Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Slovakia Our Slovakia sounds like a patriotic song or anthem.
Finland The Finns sounds more like a 70s band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

and yesterday this happened in the Austrian presidential election:

Is UKIP not on this map because the UK isn't in Europe or because the BBC doesn't want to be accused of bias?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's because UKIP manage to avoid being nationalist by the technicality that the UK barely qualifies as a 'nation'.

They could have put the English Democrats on there though. Or the SNP :can:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I think that graph is mistaking populism for nationalism.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Count Roland posted:

I for one use an elborate bookmark system with many folders and subfolders. I hate typing poo poo, but when I do its in my firefox that is so heavily customized I can't even upgrade it to the current version anymore. I'd rather have my custom search bar than be able to view youtube.

Source your quotes.

Badger of Basra posted:

Is UKIP not on this map because the UK isn't in Europe or because the BBC doesn't want to be accused of bias?

The latter, I guess; the BBC have an instinctive pro-government (and pro-government ideology) bias because, even though they're officially independent from the government's ideology, they're scared to poo poo of having their funding cut the next time the Royal Charter comes around.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The Finns are terrible but it's not really accurate to lump them in with Golden Dawn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

doverhog posted:

The Finns are terrible
Not all of them surely?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

The Finns are terrible but it's not really accurate to lump them in with Golden Dawn.

Yeah, they should be lumped together with NSDAP.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yeah let's invent a new color just for the Czechs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Slovakia Our Slovakia sounds like a patriotic song or anthem.
Finland The Finns sounds more like a 70s band.

Jobbik sounds like a slang term from A Clockwork Orange.

e: it is clearly supposed to be a map of Bad Parties, because only the far right can truly be nationalist, I guess. I'm surprised there's no Vlaams Belang.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 24, 2016

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

duckmaster posted:

In the 19th century the main powers surrounding Persia were the British, the Ottomans and the Russians. The language of diplomacy at the time was French; if the British communicated with the Russians they did it in French, if the Ottomans spoke to the Persians they did it in French, and so on. Since Persia managed to retain its independence (for the most part) they played a delicate game of trying to please everyone without upsetting anyone else, which meant a lot of diplomacy which was of course all in French. Thus, French became the language of the Persian aristocracy and upper classes. Persia founded its first university in the mid-19th century and since all the educated people spoke French already they just borrowed the new words they learnt and inserted them straight into Farsi. Many words in French are very similar in English, and remain similar in Farsi - décembre/December/desāmbr for example, but many are completely copied from French. 'Reinforced concrete' is béton armé in French and bétonārmé in Farsi, and they refer to Germany as ālmān, far more similar to the French Allemagne than the English.

I'm sceptical that there's more French being learnt in Iran than English nowadays, but they've got history for it at least.

It's amazing to think that the 19th century was really just a load of highly educated foreigners speaking French to each other, although I suppose that's what the UN is like these days (in English).

Can confirm, went to french school in the US with Pahlavi grandkids, even the former Libyan royal house sent their kid to french school.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Tei posted:

Is amazing how a european city map looks like a spider web on drugs

Say hello to Atlanta.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

D.N. Nation posted:

Say hello to Atlanta.

I only see two streets called "Peachtree" here, so I'm not 100% convinced this is Atlanta.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

CellBlock posted:

I only see two streets called "Peachtree" here, so I'm not 100% convinced this is Atlanta.

I also expected Atlanta to have more MLK Rd and Blvds.

tehchekt
May 7, 2007
something cool and profound

D.N. Nation posted:

Say hello to Atlanta.

Boston chuckles

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Phlegmish posted:

Jobbik sounds like a slang term from A Clockwork Orange.

e: it is clearly supposed to be a map of Bad Parties, because only the far right can truly be nationalist, I guess. I'm surprised there's no Vlaams Belang.

I am amused by the fact Orbans conservatives are not considered "bad", then.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

xilni posted:

Reminder that Atlanta is still in Georgia.

edit:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tehchekt posted:

Boston chuckles

But you just posted a map that's mostly Brookline...

Peanut President posted:

edit:

Meanwhile in Queens, it can get quite confusing when you say you're at the corner of 60th and 60th:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fishmech posted:

Meanwhile in Queens, it can get quite confusing when you say you're at the corner of 60th and 60th:

I love this map because it's such a horrible case for "street name matching" algorithms.

"Yeah, I live at the corner of 60th St and 60th Dr. To get here you'll want to turn down 60th Ln and take a left on 60th Dr. If you see a sign for 60th Rd or 60th Ave, you'll have to turn around because you've gone too far. Anyway, I'm on the left side of the street before the intersection. Be careful though, because you'll pass one street on your left, 60th Pl, before you get to my house."

