Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I just hit a sovcit goldmine.

While looking for the source of another poster's crazy relative's sovcit filings elsewhere, I came across "Saving to Suitors Club", an active forum devoted to sovcit legal theory.

http://savingtosuitorsclub.net/cmps_index.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Throwing Turtles posted:

I couldn't figure out how to buy anything, but I did find this couple randomly placed in the catalog among all the knives for sale.

... Lavoy?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ask your tattoo artist if they can do a gnome.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Eox posted:

... Lavoy?

There's a resemblance but if Lavoy were a former marine senior NCO there now way we would not have heard about it non-loving-stop from the patridiots, least of all from him.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Stolen valour then?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Stolen valour then?

He did a good job if so. Uniform appears to be worn correctly, and didn't stop there. That definitely looks like an enlisted man's wife, if more than a little under the weight requirements.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Semper fi :911:

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Otisburg posted:

He did a good job if so. Uniform appears to be worn correctly, and didn't stop there. That definitely looks like an enlisted man's wife, if more than a little under the weight requirements.

Sixteen year SNCO with wife-piece sporting trashing tattoo; poo poo looks legit.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Throwing Turtles posted:

I couldn't figure out how to buy anything, but I did find this couple randomly placed in the catalog among all the knives for sale.

How much were they?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I just hit a sovcit goldmine.

While looking for the source of another poster's crazy relative's sovcit filings elsewhere, I came across "Saving to Suitors Club", an active forum devoted to sovcit legal theory.

http://savingtosuitorsclub.net/cmps_index.php

I waited way too long to click that link and now I'm gonna be at work all day waiting to get home so I can make myself a drink and get some purestrain sovcit :catdrugs:

I mean look at this and tell me it doesn't look like a hoot:

:getin:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
No way is that a couple, they gotta be siblings. Their faces are way too similar.

This is like some kind of weird, "Sis, it's never too late to go to prom" thing.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

The Larch posted:

How much were they?

It looks like a sad virgin who's stealing valor and decided to spend that week's check from Payless on a discount hooker.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
:10bux: says her voice is deeper than his.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Otisburg posted:

It looks legit. One of the big tip-offs with stolen valor types are the uniform of one branch and a giant wall of ribbons from other branches.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
When you're in a private militia all valor is earned. Hell they got one just for making a beer run

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

When you're in a private militia all valor is earned. Hell they got one just for making a beer run

"WITNESS ME" as Joe Jack Confer walks down the street, rifle on gut, to bait police officers into talking to him.

"WITNESS" type the viewers on his livestream who were too afraid to show up to the meeting spot again

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Looks legit because who would brag about being deployed at least 3 times and only getting a NAM?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Grem posted:

Looks legit because who would brag about being deployed at least 3 times and only getting a NAM?

Now you got me looking at his medals and ribbons when you menitoned that. In addition to his NAM, I see USMC Good Conduct, Marine Corps Expeditionary, Armed Forces Expeditionary, Global War On Terror Expeditionary, and Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation. It does look like he's got a Combat Action Ribbon and a Marksmanship badge, but I think he has an Arctic Service Ribbon, the ribbon for the Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation and Sea Service underneath that.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

There's no marksmanship badge, you might be seeing the Presidential Unit Citation (the sideways striped one), but all that is pretty much "was in deployable unit" stuff that could be picked up over 16 years easy, even the Navy stuff could be other poo poo but it's not even medals, just ribbons, I can't see that close to see for sure what all it is.

