Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I mean they've already put an obscene amount of reprint equity into the set with the cards we've seen, I wouldn't be shocked if the rest of the set is just chaff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

I ordered a few for the gently caress of it and they are so easy to tell. They might pass if you aren't looking closely but I'm really not worried about buying or trading for a fake as a real card anymore.
Good. The argument here is that you only want them to play with in a tournament. Little side bonus: more people that play legacy instead of the usual 5 grognards at your store. Nobody's talking about buying fakes to trade for real cards :lol:.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I think part of the issue is they insist every set be draftable which is normally an admirable goal but when it's one of these sets where they make approximately 4 boxes of it, that isn't really necessary or desirable when not many people will get to draft it or draft it many times

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I think part of the issue is they insist every set be draftable which is normally an admirable goal but when it's one of these sets where they make approximately 4 boxes of it, that isn't really necessary or desirable when not many people will get to draft it or draft it many times

People will try to draft anything, so if they don't make it draftable, people will complain very very loudly.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

A Fancy Bloke posted:

If they don't make the set draftable then it's just buying lottery tickets

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Just to give people an idea of how much value the set has already, here's the mythics, and rares above pack price. Either this set is going to be way above MSRP for drafts/etc, or the rest of the previews are going to be mostly duds. Not to mention foils, which for cards that never had them will be insane. Control Magic is a dollar but the foil will be 30 or more. If you add 500$ in fetchlands to this list, or other 100+ dollar cards like port, karakas, recruiter, or imperial seal, things will get wonky in a bad way. The average value of a mythic is currently 42$, 4x MSRP. Oh lmao, average rare value is 18$ currently as well.

e; note that this assumes it's printed around MMA1 amounts, since they're sending MMA1 amounts to stores as allocation. If it's MM2 print runs there can be more value, as prices will lower more.

(M)Mana crypt - 170
(M)JTMS - 90
(M)FoW - 80
(R)Wasteland - 50
(M)Sneak Attack - 40
(M)Chrome Mox - 30
(M)Vampiric Tutor - 30
(R)Gamble - 30
(R)Maze of Ith - 30
(R)Sensei's Top - 30
(R)Entomb - 30
(R)Sylvan Library - 23
(R)Toxic Deluge - 14
--- Pack Value ---
(M)Necropotence - 10
(M)Worldgorger - 3
(M)Balance - 1

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 24, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chill la Chill posted:

Good. The argument here is that you only want them to play with in a tournament. Little side bonus: more people that play legacy instead of the usual 5 grognards at your store. Nobody's talking about buying fakes to trade for real cards :lol:.

That is my worry though. If some guy passes a fake off as a real at a tourney I don't give a poo poo. What I do care about is paying 300 bucks for a fake card.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A Fancy Bloke posted:

The whole "mythic improves limited balance" thing is a huge cop-out because people still open those unbeatable bombs, except now only a few people get them and the rest don't get anything that can remotely compete. Also mythics are just as unbalanced in constructed as in limited. Compare Jace or Kalitas or Soulfire Grandmaster to anything at rare, the mythics are very obviously and deliberately pushed to be the best cards in standard to induce scarcity and high demand.

Anyone who buys packs in an insane person. Buy lottery tickets instead so when you win you get actual money instead of store credit funbux.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Control Magic isn't amazing but people do play the card in EDH and cubes and I imagine there will be a non-zero number of people who want the sweet new art or a foil of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
We aren't going to get Inquisition of Kozilek at uncommon in this set :(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
No but you get this at awesome Mythic

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

No but you get this at awesome Mythic

Awesome to play with but definitely a feel bad to open.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

In terms of limited it's going to feel real weird to open Entomb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

In terms of limited it's going to feel real weird to open Entomb.

They wouldn't put it in there without some common and uncommon ways to interact with the yard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
gently caress this card

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

They wouldn't put it in there without some common and uncommon ways to interact with the yard.

oh my sweet summer child

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ahahahah I get to play Balance in limited. New Top art is ok. Symbiote and timberwatch and shaman obviously mean "elves" is the BG draft archetype.

e; NOTED ETERNAL STAPLE, SHAMAN OF THE PACK

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

little munchkin posted:

oh my sweet summer child

MM15 draft was awesome. Why wouldn't this be awesome too? They should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Angry Grimace posted:

gently caress this card

Yeah.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Reminder to anyone who opens Top - pick it because it's 30 bucks, then don't play it because that card is a loving trap.

VVV Well duh anything that gets spoiled is going to crater then rise again.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 24, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Reminder to anyone who opens Top - pick it because it's 30 bucks, then don't play it because that card is a loving trap.

Top is like 16 bucks now TCG low. It's not gonna be 30 bucks.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Man the timberwatch elf and the wirewood symbiote look loving lame.

