Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

is back now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

NumberLast posted:

Once again only to fight Democratic challengers.

This hurts the Dem party.

(This is still a good thing.)

i think the establishment dems are (probably willfully) missing the point that bernie's goal is not to fight the republicans, but to clean up the democratic party.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

also, RI's getting ethics reform!! probably!!! lol

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Ud2Ddkab

"Democratic leaders are urging passage of ethics legislation they recently introduced, with just weeks left in the session. It would ask voters in November to approve a constitutional amendment giving the state's Ethics Commission power to punish lawmakers for conflicts of interest.

The swiftness with which the State House leadership is taking action, after years of reluctance, reflects what some legislators say is an attempt to restore the trust of fed-up voters before the November election."

i think that second paragraph is pretty enlightening, and shows that progressives and other leftists need to keep up the pressure on the Dems in our respective states. the ones in RI are definitely getting nervous.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Classic Comrade posted:

i think the establishment dems are (probably willfully) missing the point that bernie's goal is not to fight the republicans, but to clean up the democratic party.

But if you fight the Democratic establishment, all you do is make it easier for the Republicans to win!

Because Literally Anythingtm is preferable to Republicans!!

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
It's pretty awesome that Sanders is shunting funds towards state races.

I feel pretty good about the Democrats running for state rep in my LD. One is an establishment Dem that decided to ride the winds of change in Washington and the other is someone with very little political experience (helped run a campaign for a school district initiative), but is heavily involved in local charity. Also she's a super sweet lady. :3:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Classic Comrade posted:

also, RI's getting ethics reform!! probably!!! lol

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Ud2Ddkab

"Democratic leaders are urging passage of ethics legislation they recently introduced, with just weeks left in the session. It would ask voters in November to approve a constitutional amendment giving the state's Ethics Commission power to punish lawmakers for conflicts of interest.

The swiftness with which the State House leadership is taking action, after years of reluctance, reflects what some legislators say is an attempt to restore the trust of fed-up voters before the November election."

i think that second paragraph is pretty enlightening, and shows that progressives and other leftists need to keep up the pressure on the Dems in our respective states. the ones in RI are definitely getting nervous.

there's no place to hide in RI

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Lord of Pie posted:

there's no place to hide in RI

Well, it is a small state.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Quiet Feet posted:

Well, it is a small state.

It takes me longer to get to the nearest city than it would to cross RI...

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

NumberLast posted:

It takes me longer to get to the nearest city than it would to cross RI...

that's a definite plus to living here, ngl

especially if you don't own a car (like me lol) :v:

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Classic Comrade posted:

that's a definite plus to living here, ngl

especially if you don't own a car (like me lol) :v:

Hey me neither! I live in a small town and walk everywhere

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

NumberLast posted:

Hey me neither! I live in a small town and walk everywhere

my new place is p awesome; i live 3 minutes from a bus stop, 5 from a library, and 10 from a convenience store and coffee place. #blessed

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
"Bernie supporters are so naive! You need to support down ticket votes!"

*Bernie supports downticket candidates*

"Don't support downticket voters! That's naive because it divides the party! Focus on Republicans!"

*Hypothetical reality where Bernie supports downticket democrats going up against Republicans*

"You Bernie supporters are wasting your time and energy supporting a left wing Democratic candidate who can't win against a Republican in a conservative district!"

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Bernie supporters are so naive! You need to support down ticket votes!"

*Bernie supports downticket candidates*

"Don't support downticket voters! That's naive because it divides the party! Focus on Republicans!"

*Hypothetical reality where Bernie supports downticket democrats going up against Republicans*

"You Bernie supporters are wasting your time and energy supporting a left wing Democratic candidate who can't win against a Republican in a conservative district!"

forget the haters, keep bernin

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

I wonder if it's possible to phonebank for some of those state representative and senate candidates Bernie is fundraising for.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Hello, PPG. I gotta say, I'm jazzed about Canova's recent influx of cash. Does he have a real shot at taking down DWS?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fleetwood posted:

Hello, PPG. I gotta say, I'm jazzed about Canova's recent influx of cash. Does he have a real shot at taking down DWS?

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/281147-dems-discuss-dropping-wasserman-schultz

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

NumberLast posted:

I'm gonna move to a new town that's smaller than the one I've been bumming it in but has less dumbass politics.

I mean, there are still dumbass politics. I talked to the county commissioner and he spent thirty minutes ranting about how the city council spent half the city's discretionary budget on new trashcans because the old ones were grey but they sometimes looked blue and people might think they were for recycling.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars in a town of less than 40k on that poo poo. :cripes:

The smaller the town, the worse it gets, friend. I grew up in a town of 1,200. The town decided not to fund an upgrade for our water system when it became apparent that the water table ran the risk of mixing with sewage— well, they did, but only after residents started coming down with E. Coli.

Small towns in agricultural areas like the one I'm from in upstate NY just don't have any money and are loaded with old people who can barely pay their bills. The only projects on their slate are ones that involve service restrictions and cutting costs (like dissolving the township and turning over management to the state in an effort to avoid taxes).

I'd say go with a larger town because you're more likely to find people with similar values to build coalitions around. A town of about 40k sounds perfect.

The general rule seems to be— the more localized you get to the people, the more bitter the fight.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Fleetwood posted:

The smaller the town, the worse it gets, friend. I grew up in a town of 1,200. The town decided not to fund an upgrade for our water system when it became apparent that the water table ran the risk of mixing with sewage— well, they did, but only after residents started coming down with E. Coli.

