Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's an 01 Jeep in the Laredo trim. It can only be a loving Grand Cherokee, Jesus Christ, of all the things for you to get hung the gently caress up on. It's a TRIIIIIIIIIM....... ON ONE MODEL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Part of me hopes his mechanic burns him so good and hard that he eventually swears off Jeep ownership and drives something that's fitting for dimwits like him. Like a 2005 Cobalt.

I'd give him a beater '93 Suzuki Sidekick instead

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Does the body a 4.0 is installed in really matter for the circulation direction?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
In some cases. I'm about 99.99% sure YJs had a water pump that spins the other direction. And the various bodies have different flange patterns and stickout lengths on the drive flange, and also different hose barb lengths and shapes.

For a 2001 4.0L (already more info than he gave at first) you could have:
XJ:
AW3412, ACDelco 252191, Gates 42004
TJ/WJ:
AW7164, ACDelco 252799, Gates 42293

One year earlier and the TJ would be like the XJ, but the WJ would still be different I think. One year later and it doesn't matter anymore (now that we know it's a 4.0L.)

He sure loving knew it was a Laredo, though. Which doesn't matter at all and was a trim level they only used on a half dozen vehicles available over a span of several decades.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
And THIS poo poo right here is why I am glad I have video every time I ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_DplTXpCzk

This dumb oval office didn't even realize she almost hit someone. Glad it was in the city and in traffic.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

The 91 is the worst road I've ever driven on. Holy poo poo. Not just the construction, or the lovely broken down vehicles that overheat trying to climb the slight incline, but for some reason the leftmost lanes seem to end and merge right while they add a lane on the right side which ends up becoming exit only a few miles later. Then you have the 55, 57, 241, and 71 all feeding into it. It's just hosed. They should put another freeway through Chino (if anyone can stand the smell of the feed lots), and just blast another road through the mountains connecting Orange County to the 15.

The 241 dumping only into regular eastbound lanes the thing that chaps my rear end the most.

There was talk of another road shooting across the south side of Corona that would join up with Oso Parkway on the other side. A tunnel was mentioned, I don't think that got anywhere.

The most hilarious thing is the extra HOV toll lanes they are currently building. You can only enter those lanes at the 15(from the 91 and from north and south 15) and then again around Green River...

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

nm posted:

My understanding is that OCs contract with the 91 toll lanes prohibits them from building new lanes or a new freeway. Which is hilarious and horrible.
The 91 is miserable on weekends, I couldn't fathom it during rush hour.

Pretty sure that agreement either aged out or was bought out. The 91 was widened a little between Green River and the 241 ramps soon after. One of the Shovel Ready stimulus projects IIRC.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bogatyr posted:

Pretty sure that agreement either aged out or was bought out. The 91 was widened a little between Green River and the 241 ramps soon after. One of the Shovel Ready stimulus projects IIRC.

They may be less worried about that as 241 people are paying a toll and can't use the 91 toll lanes anyhow.
The 91 toll lanes kinda suck as they stop at the riverside co border, so you have to deal with that poo poo there as well.
I honestly think the 91 is the worst freeway in america.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
wow, today is a two-fer

Same loving moron from before with the "o1 laredo"

Count the important bits of info he forgot to post this time!

(I stayed out of it. I don't need that headache. He found someone to do the install for $100 and I'm eagerly awaiting the fallout.)

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

nm posted:

They may be less worried about that as 241 people are paying a toll and can't use the 91 toll lanes anyhow.
The 91 toll lanes kinda suck as they stop at the riverside co border, so you have to deal with that poo poo there as well.
I honestly think the 91 is the worst freeway in america.

For accuracy, some copy paste...
"In April, 2002, the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) reached an agreement in concept to purchase the private toll road project for $207.5 million. The OCTA took possession of the Toll Road on January 3, 2003, marking the first time the 91 Express Lanes was managed by public officials. Within a few months, OCTA turned the lanes into the HOT / tollway hybrid that it is today.[43] One of the primary investors in CPTC, Cofiroute USA, continues to manage and operate the lanes under a management contract with OCTA.[44]

Opening in 1995, the 91 Express Lanes is the first privately funded tollway built in the United States since the 1940s, and the first fully automated tollway in the world.

