Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Does the Overwatch client resize anyone else's Chrome browser window? Kinda annoying having to re-maximize it every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Shnooks posted:

Is there a way to play with goons without adding all 300 of you to my friends list?

Discord server in the op

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I think it's a big oversight that Blizzard didn't even allow custom chat channels in Overwatch (let alone guilds, etc)

It kind of sucks finding a pre-made when it has to be done completely outside of the game. That said, join the Discord server in the OP! So many goony goon brethren to play badly with.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

At work, having a blast playing some overwatch

Might stream a few matches later

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Does the pre-order code for Noire Widowmaker come in the game box, or is it something that is sent separately via email? I didn't get anything from Amazon ahead of time, like I usually do with pre-order DLC.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Symmetra is fuckin' strong with proper setup. I'm in love.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Kerrrrrrr posted:

wait i also forgot the other core component of his kit is to spam the "not good enough" voice line to your teammates at every possible opportunity

muda muda

muda muda

:goonsay: He's actually saying "mada mada"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

At work, having a blast playing some overwatch

Might stream a few matches later

Blinking using the RMB is genius.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

HardDisk posted:

Blinking using the RMB is genius.

i have a pro setup as you can see :smug:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Alright, I love her design, but... what is D.va supposed to actually be good at? She's the most mobile of the tanks, certainly, but it doesn't feel like she really leverages that into actually doing that much.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

i have a pro setup as you can see :smug:

you really should consider reloading tho.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
She can buzz around and be annoying but mostly she sucks.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Lord of Hats posted:

Alright, I love her design, but... what is D.va supposed to actually be good at? She's the most mobile of the tanks, certainly, but it doesn't feel like she really leverages that into actually doing that much.

loving up snipers

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

agreed, however that's still not a good reason to allow multiple instances of a character in a game with 21 of them.

the most fun games are when its all different characters so there are the most variables at play

A pre-made of 5 RH and 1 bastion on payload attack says otherwise.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Against a team that doesn't know how to react she's ok. Her ulti is very, very situational but can be good for area denial or control point takeover - she's really predictable and easy to LOS unless you have something else like a Mei or Zarya ult or no one is paying attention to you.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Omnikin posted:

Symmetra is fuckin' strong with proper setup. I'm in love.

I tried her out and was totally ineffective. Someone playing her on the other team was getting very creative with turret placement so I can see how she could be really amazing, I just don't have the feel for her yet.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Agrias120 posted:

Does the pre-order code for Noire Widowmaker come in the game box, or is it something that is sent separately via email? I didn't get anything from Amazon ahead of time, like I usually do with pre-order DLC.

Mine came in the box. So its less a pre-order bonus, and more a first pressing bonus.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Wacky Delly posted:

Mine came in the box. So its less a pre-order bonus, and more a first pressing bonus.

Awesome, thanks! My game just got delivered but I'm stuck at work for a few more hours.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

Sneak around and zoom into the enemy flank like the worlds fattest neon pink ninja

Grammaton posted:

I tried her out and was totally ineffective. Someone playing her on the other team was getting very creative with turret placement so I can see how she could be really amazing, I just don't have the feel for her yet.

Symmetra is best when you are spamming all of her abilities all over the place like a sneaky rear end in a top hat. She's not designed to hole up, she's designed to make the other team lose skirmishes that they don't realize are going badly until it's too late. Never stop moving, never stop playing turrets. They're very disposable and you get more quickly for a reason.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 24, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Fly around flanking opposing teams, and always remember to through up your shield once you attract focused fire. Fly back to your team once that goes down, rinse, repeat, then explode the suit

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The Lord of Hats posted:

Jet everyone off the point, gently caress up anyone that gets too close, win any 1v1 you want with good shield use. Snipe people with your plasma pistol. Ez game.

Mostly played as her last night, and she definitely takes some getting used to. Main difficulty curve comes from positioning, both wrt boosting and being close enough to do damage.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
D.Va is good on Lijiang Tower Garden and Night Market, but I haven't really found any other maps I like her on.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Oh poo poo, I'm a moron. Since she's classified as a Tank, I thought D.Va was supposed to be all marching down the front lines like a Reinhardt or something, but she's actually a harasser!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I left maybe 3 or 4 games prematurely over the course of 3 hours and got a -75%xp penalty that lasts for an hour.

Admittedly, those were ragequits, but gee Blizzard, sometimes people have other poo poo to do and need to leave before the game ends ...

