Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Domattee posted:

They mentioned this in the video and the invader can neither see nor be damaged by Lorian.

Interesting. My method is different and doesn't involve a straight-up glitch, so I should try it sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hey if you need a Guinea pig for any of this stuff let me know. I need to learn some hack fu so I can invisibly invade while dressed up as Havel and then just stand there and terrify people.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Are there any good weapons for a pure dex build other than the sellsword twinblades, katanas and bows? Pure str has a pretty decent arsenal but I'm finding dex to be pretty anemic. Also got 30/30 int/fth, so got the witch's locks which are pretty cool. How's the gargoyle spear? I was hoping to use a great scythe but it looks to be yet another quality weapon. What about the other scythes?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

just make something sharp. i used sharp exile greatsword on a dex build and it cleans house. also the carthus curved sword is easymode

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Seriously just because you aren't get B+ scaling doesn't mean a weapon is necessarily bad. There are a lot of weapons that do just fine sharp despite not leaning towards dex over str.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Jaaam posted:

Are there any good weapons for a pure dex build other than the sellsword twinblades, katanas and bows? Pure str has a pretty decent arsenal but I'm finding dex to be pretty anemic. Also got 30/30 int/fth, so got the witch's locks which are pretty cool. How's the gargoyle spear? I was hoping to use a great scythe but it looks to be yet another quality weapon. What about the other scythes?

Any quality weapon makes a decent dex weapon with a sharp infusion. Rapiers, whips, daggers, and claws are also all pretty decent if you are willing to adjust your playstyle. Don't use whips as a primary weapon but they are great in certain situations.

Edit: Oh I forgot spears, spears are really good.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 25, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AttackBacon posted:

Any quality weapon makes a decent dex weapon with a sharp infusion. Rapiers, whips, daggers, and claws are also all pretty decent if you are willing to adjust your playstyle. Don't use whips as a primary weapon but they are great in certain situations.

Edit: Oh I forgot spears, spears are really good.

Any good STR weapon becomes a good DEX when sharp infused.
Sharp Reinforced club +10 is E/A.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Does talking to Rosaria in order to respec fucks with Sirris' questline? I haven't interacted with her because of that, so I don't know how it works.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mystic Stylez posted:

Does talking to Rosaria in order to respec fucks with Sirris' questline? I haven't interacted with her because of that, so I don't know how it works.

Accepting the covenant doesn't screw up anything (100% sure on that). Spending the covenant currency is what ruins it no matter what you spend it on, as far as I know.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

DatonKallandor posted:

Accepting the covenant doesn't screw up anything (100% sure on that). Spending the covenant currency is what ruins it no matter what you spend it on, as far as I know.

no, now you can spend the currency on everything except handing them in to increase rank and sirris won't care. so you can respect or reroll your clown face or whatever, but the first time you hand in even one tongue to actually rank up, sirris fucks off forever.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

thats not true. you can respec and change appearance without making sirris mad

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

EC posted:

I can't really keep up with this thread since it moves at 100000 mph, but I wanted to mention this thing. I posted in the Demon's thread this past weekend, and meant to put it here as well but totally forgot:

On topic: I went through the checklist to see what I would have to do to Plat the game, and man, gently caress this All Rings trophy. Everything else is pretty simple but all rings is a nightmare, especially since I've never once been summoned by the BlueBros or WolfBros. gently caress that.

Also :lol: at the CGSR +2 being behind NG++ Nameless King.

Won't people here mostly be saying "I saw the SA/reddit hype, started playing"? :)

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

And using the Deep Battleaxe that you get at the very beginning of the game that is outclassed the second you get it by literally any other weapon infused with Raw.

What's a good weapon for the Deacons/Wolric? I've been using the Deep Battleaxe for a while but have recently been using a fire-infused flamberge +4 since so many enemies do not like fire.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah the exile greatsword is awesome sharp but you need 24 str and I only have 12. I wanna avoid using a 'dex' weapon that gains significant damage from str investment, refined infusion etc cause I have two quality characters that likely already use it. Interesting about the clubs, but I've got a str character as well. I'm looking for stuff only my dex char can do with no str investment. So many dex weapons do poo poo damage unless refined at 40/40, like the murakumo.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What's a good weapon for the Deacons/Wolric? I've been using the Deep Battleaxe for a while but have recently been using a fire-infused flamberge +4 since so many enemies do not like fire.

I should point out that I'm going for a pretty generic strength build, started out as mercenary.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

homeless poster posted:

no, now you can spend the currency on everything except handing them in to increase rank and sirris won't care. so you can respect or reroll your clown face or whatever, but the first time you hand in even one tongue to actually rank up, sirris fucks off forever.

