Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Remember when magicJack had it's own team in Women's Professional Soccer? And several of the biggest names in women's soccer? Including several members of the future multiple World Cup winning squad?

And then the whole thing flopped, because the magicJack guy was insane?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagicJack_(WPS)

This and the ongoing adventures of John McAfee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAfee) are my favorite Where Are They Now? of crazy tech people to check in on from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Oyak posted:

Well, every Veterans Administration hospital in the US still makes its employees use a program with a command line interface in order to request vacation time or sick days. This means learning to program a few lines of code if you want time off. God Bless America! :911:
There are dozens of various arcane databases in use for federal agencies that involve command-line interfaces, though granted most of them are menu-style. I can only assume it is logistically impossible to ever convert them to anything else, so anyone who wants to still have the joy of looking at 80x25 interfaces at work can still do so for the foreseeable future with the right agency!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When did you become Dr. Quarex?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Casimir Radon posted:

When did you become Dr. Quarex?
Truly, when did any of us become Dr. Quarex?

I figured I might as well do something with my new title since I cannot officially use it at work :smith:

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

woodch posted:

(Maelstrom)
Well, there goes my weekend. Thanks!

Did you ever make your own sound packs using ResEdit? If so - yeah they'll work with the PC port as well.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Nice! I mean I hope this came before MEMMAKER and it wasn't just running that for you and making a menu. At least some games had a "make a boot disk" program. Otherwise yeah, it was always a pretty huge bummer when you wanted to play this new game but nope, you gotta gently caress around with EMM386 some more. Oh cool, I have enough RAM now.. but only if I don't load the mouse driver, and the game works better with the mouse :suicide:

EVIL Gibson posted:

Sometimes I compile linux open source or kernels just because I think my CPU isn't working hard enough and I want to watch it burn.
:cripes:

You should try Gentoo Linux!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Run Seti@Home or something like that (and then wonder why it's so warm in the room [don't get brain damage] and about your power bill)

Command Line interfaces aren't the worst, there's also not really a point in spending millions on modernizing something to then resemble the Windows 8 UI and then have more bugs, more overhead and less function while being somehow more incomprehensible. Of course it doesn't have to turn out like that, but well, come on - we all know it'd turn out exactly like that. :v:

I was just thinking about this thread because I bought an IBM PS/2E this weekend on eBay. Normally the last thing I'd need is more old computer crap but I might just equip it with a DOM Module and enjoy a completely silent old PC. I also love Desktop cases, I was never a fan of those towers even though admittedly they make more sense. IBM always did some fine engineering back then, I'm really curious how it's put together.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Police Automaton posted:

Run Seti@Home or something like that (and then wonder why it's so warm in the room [don't get brain damage] and about your power bill)

Oh yeah, your mentioning brain damage reminds me of another way to burn your CPU: mine bitcoin.

quote:

spending millions on modernizing something to then resemble the Windows 8 UI and then have more bugs

Yeah, it's way harder to get GUIs right. The same can probably be said for textual interfaces like Norton Commander, vs. actual non-interactive CLIs like
code:
./post-on-somethingawful.sh --forum=GBS --type=poo poo --text="im gay"

quote:

I bought an IBM PS/2E

:cry: I want one (should have tried to buy one when my dad's work was getting rid of them back in the day) but they're so expensive, and then there's the postage.

quote:

DOM Module

???

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

It's actually DOM not DOM Module (as that would mean Disk on Module Module) They're basically really small SSDs similiar to CF cards that are used in industrial settings often. You can get them with SATA or IDE interfaces, those with IDE interfaces in small capacity are easy and cheap to get out of China and are the perfect hard drives for such old computers, especially if they're built to spec and don't have a strong power supply and/or don't have much room.

They also exist in DIP packages with very small capacities and were used on earlier Industrial PC boards. In such a settings you usually don't want mechanical hard drives and also don't need to change the contents often. Engineers in the field could basically just pop the old chip out and put a new one in. Even earlier you'd use EPROMs, I have industrial PC boards where you can plug in an EPROM and it'll be recognized as a disk by the board. These are of course not in-field writeable though. (Sometimes that was a bonus because they can't be easily tampered with)

Police Automaton has a new favorite as of 09:12 on May 16, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

klafbang posted:

Unicode is a mess. It's better than the good ol' code pages, but ho boy is the video wrong about it solving all issues. Aside from the unicode domains that for a short time was every phishers dream, it's also a coding nightmare: https://eev.ee/blog/2015/09/12/dark-corners-of-unicode/

Hang on. ' But 16 bits covers the entire BMP, which contains all current languages, some ancient languages, dingbats, mathematical symbols, and tons of punctuation.'

