Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If your entire OS is freezing consistently and the problem occurs across more than one program it's almost certainly either a hardware or driver problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
I've tried to keep up with all the posts, so sorry if I missed this...

...but the combination of boulder toss and whatever pyromancy creates the lava pool has turned out to be pretty money in PvP for me. The boulder has a hitbox that stuns for a moment, saving me from getting sword spammed, and if they take a direct hit they end up flat on their back, which let me blow them up fast after that.

Surprised quite a few people on the post-pontiff dueling grounds last night.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

My favorite part about Dancer is the stupid lingering hitbox on her retarded grab. Nothing like safely rolling through her grab and then being vacuumed into her hand well after it's past you.

e: Grabs in general have really poo poo hitboxes, but at least it's not as bad as DS2 Mimics where you could stand to their side and get grabbed by them as they lunge forward.

yeah. now you can be literally behind the mimic when they grab and it'll still get you!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

If your entire OS is freezing consistently and the problem occurs across more than one program it's almost certainly either a hardware or driver problem.

How do I figure it out.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

BexGu posted:

How accessible is this game if you've never played anything in the Dark Souls series?

It's aggressively tuned for veterans of the series, and much of the story will be baffling without having played the first one.

Boogiewoogie
Jan 10, 2012

Erm a prerter prerncers! Erm a prerter prerncers!

Tykero posted:

Unless you crafted the Yhorm's Greatshield or ate Yhorm's soul, you should still be able to craft the weapon as soon as you kill the Curse-rotted Greatwood.
Edit: Also what system are you on?

Welp knew I forgot something, I'm on the PS4 (PSN: Kamidamaru). I already crafted the greatshield for dick-value in pvp so it's either running through till profaned or hoping someone has a copy of it they don't need.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

MonsterEnvy posted:

How do I figure it out.
1) Update video drivers if not already updated.
2) Check CPU and GPU temps to see if either is overheating (google for programs to show these.) If it is it's probably just a heatsink full of dust you need to clean out.
3) If it's only 3D games that cause the freeze my guess is some misc video card hardware problem. Try switching to your motherboard's integrated video or another card if you have one laying around and see if it goes away. If it does time to replace the card.
4) We have a forum for this that will probably give better advice than me: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

How do I figure it out.

This question is probably beyond the scope of this thread but the good dudes over in SH/SC (specifically Haus of Tech Support) have helped me diagnose PC issues in the past: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=22

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Toady posted:

It's aggressively tuned for veterans of the series, and much of the story will be baffling without having played the first one.

to be fair, they story is pretty mediocre even when you've played every game in the series too. the real fun with dark souls is figuring out all the crazy ways you can break the game with interesting character builds & gimmicks. if you're expecting more from the story than "kill some monsters because reasons" then :frogout:

one thing I'm realizing is that if you want to tear up low level pvp, you've got to play with builds that break the point investment mechanic that you normally have to balance with all of your equipment. things like the aforementioned anri's sword, where at a theoretical level 30 build, you could have a deprived start with 19 vigor and 35 luck (10 base + 20 levels + 5 hollow offhand) and have a weapon that can wreck other low level builds even with +0 or +1 enhancement, especially once you slap the carthus rouge on it. this is a pretty weird outlier, because most other weapon combos require that you invest a ton more ability points to get the same kind of damage output, which can limit how viable they are at lower levels. even something like a raw rear end with low enhancement (sat +2) and base STR/DEX lets you dump all of your points into vig/end/vit and now you can have a much more tanky build without really having to sacrifice your damage output (because the raw rear end still has straight sword superiority going for it).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RyokoTK posted:

My favorite part about Dancer is the stupid lingering hitbox on her retarded grab. Nothing like safely rolling through her grab and then being vacuumed into her hand well after it's past you.

e: Grabs in general have really poo poo hitboxes, but at least it's not as bad as DS2 Mimics where you could stand to their side and get grabbed by them as they lunge forward.