The express lanes have been controversial because of a "non-compete" agreement that the state made with CPTC. The clause, which was negotiated by Caltrans and never was brought to the legislature, prevent any improvements along 30 miles (48 km) of the Riverside Freeway to ensure profit for the express lanes. This includes restricting the state from widening the free lanes or building mass transit near the freeway. CPTC filed a lawsuit against Caltrans over freeway widening related to the interchange with the Eastern Transportation Corridor interchange, which was dismissed once the purchase with OCTA was finalized.[45] Following the settlement, an additional lane was added for a 5-mile segment eastbound from SR-241 to SR-71, which has decreased usage of the toll road and revenues.[citation needed]

However, as a result of the controversy, more toll road advocates favor creating local agencies similar to Transportation Corridor Agencies to build and maintain future tollways. New toll roads would be financed with tax-exempt bonds on a stand-alone basis—taxpayers would not be responsible for repaying any debt if toll revenues fall short. Also, there would be a less restrictive "non-compete" clause: they would be compensated only for any revenue loss caused by improvements near the toll roads.[46]"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kastein posted:

More in the spirit of the original direction this thread took than bad drivers, but goddamn. I really try sometimes and I don't know why.

(I gave up, he can loving walk to the store for a water pump for all I care)

laredo is not a jeep model and "4x4" isn't either. Jesus tap dancing christ.

That's ridiculous, but so is explaining what a VIN is...
and a "google"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Just got passed by a lane-splitting biker (lane splitting isn't legal in my state) who had to be doing 120+ MPH (also not legal here, but laws are for poors and vehicles with more than three wheels apparently.) It was like I was sitting still at 70.

Never before have I wanted to see someone die from their own stupidity so badly, but I know that had it happened either I or one of the other cars around me would have been blamed for it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

Just got passed by a lane-splitting biker (lane splitting isn't legal in my state) who had to be doing 120+ MPH (also not legal here, but laws are for poors and vehicles with more than three wheels apparently.) It was like I was sitting still at 70.

Never before have I wanted to see someone die from their own stupidity so badly, but I know that had it happened either I or one of the other cars around me would have been blamed for it.

Around here (western Michigan) cops won't even attempt to pull over bikes going 100+. It's too dangerous. If they get your plate and you run they will just go to your house and wait for you to show up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

On the way home this evening on I-10, 5 lanes wide + HOV lane, and it's late enough that traffic is running about 70 in the slower lanes up to 75 in the high speed lane (speed limit is 65, but just like every other freeway in the country it's completely ignored).

I see a pretty well used white GM compact sedan join the freeway from an on-ramp, and without ever pausing, or apparently looking at traffic at all, starts across all lanes of traffic at a shallow angle, going from the off-ramp to the high-speed lane (where I am) in a single continuous move, but taking 20 seconds or so to do it. Multiple people panic braked or made rapid lane changes avoiding this car. It settles down in front of me in the high-speed lane going... maybe 55mph. I flash my lights a couple of times with no effect, but traffic was pretty light so no biggy, just passed on the right. As I passed I looked over and the driver is this tiny old woman who can barely see over the dash, both hands with a death-grip on the steering wheel, and eyes fixed directly ahead.

For as long as she was visible in my mirror there was a regular parade of people making rapid lane changes to go around her since she was doing 20 or so slower than the normal traffic in that lane.

How do drivers like this manage to not get killed? This is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ratbert90 posted:

Around here (western Michigan) cops won't even attempt to pull over bikes going 100+. It's too dangerous. If they get your plate and you run they will just go to your house and wait for you to show up.

Same here in Ohio, I witnessed a state highway patrolman make it through an intersection before giving up chasing a sport bike down last 4th of July. Bike flies through and highway patrol comes about 5 seconds later. Bike was at least a half mile down the road and opening before the patrolman shut off his lights off and pulled a u-turn.

Bike didn't have a plate either, which seems to be more common than not where I am.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

wow, today is a two-fer

Same loving moron from before with the "o1 laredo"

Count the important bits of info he forgot to post this time!

(I stayed out of it. I don't need that headache. He found someone to do the install for $100 and I'm eagerly awaiting the fallout.)

Honestly, I hope his jeep explodes. Mostly because he's dumb, partly because I had 3 seperate people come in and say they need a part for a jeep today alone, but just gave me xj/yj/tj/whateverthefuckj and then look at me expecting to pull something out of my rear end. Then they act like I wouldn't be able to find the right end of a hammer to hold when I make him tell me the year and model because I'm not learning jeep's bullshit. Honda owners can gently caress right off with this too. I don't know specificly what year an EK would be, I don't know off the top of my head what a B16XYZFUCKINGQ came out of and I don't care that you say it'll dust a brand new mustang 350R.

Or maybe it was the idiot with an '03 jeep grand cherokee who insisted I give him straight 40 weight oil for his 4.0 so he could drive it all the way back to oregon and insisted that his friend who totally knows jeeps and drives a bunch of classic ones told him thats what he needs to run in it.

