Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm really hyped that Scream Factory is putting out Raising Cain. It's a woefully overlooked DePalma film that is some seriously wackadoo poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Liberal Idiot posted:

Shout! Factory does pretty much amazing work across the board, like if Criterion decided to focus entirely on 80s video store staples. They announced last week that they're releasing The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai in August and I'm more excited for that than almost anything else that happens this year.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/action-adventure/the-adventures-of-buckaroo-banzai-across-the-8th-dimension-collector-s-edition

Holy crap thank you for mentioning this

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Warehouse 13: The Complete Series - $79.99

http://www.amazon.com/Warehouse-13-...1f2d74ba9720995

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone had luck getting the redeem code working for Deadpool?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Rirse posted:

Has anyone had luck getting the redeem code working for Deadpool?

It worked fine for me this morning. I redeemed to iTunes if that makes a difference. :shrug:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yea

Baronash posted:

It worked fine for me this morning. I redeemed to iTunes if that makes a difference. :shrug:

Yeah it finally worked at 2 AM, even through the itunes redeem had a hiccup since Chrome never wants to open itunes and asks to 'download' itunes when it already installed. But thankfully it gave me a code to activate it just fine.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Crimson Peak - $9.99 Loved this - good ghost tale and absolutely breathtaking cinematography and sets.
Spotlight - $9.99

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is old news, but banging my head against the desk because the revised version of Gravity has an Atmos track, but at the expense of the 3D version. I know 3D is divisive, but holy crap was this one film that blew me away in the theater.

Saw someone was looking into combining the two versions themselves, but what a ball ache. If it gets released on UHD it probably won't get a 3D version either due to lack of 3D spec.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Trumbo (with UV code) - $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/Trumbo-Blu-ra...8769dbbb2aa930f

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Godzilla 1984 is coming

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2016/05/19/exclusive-the-return-of-godzilla-blu-ray-dvd-details-from-kraken-releasing/

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Oh you mean a Godzilla movie from 1984 not an adaptation of the book 1984 with Godzilla as Big Brother.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

It was nearly eleven hundred, and in the RECORDS DEPARTMENT, they were dragging the chairs out of the cubicles and grouping them in the centre of the hall opposite the big telescreen, in preparation for the Two Minutes Hate....

The next moment a hideous, grinding speech, as of some monstrous machine running without oil, burst from the big telescreen at the end of the room. It was a noise that set one's teeth on edge and bristled the hair at the back of one's neck. The Hate had started.

As usual, the face of Mothra, the Enemy of the People, had flashed on to the screen. There were hisses here and there among the audience. Mothra was the renegade and backslider who once, long ago (how long ago nobody quite remembered), had been one of the leading figures of the Kaiju, almost on a level with Godzilla himself, and then had engaged in counter-revolutionary activities, had been condemned to death and had mysteriously escaped and disappeared.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Now all we need is for Universal and Toho to clear up King Kong vs. Godzilla ahead of the remake.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Now all we need is for Universal and Toho to clear up King Kong vs. Godzilla ahead of the remake.

And Mechagodzilla 1 and Son of Godzilla (lol)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

Oh you mean a Godzilla movie from 1984 not an adaptation of the book 1984 with Godzilla as Big Brother.

A Godzilla movie from 1984, more to the point, that hasn't been legally available in America since the VHS days

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

A Godzilla movie from 1984, more to the point, that hasn't been legally available in America since the VHS days

And then only in a dramatic re-edit that changed the story and added scenes with Raymond Burr, some American military officers, and a shot where two men walk down a corridor framing a Dr. Pepper machine.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$3.99 - Cast-Away http://www.amazon.com/Cast-Away-Blu...137e224f54bbcc2

$6.99 - Chinatown http://www.amazon.com/Chinatown-Blu...33c0458bdc35d5d

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
So I just started buying Blu Rays. Should I just continually look out for deals and keep up with this thread or will there by massive discounts at Amazon during black friday/Christmas season?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

objects in mirror posted:

So I just started buying Blu Rays. Should I just continually look out for deals and keep up with this thread or will there by massive discounts at Amazon during black friday/Christmas season?