Although the NAM does have a V on it, but still, stolen valor usually involved bronze or silver stars, at least.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Are the marine guidelines for awards "some, none, or all?" That's how they did it in the USAF and I went with the "fashion" of wearing "top 3" like everyone else where I was stationed.
I had 4

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
"stolen valor" lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I know nothing about the military, are most of the ribbons and medals and poo poo just like elementary school participation trophies, like "you took the shooty guns class and passed good for you!" or "you spent a whole year polishing the floors of mothballed tugboats, yay!" kind of things?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I know nothing about the military, are most of the ribbons and medals and poo poo just like elementary school participation trophies, like "you took the shooty guns class and passed good for you!" or "you spent a whole year polishing the floors of mothballed tugboats, yay!" kind of things?
There's poo poo everyone gets, and then there are varying degrees of things you could actually consider accomplishments. On the higher end you have officers getting Bronze Stars (without valor device) simply for being in charge when something happened regardless of how their actual leadership worked out.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I really wonder how much spotlight the tarpriots will get in the public eye, or if this will continue to be little more than a sideshow oddity.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Shakenbaker posted:

I waited way too long to click that link and now I'm gonna be at work all day waiting to get home so I can make myself a drink and get some purestrain sovcit :catdrugs:

I mean look at this and tell me it doesn't look like a hoot:

:getin:

A real post from the "Please help us understand how redeeming will work in a system like this?" thread:

quote:

P.S. I once thought that the convergent property - "Emotion" - meant that emotion was an important factor. What it means to me now is that Fear creates delusions, as easily as Love creates reality. Only the path of one objective truth leads to peace.

P.S. Summarizing what turns out to be my monologue;

If you dabble in elastic or digital currencies, know when to get out. What looked like a crash ($42.22/fine troy ounce) burned a lot of good people.

I don't understand what the gently caress that image is about. Most of the other content of that thread is really disjointed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

McGlockenshire posted:

I don't understand what the gently caress that image is about.

Profound, untreated mental illness.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

To oversimplify it, It's a mixture of participation stuff, accomplishments, and awards. You'll get a ribbon with certain medals, for instance. I was on a mil history forum where people kind of went on witch hunts for SV heels. I didn't participate as it got really ugly, but I learned a lot as they examined every inch of uniform. After a while, people got sick of just saying "oh horseshit he's got 80 ribbons and a medal that shows he fought in a colonial conflict in 1909" and would really get into the seams of the clothing with evidence to back it up. It was strange, but interesting.

It's where I first really saw the SovCits. It's like even they realize how dumb their ideas are, and the only way they can get dopes to believe it is if it comes from one of "are heroes :salute:"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

http://www.kdrv.com/news/380568791.html

quote:

Sparks flew during a hearing in the state Capitol on a proposal to turn 2.5 million acres of canyonlands in southeastern Oregon into a federally protected monument.

Malheur County Sheriff Brian Wolfe told a panel of state lawmakers on Monday he worried that armed outsiders would exploit the situation. And ranchers said their livelihoods could be threatened.

Please yes :getin:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Plan Z posted:

After a while, people got sick of just saying "oh horseshit he's got 80 ribbons and a medal that shows he fought in a colonial conflict in 1909" and would really get into the seams of the clothing with evidence to back it up. It was strange, but interesting.

I'd be interested in seeing some of this if it's handy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's kinda why when I did that rundown, I pointed out the combat service ribbon, because that and purple hearts are like definitive proof he saw combat action (although they recently they changed the requirements to include IEDs, it used to be enemy fire). Everything else was a participation medal.

Also, the "shooty guns class" medal is kind of important (although it's more of that course than the medal, medal is just proof). Granted, pretty much everyone gets one, but there's three ranks, Marksman, Sharpshooter, and Expert, and it can have an impact on your future career in the armed forces, since stuff like special operations and sniper school tend to want people who can shoot really good.

The Lone Badger posted:

I'd be interested in seeing some of this if it's handy.

Everything I did when I went on that rundown of medals and ribbons was available on Wikipedia.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Also it's a giveaway if somebody doesn't have the dumb automatic ribbons on.

Oh you have a bunch of cool hard to get ones but not the one that everyone gets graduating bootcamp. Huh. Interesting.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Young Freud posted:

It's kinda why when I did that rundown, I pointed out the combat service ribbon, because that and purple hearts are like definitive proof he saw combat action (although they recently they changed the requirements to include IEDs, it used to be enemy fire). Everything else was a participation medal.