No, WotC, you don't get to have your cake and eat it. Isn't the whole loving point of a rigid visual and style guide, that must be obeyed always, to have a uniform and identifiable visual identity for a specific type of character/creature/place/whatever? Well guess what - we know what a Wirewood symbiote looks like and we know what a Timberwatch elf looks like, because Wizards have made drat sure that their artists all got the memo.

Except gently caress that, let's slap some together some smudgy CGI poo poo and print it on a card.

It's basically the same poo poo that MaRo does when he repeats one of his many little rules about game design in Magic, and then promptly disregards them because reasons.

On a positive note - Hey, a reprint of top! Art looks sweet!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:eyepop: want that top. OG top looks great but that one's lurid and pretty. Exactly the kind of magic art I normally hate but it works with how gaudy it is.

mcmagic posted:

That is my worry though. If some guy passes a fake off as a real at a tourney I don't give a poo poo. What I do care about is paying 300 bucks for a fake card.
I know nobody here is dumb enough to declare they are going to try trading fakes for reals but know it's happening in the background. However, there's an amount of enthusiasm that means people actually get to try legacy cuz the physical supply of cards literally isn't enough. It's one of those ethical things that's alright for some people like me. And I have like several extra copies of duals for friends to borrow.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I wonder if Elvish Visionary is going to have new art since it's almost certainly in at common. This probably also means that's we'll see a Craterhoof reprint (23$) and/or Natural Order (30$).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

I wonder if Elvish Visionary is going to have new art since it's almost certainly in at common. This probably also means that's we'll see a Craterhoof reprint (23$) and/or Natural Order (30$).

Cradle is going to be like 300 bucks in a week.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

gently caress this card

these both look loving terrible lol

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
For what it's worth, trading counterfeits for real stuff is how fake money often circulates. Make a fake $100, buy a pack of cigarettes and get real change, and now the store is the one left holding the bill. We have the advantage that dealers are in the best position of anyone to spot fakes. Limiting the usefulness of proxies to "for play only" and keeping them out of the secondary market will significantly limit the damage they can do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

For what it's worth, trading counterfeits for real stuff is how fake money often circulates. Make a fake $100, buy a pack of cigarettes and get real change, and now the store is the one left holding the bill. We have the advantage that dealers are in the best position of anyone to spot fakes. Limiting the usefulness of proxies to "for play only" and keeping them out of the secondary market will significantly limit the damage they can do.

That is easier said than done and they are a lot of really terrible people who play this game.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Sneak Attack is in EMA, no new art shown though

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
On another note, what do you all think are the odds of the Zendikar fetchlands seeing a re-print here? The number crunch still allows for them between Maze and Wasteland, but this set is already so top-heavy in terms of value, they definitely don't need to inflate the pack price anymore. Stores locally are running a limited number of drafts for $100 each.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

On another note, what do you all think are the odds of the Zendikar fetchlands seeing a re-print here? The number crunch still allows for them between Maze and Wasteland, but this set is already so top-heavy in terms of value, they definitely don't need to inflate the pack price anymore. Stores locally are running a limited number of drafts for $100 each.

0%

They won't be in this set.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
That top art is rad but lol at it being rare. Don't wanna upset the completely legitimate apple cart of a $25 uncommon

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

Sneak Attack is in EMA, no new art shown though

EMA spoiler season seems worse than usual for people not seeing if something was posted yet.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So from the other article posted today, we have G/W Enchantments, G/U Threshhold, G/R Zoo, and U/B Reanimator as limited strategies.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want to attend one of these events. I'm assuming white tie, bring dancing shoes for dancing and refreshments later?

A Fancy Bloke posted:

That top art is rad but lol at it being rare. Don't wanna upset the completely legitimate apple cart of a $25 uncommon
:eyepop: didn't even see that. First FOW, now top. Uncommons are the backbone of every good deck. :mad:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dack at mythic and Mishra's Factory at uncommon

e; WEREBEAR

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 24, 2016

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Skyl3lazer posted:

So from the other article posted today, we have G/W Enchantments, G/U Threshhold, G/R Zoo, and U/B Reanimator as limited strategies.

Probably also G/B Elves, judging by what they've spoiled?

Chill la Chill posted:

I want to attend one of these events. I'm assuming white tie, bring dancing shoes for dancing and refreshments later?

I wish; more like Toronto is filled with value-obsessed degenerates, and the stores know they can milk us for all we're worth (OK so it's $100 Canadian I guess that's not that much to you rich Americans).

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Karakas at Mythic. Wowzers! poo poo judge foil art.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Terese Nielsen Control Magic

Someone come out and say "This is worse than the old art" so I can punch you in the dick for being so incorrect.

Angry Grimace posted:

gently caress this card

THIS, however..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm glad all the cool old cards are being reprinted with terrible new art so the value of the old cards will remain high

• Locked thread