Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oxxidation posted:

It doesn't. Deku just keeps trying to rush things by being so darned self-sacrificing all the time, and his lack of proper training/physical conditioning combined with OfA's incremental power gain is ripping his body apart.

Yeah. All Might was extremely physically fit from the start, and easily got a handle on his power. That combined with him not immediately jumping into heroics resulted in things being rather different for him.

Though, now I'm wondering; All Might was originally quirkless, but he also got into Yueii. Was he given One For All at a really young age as well, then? How long ago did that happen, given that the previous owner is implied to be Shigaraki's mother? Alternatively he made it into Yueii solely on being buff as hell and got OFA afterward, but I doubt that, amazing as it would be. Also he had to have at least gotten it before leaving Yueii, since Gran Torino became a teacher there specifically to train him because he inherited OFA (though that admittedly doesn't rule out him getting it after getting in).

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Oxxidation posted:

It doesn't. Deku just keeps trying to rush things by being so darned self-sacrificing all the time, and his lack of proper training/physical conditioning combined with OfA's incremental power gain is ripping his body apart.

regardless the entire point is deku is learning to cope with it differently than all might had to.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it'll end up in a seinen manga once deku realises he needs to start taking steroids to get maximum power

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Uraraka will die and Midoriya will make a deal with the devil so that they never met at the exam and he passed anyway somehow.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wouldn't be surprised if Deku eventually got some kind of "super" form that let him use One for All more easily, but I doubt it'll be some big muscly form like All Might.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He will turn into a burly version of his goofy original costume in an ironic twist

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah. All Might was extremely physically fit from the start, and easily got a handle on his power. That combined with him not immediately jumping into heroics resulted in things being rather different for him.

Though, now I'm wondering; All Might was originally quirkless, but he also got into Yueii. Was he given One For All at a really young age as well, then? How long ago did that happen, given that the previous owner is implied to be Shigaraki's mother? Alternatively he made it into Yueii solely on being buff as hell and got OFA afterward, but I doubt that, amazing as it would be. Also he had to have at least gotten it before leaving Yueii, since Gran Torino became a teacher there specifically to train him because he inherited OFA (though that admittedly doesn't rule out him getting it after getting in).

All Might's original quirk was to transform into his muscle form unless I misunderstood.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SpazmasterX posted:

All Might's original quirk was to transform into his muscle form unless I misunderstood.

All Might straight up tells Deku he used to be Quirkless, just like he was.

A lot of people don't seem to get this, despite the manga flat out telling you at least three times as far as I remember, but All Might's buff form isn't some kind of Super Saiyan or Hulk type thing, All Might is just a really huge buff guy and always has been. Now, a few years back he got real hosed up by All for One, so now he is near-dead, but can still fake it when he has to.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all might is like the bizarro world version of letting oneself go

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rohan Kishibe posted:

All Might straight up tells Deku he used to be Quirkless, just like he was.

A lot of people don't seem to get this, despite the manga flat out telling you at least three times as far as I remember, but All Might's buff form isn't some kind of Super Saiyan or Hulk type thing, All Might is just a really huge buff guy and always has been. Now, a few years back he got real hosed up by All for One, so now he is near-dead, but can still fake it when he has to.

no unless it was a translation error his "emaciated" form was stated as his true form, one for all makes him buff. (i assume his true form before getting hosed up was probably a bit more buff than that but his muscle form is some sort of trick of one for all)

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Vol-001-Ch-007-005--Volume-001-Omake?id=218790

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 25, 2016

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

It's super clear. All Might also goes on about wanting to be portrayed as a "natural born hero" a lot, for some reason. All Might has no quirk, but OfA was created with AfO passed on a compounding strength quirk to a person who already had a quirk to transfer quirks (which is pretty useless unless you have more than one quirk.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If All Might was originally a twig he never would have mastered 14a so easily. The whole point is that extreme physical fitness and time are necessary to use 14a without breaking all your bones. Deku is tiny and he started out incredibly weak, so he has even more trouble.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
well all might was actually said to be a prodigy at understanding and using OFA so it's possible that the big biff body was a way he used the power to mitigate the blowback

and i even said he was likely a bit more buff than he is currently but all might size is not his true form

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Elfgames posted:

no unless it was a translation error his "emaciated" form was stated as his true form, one for all makes him buff. (i assume his true form before getting hosed up was probably a bit more buff than that but his muscle form is some sort of trick of one for all)