Or maybe it was the idiot last friday who called looking for "brake drums" on a 2005 ford F-150. When I said that I didn't show a result for brake drums and asked them if it was possibly rotors instead, I had to describe what a brake rotor looked like. Then had to ask them how many lugs it had to narrow down WHICH rotor. Which led to explaining what a lug stud was and telling them where to find them. They counted 5. The options are 6 and 7. This person is doing their own brake job. This is the first time I ever ended a coversation with a recommendation for a mechanic without being asked first.

:smithicide:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

Never before have I wanted to see someone die from their own stupidity so badly

Classy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

How do drivers like this manage to not get killed? This is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

My grandmother was one of these people. While she long ago took herself off the roads at night (and into increasingly few hours of daylight), she never did give up the keys even when the only way she could tell if she was driving "fast enough" was whether or not the speedometer needle was obscured by a bandaid she'd placed there.

Yeah, I don't know how she never got plowed into either.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

IOwnCalculus posted:

My grandmother was one of these people. While she long ago took herself off the roads at night (and into increasingly few hours of daylight), she never did give up the keys even when the only way she could tell if she was driving "fast enough" was whether or not the speedometer needle was obscured by a bandaid she'd placed there.

Yeah, I don't know how she never got plowed into either.

Got to work one morning and the foreman said, "Hey, I passed your grandmother on the way to work."
"No, you didn't" I told him.

My grans drove a big pontiac, always in excellent tune and clean as a car can be. In her 80s, she drove cross country 2 or 3 times, and told me she set the cruise at 90 "in the flat states". She knew her away around cars and told the kid that tired the ol' short stick gag to sell an empty qt of oil to be quiet and get away from her car.

She once out-dragged me, on my 650 triumph. Yeah, he didn't pass my grans.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

dee eight posted:

Yeah, he didn't pass my grans.

Sup competent-grandparent-driver-buddy

My grandad was driving tractors before he was 10, cars not long after, swore off motorbikes after he was done for 60 in a 35 on his Velocette and got into TSD rallying. He's nearing 80 and still one of the best drivers I know, tears around country lanes in his kei van delivering the flowers and vegetables he farms because he's not ready to retire.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

nm posted:

Someone actually did that to my brother's rx-8 on a harley or goldwing or something.
I'm pretty pro-filtering, but when your bike is nearly as wide as my sub-compact, maybe you should be more careful.
Oh and he absolutely hit and ran like the cowardly wanna be bad rear end accountant he is.
It left a massive scar over multiple body panels. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Yea that's a massive dick move, I do worry about doing that myself sometimes but I do only do it when traffic is stopped and I don't risk any small gaps, just ain't worth it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

"Ok, go to the back of your car. It's the bit with the tailpipe. A tailpipe is a small metal tube that smells funny when the car is running. Turn the engine on and put your mouth over the tailpipe and breathe in."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

Honestly, I hope his jeep explodes. Mostly because he's dumb, partly because I had 3 seperate people come in and say they need a part for a jeep today alone, but just gave me xj/yj/tj/whateverthefuckj and then look at me expecting to pull something out of my rear end. Then they act like I wouldn't be able to find the right end of a hammer to hold when I make him tell me the year and model because I'm not learning jeep's bullshit. Honda owners can gently caress right off with this too. I don't know specificly what year an EK would be, I don't know off the top of my head what a B16XYZFUCKINGQ came out of and I don't care that you say it'll dust a brand new mustang 350R.

Or maybe it was the idiot with an '03 jeep grand cherokee who insisted I give him straight 40 weight oil for his 4.0 so he could drive it all the way back to oregon and insisted that his friend who totally knows jeeps and drives a bunch of classic ones told him thats what he needs to run in it.

Or maybe it was the idiot last friday who called looking for "brake drums" on a 2005 ford F-150. When I said that I didn't show a result for brake drums and asked them if it was possibly rotors instead, I had to describe what a brake rotor looked like. Then had to ask them how many lugs it had to narrow down WHICH rotor. Which led to explaining what a lug stud was and telling them where to find them. They counted 5. The options are 6 and 7. This person is doing their own brake job. This is the first time I ever ended a coversation with a recommendation for a mechanic without being asked first.

:smithicide:

Yeah, I hope he drinks all the green hi-c that comes out of his radiator.