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Peanut President posted:

edit:

Well I assumed Atlanta was more Atlanta than Georgia.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

fishmech posted:

"I live on 60th Place, not 60th Street or Avenue or Road or Lane or Drive!"
"...Which 60th Place?"

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Immediately outside of the uptown grid - which, mind you, is tilted a perfect 45 degrees - Charlotte devolves into a non-Euclidean horror worthy of Lovecraft.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

ekuNNN posted:

and yesterday this happened in the Austrian presidential election:

Missing the Norwegian Fremskrittspartiet, which is currently the junior member in our government coalition with 16.3%.

I expect this number to go up as our Eastern neighbours continue on their current path.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There are other places in Queens where the street numbering means you get a lot of repeated numbers right next to each other, but the 60th area has the most streets with the same number crossing with each other the most times. Most of the time it's just like, say, a single block with a 30th *whatever* on each side

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CellBlock posted:

The Yellow street running north-south (one way north) and meeting Peachtree St NE near the top of the map is actually "West Peachtree St" so there are three.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

xilni posted:

Atlanta has a fairly long MLK Drive that goes from Oakland Cemetery, through Downtown, past a handful of HBCUs, and out to I-285 and beyond. It doesn't pass by his birth home or Ebenezer Baptist, interestingly.

MLK Drive is just above the E-W Interstate on this map – I-20, which largely separates Atlanta down racial lines in public consciousness.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

xilni posted:

Well I assumed Atlanta was more Atlanta than Georgia.

You'd be wrong.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

fishmech posted:

loving hell

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kurtofan posted:

loving hell

If you're interested in why this happened, there's this http://stevemorse.org/census/changes/QueensFormat.htm and also this one, for a look at how people took the numbering scheme back when first implemented: http://www.junipercivic.com/historyArticle.asp?nid=74

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

The BBC: Where Northern Cyprus is a separate country, but Montenegro and Kosovo aren't.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

fishmech posted:

There are other places in Queens where the street numbering means you get a lot of repeated numbers right next to each other, but the 60th area has the most streets with the same number crossing with each other the most times. Most of the time it's just like, say, a single block with a 30th *whatever* on each side

Most of these places are industrial wastelands, I drive through one of them all the time and it never gets less confusing

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

D.N. Nation posted:

Atlanta has a fairly long MLK Drive that goes from Oakland Cemetery, through Downtown, past a handful of HBCUs, and out to I-285 and beyond. It doesn't pass by his birth home or Ebenezer Baptist, interestingly.

MLK Drive is just above the E-W Interstate on this map – I-20, which largely separates Atlanta down racial lines in public consciousness.
Politically loaded because Stone Mountain, home to a carving of a bunch of goddamn racists, appears to be overwhelmingly African-American?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Rich people love curves that break sight lines.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

loving hell

at least they have a wendy's close by.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Plinkey posted:

at least they have a wendy's close by.

A Wendy's you'll never be able to find once you get stuck in the vortex of "60th".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Maybe this is a Europe/America thing but I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing on those Google maps. Roads with similar names? Near where I live there's a Cleveden Road, a Cleveden Place, Cleveden Gdns, Cleveden Drive, Cleveden Lane, Cleveden Crescent, and Cleveden Crescent Lane.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Reveilled posted:

Maybe this is a Europe/America thing but I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing on those Google maps. Roads with similar names?

Yeah, a bunch of streets that are named nearly identically, all intersecting each other and running parallel to each other. It's confusing to anyone not familiar with the area, which kinda defeats the purpose of streets having names.

Reveilled posted:

Near where I live there's a Cleveden Road, a Cleveden Place, Cleveden Gdns, Cleveden Drive, Cleveden Lane, Cleveden Crescent, and Cleveden Crescent Lane.

:psyduck:

poo poo, and i thought it was kind of confusing that my home city has a bunch of numbered streets on one side of town, and a bunch of numbered avenues on the other.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 25, 2016

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rah! posted:

Yeah, a bunch of streets that are named nearly identically, all intersecting each other and running parallel to each other. It's confusing to anyone not familiar with the area, which kinda defeats the purpose of streets having names.

:psyduck:

poo poo, and i thought it was kind of confusing that my home city has a bunch of numbered streets on one side of town, and a bunch of numbered avenues on the other.

EDIT: Cleveden Gardens is just south of Winton Drive, a little off the bottom of the map.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kalstrams posted:

loving hell.

Burn it all down and start over, some 12 year old hosed up bad at SimCity.