Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Did this guy design a message mimic

Nope. Didn't make a ragdoll mimic either. He did make this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Geop posted:

I tried this after this session thinking "HEH, I'VE GOT A PLAN" and yeah. The fact that normal arrows don't set 'em off really frazzled me :( I'm sure special arrows are likely able to do the job, but I was banking on an easier solution for the time being.

Oh well, there are other solutions, but that's for another session.

the weakest arrows are in-universe :effort: - by which i mean they are pathetic compared to regular arrows and don't even cost that much less.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So I never realized how appropriate the YT thumbnails for this episode are. Goonther, crestfallen on his knees, thinking "Again?!"

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

CuwiKhons posted:

He probably did. It had to have come from where he was. Maybe he hit it by accident and sent it rolling while he was scrabbling around in the dirt.

The area he's digging in is a rather Boulder shaped hole, isn't it? He probably rolled it out of the way so he could look behind it.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Hey Vicas, when are you gonna play this game with your feet?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Wooden arrows and bolts don't break things. Standard ones will, as will throwing knives.

You might have already visited some of the places this can help in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant decide if geop is cursed to always be looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time or if he's just incredibly tunnelvisioned.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh no, it's not just Geop, this game actively tries to gently caress you over by having things blindside you from outside your field of vision. Every time I prepare to open a chest I walk up to it and then spin around 180, wait a few seconds to make sure nothing's stalking me from behind.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geop, you're doing flawlessly. Anytime you get in a situation you don't like, turn right around and exit the area unless you find yourself stuck behind a fog door.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Geop just run through the area the first time until you die once you know your surroundings, then summon phantoms to get you to the boss

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Geop just run through the area the first time until you die once you know your surroundings, then summon phantoms to get you to the boss

That sounds like it would be amazingly boring to watch.

Hell, that sounds like it would be amazingly boring for Geop and company, too.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

As much as Geop understands and values the whole loneliness aspect of the game, I do hope he makes use of the new SotFS guest star phantoms. The ones that have neat humanizing behavior and appear through small white signs.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Goonther should help people with co-op then relying on it himself

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Geop keep an eye out for npc summons. There's a number of friendly npcs around doing their own thing in Drangleic and they have their own story lines that you have to advance in various ways, one of them being "summon this npc to help you in certain bosses". Kind of like what was in the first game, but expanded a bit. The npc summons aren't that overpowered so the fun should still be there and they could serve as a good showcase on jolly cooperation. You may also get some fun extra loot if all goes right.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't know. There are a few places I still haven't been able to do without co-op. Some parts of this game aren't 100% friendly to soloers, for a variety of reasons (we're already seeing that with the large number of multi-enemy mobs).

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Junkozeyne posted:

If you can't lock on to it, it's not an enemy (with the exception of guys playing dead) :eng101:

RareAcumen posted:

HE WAS COMING RIGHT AT ME I SWEAR!

I think it was the boulder that spooked me so I wasn't taking any chances.

Didn't have to go through the whole conversation thing so that's good I suppose.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Progress? BOOM made me laugh far too much. That was just perfect timing.

Also I did the exact same thing at that ladder section. Oh gently caress it's a dragon syndrome.

Glad that jerk managed to bomb the wall down, that's something you wouldn't want to miss.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Migishu posted:

I think it was the boulder that spooked me so I wasn't taking any chances.

Didn't have to go through the whole conversation thing so that's good I suppose.

So what, does he just have one HP? I'd assume after you first started hitting him he'd say something.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I like how they lock several items behind NPC's dialogue, but yea it can kind of drag when you're trying to make a video and don't want to stand around listening to a dude for 3 minutes. Also geop isn't wearing any rings? I thought he picked one as his gift and should have got another one from the crestfallen bro in Majula?

The Small White Soapstone is really neat, I hope they figure out a way to use it every once in a while without stalling/spoiling geop's own progress too much. Unlike a regular soapstone, the small one only lets you be summoned for a certain amount of time and/or until you do some amount of damage to the host world's enemies. The reward is getting turned back human and recharging your Estus and magic charges. It's super helpful to drop one down after every few deaths but I don't know if it would really work in a 'blind' LP since half the time the host would just run straight to the boss door anyway...

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
It also gives you smooth, gives you silky.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you feel like topping up your health off screen, dropping a small white soapstone at the first Heide's bonfire only requires you to murder 3 or so of those stone knights, unless SotFS changed something

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

RareAcumen posted:

What about dog knights?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

nah it's still missing something, something blighty

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Looper posted:

Each of the glowing bits you have to hit is a mimic, and if it kills you sends you to Blightcity.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

So what, does he just have one HP? I'd assume after you first started hitting him he'd say something.