GulagDolls posted:

thats not true. you can respec and change appearance without making sirris mad

Thanks guys, I will finally be able to do that!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Jaaam posted:

Yeah the exile greatsword is awesome sharp but you need 24 str and I only have 12. I wanna avoid using a 'dex' weapon that gains significant damage from str investment, refined infusion etc cause I have two quality characters that likely already use it. Interesting about the clubs, but I've got a str character as well. I'm looking for stuff only my dex char can do with no str investment. So many dex weapons do poo poo damage unless refined at 40/40, like the murakumo.

if you two-hand it all the time you only need 16 strength. it doesn't have any different moves when you 1h it so there's no reason not to

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

I should point out that I'm going for a pretty generic strength build, started out as mercenary.

For str, the winged knight halberd and its endless spins are pretty fun there.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

if you two-hand it all the time you only need 16 strength. it doesn't have any different moves when you 1h it so there's no reason not to

Only being able to 2h a weapon is only worth dealing with at lower levels imo, also I'll have a catalyst/flame/caestus in my off hand so I've got plenty of reasons to want to 1h. And I've lost count of the times I've gone to two hand a weapon in combat for a specific move and died because I switched between message/bloodstain spam instead. Now that's something they're never gonna fix, but it sure would be nice if you could switch them off without going offline.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jaaam posted:

For str, the winged knight halberd and its endless spins are pretty fun there.

Haven't encountered any winged knights yet :smith:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Won't people here mostly be saying "I saw the SA/reddit hype, started playing"? :)

Sure, but you'd be surprised at the different ways things can end up happening. I've recorded like 15 of these things so far and they're all a little bit different from each other. The two SA people I've recorded with so far have been shockingly different.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Haven't encountered any winged knights yet :smith:

You had to pass one to clear before going to the Vordt/dancer stairs.
Theyre the big fat one, with the tiny wings.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

So for the Deacon's anything with reach is good, the more dudes you can hit the better. It's super fun with a big UGS or something where you can just go in and streetsweep the whole room. They are very resistant to Dark damage so getting something other than your Deep Battleaxe would probably be good (the flamberge would work certainly). I personally used the Hollowslayer GS the first time I went through there, worked just fine. You also probably picked up the Astora Greatsword in the graveyard area outside, if you have the stats for it that is a perfect weapon, the two-handed r1's are huge horizontal arcs.

For Wolnir (and Carthus in general) I used the Executioner Greatsword (from the graveyard again) which was just perfect. It trivialized the whole area to be honest. Strike damage is super effective against Skeletons, it shatters them and makes them incredibly easy to fight, even the big nasty Carthus ones. It also works really well against Wolnir himself, I killed him so fast the first time through he never even got to attack once, it was kind of disappointing. I didn't even know he summoned stuff or had a sword until I Sunbro'd there a bit.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
How do I recruit Orbeck of Vinheim? Do I need a certain intelligence score before he'll even talk to me? I remember finding him in the great swamp once, but he politely called me retarded.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

How do I recruit Orbeck of Vinheim? Do I need a certain intelligence score before he'll even talk to me? I remember finding him in the great swamp once, but he politely called me retarded.

Yep, you need 10 int. You can use the scholar ring to get over the limit and you can complete what little there is to his questline after finishing the game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

lite_sleepr posted:

Seek intelligence.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Domattee posted:

Yep, you need 10 int. You can use the scholar ring to get over the limit and you can complete what little there is to his questline after finishing the game.

I think I'm going to just kill him outright because Yuria wants me to.

After my character linked the first flame, she was reborn as a humble herald. Soon after making it to the Road of Sacrifices, she began to forget her missions of command and began hollowing.

I'm going to be the lord of hollows!

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Starting sorcerer hp is 331, dusk crown ring lowers max hp by 20%, so that'd be 265. Power within uses 30% health over its duration, which is 15 seconds or 21 seconds with a lingering dragon crest +2. So that's 80 hp, which is 4-5 hp per second depending. Sun princess ring is 2 hp/second. You could use the shield that restores hp for another 2 per tick but that locks you into using lingering dragoncrest, red tearstone, sun princess and dusk crown as your rings and morion blade as your weapon. There should be a better way! Morion blade should be in your offhand ideally so your main hand can be a better damage dealer.

I think you should be able to run hyper mode until you run out of ash estus one way or another though and with tears of denial it's better than ever since you can always tank one hit I think unless PW drains before your heal tick or something. Obviously you want dragon roar. What's the best hypermode setup?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AttackBacon posted:

good advice

Great, I'll give these a go. I definitely have the Executioner Greatsword.

EC posted:

Sure, but you'd be surprised at the different ways things can end up happening. I've recorded like 15 of these things so far and they're all a little bit different from each other. The two SA people I've recorded with so far have been shockingly different.

Fair enough. I've just started listening and it's good to hear other's early experiences :)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I have some questions

I have tomes in my inventory that are supposed to teach me pyromancy and miracles but I'm not sure who to give them to.

And how many sunlight medals do I need to max out that covenant? More importantly where do I cash them in so to speak, I'm sitting on 29 right now.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Alteisen posted:

So I have some questions

I have tomes in my inventory that are supposed to teach me pyromancy and miracles but I'm not sure who to give them to.

And how many sunlight medals do I need to max out that covenant? More importantly where do I cash them in so to speak, I'm sitting on 29 right now.