Well, next time I'll just idle for 15 seconds and get kicked.
I wonder what the penalty for that will be.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why are there two threads

Because :razz:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Grammaton posted:

Yeah, as you play the maps more you'll get a better feel for turret placement. The teleporter really is a game-changer. As the enemy, those turrets are unbelievably annoying.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Jet everyone off the point, gently caress up anyone that gets too close, win any 1v1 you want with good shield use. Snipe people with your plasma pistol. Ez game.

Mostly played as her last night, and she definitely takes some getting used to. Main difficulty curve comes from positioning, both wrt boosting and being close enough to do damage.

Also an excellent use of her talents.

I am always surprised by how good her pistol is.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
mccree is a plague on this game

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

mcbexx posted:

I left maybe 3 or 4 games prematurely over the course of 3 hours and got a -75%xp penalty that lasts for an hour.

Admittedly, those were ragequits, but gee Blizzard, sometimes people have other poo poo to do and need to leave before the game ends ...

maybe quit ragequitting games if you want hats, you gigantic baby

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Minrad posted:

mccree is a plague on this game

Mccree is the character I switch to when my team sucks and I'm getting pissed off.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hi gang, I made a post complaining about losing

it turns out if your party is 5 other goons you lose, but if you play with real life friends the game is a lot more lighthearted and you win a lot LOT more!

just some tips from your friend,

happy overwatch day!

remember: inspect other randoms profiles, and if they don't play primarily support and have average kills per round under 10, maybe find another teammate unless they are cool and fun to play with!

that's another pro tip from Mort's "How to Have Fun and Win at Overwatch" class!

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Any idea if I could get some performance improvements in this game by upgrading from my Radeon 6850? Computer's coming up on 5 years old but I don't feel like going all out and building a new rig just yet. Am I going to be mostly limited by my AMD Phenom II X4? (Yeah, I know. AMD.)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

mcbexx posted:

If you have other poo poo to do then the penalty won't matter

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gigawhite posted:

Any idea if I could get some performance improvements in this game by upgrading from my Radeon 6850? Computer's coming up on 5 years old but I don't feel like going all out and building a new rig just yet. Am I mostly limited by my AMD Phenom II? (Yeah, I know. AMD.)

Very, very few games are CPU-bound these days so odds are upgrading the Radeon is all you have to do. There is a chance you're draw call limited because of the CPU but probably not, and then potentially things like Mantle or Vulkan can even get around that somewhat.

Thing is if you're going to do a new rig you'll probably want a new card too yeah? So I'd say upgrade the new card first, you'll probably be able to turn some settings up, and then later you can upgrade the mobo+CPU and keep the same GPU upgrade you'd been using.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gigawhite posted:

Any idea if I could get some performance improvements in this game by upgrading from my Radeon 6850? Computer's coming up on 5 years old but I don't feel like going all out and building a new rig just yet. Am I going to be mostly limited by my AMD Phenom II X4? (Yeah, I know. AMD.)

yes and yes

Nvidia has new cards out in a month, upgrade cpu now for biggest increase in overall computer function

Zaphod42 posted:

Very, very few games are CPU-bound these days

:laffo:

what in the world? 99% of online games are cpu-bound...

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
This game really needs a plain deathmatch mode so solostars Reaper, Genji and McCree who don't want to stand on the points can actually be useful.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Gilok posted:

Apparently two weeks off from this game made me really bad at it.

same

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Please help, I love this game but have played like one FPS game ever and my aim is total poo poo, but I want to be able to play and enjoy characters who aren't Symmetra and Winston. Is there some way to effectively practice to improve my aim? Even as characters everyone recommends for beginners like Reaper, people run circles around me and I'm not quick enough turning around/get disoriented with all the spinning so they kill me.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Please help, I love this game but have played like one FPS game ever and my aim is total poo poo, but I want to be able to play and enjoy characters who aren't Symmetra and Winston. Is there some way to effectively practice to improve my aim? Even as characters everyone recomments for beginners like Reaper, people run circles around me and I'm not quick enough turning around/get disoriented with all the spinning so they kill me.

practice shooting the dartboard in the waiting area on Anubis. Really though, the only way to get better at aiming is by lots of determined practice. The other thread had a discussion about mouse sensitivity. I lowered mine on that advice and I've been much more accurate in general.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Please help, I love this game but have played like one FPS game ever and my aim is total poo poo, but I want to be able to play and enjoy characters who aren't Symmetra and Winston. Is there some way to effectively practice to improve my aim? Even as characters everyone recommends for beginners like Reaper, people run circles around me and I'm not quick enough turning around/get disoriented with all the spinning so they kill me.

Aim with your arm, not your wrist, is probably the only thing that's down to technique. The rest is just learning.

You could also play heroes like Pharah where a near miss is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Try lowering your sensitivity and just play more Mcree.