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Vol-001-Ch-007-005--Volume-001-Omake?id=218790

It's not a translation error, it's a reading error. His emaciated form IS his true form, since he is now missing like half his organs and has been hosed up to the point where he should probably be dead. But what I'm saying, and what is clear in the manga, is that it's not like Toshinori was always some scrawny weakling and the only reason he is buff is because of One for All. The reason All Might is buff is because he worked out and is a giant and he never skipped leg day, he mastered One for All with little issue because he makes the Rock look like Steve Buscemi. Now he can fake it, returning to what he really looks like, One for All probably helps with this somehow, but who cares?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
i wish One For All was instead Once And For All so he could finally lay this dumb argument to rest

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This does not look like a scrawny dude.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Roland Jones posted:

It's probably a similar story to Deku, only All Might realized from the start that he was going to have to work his rear end off if he was going to be a hero without a quirk. So he probably started out in super shape to start with and was dealing with an inheritance one order of magnitude less than Deku is now.

If his teacher wasn't on deaths door when she transfered One For All to him, he probably got both a more gradual power bump and better instruction. All Might being a lovely instructor is also a running element. All Might probably didn't just go all in on every use immediately like Deku either. Given he was already built like The Rock and seems to have had more than 3 hours to get used to One For All before his first trial, he probably started out with increasing weight to move until he got the hang of it.

Deku on the other hand has spent the entire manga just doing emergency cram sessions, so of course he goes all out from the start.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually All Might was probably just a natural at it. It's why he took to the power so easily and why he has so much trouble understanding Deku's problems.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
All Might be terrible at teaching Deku how to use 14a, but he was an expert when it came to planning Deku's workout routine. I figure that he was a fitness nut in his youth.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

It's probably a similar story to Deku, only All Might realized from the start that he was going to have to work his rear end off if he was going to be a hero without a quirk. So he probably started out in super shape to start with and was dealing with an inheritance one order of magnitude less than Deku is now.

If his teacher wasn't on deaths door when she transfered One For All to him, he probably got both a more gradual power bump and better instruction. All Might being a lovely instructor is also a running element. All Might probably didn't just go all in on every use immediately like Deku either. Given he was already built like The Rock and seems to have had more than 3 hours to get used to One For All before his first trial, he probably started out with increasing weight to move until he got the hang of it.

Deku on the other hand has spent the entire manga just doing emergency cram sessions, so of course he goes all out from the start.

His predecessor might have been dying when she passed it, it's hard to say. I think Gran Torino taught him because she was dead at that point, at least, and he was familiar with OFA because the two were good friends. (Which... Maybe it was Shigaraki's grandmother who had OFA, not his mother, given the possible time scale here. That's a considerably younger-looking Gran Torino in the flashback where he's training All Might, at least.) Either way, though, he definitely had far longer before he started heroing with his power.

Like I said, we know that, at the latest, he got OFA in high school. It's possible he got it even sooner. Meanwhile, his "debut", that video Deku obsessed over? That looked like an adult All Might. There were years between him getting the power and him using it actively, and given his first feat with it (rescuing hundreds of people from a disaster), he definitely had it mastered by that point. It's how he was able to make such a big impact; out of nowhere, he starting achieving veritable miracles.

But yes, it was also stated by Gran Torino that he was just fit as hell even before all that, and that he took to the power naturally despite being quirkless. That's why he's so bad at teaching Deku how to control it; he isn't able to help Deku as much because he himself never faced those hardships.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Serious Frolicking posted:

All Might be terrible at teaching Deku how to use 14a, but he was an expert when it came to planning Deku's workout routine. I figure that he was a fitness nut in his youth.

That makes a surprising amount of sense, actually.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

His predecessor might have been dying when she passed it, it's hard to say. I think Gran Torino taught him because she was dead at that point, at least, and he was familiar with OFA because the two were good friends. (Which... Maybe it was Shigaraki's grandmother who had OFA, not his mother, given the possible time scale here. That's a considerably younger-looking Gran Torino in the flashback where he's training All Might, at least.) Either way, though, he definitely had far longer before he started heroing with his power.

Like I said, we know that, at the latest, he got OFA in high school. It's possible he got it even sooner. Meanwhile, his "debut", that video Deku obsessed over? That looked like an adult All Might. There were years between him getting the power and him using it actively, and given his first feat with it (rescuing hundreds of people from a disaster), he definitely had it mastered by that point. It's how he was able to make such a big impact; out of nowhere, he starting achieving veritable miracles.