Also, the "shooty guns class" medal is kind of important (although it's more of that course than the medal, medal is just proof). Granted, pretty much everyone gets one, but there's three ranks, Marksman, Sharpshooter, and Expert, and it can have an impact on your future career in the armed forces, since stuff like special operations and sniper school tend to want people who can shoot really good.

Ah okay. All I really know about ribbons is my grandpa's WWII ribbons, of which the only ones I know anything about are his cool engineer corps one and his purple hearts he got from taking shrapnel from a Japanese mine detonator he failed to de-engineer correctly :v:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Everything I did when I went on that rundown of medals and ribbons was available on Wikipedia.

It used to be hard to get a combat action ribbon. This jerkoff sergeant in my battalion tried to get one for shooting out of the passenger side window in the last truck of a convoy, when there was an attack on the left side of the front of the convoy. The XO's resonse was 'you're a useless idiot, you were nowhere near the action, you loving jerkoff'.

Casimir Radon posted:

There's poo poo everyone gets, and then there are varying degrees of things you could actually consider accomplishments. On the higher end you have officers getting Bronze Stars (without valor device) simply for being in charge when something happened regardless of how their actual leadership worked out.

I know a captain who lead a company off-base in order to perform a promotion and ribbon ceremony, when such ceremonies were explicitly banned in combat zones. Because it's a bad thing to have people massed up in a place where there's a constant threat of mortar and IED attacks. Especially when said idiot captain used the same place on the first of the month for 3 consecutive months, and some intrepid insurgents buried a loving IED in that spot the night before the 4th and killed 13 people.

This captain put himself up for a purple heart because the blast dislocated his shoulder, and a bronze star with combat V for bravely calling for a medevac.

VVV It's simultaneously harder and easier to get medals and decorations than these stolen valor patriot idiots think.

red19fire has issued a correction as of 21:51 on May 24, 2016

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What the gently caress does any of this have to do with those Bundy hicks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

red19fire posted:

It used to be hard to get a combat action ribbon. This jerkoff sergeant in my battalion tried to get one for shooting out of the passenger side window in the last truck of a convoy, when there was an attack on the left side of the front of the convoy. The XO's resonse was 'you're a useless idiot, you were nowhere near the action, you loving jerkoff'.

... was he just firing out the side of the truck wildly at nothing, hoping that would get him a medal?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tayter Swift posted:

What the gently caress does any of this have to do with those Bundy hicks

The screaming madness that is the Bundy legal defense strategy brought up the subject of sovcits (not for the first time,) so Throwing Turtles went looking for examples local to him:

Throwing Turtles posted:

The article leads to the Southern Poverty Law Center's hand guide of whack jobs by state, so I bit the bullet and checked out my local loonies. I clicked on the first thing that was for sale and wound up on a poorly laid out site that sold survival gear. By Survival gear I mean knives, lots of knife. Like six categories of knives.

Oh and fire starters.

Damascus Thors' Hammer Fire Striker With Ferro Toggle on a black Paracord Lanyard.

Among all of that, he also found this photo:

quote:

Considering the number of wannabes and LARP troopers who took park in the Malheur occupation, the question was advanced that he might be another stolen valor rear end in a top hat, but no it seems he's probably just a standard veteran.

You're right that is is getting pretty off topic, despite being interesting.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

... was he just firing out the side of the truck wildly at nothing, hoping that would get him a medal?

Indeed. A pistol, no less.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I meant some of the detailed teardowns of "he's tied his shoelaces wrong to be part of that unit and those medals would have required him to be in two different places at the same time" you mention.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Funny that military 'participation' medals make desk jockeys puff out their chest and insist that they earned them but talk about giving kids participation trophies and get ready for a meltdown about coddling kids and safe spaces.

So any new news on how shitfucked those Bundy boys are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

red19fire posted:

Indeed. A pistol, no less.

This was so much more common than people realize. Now you get a CAR for reacting to an IED, just ducking and covering.