Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Metaphorically and literally. Gruntle is one of my favorite characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Metaphorically and literally. Gruntle is one of my favorite characters.

That whole trio of caravan guards is pretty great.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

RC Cola posted:

This Gruntle poo poo in MoI is so boring so far.

He hasn't shown his true stripes yet.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
:chloe:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It feels like Eriksen runs out of stuff for Gruntle to do pretty quickly so he ends up wandering around doing sod all endlessly ruminating on the nature of war/man/beast. His thing is he doesn't care about what his god wants so he just pouts a lot. And of course Absi and Mappo instantly love him because he's such a great person, dead Toc wishes he could say hello to him after the one drink they shared etc.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Gruntle's a total bro so it's no wonder. He's the kind of guy I would want to have a drink with.

"I'm a caravan guard captain, and damned good at it. When I'm sober, that is." Words to live by.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

He hasn't shown his true stripes yet.

:golfclap:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

It feels like Eriksen runs out of stuff for Gruntle to do pretty quickly so he ends up wandering around doing sod all endlessly ruminating on the nature of war/man/beast. His thing is he doesn't care about what his god wants so he just pouts a lot. And of course Absi and Mappo instantly love him because he's such a great person, dead Toc wishes he could say hello to him after the one drink they shared etc.
The first part is kinda imporant though because he ends up killing his god in DoD/TCG as a result. Toc's reaction I think reflects Togg riding him, he sees another involuntary host of a beast god.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

sassassin posted:

It feels like Eriksen runs out of stuff for Gruntle to do pretty quickly so he ends up wandering around doing sod all endlessly ruminating on the nature of war/man/beast.

Sounds like stuff to do.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

The first part is kinda imporant though because he ends up killing his god in DoD/TCG as a result. Toc's reaction I think reflects Togg riding him, he sees another involuntary host of a beast god.

I have skipped the last 100 posts in this thread just since I didn't want to get spoiled about FoL, since there is always some fucker with more time than me.
But I have finished FoL, and the comments regarding Fanderay/Togg in FoL are hilarious.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Mok is the best

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I finally started Forge of Darkness and it's been great. Picked up Fall of Light and hope to finish it by the end of the weekend.

So many great reveals. It's cool seeing the bad rear end characters when they were just starting out.

Also, gently caress Errastas, that guys is always a prick.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

RC Cola posted:

This Gruntle poo poo in MoI is so boring so far.

Gruntle is the best character

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Gruntle is such a good and cool guy.

Also, does anyone else picture Taralack Veed as a 50s greaser?

*spits into palms and slicks back hair*

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
About halfway through Fall of Light, am I reading it right that Korlat is Draconus's Finnest, embodied by Olar Ethil as revenge?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I just read that bit in FoL and interpreted it was more that Draconus kept a part of his power locked away in a Finnest so he wouldn't die, but that part contained his love. It's mentioned that his daughters are somehow poisoning the finnest too but I'm not sure how to interpret that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get that part, I just don't understand what Olar Ethil did there.
Oh, another reveal - am I reading it right that the Jheleck hostages are to become Hounds of shadow? I'm fairly sure one of them was called Gear... Wonder why they can't veer? Then again, maybe Tulas just named them after them.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

In reference to the Jhek the hostages can't veer on command because they are too young and haven't been taught by an elder (and likely never will as hostages at The Howl.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

Gruntle is the best character

Don't get me wrong, I like me some Gruntle, but no. Not even.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like me some Gruntle, but no. Not even.

Username and post combo game on point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Your observation baffles me: I was nothing but polite, insofar as such as thing as possible when contemplating murder. Was my regret not palpable?"
I'm fairly sure Skillen Droe is my favorite new character, hopefully we'll see more of him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Remember when Fiddler deserted his squad to fight without him in Malaz City so he could drink with his friends, got given a bunch of super cool weapons for free because everyone loves him, and could suddenly play the violin so well it reduced everyone in the room to tears and his anger made the song really powerful?

What a cool character that Eriksen doesn't write with one hand at all.

The Bonehunters feel like a really poor attempt to recapture the Chain of Dogs, only instead of fleeing people that want them dead, fighting against impossible odds, they're marching to certain death because some woman says they have to and she's really, really not special (or is she???)

I'm mad about these bad last few books. It's like he's writing Mary Sue fan-fiction about his own characters. Fiddler is John Mclane circa Die Hard 4 (or whichever one it is he kills a jet fighter).

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 24, 2016

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

sassassin posted:

Remember when Fiddler deserted his squad to fight without him in Malaz City so he could drink with his friends, got given a bunch of super cool weapons for free because everyone loves him, and could suddenly play the violin so well it reduced everyone in the room to tears and his anger made the song really powerful?

