Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody post that picture of the widowmaker spider-man jumping over the ledge to shoot reinhart in the back of the head.

This is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYCWzLpFItY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brosnan posted:

I promise you don't have to play that much to unlock lots of stuff and you'll have enough credits to buy a few must-have items for the heroes you really like

Don't spend another 50 bucks you weirdos

i spent 2 bucks because i wanted to see how the store worked

i got 5 sprays and got the same feeling when you open a bag of chips and there was way more air than you think

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Has anyone used Genji's reflection attack against McCree's ultimate?

Is it an instant-kill on McCree?

Yes and yes.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Kenshin posted:

Has anyone used Genji's reflection attack against McCree's ultimate?

Is it an instant-kill on McCree?

Yes, but remember Mccree shoots in a sequential order (he shoots from right to left I THINK) so you have to be the first person shot at for it to cancel the the ultimate. So basically get on HIS left as Genji (compared to your team) and aim at his face.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Brosnan posted:

I promise you don't have to play that much to unlock lots of stuff and you'll have enough credits to buy a few must-have items for the heroes you really like

Don't spend another 50 bucks you weirdos

If somebody bought a 50 pack and didn't get the thing they wanted, it would mean they specifically would have had to play a huge amount to waste their time getting those same 50 drops otherwise and finally end up with enough credz to buy the skin + animations they wanted!

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what I expected but playing solo is a loving nightmare. Nothing but damage heroes as far as the eye can see yet the opposite team always seems to have a good comp.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Harlock posted:

Can't you just buy 2 $20 blizzard cards?

Probably a currency exchange thin :canada:.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

anime was right posted:

i spent 2 bucks because i wanted to see how the store worked

i got 5 sprays and got the same feeling when you open a bag of chips and there was way more air than you think

That isn't air. It's nitrogen gas to keep the chips fresh.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Harlock posted:

Can't you just buy 2 $20 blizzard cards?

Unless something has changed, they're not available in Canada. I would assume it's for exactly that reason: circumventing exchange rates.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tenzarin posted:

That isn't air. It's nitrogen gas to keep the chips fresh.

its air

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Genji's reflect will also kill Reaper when he does Death Blossom.

Genji owns. Never stop reflecting.

Anyway, a charming moment happened in a recent game: Roadhog decided to show his appreciation for Tracer and give her a nice big hug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBiFyWwhm-s

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Emalde posted:

If somebody bought a 50 pack and didn't get the thing they wanted, it would mean they specifically would have had to play a huge amount to waste their time getting those same 50 drops otherwise and finally end up with enough credz to buy the skin + animations they wanted!

This is totally how random chance works!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

so many times playing today when id look to my right and just see two slow as gently caress red dragons moving through the room, not hitting anyone. good times.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The sensible thing would be to use your credits to buy sprays. Sprays are the things most likely to drop from any given lootbox, so by having them all, each lootbox is essentially just a huge cache of credits with the occasional thing you actually want.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
well, by "huge cache" you mean like 5-15 credits. white-quality repeats arent worth very much

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Did MMR not reset between the beta and now? I was really hoping to play against some brand new people the first couple of games but it feels like everybody already knows what they are doing.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Ddraig posted:

The sensible thing would be to use your credits to buy sprays. Sprays are the things most likely to drop from any given lootbox, so by having them all, each lootbox is essentially just a huge cache of credits with the occasional thing you actually want.

The sensible thing would be to use your credits to buy the LOL taunt for D.Va and then never buy anything else ever again

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

kimcicle posted:

Did MMR not reset between the beta and now? I was really hoping to play against some brand new people the first couple of games but it feels like everybody already knows what they are doing.

Like 10 million people played the beta, that's basically the entire population of earth - everyone knows how to play overwatch

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

kimcicle posted:

I think it did because my first 5 matches were straight dunked on losses. Or I just got saddled with really bad players.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

super macho dude posted:

so many times playing today when id look to my right and just see two slow as gently caress red dragons moving through the room, not hitting anyone. good times.

yoo meee wooo taaaa .... keeeee .... mrmmbm .... mehhh ........ wrmrmr ..... [unintelligible]

*the enemy heroes walk placidly out of the way*

*two sad slow dragons limp dejectedly by, their sad eyes gazing upon the heroless void in front of them*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I don't know what I expected but playing solo is a loving nightmare. Nothing but damage heroes as far as the eye can see yet the opposite team always seems to have a good comp.