The whole reason we don't just use the BMP these days is that it doesn't and cannot contain all of modern Chinese, specifically all the stuff in the Supplementary Ideographic Plane. Nobody would be going through the pain of UTF-16 just so we can write in ancient Egyptian or frigging Linear A.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
IIRC, Unicode was originally 16 bits. It was then merged with a competing standard, which used 32 bits but promised to only ever use 24 bits.

Therefore, the first 16 bits are "special," as in the first unicode standards tried to put every language in there (including merging Chinese and Japanese based on all of "means the same," "sounds the same," and "looks the same.")

Merging of the two standards is also the reason we have both the UCS and UTF encodings (obviously in both little and big endian versions). While UTF8 is incredibly clever for many things, it should just die horribly and be replaced by UCS4 little endian.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I'm more of an ascii type of guy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

I'm more of an ascii type of guy

Is this you?
code:
     #####
    #### _\_  ________
    ##=-[.].]| \      \
    #(    _\ |  |------|
     #   __| |  ||||||||
      \  _/  |  ||||||||
   .--'--'-. |  | ____ |
  / __      `|__|[o__o]|
_(____nm_______ /____\____

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is this you?
code:
     #####
    #### _\_  ________
    ##=-[.].]| \      \
    #(    _\ |  |------|
     #   __| |  ||||||||
      \  _/  |  ||||||||
   .--'--'-. |  | ____ |
  / __      `|__|[o__o]|
_(____nm_______ /____\____

no, i'm over here
:goonsay:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

klafbang posted:

While UTF8 is incredibly clever for many things, it should just die horribly and be replaced by UCS4 little endian.

It's kinda nice how you can open a UTF-8 file in a dumb/old program like, say, Vernon Buerg's LIST, and if it's mostly ASCII then it's still readable, instead of every letter being separated by 3 NUL characters like it would be with UCS4.

I wonder if this Visual Basic 6 clone of LIST supports UCS4? :v:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Unctuous Cretin posted:

This and the ongoing adventures of John McAfee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAfee) are my favorite Where Are They Now? of crazy tech people to check in on from time to time.

i remember that guy from farcry 3

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Heath posted:

Just quoting this for the new page

Just quoting this to provide a link to an allegedly-working-on-modern-Windows copy of the game complete with pre-configured DOSBox: http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/dos-games/prince-interactive-cd-dosbox/

I'm going to assume this is cool because the company who made this is as gone as Prince is.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

klafbang posted:

Merging of the two standards is also the reason we have both the UCS and UTF encodings (obviously in both little and big endian versions). While UTF8 is incredibly clever for many things, it should just die horribly and be replaced by UCS4 little endian.

Nah, UTF-8 was for backwards compatibility. Having all your existing English-language text files be compatible as-is was and is pretty important.

Going UCS-4 everywhere a) means that means all your text in English and other European languages is like 4x as big (not as big a deal as it used to be) and b) doesn't even get you what you want because one Unicode code point doesn't equal one character (because of things mentioned in that article like decomposed characters). You can't usefully index a UCS-4 array to do, well, anything, you're going to have to iterate through it no matter what, and even in memory let alone on disc it's probably faster to do that with UTF-8 because the overhead of getting four times as many bytes from RAM/disc to the CPU is higher than the overhead of unpacking UTF-8 on the fly.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I largely agree. My big problem with UTF8 is that it violates the fail-fast doctrine and is people tend to fail to understand it, and the largely backwards compatibility hides that fact until something bad happens. I don't think the technical issues matter anymore to a degree where it is a weighty argument against a fixed encoding. Of course, if that had been the dominating opinion in the late 90s/early 2000s my only half-forgotten knowledge of the differences between 850, 865, and 1252 would still be useful today :)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Computer Relics - Before the Age of Autism we were just Nerds.

Somehow typing that out made me remember how much fun it was to Telnet into the LA Public Library catalog system to see if the book I wanted was at my local branch. Sweet sweet command line interfaces.

this was still possible in Redondo in '07 or so, using the same mainframe system. Eventually they from terminals to actual computers, but still used the mainframe for book tracking. And you know, what? It worked pretty well. They started moving over to some kind of web client in... 05 or so or so and it never worked properly. As recently as 2012 it still didn't. Not sure now, don't want to check.