If it's the grave warden tome, apparently you need somebody completely different to teach you the thing.

I don't want to be a dick, but i'd wiki it, because some of these assholes might not show up after you did a thing. You gotta go by the numbers big time in this game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sunlight Medals are cashed in pretty late in the game in an optional room near a fog door.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Finally got around to beating the game a week ago. Great game. Not as awesome as the first Dark Souls, but it's definitely up there. About even with Bloodborne I'd say. BB has the better single player experience, but the PVP/co-op in this game is way better.

The last boss was amazing! When he did a ninja flip I lost my poo poo. And all while wielding a katana and using pyro spells. That was pretty much my DS1 build. And then the Gwyn theme kicks in...:unsmith:

Decided to run a bleed build for my second run of the game. Thought about gutting Anri early for her sword. But apparently you need her alive for the hollow ending. Which I'm aiming for this play through. Which means I won't have a weapon that scales with luck until way later. So guess I'll just dump points into Dex first. Luck doesn't help with bleed all that much anyway. Ah well.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
heyooo,

I want to do a Solaire thing and I need someone on Steam to help me transfer my unupgraded Solaire stuff from one character to another. Armor set, shield, sunlight straight sword, talisman. I have both characters standing around the Tower on the Wall bonfire in High Wall. Can anyone help me with this real quick? We'll have to do it via password, because the one character is level 122 and the other is fresh off the banana boat.

edit: alright; it's been like 20 minutes. I don't want to waste anyone's time. If someone is up to schedule this over the next few days, and it will literally take like two minutes, send me a PM and we'll work it out. Thanks!

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 25, 2016

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Holy loving poo poo estocs are the most obnoxious thing ever. I can't loving roll away from one if I get hit no matter which direction I move because the timing on it seems to sync up perfectly with the end of my roll's invincibility frames so it seems like all you have to do is spam R1 4 times as soon as you connect. God help you if you whiff a parry.

Seriously, what do you do if someone knows just enough to not get parry-baited easily? I can't do a thing to punish it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Cyberventurer posted:

Holy loving poo poo estocs are the most obnoxious thing ever. I can't loving roll away from one if I get hit no matter which direction I move because the timing on it seems to sync up perfectly with the end of my roll's invincibility frames so it seems like all you have to do is spam R1 4 times as soon as you connect. God help you if you whiff a parry.

Seriously, what do you do if someone knows just enough to not get parry-baited easily? I can't do a thing to punish it.

Just about any polearm will outrange them and they can't really do much about it. I clown estoc users constantly with the swordspear.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Ah, gorgeous view...

Maybe i should go to the side and get a better view of it...

....Huh. They kinda rushed this one out didn't they?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

Just about any polearm will outrange them and they can't really do much about it. I clown estoc users constantly with the swordspear.
its not terribly difficult to get inside a polearm's range if you have a good shield or just roll a lot

Cyberventurer posted:

if you offhand a caestus or claw you can just mash l2 as soon as they start r1ing and if they press r1 more than twice you are almost guaranteed a parry. if they dont press it more than twice or delay the third hit then it doesnt work. the estoc is really stupid and its annoying how many people swap to it when they start losing. if you have a weapon with good hyperarmor and know when it activates you can also outtrade them. but again that kinda relies on the other person being stupid

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tengames posted:

Ah, gorgeous view...

It's missing that Tanimura Touch that made Dark Souls 2 so wonderful

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tengames posted:

Ah, gorgeous view...

Yeah the game is not very finished and all the flaws in the environment like that are a pretty big indicator. I think the quality of the environments has always been a sign of how much time they were able to put into any given part of these games. For example lost izalith is known as the low point of dark souls 1, and there's a part right next to the boss door where you can see through the world like in your screen. Earthen peak in dark souls 2 is similarly pretty unfinished, and if you turn around in front of mytha's door there's just nothing but a featureless wall of bricks at the top of the tower. The DLCs in 2 obviously suffered the most in the co-op areas because namco was pushing them out with just a month between releases, and those environments are some of the most boring in the series. There's absolutely nothing interesting in cave of the dead, iron passage, or the memory where you fight sir alonne.

Weirdly I have never found a seam in the environments in the bloodborne chalice dungeons even though those are procedurally generated, although I have found certain other issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR3tO1Lbudc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

if you offhand a caestus or claw you can just mash l2 as soon as they start r1ing and if they press r1 more than twice you are almost guaranteed a parry. if they dont press it more than twice or delay the third hit then it doesnt work. the estoc is really stupid and its annoying how many people swap to it when they start losing. if you have a weapon with good hyperarmor and know when it activates you can also outtrade them. but again that kinda relies on the other person being stupid

I didn't have a parryable off-hand. :( My only option was to put away my scythe (no hyperarmor) and my talisman from my left hand, and try to parry barehanded that way. Once I parried them twice, though, they started delaying their attacks a bit and I wasn't able to get them again.

I'm playing at a low level though, so the only polearm I have available is the pike, and I don't have any raw gems to set it up.