The Bonehunters feel like a really poor attempt to recapture the Chain of Dogs, only instead of fleeing people that want them dead, fighting against impossible odds, they're marching to certain death because some woman says they have to and she's really, really not special (or is she???)

I'm mad about these bad last few books. It's like he's writing Mary Sue fan-fiction about his own characters. Fiddler is John Mclane circa Die Hard 4 (or whichever one it is he kills a jet fighter).

Tavore Paran is a tough character. She's not overtly special, and characters routinely comment on the fact, and yet the obey. Erikson uses a lot of dialogue and monologue to let you know what characters perceive, but when it comes to describing what a character is actually capable of, he rarely resorts to exposition. Rather than saying, "Karsa is really, really strong," he instead shows the reader. Rather than say, "Olar Ethil is a bad person," he shows Olar Ethil doing a bad thing. So, too, with Tavore: rather than saying, "She is able to bend the will of others to her will: others cannot resist her orders," or "Her soldiers dislike her and disagree with her, and yet find themselves unable to withstand her," Erikson shows that over and over again.

The Bonehunters actions don't meet their words when it comes to Tavore. They complain, and doubt, and even mock a little bit, and yet the obey.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

sassassin posted:

If you feel that way about Fiddler I want to hear how you feel about Rake.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Having a character named "Fiddler" play the violin well isn't a big stretch of the imagination...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They named him because he lugged a broken fiddle that he didn't know how to play across Raraku, though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

They named him because he lugged a broken fiddle that he didn't know how to play across Raraku, though.

I thought he always knew how to play it...it was just broken.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fairly sure I remember someone shouting that he was horrible in said scene.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure I remember someone shouting that he was horrible in said scene.

Yeah, the fiddle is a joke in the early books. He bought one because he thought he'd have time to learn on the march.

Turns out he was a secret master the whole time.

Spermy Smurf posted:

If you feel that way about Fiddler I want to hear how you feel about Rake.

I respond to Rake differently because he's introduced as a next-level ascendant, who is then humanised somewhat. Expectations are different.

But even then, compared to his first meeting with Silverfox ("would you like me on your left or your right, Rake" said Kallor, badassedly), he eventually falls into a similar pit of characters talking endlessly about how what he's doing is so great and special and selfless.

Jesus, what Eriksen did to Kallor, too. He's constantly weeping out of empathy for everyone by the end.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ynglaur posted:

Tavore Paran is a tough character. She's not overtly special, and characters routinely comment on the fact, and yet the obey. Erikson uses a lot of dialogue and monologue to let you know what characters perceive, but when it comes to describing what a character is actually capable of, he rarely resorts to exposition. Rather than saying, "Karsa is really, really strong," he instead shows the reader. Rather than say, "Olar Ethil is a bad person," he shows Olar Ethil doing a bad thing. So, too, with Tavore: rather than saying, "She is able to bend the will of others to her will: others cannot resist her orders," or "Her soldiers dislike her and disagree with her, and yet find themselves unable to withstand her," Erikson shows that over and over again.

His characters also say it, repeatedly. Samar Dev exists to tell us that Karsa is really strong and will always win. Half a dozen characters whine about how Olar Ethil is Evil (some of whom go along with it just because).

The Bonehunters are a stupid army full of idiots that became badass veterans offscreen while at sea and I resent that I'm made to read so much about them when the Shake exist and - while dumb - actually do things.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Re fiddlesticks

Fiddler playing in Malaz, where he started, couldn't possibly be related to Tanno spirit walker magic which is about cycles and song

:goonsay:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

sassassin posted:

His characters also say it, repeatedly. Samar Dev exists to tell us that Karsa is really strong and will always win. Half a dozen characters whine about how Olar Ethil is Evil (some of whom go along with it just because).

The Bonehunters are a stupid army full of idiots that became badass veterans offscreen while at sea and I resent that I'm made to read so much about them when the Shake exist and - while dumb - actually do things.

The Bonehunters become badasses on camera when they survive the siege of Y'Ghatan. It's their Raraku, the event that elevated them as a company, really the event that gives weight to their name.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

sassassin posted:

Never read any Honor Harrington books because your head will explode from anger.

Fiddler is the LVL15 NPC badass helping a new series of generic PCs level up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Ninth Layer posted:

The Bonehunters become badasses on camera when they survive the siege of Y'Ghatan. It's their Raraku, the event that elevated them as a company, really the event that gives weight to their name.

Their first battle is a disaster and the best of them die in the trap/to their own munitions. The survivors get out only due to a magic spell (plus a dozen others), so the army is just them and the soldiers that didn't enter the city in the first place.[/spoilers] Then they march to some ships, where they sail around and [spoiler]get saved by magic again.

By the time they're in Lether the marines are elite head-popping commando badasses that put every military force on that continent to shame (to the point of outright worship by Brys etc.)

