Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

Few things are more frustrating than being asked for help and advice and then being 100% ignored.

kastein posted:

The term for someone like this is "askhole" BTW.

And that is why I refuse to give people advice on what car or computer to buy anymore :v:

E: I really need to quit this sniping habit it can't be good for my health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well a year ago today we got our furry little arsehole affectionately known as Isaac.

Since then he's failed to cat and broke his leg getting off a table, treated us to months of squirtybum trying to diagnose his grain intolerance, managed to scare the poo poo out of himself when he snuck out of the house and the door closed behind him and now he's stolen my bloody recliner in front of the fire.

Happy one year anniversary arsehat cat.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

First World Car Problems:

New England Dragway say I have to wear a helmet in my new Challenger because it runs under 14s 1/4 miles and I can't take a passenger. My R34 back in the UK would run 12s and I didn't need a helmet or any issues with passengers at Santa Pod. So I need to run slower so I can take the wife on a few trips down the drag strip :allbuttons:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The best cats are the jerk cats.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the BMW thread:

So a buddy of mine has a 95 M3, I've posted some pictures of it recently. It has a recently rebuilt 5-speed. While under the car yesterday, he saw a couple of drops from the drain plug. Like a genius, he grabbed the nearest tool, a breaker car, and proceeded to overtighten the plug and create a hairline fracture.

He has some JB Weld on it for now but we're trying to figure out what the best fix is.

More JB Weld?
Actually welding the housing?
Replacing the aft portion of the transmission housing?
Crush the car?

Hell of a lesson to learn.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Replace the housing and laugh at him weeping into his empty wallet.

E: having it rebuilt into a new case I suppose.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Skip the middle man and throw his wallet into a fire. That's inside the car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

we're trying to figure out what the best fix is.

Get a bunch of $.56 crush washers and shove them down his throat until he chokes on them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I want to get a cat but my wife won't let me because she thinks they're creepy

"I don't like how they just show up out of nowhere and how they don't want to hang out all the time like dogs" is her reasoning. I get it since she's really anxious but cmon girl

I mean I guess I can get another puppy or adopt an older dog but I want a kitty

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

I want to get a car but my wife won't let me because she thinks they're creepy

"I don't like how they just show up out of nowhere and how they don't want to hang out all the time like dogs" is her reasoning. I get it since she's really anxious but cmon girl

I mean I guess I can get another puppy or adopt an older dog but I want a kitty

Quoted before edit.

I agree, cars are creepy.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

gently caress

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
In TT's defense "I don't like how they just show up out of nowhere" is probably a fairly common complaint about cars from an SO around these parts

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

meatpimp posted:

Quoted before edit.

I agree, cars are creepy.

Yeah, I saw a Mustang yesterday and it just had this look like it was plotting something...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Yeah, I saw a Mustang yesterday and it just had this look like it was plotting something...

Mowing down pedestrians, or complaining about black people in movie theaters?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Dagen H posted:

Mowing down pedestrians, or complaining about black people in movie theaters?

All I can tell you is that I no longer felt comfortable walking on the sidewalk.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

Get a bunch of $.56 crush washers and shove them down his throat until he chokes on them.

This is the correct answer. Make sure to smack him between feedings.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tusen Takk posted:

All my cats do is hang out all the time. If I'm in the bedroom, they're both in the bedroom. If I go into the living room, hey, guess what, "Oh, I guess I want to be in the living room now too. Don't mind me, I'll be over here in the corner. Oh, wait, you're watching Youtube on your phone? Let me get in on that poo poo." They act like it's no big deal, like it's a coincidence that they follow you from room to room.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Mustangs are a special case due to their thirst for bystander blood.

I want one dog and one cat. Because one of each is always the best way to go.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it managed to hold air but :eyepop:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tusen Takk posted:

At least there was a washer on it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lawnmower chat: I'm moving in July (i need to get a mobile cool shirt setup working stat) and i need to mow the lawn

find something off of CL or just grab a toro/honda from lowe depot and go nuts?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tusen Takk posted:

no lock washer, 2/5

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

no lock washer, 2/5
Maybe they used locktite, 3/5

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Prepainted vinyl window screw that's not a Robertson drive 1/5.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

lawnmower chat: I'm moving in July (i need to get a mobile cool shirt setup working stat) and i need to mow the lawn

Get a used gas mower cheap, or if you go new might as well get an electric.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So my folks, seeing as they're now both retired, have decided to trade in their Volvos (XC90 and 850 wagon) with 600kkm between them for a boring new Octavia. Rationally, it makes tons of sense, but it'll mark the first time since 1983 when the household had zero Volvos. At least the Octavia is red. edit: and a wagon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bolind posted:

So my folks, seeing as they're now both retired, have decided to trade in their Volvos (XC90 and 850 wagon) with 600kkm between them for a boring new Octavia. Rationally, it makes tons of sense, but it'll mark the first time since 1983 when the household had zero Volvos. At least the Octavia is red. edit: and a wagon.