Those terminals were rad. Little red or orange CRT screens, clackety Model M keyboards... goddamn I miss that throwback poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Moms.......ON THE NET!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvTGOw7GcY4

(Warning: This video contains an unusual amount of 1990's; discuss this video with your doctor if unsure before viewing)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

is that legolas

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
What was Gopher

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
An early alternative to HTTP.
It sort of was like a text based version of the web with sites being accessed via command lines or numbered menus.

It was quickly surpassed when CERN insisted HTTP would be free after Gopher wanted a fee for it's use. And HTTP also offered a bit more sophistication such as combining images and text together on a page along with Mosaic and other early WWW browsers helping push HTML forward as the standard.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Images? How fast do you think my internet connection is?

That'll never catch on.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I remember setting up initialization strings on my 14.4 external modem so I could connect with a friend to play Hexen

Eventually we graduated to Diablo but my 486/dx266 really chugged and I ended up upgrading to a Pentium 100.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wtf is a phlog

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Regular Nintendo posted:

Wtf is a phlog

goPHer Log, as opposed to weblog

because this isnt the web its the gopherspace

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
gopher is still around, it's snappy on old computers. Purely text based content is IMHO as clean as it gets and is in no way a "disadvantage". Depends on the content, really.

http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/
knock yourself out, you can also reach wikipedia via gopher.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Kaizoku posted:

goPHer Log, as opposed to weblog

because this isnt the web its the gopherspace

Back in 2003, an army mate used his SonyEricsson to send photos and small text updates to his phlog - "phone blog". IIRC it was hosted somewhere that could accept MMS updates, which I guess was kind of neat.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

If you Google Image Search "gopher client", the first three matches are beautiful Windows 3.1, OS/2 and MacOS clients, all GUIs. I mean beautiful because in that day any time you could use a GUI for the Internet it was amazing, I was dialing into a BBS in Telemate and then getting a shell prompt on a Unix machine to run gopher :saddowns:

Also old browsers supported gopher:// URLs.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En_2T7KH6RA

http://www.xanadu.net/

Poor guy has been struggling with this and his other projects for the past 50 years.

kilogram
Mar 29, 2012

Cyborg Senator
Man, I feel kinda sorry for this old man, it's like we're disappointing him every time we open up a web page :(

But I'm kinda confused as to what makes this significantly different from HTML with links except for being ten times harder to read

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Regular Nintendo posted:

Wtf is a phlog

It's what happens to taggers in Singapore

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

kilogram posted:

Man, I feel kinda sorry for this old man, it's like we're disappointing him every time we open up a web page :(

But I'm kinda confused as to what makes this significantly different from HTML with links except for being ten times harder to read

I think his idea is that you should (actually, graphically, with multiple windows and lines) show how two or more documents are connected. If you cite a scientific paper, it would show that as a separate window with lines and highlight blocks showing "this part here refers to that part there" instead of an obtuse link to a landing page for the quoted article. I don't know if you could do "live" embedding as well?

It's like some weird hybrid of reviewer comments in Word, a visual diff tool, the hover-previews of links in imgur comments, and normal web pages ... and I can actually imagine a few cases where it might be useful. Still, it's deeply niche and web pages seem like a more convenient structure.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'd take it a lot more seriously if his website didn't make it seem like he's fighting some weird holy war against HTML

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It's what happens to taggers in Singapore

Underrated post right here

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Hmmm, seems reasonable.....

quote:

The computer world is not just technicality and razzle-dazzle. It is a continual war over software politics and paradigms. With ideas which are still radical, WE FIGHT ON.

We expect vindication, the last laugh, and a redefinition of electronic literature-- and at the least, that our format will join the others as a standard that does not imitate paper.

FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS

A new kind of writing-- PARALLEL PAGES, VISIBLY CONNECTED.
Markup is not embedded; links are separate, applied to clean permanized content. Thus all links, by everyone, are to original data and its shared addresss space.
Sale of clean content to pay artists and authors, with a copyright doctrine to match, permitting mashup with author micropayment.

quote:

Conventional electronic documents were designed in the 1970s by well-funded conventional thinkers at Xerox PARC, who asked, "How can we imitate paper?" The result is today's electronic document-- Microsoft Word format and the printout format PDF. They imitate paper and emphasize appearance and fonts.

But much earlier, in 1960, the Xanadu project started with a completely different idea: since interactive screens are coming (who else knew?), we asked a different question: How can we IMPROVE on paper?