It'll get better over time as people learn how the game works and the fact that teams should probably be balanced. Until then, play with goons.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I think it did because my first 5 matches were straight dunked on losses. Or I just got saddled with really bad players.

perhaps maybe...... you were the really bad player

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Speaking of playing with goons, got a PS4 party going right now if anybody wants in. Got 4 spots right now but if you don't get in just add me to friends and I'll invite you as soon as we have space or next time we play.

PSN ID is i000_ANGRY_BEES

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Took a drink of milk between lives and dribbled it all down me in panic when I was Mercy'd back. :smith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You're not really going to see W/L stabilize until you're about 300-400 games in, from my experience, unless they've tweaked the matchmaker since the final days of closed beta.

I think it's important to reiterate, just in general: as this is a team-based game, you're not going to be able to consistently win all of the games you play (unless you've been playing FPS games for 20+ years and dramatically outskill everyone). You're sometimes going to get losing streaks because you'll alternate between games where your team has more players who are doing badly than the enemy and games where you're legitimately playing badly and the rest of your team can't compensate. Focus more on your own incremental improvements rather than the quality of your team and whether you win/lost; you'll savor the victories more (especially the ones where you're clearly carrying the team) and have the losses sting less.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

anime was right posted:

perhaps maybe...... you were the really bad player

No, all goons are gaming masters + people that don't pay to post on internet forums are pubbie scum that drool all over their controllers

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
What's with voting for your favorite player at the end? What does it do?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Knifegrab posted:

Specifically being effective and doing anything or helping anyone.

If you hear foot steps you can't identify its probably an enemy flanking you. Move and reposition before they get you.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Steve2911 posted:

Took a drink of milk between lives and dribbled it all down me in panic when I was Mercy'd back. :smith:

Same, except I was picking my nose like the subhuman filth I am

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

el B posted:

You get a small bonus to your XP earned for that match.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
My pro moment so far is getting knocked into the pit on nepal as lucio and wall riding back out.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

el B posted:

It's an example of positive reinforcement, in the belief that praising people for their good actions makes them more likely to repeat them in the future.

Which is why you should always upvote healers, even if they're not on your team.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I can't solo-queue anymore, the stress is real. Guess I just gotta hold myself back for my friends :(

:psyduck: This is one of the least stressful games I've ever played. Especially in casual play where it doesn't matter one bit whether you win or lose (I think it's 250 extra XP for winning?)

What's giving you trouble?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I loving hate playing both as and against Mercy, but I'll upvote them every time. They're the real heroes of this game.

Brannock posted:

:psyduck: This is one of the least stressful games I've ever played. Especially in casual play where it doesn't matter one bit whether you win or lose (I think it's 250 extra XP for winning?)

What's giving you trouble?

If you're like me and have a big perfectionist/self-blame complex, it's easy to treat every game as some massive test of your personal ability instead of just having it be A Fun Game. Getting out of that cycle requires a lot of self-reflection and practice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

QuasiQuack posted:

Same, except I was picking my nose like the subhuman filth I am

The worst is when you frantically get back to your keyboard only to be re-killed within one second anyway.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

el B posted:

Always vote for yourself. If you can't, vote for no one.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I always have a habit of dying before our Mercy has ultimate ready. I'm a selfish fucker like that.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Well then, Amazon refunded $11 of my order of Overwatch: Origins because the price changed at some point? With the Prime pre-order discount I ended up getting the game for $35. Hell of a deal. If you ordered from Amazon you might be receiving something similar.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Well then, Amazon refunded $11 of my order of Overwatch: Origins because the price changed at some point? With the Prime pre-order discount I ended up getting the game for $35. Hell of a deal. If you ordered from Amazon you might be receiving something similar.

Yup, I got that this afternoon too. It makes me feel better about them shipping my copy of the game a day late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i mentioned a while back that "short range" in this game is actually pretty generous, but I wanted to see exactly what that translated to. so i did some testing, and here's my results:

this is just about on the edge of what the game defines as short range; Mei's gun does 150 damage on a headshot within close range, and the bots have 200 health and each little box represents 25. it's sort of hard to visualize in first person so in the image below i stepped back and left a marker in the third screenshot to hopefully demonstrate a bit more clearly. it's pretty danged far!!