Mimic hitboxes are still hosed in this game. Their grab attack has a stupid radius and somehow extends behind them. It took me a few deaths to the grab to realize just how broken it is. Its pretty silly since all their attacks will whiff if you just circle around them, but the grab will gently caress you over if you are remotely close to them at any angle.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I think the most frustrating thing about Dancer is how god drat worthless her boss souls weapon is. Especially for as dangerous as she is to fight.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Having defeated Aldritch and a nice progress I'm feeling a bit lost. I backtracked to the Demon Ruins but after getting my poo poo pushed in repeatedly by Tsorig I decided I didn't like being 1-hit-killed, I ended up back in Lothric to fight the Dancer, except they also one-hit kills me with their stupid grab attack :( I think I need to go to Irythyll Dungeon but those flamer knights and a billion invisible backstabbing mooks is just kill.

Am I doing something so horribly wrong? I don't want much spoiled on my first play through, but I'm going quality build and have +2 Farron Greatsword, +5 Exile Greatsword (and a +6 Giant Club) which are doing piss all damage (130-ish to above boss) and I'm getting ko'ed by pretty much any attack :( I'm SL65ish with points 5:4:3 into STR/DEX/END.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 24, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Boogiewoogie posted:

Welp knew I forgot something, I'm on the PS4 (PSN: Kamidamaru). I already crafted the greatshield for dick-value in pvp so it's either running through till profaned or hoping someone has a copy of it they don't need.

I am about to have a spare Yhorm's soul I can drop you. If that's not allowed, I can craft the weapon and drop that. Shoot me a message as a reminder, but I won't be online until 730-8 this evening.

PSN: Monkrocker

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

I'm getting ko'ed by pretty much any attack :( I'm SL65ish with points 5:4:3 into STR/DEX/END.
You make it sound like you're ignoring Vigor. Don't do that. 25-27 is a good stopping point, as raising it past that starts getting heavily diminished returns.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So whats the stat progression people are going with for Bleed builds? Figured i'd try it out

Boogiewoogie
Jan 10, 2012

HaB posted:

I am about to have a spare Yhorm's soul I can drop you. If that's not allowed, I can craft the weapon and drop that. Shoot me a message as a reminder, but I won't be online until 730-8 this evening.

PSN: Monkrocker

Sounds good! I think I might have to clarify though that I am a filthy EU goon so 7:30 I assume is in one of the American timezones? Just so I have a notion of when you will be available!

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Invade someone near the end of the catacombs, was having what I thought was a good fight. I noticed the host was trading estus with me, only healing if I did, so I kinda felt bad about using it. She might have won, until...

...she got stuck by somehow rolling in a cluster of stalagmites right by the bridge. No matter where she moved, she couldn't get out. I felt bad so I tried to drop an ember for her, but every time I got close she took a swing at me, which was understandable. Besides, I don't know if she would have been able to reach it anyway. On her third swing, she got stuck in a permanent falling animation which instakilled her after a few seconds. :stare:

Boogiewoogie
Jan 10, 2012

Reminds me of the host that rolled in to a wall in Farron Keep, clipped through it and fell to the ends of the world...easiest tongue I ever earned.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

So whats the stat progression people are going with for Bleed builds? Figured i'd try it out

40 LCK, with END/VIG/VIT to taste. Get a weapon with decent inherent Bleed like the Spiked Mace, the Barbed Straight Sword, the Warden's Twinblades, or any of the Grave Warden curved swords and infuse it with Hollow. Note that you get +5 LCK at max Hollowing when wielding a Hollow-infused weapon, so you can leave your LCK at 35 base (or 30 if you've got a Hollow weapon in your offhand) and still hit the softcap just fine.