We foresaw a new screen literature of parallel, interconnected documents.

Above is a picture from a paper we published in 1972.*

* Theodor H. Nelson, “As We Will Think." Proceedings of Online 72 Conference, Bruanel University, Uxbridge, England, 1972.

A closeup below, from that same paper, shows visible interconnection between two screen windows. Thus an author may show the exact connection between writings on different pages.

The visible connection becomes a structural part of the writing, as fundamental as a paragraph or heading.

Note that this provides a generalized way of representing parallel documents and their precise connections-- such as the Talmud, legal commentary, or the comments on the long poem in Nabokov's "Pale Fire" by his fictitious literary critic, Charles Kinbote..

(Since this was in 1972, these pictures were of a mockup, not a functioning system. There were no office computers then.)

IMPOSSIBLE ON MAC, WINDOWS AND LINUX

When Xerox PARC released their first computer with a "modern" interface, the Alto, they did not offer visible connections between windows, though such connections would have been possible.* But when the Alto was imitated by the Apple Macintosh and then Microsoft Windows, such connections became impossible. And needless to say, the further imitations of these windows on Linux don't make such connections possible either.

* Alan Kay, personal communication.
IMPOSSIBLE ON THE WEB
The World Wide Web took part of our concept, the "hyperlink" (we called it the jump-link, since you can't see where you're going), and left out the visible interconnections (which would allow you to see where you'e going). In his 1989 proposal for the World Wide Web, Tim Berners-Lee said:

There are few products which take Ted Nelson's idea of a wide "docuverse" literally by allowing links between nodes in different databases. In order to do this, some standardisation would be necessary.*
* http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html
The standardization he allowed in his document format only allowed jump-links, with no visible bridges between them.

A PARALLEL LITERATURE OF INTERCONNECTED DOCUMENTS

We have continued to pursue these ideas, with no funding and no support, and despite ridicule and attack. Here follow screen shots of some of our functioning prototypes.

Two Versions of the Declaration of Independence, by Ka-Ping Yee (1999). Yee's graphical interface, Pyxi, connects directly to the Xanadu Green server. Work on Xanadu Green, a server designed for parallel documents, has been continuing under Roger Gregory.

CosmicBook™, Nelson with Ian Heath (2003)-- Windows only. Heath's method bypasses Microsoft's windowing system, creating an overlay for the entire screen on which he draws the connection-lines.

XanaduSpace™, Nelson with Robert Adamson Smith (2007)-- Windows only, unchangeable contents. Smith's system represents all pages as slabs within a 3D space, moving between 3D positions on user command. Highlighted sections of text are separate 3D objects ("tetroids", named after a shape in the game of Tetris) connected by beams. Pages, tetroids and beams are all objects sworfing (swooping and/or morphing) together. The system was intended in principle to fetch contents from the net, but did not reach that stage.

OpenXanadu™, Nelson with Nicholas Levin, 2014 (various mechanisms inside the web browser). Using cascading style sheets and other browser methods, Levin scrolls the various text sources (note that the entire Old Testament is in the column on the left) and their connecting bridges to the central article. Only the origins of quotations (transclusions) are shown; xanalinks could be added, but we do not consider this approach worth pursuing. This prototype actually does fetch contents from the net, should users want to show their own data. However, we have no time to document it.

With our limited resources we can only go slowly, unlike today's Red Bull-fueled young teams.
Though our ideas have been pushed out of the way, they are still good. We expect vindication, and eventual acceptance as a fundamental document type and format that will stand tall against the paper imitations.

No one else is pursuing this approach; everyone is hypnotized by the Web browser, which is basically crippled for these purposes.

PAGE AND DOCUMENT LOGIC

What we need is not just visible connection, but a rational and extensible structure behind it-- a way of grouping parallel documents and managing their visible interconnections. That is defined bythe data structure, which we will publish when ready.

We fight on.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
GBS - With our limited resources we can only go slowly, unlike today's Red Bull-fueled young teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It hovers in a weird room between crazy and inspired. Unlike actual crazy people, the technical and practical parts make enough sense and they haven't invented too many new words. On the other hand, it still reads as a bit ... off the beaten track.

As a contrast, consider this oddball who I sporadically run into on Norwegian forums: http://bendiklaland.info/documentiveinformals.html
He has more than once tried to find programmers for some project that would, uhm, let you construct algorithms through different kinds of structured art, or something. It's kind of hard to parse.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 22:47 on May 24, 2016