Yes to both.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

blu-ray.com is a great place to see what is on sale as well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Blacula-Scream-Blu-ray/dp/B00QJN34MI

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I started my collection late last year and already have about 100. Blu ray.com deal emails, Amazon, and best buy in store sales( they usually match Amazon) helped.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does Best Buy usually suck when it comes to shipping stuff? I went into one during a trip, and while they had a million Force Awakens discs, none of them were the steelbook. I ordered it online and, surprise surprise, dents in the top of it. Amazon are equally bad back in the UK so I'm guessing if I order one of these titles from a bit store, I should just accept damage?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I've had a bunch of release day stuff shipped with no problems. I don't do steel books though but I think you just had bad luck.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds about right. The bubble packaging was pretty lacking, but I guess they don't differentiate between normal discs and these things which seem to take damage just by looking at them funny.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I bought this on your recommendation and it was a dope buy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

I started my collection late last year and already have about 100. Blu ray.com deal emails, Amazon, and best buy in store sales( they usually match Amazon) helped.

For the most part I try to only spend $10 or less on blu rays, and I still amassed a pretty big collection in about two years. Nobody really cares about blu rays anymore, so once a movie is over a year old you can typically get it dirt cheap.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

For the most part I try to only spend $10 or less on blu rays, and I still amassed a pretty big collection in about two years. Nobody really cares about blu rays anymore, so once a movie is over a year old you can typically get it dirt cheap.

Criterions ruined that plan for me on day 1 of buying blu rays. Then I was doing pretty good at it for a stretch, but Bride of ReAnimator came out and welp. My fiancee keeps telling me I'm not allowed to buy BluRays anymore :(

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Human Tornado drops soon and if it's half as good as the Dolemite disc I'm gonna be over the dang moon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Criterions ruined that plan for me on day 1 of buying blu rays. Then I was doing pretty good at it for a stretch, but Bride of ReAnimator came out and welp. My fiancee keeps telling me I'm not allowed to buy BluRays anymore :(

If I had a fiancé I'm sure that conversation would have happened by now, yea. Criterions and Shout Factory Collectors Editions are my only two exceptions, and I limit those to very specific times of the year. I wait for the Criterion 50% off sales, and I only buy Shout Factory in October. Even so they add up, 50% off Criterion is still $20 or more.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If I had a fiancé I'm sure that conversation would have happened by now, yea. Criterions and Shout Factory Collectors Editions are my only two exceptions, and I limit those to very specific times of the year. I wait for the Criterion 50% off sales, and I only buy Shout Factory in October. Even so they add up, 50% off Criterion is still $20 or more.

Oh definitely. Only buy Criterions on the sale. Shout Factory I'll splurge on without a sale if I'm really filling the itch for something, but I try my best lol.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Speaking of deals, the complete series of Lost In Space is on sale at Amazon for $59.99 right now. Previous lowest was $75, and it's normally $90-100.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
$6.99 -- Dark City http://www.amazon.com/Dark-City-Blu...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This is an excellent deal and people should definitely jump on it.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
The dvd of that film was the first dvd I ever bought, roughly around 2003, not sure what happened to it or the other 6 dvds I ended up owning.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Is the Director's Cut the one that removes the opening narration?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

plainswalker75 posted:

Is the Director's Cut the one that removes the opening narration?

Yea. I watched that recently and its so much better. It just drops you into this bizarre world and you have to figure it out along with the main character.

At least the Blade Runner narration is just unnecessary, the narration in Dark City took away a lot of the mystery, which is like half of the movie's appeal.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Yea. I watched that recently and its so much better. It just drops you into this bizarre world and you have to figure it out along with the main character.

At least the Blade Runner narration is just unnecessary, the narration in Dark City took away a lot of the mystery, which is like half of the movie's appeal.

Yeah, the narration flat out spoils the movie's twist. Like I get why the studio mandated the narration, but it really does hurt the movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've heard over and over again that the opening narration in Dark City ruins the movie or whatever but I've never thought that to be the case. They don't really tell you anything you don't find out in the first half hour of the film. And there's a lot more to the appeal of that movie than the "twist ending". I will admit however that I saw the movie when it originally came out so I was not one of the people who was introduced to it years later and I always knew everything that happens in it. I also think the scenes they added in the DC are pretty superfluous and don't do any wonders for the film's pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The narration tells you right up front that these guys are aliens and that they have special powers that allow them to manipulate reality. The aliens bit especially, you really aren't supposed to know until 3/4 of the way through the movie. Without the narration I'd probably have thought this was some dystopian future, the fact that its aliens conducing an experiment is a major twist that shouldn't be right up front like that.

Spoiler tagged since it seemed wrong to complain about a spoilery narration by posting spoilers.

• Locked thread