Apart from the few dozen that defend the gangplank in Malaz City (spelled by Perish) none of the Bonehunters have done anything of note before then. Dujek's host they ain't.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Maybe these aren't the books for you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair Erikson makes a point of the Letheran army being a joke - to the point where a subjugated country provides them with "equipment" for cavalry that makes it cripple their horses and they see nothing wrong with it - because they rely on magic and their mage cadre just got wiped out by the Edur.

Anyhow, just finished Fall, some thoughts and impressions:

-The final scene. I didn't see it coming yet in retrospect it seems inevitable from the moment Urusander proved he's full of poo poo in regard to his much vaunted justice (and, of course, since we know where that goes with the Forkrul Assail - he's not wrong). Well played, that.
- I'm thinking Skillen Droe is the reason why Starvald Demelain is full of dragon corpses when Silchas & Co. take a shortcut through it in RG. Guy's a badass. Also assuming that the flying fortress he happened to misplace is going to end up either Moon's Spawn or reverse-engineered and mass produced by the K'Chain. Tangentially related, K'rul is a dick.
- Still confused on the Jheleck hostages. They're there, they veer into wolves left and right but one is Gear and one is Blind so they not only end up shifting into hounds as opposed to wolves but apparently lose the ability to shift back? It could explain why in MoI Paran almost goes insane from hound's blood - shapeshifters in this universe aren't known for their stability.
- Just what the gently caress is Draconus' deal? He's done it before? How come no one among the Azathanai comments on that? Who did he do it to? Unless it turns out Dessimbelackis was a woman, possibly Arathan's mother and Draconus gave them the shapeshifting. In which case, good job, rear end in a top hat.
- Speaking of, I probably already mentioned that Draconus is a really stupid name but Tiamatha? I'm starting to think ICE came up with those, that's on par with Kyle for fanfiction-level-naming.
-Togg and Fanderay. I'll never see MoI the same way.
- Oh, yeah, dragons. I was really glad to see Silanah - completely forgot about her existence and she's got to play a pretty important role given where she ends up by GotM. Another little shock was Korabas being undead - it seems obvious that K'rul is setting her up to be the aspect of death for when Hood makes his move but apparently she was special even before? I know some version of the word otataral was mentioned.
- Any guesses on what the next book's going to be called? I'd bet on something along the lines of Flame of Shadow - we still need to wrap up the Edur and dragons.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 25, 2016

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

sassassin posted:

Their first battle is a disaster and the best of them die in the trap/to their own munitions. The survivors get out only due to a magic spell (plus a dozen others), so the army is just them and the soldiers that didn't enter the city in the first place.[/spoilers] Then they march to some ships, where they sail around and [spoiler]get saved by magic again.

By the time they're in Lether the marines are elite head-popping commando badasses that put every military force on that continent to shame (to the point of outright worship by Brys etc.)

Apart from the few dozen that defend the gangplank in Malaz City (spelled by Perish) none of the Bonehunters have done anything of note before then. Dujek's host they ain't.

Have you missed that Malazan Marines pretty much conquered the world for Kellanved? They are the elite. They also have munitions and high tech crossbows.

And regarding Lether we have already been shown how lovely the Lether are at fighting an unconventional force in MT. The marines are having a much harder time vs the Edur.

TCG the Bonehunter regulars don't do much except march until their stand to win Fiddlers group time to free the Crippled God.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Last book has the title of Walk in Shadow. Also some news:

quote:

Some news from Erikson's Reading/Q&A May 24

I had the happy opportunity to meet Steven Erikson this evening in Victoria at a reading for Fall of Light, after which he took questions. I'm not sure to what extent these have been discussed here previously but I figured I would provide updates on the following:

* Malazan RPG: interest from SJGames to publish, up to Erikson and Esslemont to develop. Possible kickstarter - in the works but not on the immediate horizon.

* Karsa Orlong trilogy: he's signed a contract to write this, it will be set ~15 years after the end of the main series.

* An announcement about the sale of TV rights is "imminent".

https://www.reddit.com/r/Malazan/comments/4ky38l/some_news_from_eriksons_readingqa_may_24

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair Erikson makes a point of the Letheran army being a joke - to the point where a subjugated country provides them with "equipment" for cavalry that makes it cripple their horses and they see nothing wrong with it - because they rely on magic and their mage cadre just got wiped out by the Edur.

Anyhow, just finished Fall, some thoughts and impressions:

-Togg and Fanderay. I'll never see MoI the same way.

I'm in the last quarter of the book and I don't remember anything with Togg and Fanderay at all. Did I miss it or is it still upcoming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

apophenium posted:

I'm in the last quarter of the book and I don't remember anything with Togg and Fanderay at all. Did I miss it or is it still upcoming?
It's a throwaway mention that's probably still upcoming, it's near the end. If you want to be spoiled on it, they're implied to be a d'ivers Azathanai.