Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The point was that is specific to Anubis as the attackers have only 1 path they must go through in some manner, and 5 dwarfs can turn it into a shooting gallery while not being at risk of being sniped, reapered, or genji'd. It negates all fo the normal counters since you cannot outrange them, cannot get behind or flank them, and cannot adequately reflect back damage from 10 directions.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/RespectfulBestGordonsetter.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
2-3 junkrats would clown all over the torbjorn team

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RanKizama posted:

So, it was pointed out to me that Pharah apparently doesn't have any actual limbs? Her design has full-on mechanical joints in her knees and other areas to indicate that she must just be a head or torso on an Omnic body.

I'm pretty sure it's just an exo suit

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

GlitchThief posted:

I've been trying to get better as Genji so I can counter Bastion and get some assassination in, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how he plays. I slink around and plink people with my ninja stars. When I'm ready to take on Bastion or when someone is shooting me at medium range, I hit e and charge. After my e wears off, they kill me while I desperately try to eke out a little more damage.

He can combo from his right-click to melee strike to dash to do up to 180 damage depending on how much of it hits. This means if you can get point blank with someone you have a guaranteed deletion on Tracer and Zenyatta. On a ton of other heroes, connect with a left-click first and then the combo will wipe them. Basically you want to save your combo for the killing blow because that dash is also your escape. You don't want to blow it until it's all but guaranteed to replenish itself. If you combo out and then are stuck trying to mop up with shurikens it's going to be really awkward.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Tiggs posted:

Zenyatta basically cuts enemy HP in half, just throw an orb and swing away (from range)

it's +50% damage, not +100%

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Zorodius posted:

the best thing is reflecting High Noon with Genji.

They can't help themselves. They gotta click!

Yup.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Zarya shits on Torbjorn and Torbjorn teams, just shield up and crush the dwarfs between your ever increasingly strong swole arms

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want to group with the Goon Troop

How do I do that

we're already pals so you're basically there

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

GlitchThief posted:

I've been trying to get better as Genji so I can counter Bastion and get some assassination in, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how he plays. I slink around and plink people with my ninja stars. When I'm ready to take on Bastion or when someone is shooting me at medium range, I hit e and charge. After my e wears off, they kill me while I desperately try to eke out a little more damage.

the key to genji is to just mash all your buttons, left click, right click, dash, deflect, melee, right click again, run around like a maniac and up walls and double jump over people and run away and come back later and

yeah actually i have no idea but this is my strategy and i'm sticking to it.

alternatively be like seagull, get a pocket mercy, be good

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The point was that is specific to Anubis as the attackers have only 1 path they must go through in some manner, and 5 dwarfs can turn it into a shooting gallery while not being at risk of being sniped, reapered, or genji'd. It negates all fo the normal counters since you cannot outrange them, cannot get behind or flank them, and cannot adequately reflect back damage from 10 directions.

Lol. I would love to hear how a 5-Torbjorn group would deal with one or two widowmakers and a Reinhardt. There's a reason Blizzard isn't listening to these kinds of ideas.

Edit: Oh and Mei, pro pick against that comp!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tiggs posted:

Zarya shits on Torbjorn and Torbjorn teams, just shield up and crush the dwarfs between your ever increasingly strong swole arms

You can also just Lucio speedboost past the choke on point A through left door with a Reinhardt and completely negate their setup. The issue for lower skilled/ungrouped players is that it's much harder to coordinate this kind of strategy compared to "five dwarves set up shop at the natural chokepoint." Most of the A/D maps have this problem (there isn't a single rally point ala the payload for attackers, while there is a single rally point for defenders), which is only exacerbated by trickle-in respawns.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

GlitchThief posted:

Sounds like you're hitting E too soon? Don't be afraid to run away and disengage, its pretty hard to catch up with genji as most characters.

Anyways if theres no bastion I try to run past and around the enemy team first, put yourself somewhere good to harass and grab health packs. If there is a bastion you can usually just charge at him from around a corner with deflect and he'll kill himself from being too twitchy on the trigger.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just an exo suit
That's the thing though; there is no room for limbs. Her knees and elbows are full-on ball joints.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 24, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RanKizama posted:

That's the thing though; there is no room for limbs. Her knees and elbows are full-on ball joints.

