it's that hot of a take to raise an eyebrow at the All-White Forces of Good battling the Dark Unwashed Hordes.

No, this doesn't mean Peter Jackson or JRR Tolkien are/were cross burners, but it's not bad to be attuned to this kind of thing.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Didn't Tolken base the orcs on the Mongols?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

If that person wants fantasy racism they should start with Narnia

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

paradoxGentleman posted:

This seems sensible, especially since it's a reblog chain.

The thing about debating racism in Tolkien is not that they are bad opinions, its that every single one of them was pretty worn out by the time usenet became popular in the 1990s. If people want to take it a step further, they can actually read Tolkien's personal writings where he talks about his dislike of imperialism and nazism and apartheid.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Whenever this discussion comes up there should be a poll for people who grew reading fantasy for whether or not they assumed swarthy meant untrustworthy.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

zakharov posted:

I don't think it's that hot of a take to raise an eyebrow at the All-White Forces of Good battling the Dark Unwashed Hordes.

No, this doesn't mean Peter Jackson or JRR Tolkien are/were cross burners, but it's not bad to be attuned to this kind of thing.

glowing-fish posted:

The thing about debating racism in Tolkien is not that they are bad opinions, its that every single one of them was pretty worn out by the time usenet became popular in the 1990s. If people want to take it a step further, they can actually read Tolkien's personal writings where he talks about his dislike of imperialism and nazism and apartheid.

Those reblogs are less than ten days old.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Idiots on Social Media: Gandalf the White Supremacist

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lots of fantasy stuff, especially older stuff, has lots of little niggling bothersome things.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The elves are the real racists in LOTR.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

oldpainless posted:

Lots of fantasy stuff, especially older stuff, has lots of little niggling bothersome things.

'Niggling?' Maybe it is you who are the REAL racist here, with language like that!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

paradoxGentleman posted:

Those reblogs are less than ten days old.

Yes, my point. Its not that this is a bad debate to have, it is that people are kind of reinventing the wheel.

Especially with a little bit of research, there are some pretty clear answers, which are that Tolkien's books seem to have had some unconscious prejudice, and have problematic parts today, but that he was not a conscious supporter of any racist ideology, and in fact opposed institutional forms of racism.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Elves and Humans all hated on the dwarves. Racist assholes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

'Niggling?' Maybe it is you who are the REAL racist here, with language like that!

I've never made a secret of my intense dislike of the Dutch

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/roseredsnowhite/status/731478869069324288
https://twitter.com/roseredsnowhite/status/731476667567243264
https://twitter.com/roseredsnowhite/status/731475715145621508
https://twitter.com/roseredsnowhite/status/731475024482160641

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I touched the poop and posted this in response to some blow-hard blaming Muslims for the Egypt Air crash:

quote:

Boy I bet there were Muslims on that plane bound for Egypt! Therefor Muslims are to blame!

He reported it and Facebook deleted it. :allears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No one tell him that Google modifies your results to give you similar things to what you frequently search for.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

No one tell him that Google modifies your results to give you similar things to what you frequently search for.

I dunno, I get the same results.

It's odd. But at least we're not blue eyed Germans.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Krispy Kareem posted:

I dunno, I get the same results.

It's odd. But at least we're not blue eyed Germans.

It's not odd at all when you think of how common "African-American" is as an ethnic descriptor.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It's also possible that those photos are from pages talking about African-Americans and whatnot. "Freckled American" doesn't seem like something you'd actually need to specify that often.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
When I just search "blue eyes" it's 99% honkies so it's definitely the descriptor they're using.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's also possible that those photos are from pages talking about African-Americans and whatnot. "Freckled American" doesn't seem like something you'd actually need to specify that often.

It depends on which search engine you're using

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

oldpainless posted:

It depends on which search engine you're using

What is the most racist search engine?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" is essentially a computer making broad assumptions about humans it interacts with.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

RFC2324 posted:

One of my former acquaintances would have told you it was the notorious "Jewgle". (I figured it was just a quirk of pronunciation - he also pronounced "Geocities" to rhyme with "atrocities", like Megamind - but then it turned out he really was anti-Semitic.)

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

I had to include "-doll" or else I'd just get those american girl dolls (the dolls were also white).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
'blue eyed' any other nationality seems to return what you'd expect. But typing blue eyed by itself suggests black people as an extra term. A lot of people may search 'blue eyed black people' enough for it to be suggested. So that when someone searches 'blue eyed Americans' Google assumes they meant Black Americans.

Also typing 'freckled Americans' returned Black, Asian, White and Hispanic people with freckles which seems pretty representative of Americans.

And for whatever reason 'blonde hair Americans' returns black people with blonde hair but 'blonde haired Americans' returns a mix of White and Black people with blonde hair.