Obviously your parents have been replaced by replicants.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You didn't mention it so it's not a VRS, is it? :/

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I tried to push for the 220hp one but I think my old man already was getting tunnel vision in the 1.4. At least the sales guy pushed for xenons.

I'm looking forward to see what the VAG curse will be like this time around. I urged them to get the extended warranty.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ilkhan posted:

I'm wearing 541s. They fit well and have enough thigh room for me. Be nice to have a little more lower leg taper, but they are ok as is.
I'll give them a shot

leica posted:

I change the oil in my Toro once every two years. It's about ten years old now and I'm still waiting for it to poo poo so I can get an electric mower and be done with gas powered lawn tools for good.
Bought a new mower last spring, should have went electric but oh well. I'll probably replace my weed wacker and leaf blower with electric this or next year, they don't get used much and mixing small batches of gas is stupid.

Negromancer posted:

Any suggestions for any software to help design a small building? I am trying to finalize the design for a 10x10ft detached office I am building in my backyard, and just wanted something other than graph paper. I was messing around with sketchup, but it just seems overkill for what I want and I can't quite wrap my head around it. I should probably also figure out somewhere to post my basic plans just to be sure I am not being stupid, though I am pretty sure I am going to over build it.
If you just want layout type stuff floorplanner.com is pretty good. Otherwise sketchup or autocad are what I use for basic framing type stuff.

MrChips posted:

New Sheep Game time ahoy!
Click the sheep in the Subaru and follow your dreams...

Also, something interesting for this Sheep Game - through the generosity of the folks at Camshaft Software, I have been given a Steam key for Automation: The Car Company Tycoon Game to give to the winner of this edition!
YES

Phone posted:

Holy poo poo cool shirt for mowing, genius. I had one setup for motorcycle touring but never though to use it for yard bullshit. I watched CL and pawn shops for a while but ended up getting something from Lowes with a three year warranty. If I was doing it again I would have bought electric.

Spent a long weekend in WI visiting my parents and racing. Got to play with this little monster, 3 months old and 31lb. Now I really really want a dog :argh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Did an actual maintenance thing last night. I've been running on the same oil for like 9000 miles, checked it last night and it was off the dipstick. One quart brought it to dead center of the healthy range though, so it must have been borderline and I'm not too worried about it.

Oil looked pretty drat clean for that mileage too, I guess having modern oil in an engine that was thoroughly cleaned before I swapped it in helps with that.

Still need to change it but v:v:v

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Oh, and I saw an honest to God Subaru Levorg in the wild today. I kinda want one. Too bad it's auto-only.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bolind posted:

Oh, and I saw an honest to God Subaru Levorg in the wild today. I kinda want one. Too bad it's auto-only.

Ur a bus Grovel.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My upstairs neighbors discovered that, if you pay a contractor money, they will annoy me with a hammer drill all day long.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Random ramble here.

Its hot as balls out. Its hot as balls in. I'm too cheap to run my AC, so I'm just sweating it out.

That is all.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Siochain posted:

Random ramble here.

Its hot as balls out. Its hot as balls in. I'm too cheap to run my AC, so I'm just sweating it out.

That is all.

The one very minor benefit of my condo is that I don't directly pay for electricity since it's bundled in with my condo fees, consequently I run my A/C even if I'm not at home when it's hot out.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ssjonizuka posted:

Is the cam still in one piece?

I checked, and yes. I think the cam sprocket just decided that space and time were immaterial and moved on its own. That or the stupid distributor jammed and it jumped, and the timing belt will disintegrate and some random point in the future.

Even 10 years on and 4 GTXs later, I still marvel that it has mechanical advance AND a knock computer. And 2 years later the same engine had a cam angle sensor and coilpacks, but no knock sensor.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

The one very minor benefit of my condo is that I don't directly pay for electricity since it's bundled in with my condo fees, consequently I run my A/C even if I'm not at home when it's hot out.

Whatup condo life buddy. On the other hand,

Safety Dance posted:

My upstairs neighbors discovered that, if you pay a contractor money, they will annoy me with a hammer drill all day long.

the contractors above me have switched to arhythmically banging on the plumbing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't mind the renovation thing if you knock that poo poo off at 9pm. I really don't need to hear you installing floor at 1am.

I mostly credit it for making me realize that while I like the conceptual idea of not being involved in property maintenance, the reality is I'm probably going to be pissed at what the condo board's and contractor's definition of "job done" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Safety Dance posted:

On a similar note, they are building new houses just behind my house and every loving morning they spend around an hour and a half from 7am getting all the deliveries for the day, moving the plant around (seemingly constantly in reverse so it beeps or talks) and shuffling building materials about into the car park so they are not in the way (till it all goes back behind the fence at 4pm). By about 8:30am it goes almost silent once everybody is actually working (They must be close to second fix now so the actual work isnt very noisy).

• Locked thread