That's probably just an element of stylization, if I had to take a guess. Try and draw the anatomy that Reinhardt would need to fit into his armor comfortably and you'll see what I'm talking about.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The best way to counter a bastion is a Genji because a lot of them will just switch to widowmaker out of shame when they get shot to pieces with their own drat bullets.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
characters in a comic book superhero game have unrealistic anatomy, more news at 11

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I just want like ooooone more second on Zarya's shields. Every time a pubbie doofus gets shielded and just stops in their tracks or worse, RUNS BACK AT ME, I die a thousand deaths. NOT ONE STEP BACK, COMRADE SHITBRAIN.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

RanKizama posted:

no doubt another disturbing secret experiment by Dr.Mercy

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks for the Genji tips, everyone. There's some obvious components of his skillset I was overlooking, so I'm hopeful I'll do much better tonight.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I can tell how bad a solo queue game will be based on how far my allies push out during the "prepare for defense" phase.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

I just want like ooooone more second on Zarya's shields. Every time a pubbie doofus gets shielded and just stops in their tracks or worse, RUNS BACK AT ME, I die a thousand deaths. NOT ONE STEP BACK, COMRADE SHITBRAIN.

Don't shield so early, shield when they're running in and engaging or even better when you see projectiles coming their way

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Apparently two weeks off from this game made me really bad at it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Elderbean posted:

I can tell how bad a solo queue game will be based on how far my allies push out during the "prepare for defense" phase.

Hey guys the points back here.
"BUT I WANT TO SPAWN CAMP THEM!"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

GlitchThief posted:

Thanks for the Genji tips, everyone. There's some obvious components of his skillset I was overlooking, so I'm hopeful I'll do much better tonight.

please don't forget the most important component of his skillset

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

I am only improving the human race by removing its weaknesses. You don't hear Genji complaining do you :colbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

RanKizama posted:

Yeah, she's got cybernetic legs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SiliconX posted:

I hate all you guys for getting actual decent stuff out of loot boxes. I opened up 9 last night and the best I got was the pink skin for Mei (who I don't even play). I didn't even get any victory poses or emotes or voice lines or anything like that. All sprays and player icons. The one epic I did get was currency.

I just know I'm going to have to buy loot boxes :smith:

Yeah the RNG sucks. At least they did a good thing and made the loot box drops consistent for everybody. Random box drops would have been awful. Even TF2 realized that they had to change the drop system to normalize drops so everybody would get one more or less every so often. Knowing you're about to level up and get another box is a good feeling.

And as you get repeat drops you'll get cash to buy whatever you want! (But the good skins are super expensive)

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
I think now is the time to finally play Reaper. I can hide amongst all of the horrible Reapers and figure him out.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Hey guys the points back here.
"BUT I WANT TO SPAWN CAMP THEM!"

Asking people to stay close to the point also draws ire for some reason.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wait i also forgot the other core component of his kit is to spam the "not good enough" voice line to your teammates at every possible opportunity

muda muda

muda muda

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Zzulu posted:

Personally, I hope the tragic backstory behind her cyborg limbs is that her meat limbs weighed too much for her jetpack to be usable and her arms kept dropping her rocket launcher when she hit the boosters anyway so she thought "they'll have to go."

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the RNG sucks. At least they did a good thing and made the loot box drops consistent for everybody. Random box drops would have been awful. Even TF2 realized that they had to change the drop system to normalize drops so everybody would get one more or less every so often. Knowing you're about to level up and get another box is a good feeling.

And as you get repeat drops you'll get cash to buy whatever you want! (But the good skins are super expensive)

Yeah, I know I'll get good stuff eventually.

I also heard that the chance of getting a legendary increases each time you open a loot box until you do get one. Truth?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I played a lot last night. I won some games and lost others. It was a fun time!

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

RanKizama posted:

According the the wiki she is just wearing some kind of 'combat suit'. While it would be possible that she is still missing some libs Im fairly certain that there would be at least some kind of note on there in regards to that.
http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Pharah#Story

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Iron Twinkie posted:

Personally, I hope the tragic backstory behind her cyborg limbs is that her meat limbs weighed too much for her jetpack to be usable and her arms kept dropping her rocket launcher when she hit the boosters anyway so she thought "they'll have to go."

I'm betting she was a regular soldier before, something happened with her mom, and her arms and legs got blown off and that's why she's a bitter, jetpacking, rocket toting badass.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

SiliconX posted:

I also heard that the chance of getting a legendary increases each time you open a loot box until you do get one. Truth?

that's how it work in hearthstone for legendary and epic cards. it was discovered after people bought hundreds of packs and statistically tracked the drop rates. it got confirmed by the devs

we don't know how it work in OW, but someone is probably going to do something similar because nerds

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

RanKizama posted:

Well, rockets do do splash damage, haha.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Nija posted:

I think now is the time to finally play Reaper. I can hide amongst all of the horrible Reapers and figure him out.

1. Teleport behind/above enemy, do not engage unless the enemy is engaged.
2. Press M1.
3. If seen, ghost away.
Bonus - 4. Use your ultimate to wipe out grouped enemies while simultaneously taking a sip from your mountain dew.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SiliconX posted:

No idea, but that's exactly the kind of RNG mitigation that I love to see in game design. Pure RNG sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there a way to play with goons without adding all 300 of you to my friends list?