Of course... that's why her name is Nana....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ODA THE GOD.

DOES IT AGAIN.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As for Deku's full cowl being some different way of using OfA than the way All Might uses it, I didn't get that impression at all. If anything, the full cowl thing is Deku attempting to use it in the same way All Might does, through applying the power throughout his entire body at a level he can withstand.

Space-Bird posted:

Obligation Chocolates are real though, not just an anime thing. Yeah you can have characters in anime be 'tsundere' and be like 'they're only obligation chocolates , baka!" or whatever. I think it's just a silly gag.

I know they're a real thing, but "girl actually liking a guy and telling him chocolates are just obligation chocolates out of shyness and/or being tsundere" is also definitely a trope that exists and what is being referenced in that image. Otherwise it makes no sense for the girl in that picture to be throwing them at him while looking the other way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I don't think it's different. the full cowl is just him using one for all on his entire body; it has a name for deku because of course it would. the different look is just to let you, the reader, know it's in effect. all might wouldn't need that since he just beefs up

Jintor
May 19, 2014

By the way, when did it start being called Full Cowl? I missed the transition. I guess it was after the Sports Festival? The first time I recall the terminology was around the Stain arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
All Might inflating and shrinking doesn't really jive with anything else we know about 14a. Maybe All Might learned how to use it in some less than obvious ways?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jintor posted:

By the way, when did it start being called Full Cowl? I missed the transition. I guess it was after the Sports Festival? The first time I recall the terminology was around the Stain arc.

Chapter 49.

He starts using it full body during the training arc, which is right before the Stain arc.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, in the festival he's still using it localized, on-and-off, hence him doing things like breaking his fingers to attack in his fight with Todoroki.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All Might being a fitness buff would make sense if he just immediately started doing the full cowl thing that Deku only figured out after multiple grisly compound fractures. Deku thinks punch, and puts all of the power into throwing a punch. All Might thinks punch and applies the power throughout his body because he realizes that a good punch requires more than just your fist and shoulder. After Deku figures out full cowl, the only real injuries he's caused himself is from going having to go beyond his limits due to circumstances.

I forget, do we know if his base full cowl has increased from 5% power since he figured it out?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hang on, did I miss something? When was it stated that the person who gave 14A to All Might was a lady? Are we just now assuming that because of that one hypothetical panel?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hang on, did I miss something? When was it stated that the person who gave 14A to All Might was a lady? Are we just now assuming that because of that one hypothetical panel?

All For One mentioned the previous holder's name in the latest chapter. "Shimura Nana". That implies two things:
  • They're related to Shigaraki (whose real name is Shimura Tenko), though we already knew this since Gran Torino referred to the past holder as "Shimura" a few times.
  • They're a woman, given the name "Nana".

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Hm.

I've been so busy moving ... I honestly can't even remember what happened in the last chapter except for the one shot of All Might's weakened hand smooshed on AF1's face.

I'll have to reread most of the stuff I've read this week.

Back to boxes! Thanks.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Like, half of humanity consists of ladies and there's a lot of female super heroes as demonstrated alreay, it's highly implausible statistically that no prior OfA holder was a woman

I'm just excited we might actually get to see one in action (through flashbacks).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Like, half of humanity consists of ladies and there's a lot of female super heroes as demonstrated alreay, it's highly implausible statistically that no prior OfA holder was a woman

That's very statistically plausible given that it is a comic book world.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yes, but I saw people talking about the person who gave it to all might seeming so certain about it, which confused me and my malfunctioning memory.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Being a fitness nut is also a good idea for anyone who has OfA, it's a strength compounding ability, so what you put into it affects what the next in line gets out of it.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the quirk is usually passed on to the physically minded because of this.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This does not look like a scrawny dude.

He was pretty clearly buff, but getting his chest carved out has hosed him up pretty big. I thought that was kind of obvious?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, in the festival he's still using it localized, on-and-off, hence him doing things like breaking his fingers to attack in his fight with Todoroki.

Deku needs to kick more. It seems to be effective.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I feel like, if All-Might had told Deku to "figure it out" instead of to "clench your rear end and yell smash" Deku might be doing better. Of course, without that smash, he might not have gotten past the hero trial thing in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

HenryEx posted:

i wish One For All was instead Once And For All so he could finally lay this dumb argument to rest

made me think of this