And people like that are the worst. I refuse to be That Guy at the parts store, if I need a part I ask for it by make/model/year/engine, and if it has a funky year split or aftermarket suppliers are confused about what years their part fits ("this brake rotor fits cherokee laredos until 2000 if they have the 2.5L, but only fits Sport package till 98" no gently caress you it fits all XJs till 99.0 and the new design fits all 99.5 and up) I'll ask for a part a year or two earlier than the point of confusion just to make sure I get the right one. Autozone must think I own 40 cars by now.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I missed the light coming out of my neighborhood because a guy on a motorcycle was just rolling fast enough to not fall over while looking at his cell phone. He looked up to see the light be orange, accelerated, and entered the intersection after it had turned red. He made the left turn and was back on his phone as he lane split the 3 cars in line for the next light a few hundred feet away. I guess it's legal, but whats the point? I hope the GoPro on his helmet captures nothing but evidence.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ignoring the typography, I appreciate the message.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Take out the "on the right" and I'd put that on my bus.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Got hit by another loving cyclist riding down the sidewalk (Number eight!) from behind. Absolutely demolished his front wheel and bent his fork when he hit me. I didn't get anything broken this time but he managed to do it in front of a cop who was waiting at the light as I was about to cross the street. Now he has a nice big ticket to go with his hosed ride...Karma motherfucker!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

FogHelmut posted:

I missed the light coming out of my neighborhood because a guy on a motorcycle was just rolling fast enough to not fall over while looking at his cell phone. He looked up to see the light be orange, accelerated, and entered the intersection after it had turned red. He made the left turn and was back on his phone as he lane split the 3 cars in line for the next light a few hundred feet away. I guess it's legal, but whats the point? I hope the GoPro on his helmet captures nothing but evidence.

I work at a small, independent motorcycle shop and because we don't specialize in anything and will work on just about anything to pay the rent, we see some colorful characters. A few weeks ago I stayed late to work on my own bikes and these young guys came in. They all had mid-2000 1000cc bikes except one kid with a brand new fz07 that we put a new exhaust and power commander on. The fz07 kid was complaining about not being able to keep up past 130mph or something. Then came the fun part. One of the other guys pulls out his phone and starts showing everybody the video he took, on his phone, in his hand, going 140mph down I10.

I really need to get a GoPro so I can show them all my "sick commuting videos" and have them be in awe of only going 10 over and never pulling my cellphone out while moving. Then I'd be one of the cool kids...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

El Jebus posted:

I work at a small, independent motorcycle shop and because we don't specialize in anything and will work on just about anything to pay the rent, [..]
My brother-in-law works for a similar shop out West. He constantly complains about the Chinese scooters that they get in, especially the electrics with the tire bonded permanently to the hub motor :eek:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Got hit by another loving cyclist riding down the sidewalk (Number eight!) from behind. Absolutely demolished his front wheel and bent his fork when he hit me. I didn't get anything broken this time but he managed to do it in front of a cop who was waiting at the light as I was about to cross the street. Now he has a nice big ticket to go with his hosed ride...Karma motherfucker!

What the gently caress kind of city is this?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

nm posted:

yeah i was kinda curious how you get hit by cyclists so often.

and then why you are driving on the sidewalk

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Harvested from reddit:

http://i.imgur.com/OIrwOoC.gifv

:ughh:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Presented without comment:

In other news, on my bicycle commute home today, I was passing a guy who pulled out to pass a girl in front of him at the last moment, without turning his head and checking at all. In fact, he stared kinda 15 degrees to the right at all times. After I passed him I realized it was because he was on his phone, which he held in his right hand.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Tarantula posted:

Yea that's a massive dick move, I do worry about doing that myself sometimes but I do only do it when traffic is stopped and I don't risk any small gaps, just ain't worth it.

Funny you should say this, I just ended up doing it today, so have some video of me doing it (because i'm stuck in a stupid meeting, and imovie is more fun)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7rpFK4fiZA

In my experience, the most dangerous part of lanesplitting is the angry cagers that feel its appropriate to try and mow you down for it.
My commuter has panniers and is pretty wide. You can get by just fine without hitting people if you pay attention. If you do, you're responsible and should take care of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

One of the many where cyclists feel it's okay to ride in a place reserved for pedestrians. I've never actually been hit, but I've had dozens of very close calls. Riding on the sidewalk and not giving way to pedestrians (by which I mean, if you're on a bike on the sidewalk, go walking-speed instead of passing pedestrians) is very irresponsible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

nm posted:

Berkeley California. I don't drive around the city much, everything I need is in walking distance.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Berkeley California. I don't drive around the city much, everything I need is in walking distance.
Not surprised, at all.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What tragedy befell you that you ended up in Berkeley?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here are a couple of different ones from my daily commute. Nothing major, just your everyday idiocy. I would have had more, but misunderstood how the "lock file" button my dashcam works. Apparently you have to press it *twice* to actually lock the video :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP4nzN6pQQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJSqzRQf7i4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUX5pYkZLk8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

People who bike on sidewalks are dumb, and I won't defend it. However, better bike infastructure will generally help with that, even with lovely college studebts.