Small towns in agricultural areas like the one I'm from in upstate NY just don't have any money and are loaded with old people who can barely pay their bills. The only projects on their slate are ones that involve service restrictions and cutting costs (like dissolving the township and turning over management to the state in an effort to avoid taxes).

I'd say go with a larger town because you're more likely to find people with similar values to build coalitions around. A town of about 40k sounds perfect.

The general rule seems to be— the more localized you get to the people, the more bitter the fight.

Yeah but the issue here wasn't cutting spending, it was spending a bunch of money on pointless poo poo that no one needed or wanted.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

NumberLast posted:

Yeah but the issue here wasn't cutting spending, it was spending a bunch of money on pointless poo poo that no one needed or wanted.

That was the last couple weeks of every fiscal year when I worked for the feds. Gotta get rid of all that unspent budget before the next one!

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

^^^^ What he said.

Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on trash cans using excess budget is a positive. It means that those in charge don't have the creative proclivity to find better means for those funds.

So, there are people in charge who mean well, but don't know how to spend the dough, and there is floating capital just looking for a project to land on. That's a good problem for you to have if you want to make a mark. Go for it!

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
The mayor and a few council members were arguing for a city beautification program. Had a budget and plans for everything.

The council voted to go forward with the trashcans instead.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Sounds like you're the voice they need. All you're telling me is that you belong there.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Hajj Podge posted:

I wonder if it's possible to phonebank for some of those state representative and senate candidates Bernie is fundraising for.

i think tim canova has phonebanking set up? or it's something that's gonna happen at least.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jay Williams sent me a letter after I donated and he signed it himself. :3: I wonder how many donations he has actually gotten? I bet his pen isn't running out of ink anytime soon.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

From the latest Canova email:

quote:

There’s a pretty good breakfast place near our headquarters where you can purchase a bagel for $1.35. Including schmear.

But on Tuesday, Debbie Wasserman Schultz is holding a fundraising event where her huge corporate donors — and we're not making this up — will be paying $5,400 to have a bagel with our insider opponent and superdelegate friends. No word yet on if those corporate donors are getting cream cheese with that check.

This is another incredible example of how broken our campaign finance laws have become. It would take a working American making the minimum wage in Florida 671 hours — more than 16 weeks of work — just to be able to afford that bagel and speak with their member of Congress.

I don’t know about you, but that must be some bagel…

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That's soooome bagl!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:bagl:

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

That doesn't mean what you think it means. DWS is very, very likely to keep her seat in Congress. Canova doesn't have much of a chance given DWS having a pretty high approval rating from her constituents. And her constituents are not going to be convinced by Sanders campaigning and or money.

As head of the DNC, thats another matter entirely and i suspect she will lose it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Marlows posted:

That doesn't mean what you think it means. DWS is very, very likely to keep her seat in Congress. Canova doesn't have much of a chance given DWS having a pretty high approval rating from her constituents. And her constituents are not going to be convinced by Sanders campaigning and or money.

As head of the DNC, thats another matter entirely and i suspect she will lose it.

I was more referring to her losing the DNC, but hell I can only hope Canova and pull it off. Thanks for reminding me to donate again as a FL resident.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
is that where the emoticon popped up?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Grognan posted:

is that where the emoticon popped up?

bernie thread yeah

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

something i've noticed:

when bernie knows he's around people who are sympathetic or in agreement with his personal politics, he says "ruling class" instead of "billionaire class".

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

*edit*

oops thought this was the bernie thread

byeeeeee

Classic Comrade has issued a correction as of 23:37 on May 27, 2016

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Im disappointed the headline ends without "into a pit of snakes"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Im disappointed the headline ends without "into a pit of snakes"

She's no Ragnar Lothbrok

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The problem with being content that DWS loses her DNC gig is that seems to largely be the point of the office for both parties. You do a few things and manage some poo poo, and when the party starts looking bad, you axe whoever holds the position in some kind of sacrificial game.

Well, I'm not content :colbert: she needs to lose not only that, but she needs to lose her election. She needs to be disgraced from politics from all time, and everyone like her, who is sure to replace her with someone equally lovely, needs to go too.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm starting from the county level :getin:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hemophilia posted:

The problem with being content that DWS loses her DNC gig is that seems to largely be the point of the office for both parties. You do a few things and manage some poo poo, and when the party starts looking bad, you axe whoever holds the position in some kind of sacrificial game.

Well, I'm not content :colbert: she needs to lose not only that, but she needs to lose her election. She needs to be disgraced from politics from all time, and everyone like her, who is sure to replace her with someone equally lovely, needs to go too.

Ultimately it's s lack of accountability. Politicians are able to get away with anything as long as it's not egregious, with no consequences after reelection. Even if people generally agree they did something lovely/illegal.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

Ultimately it's s lack of accountability. Politicians are able to get away with anything as long as it's not egregious, with no consequences after reelection. Even if people generally agree they did something lovely/illegal.

It's almost as if there's a reason that people seek power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

so uh....

Pinterest Mom posted:

Much of Canova’s campaign literature emphasizes his opposition to the nuclear agreement with Iran, a position shared by many in the district’s large and active Jewish population. Wasserman Schultz backed the deal.

“She’s Jewish; I’m not. But I’ve had a Jewish stepdad for 40 years, and I was a volunteer on a kibbutz. . . . And she voted for the Iran agreement,” he said. “Either she got duped by [Obama deputy national security adviser] Ben Rhodes or she was in on it.”

do u think i should delete ol' timmy from the OP :v:

• Locked thread