Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Crazyeyes posted:

Janeway is better as a psychotic Russian mob wife/soup Nazi than she was ever a Starfleet captain.

https://youtu.be/GZ8dOOzRo1M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Blistex posted:

I love how the original series is the only one that got their token Asian character right.

George Takei: Japanese, portraying Japanese Crewmember
Rosalind Chao: Chinese, portraying a Japanese Crewmember
Garrett Wang: Chinese, portraying a Korean Crewmember
Linda Park: Korean, portraying a Japanese Crewmember
John Cho: Korean, portraying a Japanese Crewmember

Patrick Stewart was an enlishman playing a frenchman with an english accent

Ethan Phillips was a human playing a talaxian

They can't get anything right

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
James Doohan is actually Canadian playing a Scotsman

Although he was never actually a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force, Doohan was once labeled the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Force". In the late spring of 1945, on Salisbury Plain north of RAF Andover, he slalomed a plane between telegraph poles "to prove it could be done"—earning himself a serious reprimand. (Various accounts cite the plane as a Hurricane or a jet trainer; however, it was a Mark IV Auster.)[15][16]

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCWYm7B_B4

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
NTSF:SUV:SD was awesome wish it hadn't been canceled.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

criscodisco posted:

The time he got an STD from some alien chick should have been a tentacle rape scene

yeah and the one time he actually got laid janeway completely busted his balls

like i think she even basically said "if it was tom paris i wouldn't really give a poo poo but i am very disappointed in you, mister!!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

James Doohan is actually Canadian playing a Scotsman

Although he was never actually a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force, Doohan was once labeled the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Force". In the late spring of 1945, on Salisbury Plain north of RAF Andover, he slalomed a plane between telegraph poles "to prove it could be done"—earning himself a serious reprimand. (Various accounts cite the plane as a Hurricane or a jet trainer; however, it was a Mark IV Auster.)[15][16]

Doohan was also a legit war hero.

quote:

He first saw combat landing at Juno Beach on D-Day. Shooting two snipers, Doohan led his men to higher ground through a field of anti-tank mines, where they took defensive positions for the night. Crossing between command posts at 11:30 that night, Doohan was hit by six rounds fired from a Bren Gun by a nervous Canadian sentry:[10] four in his leg, one in the chest, and one through his right middle finger. The bullet to his chest was stopped by a silver cigarette case given to him by his brother.[citation needed]His right middle finger had to be amputated, something he would conceal during his career as an actor.

He was also one of the first dudes behind the scenes to develop the Klingon and Vulcan languages heard in the films.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
That's why he's in command when the away team is away

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Still can't believe Picard was such a dick to him with that "you're drinking the gift I got Guinan" passive aggressive poo poo.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Because of all you goddamn nerds, I just had to look up what episode that was and watch the whole thing. The last time I read a GBS Star Trek thread, I watched all of DS9.

You will not get me to watch Voyager!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

treiz01 posted:

Because of all you goddamn nerds, I just had to look up what episode that was and watch the whole thing. The last time I read a GBS Star Trek thread, I watched all of DS9.

Yeah we will

naem
May 29, 2011

Voyager was an almost good fan roll play of tng

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

That loving avatar :captainpop:

But seriously, nothing could compel me to watch all of Voyager again. I slogged through DS9 in its entirety, and there were definitely some painful episodes... But loving Voyager? Nah. I watched every episode growing up and saw it in syndication a lot. I would rather watch any other Trek again.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

treiz01 posted:

Come on. I'll start too. Who's with me?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

The General posted:

Honestly one of the things holding me back is the idea of watching a 4:3 aspect ratio show in TYOOL 2016

With a 90's TV show budget. Modern big budget shows have ruined me.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That'll just piss you off for a few episodes. You'll adjust. Everything else will be the true test. Worse than Klingon pain sticks and infinitely longer.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

The General posted:

That'll just piss you off for a few episodes. You'll adjust. Everything else will be the true test. Worse than Klingon pain sticks and infinitely longer.

Voyager is the Star Trek equivalent of a third-rate procedural crime drama.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
How did the series end anyway? Did they ever make it home?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Vakal posted:

Yeah they hid inside a borg ship and used a transwarp conduit to make it back to earth after 7 seasons of blandness

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I've seen every episode and movie of trek multiple times, except for one: "threshold". I just can't bring myself to watch it, even once.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

rocket_man38 posted:

I've seen every episode and movie of trek multiple times, except for one: "threshold". I just can't bring myself to watch it, even once.

Seen it, twice : (

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
On the 5th season of my 5th rewatch. The only ones i skip are the gay captain proton episodes.

I also like voyager better than lame space 9

Harry kim and the kimtones forever

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

rocket_man38 posted:

But it won a daytime Emmy or something.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I remember hearing a rumour back in the day that they were considering bringing Voyager back to the Alpha quadrant around season 4 or so, and turning it into something more like TNG. That would have been way better (but it still would have been bad because Voyager).