It's not a really great build until you can finally get to Irithyll Dungeon, unless you're willing to kill Anri early and use their sword with some Carthus Rouge for bosses. Bleed, however, is ridiculously powerful in both PVP and PVE once it does get going.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 24, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

SgtArseCandle posted:

I'm in the same boat as this here good person. Anyone successfully running a bleed build? I've tried out a SL60 luck/dex/bleed build with warden twinblade and it was extremely inconsistent compared to my other SL60 glaive quality build which just wrecks everything in PVE and PVP. With the twinblades, sometimes I would demolish phantoms in a single combo, sometimes I would struggle a lot. It feels like I sacrifice a lot of raw damage for a chance of bleed, but even with the bleed it barely breaks even with the quality build. To a large degree I put this down to the fact that the range on the twinblades is just very short and before I can lay down the hits I get estocced/darksworded into Swiss cheese or cleaved in half by an UGS. Perhaps bleed builds become much more competitive at later levels with highly infused/reinforced hollow weapons? I want to like bleed builds because of reasons (fashion factor mostly) but it seems like the standard quality builds are just much more reliable and well rounded. Quite possibly I'm just rubbish at the game :(

I watched a few youtube videos of people using bleed builds at SL120 but I couldn't shake the feeling that every single case was a careful montage where the opponent was completely useless and just let themselves be combo bled to death.

Tell me more about this glaive build. I just max leveled the black Knight glaive and started new game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Also, with regards to SgtArseCandle's post: the Warden's Twinblades aren't that great in PVP. Get the Spiked Mace, put Carthus Rouge on, R1 -> L2 -> R2 and whoever you're fighting is dead 90% of the time unless they're running Denial.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Boogiewoogie posted:

Just get the regular great machete from the big dudes in undead settlement. No one will know.

Boogiewoogie
Jan 10, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Just get the regular great machete from the big dudes in undead settlement. No one will know.

Does it have the amazing heavy attack after you arts? That thing is like half the reason I want it (that and the atk boost on the arts for even dumber damage).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

homeless poster posted:

to be fair, they story is pretty mediocre even when you've played every game in the series too. the real fun with dark souls is figuring out all the crazy ways you can break the game with interesting character builds & gimmicks. if you're expecting more from the story than "kill some monsters because reasons" then :frogout:

one thing I'm realizing is that if you want to tear up low level pvp, you've got to play with builds that break the point investment mechanic that you normally have to balance with all of your equipment. things like the aforementioned anri's sword, where at a theoretical level 30 build, you could have a deprived start with 19 vigor and 35 luck (10 base + 20 levels + 5 hollow offhand) and have a weapon that can wreck other low level builds even with +0 or +1 enhancement, especially once you slap the carthus rouge on it. this is a pretty weird outlier, because most other weapon combos require that you invest a ton more ability points to get the same kind of damage output, which can limit how viable they are at lower levels. even something like a raw rear end with low enhancement (sat +2) and base STR/DEX lets you dump all of your points into vig/end/vit and now you can have a much more tanky build without really having to sacrifice your damage output (because the raw rear end still has straight sword superiority going for it).

I haven't tried it yet but with the recent changes the raw dragonslayer's axe is pretty drat efficient, the moveset and range are kind of rear end but slap a lightning resin on it and it'll do some serious damage for a tiny stat investment.

Alternatively, 2 hand a heavily strength scaling weapon with 27 strength. The Spiked Mace falls into this category and has its bullshit combo and bleed as well! :v:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Boogiewoogie posted:

Does it have the amazing heavy attack after you arts? That thing is like half the reason I want it (that and the atk boost on the arts for even dumber damage).

No. :sigh:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

homeless poster posted:

Figuring out how to cram everything into as few points as possible is the most fun thing for me. My current favorite build is https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/28456

It's sl52, so since wolves is -20 I can still get hits there. I actually crystal out if it's a single phantom because it's so unfair.

I think profaned GS is my favorite non-dueling PvP weapon. Hyper armor with unparryable 2h horizontal r1's and thrusting r2's

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah Dancer's grab is a real bitch. The funny thing is that it's super easy to avoid if you just back roll away from it, its range is pretty short and there's a huge tell when she's winding up to do it. But everyone at this point (myself included) is so conditioned to instinctively roll through/toward everything that it's completely infuriating when you do it and she just snatches you out of what should be your iframes without giving a gently caress.