I pretty much one shotted him considering my gear at the time (it was super late game by that time). I may have 2 shotted just spamming the button to kill him.

I'm not great at souls games.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Looper posted:

It runs at 15 frames per second.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Migishu posted:

I pretty much one shotted him considering my gear at the time (it was super late game by that time). I may have 2 shotted just spamming the button to kill him.

I'm not great at souls games.

If they didn't want to be killed, they should've worn something bright so we'd recognize that they're not enemies. It's not your fault.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think all NPCs should wear reflective vests to minimize tragedies like this in Drangleic.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

The Dark Id posted:

It runs at 15 frames per second.

...Because of all the Wheel Skeletons that spawn every second.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

I like how they lock several items behind NPC's dialogue, but yea it can kind of drag when you're trying to make a video and don't want to stand around listening to a dude for 3 minutes. Also geop isn't wearing any rings? I thought he picked one as his gift and should have got another one from the crestfallen bro in Majula?

The Small White Soapstone is really neat, I hope they figure out a way to use it every once in a while without stalling/spoiling geop's own progress too much. Unlike a regular soapstone, the small one only lets you be summoned for a certain amount of time and/or until you do some amount of damage to the host world's enemies. The reward is getting turned back human and recharging your Estus and magic charges. It's super helpful to drop one down after every few deaths but I don't know if it would really work in a 'blind' LP since half the time the host would just run straight to the boss door anyway...

Dark Souls 3 removed the small soapstone and I really miss it. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls 3 removed a lot of good improvements in 2.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

It also gives you smooth, gives you silky.

Yah, yah!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Can somoene shop the Goonthur helmet on Jimmy here?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I suck at this but:

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Golden Goat posted:

I suck at this but:

And Vicas announced: Welcome to the Bone Zone!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Uhhhhh spoilers?? We don't know if there are skeleton enemies in this game yet. Or the Catarina helmet. Or scuba gear?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Kubo already spoiled the blue tunic it's fine

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Uhhhhh spoilers?? We don't know if there are skeleton enemies in this game yet. Or the Catarina helmet. Or scuba gear?

Oh come on. This is Dark Souls. We ALL know they put an air tank and fins somewhere in the late game.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Has a Souls game ever had an underwater area? Can no one at FROM swim?

VodeAndreas posted:

Dark Souls 3 removed the small soapstone and I really miss it. :(

SWS is most useful to me to remove the HP penalty from repeated deaths, which DS3 doesn't do (I think? Haven't actually played it yet) so I guess it isn't as necessary as in this game. Still, it was really nice to have a way to do a quick co-op run without being locked in until either you, the host or the area boss dies.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
For what it's worth, Geop, count me in the group of people mildly sad about YouTube-only videos. It's a little more cumbersome to download from there, and the 60fps recording was quite nice for the one episode in which we got to see it. And, well, if I like a video LP enough to watch it, I download and archive the episodes. Was in the middle of rewatching your Dark Souls LP when this one began, actually, and I've got the Wind Waker LP sitting on my computer waiting for the day when I bother to put it on a couple Blu-ray discs and (literally) shelve it for a while.

Now, I was all ready to accept your lack of webhosting with a welp and a sigh, but then an idea occurred to me:

Bittorrent.

Given sgtsnookums' estimate of about 600 people downloading your hosted videos, even if half don't switch to a torrent download, that's still a very healthy population for P2P distribution. And I know, given my own habits, that I could comfortably continue seeding the entire set of videos for a year after the LP is concluded. As for listing the torrent, Mininova made a switch to all legal, non-copyrighted content a few years ago, and they even have a "Video Demonstrations" subsection in their Games category. (It has 35 torrents right now. We would end up taking it over.) I'd be happy to figure out all the frustrating little technical details, if you're willing to try out this method.

Just a thought, and one I wanted to share publicly to gauge how much support it had from other people reading the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Takes No Damage posted:

SWS is most useful to me to remove the HP penalty from repeated deaths, which DS3 doesn't do (I think? Haven't actually played it yet) so I guess it isn't as necessary as in this game. Still, it was really nice to have a way to do a quick co-op run without being locked in until either you, the host or the area boss dies.

In DS3 you get 30% max health penalty from dying once. It actually isn't that bad and the game showers you with embers (aka human effigies) so unless you're incredibly bad and always use an ember immediately after dying and then die again, you should be fine. Of course, there are the co-op/pvp options on top of that all.

Also when I think of a possible underwater area in the From Software Game, I think of the dam level in TMNT, but in 3rd person 3D.

• Locked thread