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I remember hearing a rumour back in the day that they were considering bringing Voyager back to the Alpha quadrant around season 4 or so, and turning it into something more like TNG. That would have been way better (but it still would have been bad because Voyager).

The problem is, without the whole "stranded far from home" thing there is no reason for the crew to stay together.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

treiz01 posted:

The problem is, without the whole "stranded far from home" thing there is no reason for the crew to stay together.

there wasn't a reason for the crew to stay together anyway

there was literally a million times where the marquis should have said, no, gently caress you, this is our ship now and we are just going to be space pirates. there are like 3 episodes when they even remember they are marquis and not just starfleet officers. i guess Janeway just flipped the doctor's evil switch (cf. Equinox, prob best episode and what the series should have been) and had their memories scrubbed when they 'joined'.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

chaosbreather posted:

there wasn't a reason for the crew to stay together anyway

there was literally a million times where the marquis should have said, no, gently caress you, this is our ship now and we are just going to be space pirates. there are like 3 episodes when they even remember they are marquis and not just starfleet officers. i guess Janeway just flipped the doctor's evil switch (cf. Equinox, prob best episode and what the series should have been) and had their memories scrubbed when they 'joined'.

But it's true that if they were back in the Alpha quadrant they would have even less reason to stick together :colbert:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

treiz01 posted:

But it's true that if they were back in the Alpha quadrant they would have even less reason to stick together :colbert:

Well yeah, in the alpha quadrant janeway would hand them all in for trial and they'd be imprisoned in New Zealand until they decided to rat on Janeway for a better deal

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVdH1GomPTk

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

The Sphinxster posted:

Uh dude, Jap is not the preferred nomenclature.

I don't know a single Japanese person who dislikes the term. It's not even a slur to anyone who wasn't involved in ww2, just a shortened form of the word "Japanese". The JDF dudes we had training with us for a bit used the term in official documentation as the identifier for their own aircraft crews like "team JAP 1".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the funny thing about robert beltran is that he kept coming up with more and more grandiose things for chakotay to do, in the hope that he'd get fired

pretty sure the seven of nine/chakotay relationship was one of those things, which is why it just sort of came out of nowhere

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

treiz01 posted:

Voyager is the Star Trek equivalent of a third-rate procedural crime drama.

That's right. You won't hate yourself for watching it but you'll feel like you could've done something more interesting with your life instead using all those hours to watch a show that's too bland to be terrible.

Vakal posted:

Voyager died as it lived. Another wasted opportunity. You spend 7 sessions waiting for these people to get home but they never show what they do after they get home. DS9 had a great scene on its finale that did that. MASH did too. It's like the writers had a bunch of great ideas for this show but decided to do the exact opposite of every one instead.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

the funny thing about robert beltran is that he kept coming up with more and more grandiose things for chakotay to do, in the hope that he'd get fired

pretty sure the seven of nine/chakotay relationship was one of those things, which is why it just sort of came out of nowhere

I remember reading that he really hated that because it came out of nowhere. Chakotay had a cool gadget that sent you on psychedelic hallucinations with your spirit animal. They shelved it after the first season. Chakotay's dirty secret should've been that he was always tripping balls on duty.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Monkey Fracas posted:

poo poo there's 7 seasons of this

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Automatic Slim posted:

That's right. You won't hate yourself for watching it but you'll feel like you could've done something more interesting with your life instead using all those hours to watch a show that's too bland to be terrible.

Voyager died as it lived. Another wasted opportunity. You spend 7 sessions waiting for these people to get home but they never show what they do after they get home. DS9 had a great scene on its finale that did that. MASH did too. It's like the writers had a bunch of great ideas for this show but decided to do the exact opposite of every one instead.

voyager's a strange show

what was it, the producers told all the human cast members to be as flat as possible so the aliens had more of a time to shine? all sorts of weird things have come out all these years later

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Milky Moor posted:

voyager's a strange show

what was it, the producers told all the human cast members to be as flat as possible so the aliens had more of a time to shine? all sorts of weird things have come out all these years later

You criticize, but you can't say it wasn't worth it for the lasting impact the series has had on our culture. Has anyone ever gone a single week without hearing someone dropping a casual reference to First Maje Culluh?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

The General posted:

I'm watching it, but not like actually watching it

It's background noise and I feel like that's all it deserves

I wonder if this is like the other Star Trek shows where they take a season or two to really hit their stride

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 25, 2016

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Monkey Fracas posted:

You might just be better off having the standard bridge nothing is happening playing as background noise.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wonder if this is like the other Star Trek shows where they take a season or two to really hit their stride

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Star Trek Voyager hits its limping, pained stride in the very first episode

"UUrrgghh why did you creattee meeeee" says Star Trek Voyager