Boogiewoogie
Jan 10, 2012

There there...we'll be fine. :ohdear:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I really like that video of Lorian escaping his room lol. I kind of wish they'd made the level that way, with Lorian divebombing you periodically instead of lovely ol crystalman, and you can't permakill him but you can skip phase 1 of the boss if you do defeat him early. Except i'm glad they didn't because now I'm going to rip off that idea

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The thing about Lorian escaping his room that nobody mentions is that you can be invaded while doing it.

So what do you think will happen if you use a Seed of Giants...?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

swamp waste posted:

I really like that video of Lorian escaping his room lol. I kind of wish they'd made the level that way, with Lorian divebombing you periodically instead of lovely ol crystalman, and you can't permakill him but you can skip phase 1 of the boss if you do defeat him early. Except i'm glad they didn't because now I'm going to rip off that idea

Tallgeese posted:

The thing about Lorian escaping his room that nobody mentions is that you can be invaded while doing it.

wait, what are you referring to?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

They mentioned this in the video and the invader can neither see nor be damaged by Lorian.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I found a pretty good message at Pontiff's bonfire.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Southern Heel posted:

Having defeated Aldritch and a nice progress I'm feeling a bit lost. I backtracked to the Demon Ruins but after getting my poo poo pushed in repeatedly by Tsorig I decided I didn't like being 1-hit-killed, I ended up back in Lothric to fight the Dancer, except they also one-hit kills me with their stupid grab attack :( I think I need to go to Irythyll Dungeon but those flamer knights and a billion invisible backstabbing mooks is just kill.

Am I doing something so horribly wrong? I don't want much spoiled on my first play through, but I'm going quality build and have +2 Farron Greatsword, +5 Exile Greatsword (and a +6 Giant Club) which are doing piss all damage (130-ish to above boss) and I'm getting ko'ed by pretty much any attack :( I'm SL65ish with points 5:4:3 into STR/DEX/END.

That Tsorig guy can be a bit of an rear end in a top hat. You have to treat him like a PvP fight - he has finite stamina, but he will use stances and can combo you if you're not careful. If you watch him, you'll eventually realize when he's out of stamina (three one-handed swings, at least) and then you can basically range bait him into swinging three times.Then, you can punish the poo poo out of him before he can put his shield up and even if he does you'll probably guard break through it since his stamina is so low. You also want to try to deplete his FP so he can't surprise wreck you with his stance (which he will use to combo you to death, but his biggest tell that he'll use it is when he two-hands his sword), so you can basically bait him into blowing those attacks.

Alternatively, you can go back to Firelink Shrine to everyone's favorite recurring vendor, buy the horsehoof ring, and punish him every time he puts up his shield.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Hidden body is crazy good for pve stuff. I'm a god drat ninja mage.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
To the guy with crashing issues - it's not just you. For whatever reason I'd been playing this no problem with the latest patch, and then after a few day hiatus booted it up today. 3 straight black screen crashes at various points, I haven't even been able to get back to firelink. I don't know what's going on

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Happy Hedonist posted:

Hidden body is crazy good for pve stuff. I'm a god drat ninja mage.

I'm constantly taunting monsters and yelling at them. "Yeah you can't see me huh can you now motherfucker, you don't know where i am!" *dances around lothric knight*

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Humans Among Us posted:

I'm constantly taunting monsters and yelling at them. "Yeah you can't see me huh can you now motherfucker, you don't know where i am!" *dances around lothric knight*

I like to back stab them, walk away for a sec and let them ponder wtf just happened before returning to their post, and then back stab them again. Also, raw rear end. Jfc, raw rear end.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Xenothral posted:

I found a pretty good message at Pontiff's bonfire.

I saw one of those floating in midair in Firelink, with 9999 ratings :pwn:

e: hey Tallgeese can just touching one of those things gently caress someone up, in theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Knowing From, probably. And then they'll ban you for it.

I think I'm going to embrace my ban and just go hog wild. I mean I was punished for something I didn't do so I might as well do it now. Get my bans's worth.