Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

cenotaph posted:

GMT published the Combat Commander rulebook, the greatest rulebook known to humanity. On the other hand, they publish Mark Herman rulebooks.

STOP!

At this point you have the basic rules and concepts for playing
a game of Churchill. What follows are the detailed procedures
and rules. They have been organized in this way so the procedures
are easy to find during play.*

*Two of these three statements are false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

CaptainRightful posted:

STOP!

So what follows that paragraph, then?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sonatinas posted:

Wizkidz.jpg , right is retail and left is replacement

Holy poo poo, they exist? I sent in my request in December and still haven't gotten a reply. I've sent more emails to them regarding my replacement request that are also still unanswered.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

cenotaph posted:

GMT published the Combat Commander rulebook, the greatest rulebook known to humanity. On the other hand, they publish Mark Herman Ben Hull rulebooks.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

CaptainRightful posted:

STOP!

That's still better than the Imperial Assault rulebook. They make the rules reference seems like an appendix when really you should read through it all before you play, especially if you're the host/Empire.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Hauki posted:

Holy poo poo, they exist? I sent in my request in December and still haven't gotten a reply. I've sent more emails to them regarding my replacement request that are also still unanswered.

They just showed up one day. However notice something is missing in the replacement tokens.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Even calling it a rulebook is generous.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
You should read the rulebook for neandertahl. I'm gonna need to finish my night classes in abstract alien language decrypting but it'll be a blast once I do.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

OmegaGoo posted:

So what follows that paragraph, then?

80% of the rulebook. If you tried to play using just the information preceding that message, you'd be completely lost.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
To play this game, unfold the map, put the counters on it, and move the pieces around until one side wins.

STOP! You now know all you need to know to play Game. What follows is a detailed description of the rules.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Played the Spinning Mule variant of Arkwright on Sunday. This version is a blend between the intro game and the beast that's Waterframe. Having never played Arkwright before, but other heavy games, this was a great starting point.

Arkwright is everything I wanted out of a factory simulation. You have to worry about wages, market shares, capital, hiring workers, overhead and other costs, choosing upgrades for your factories, marketing & distribution (even if it's abstracted), upgrading obsolete factories, opening new factories to get into markets with unmet demand, and so much more. Your opponents can also be jerks and try to out compete you out of market by making better products or taking the Wizkids route and offer cheap junk.

Here's the kicker, you only get four actions a round over three rounds. Also after every action one type of factory has its production run and you collect profit and pay your workers.

The whole goal of this is to bump you stock price up while buying as much as you can. Stock is the only thing that matters when the game ends. Too bad there isn't any stock fuckery you can do like in 1830 or its ilk. You can only buy your own and you don't have to sort about dividends and such.

Great game. If you like heavy economic games I can't see you not liking this. And I haven't played the full game that adds more stuff like shipping contracts, more rounds, and even more ways to customize your factories. Arkwright definitely deserves the Golden Elephant it won in 2014, and definitely deserves your attention.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
How long did that take you? Think I could take it to a game night if I was pretty solid on the rules?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have an opened but unplayed first edition Arkwright and I'm wondering if I should sell it and pick up the second edition.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

T-Bone posted:

How long did that take you? Think I could take it to a game night if I was pretty solid on the rules?

Only about 2 hours or so as Spinning Jenny/Mule are shortish. Waterframe I can see being 4+.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Cool, I'll crack that fucker open soon. Mega64 get ready for some Cuba Libre/Arkwright action at your family neighborhood meetup.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Malloreon posted:

I have an opened but unplayed first edition Arkwright and I'm wondering if I should sell it and pick up the second edition.

I think Capstone is selling upgrade kits if you want the new variants and tile fixes.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I played Descent 2e w/ the Road to Legend app with my buddy last night and surprisingly it was a blast. I kind of actively hated Descent 2e when I played it a few months back with my girlfriend and another friend. I hated being the Overlord and actively trying to ruin their plans, and I hated the snowball effect that would happen if the Overlord won, and the tablet app solves all of that and makes it a fully co-op game.

It's cool starting out with just one tile and then having the game slowly reveal itself to you as you explore and open doors. Plus there's an invisible timer ticking down and between rounds worse and worse random events start occurring which will eventually wipe the party if you don't complete the objectives in time (it kind of felt like when your deck runs out of cards in Hearthstone and you keep taking more and more damage every turn). The monster groups have simplistic "AI" routines that the tablet has you run through, and it was less boring and frustrating than "the Overlord just keeps spawning more enemies over and over." Enemies would spawn in at specific ambush points and pick on specific characters in the party. Plus, the app pulls random monster types based on which expansions you own, so if you have a bunch of expansion content it makes the early-game campaign stuff more unpredictable and varied. From my understanding, the game will dynamically throw harder encounters at you if you are moving quickly and haven't had any KOed heroes yet (it also introduces a fail state where if your heroes are KOed too many times, you lose the quest, so there's no more of the infinite reviving that was present in Descent 2e).

Then, after finishing a quest, the game shows you a world map and you can head into town and buy and sell items, as well as allocating Exp skills to your heroes. Each in-game week, the shop has new items to buy for you. It was fun handing my buddy the tablet and saying "alright buy yourself something nice but leave some gold for me" and then he picked out a cool rune for his necromancer while I got to grab a nice new axe for my drunk dwarf boy. We decided to save 75 gold or so for next time. Then, in between main story quests, the game tosses side quests at you which you can do for extra gold and fame points. The game also generates random travel events for you between quests (we were approached by a bard and gave him 10 of our gold, and he sang a good good song about us).

It was a lot of fun, and I would earnestly recommend it if you have a copy of Descent 2e gathering dust. The whole affair is just a lot more fun when you're cooperating against a non-human Overlord.

fake edit: oh, and the app basically allows you to save your game mid-quest, so if someone has to leave, you can pack it up and the app will remind you pretty closely what the situation was when you left off (you might have to jot down some HP/fatigue/conditions stats on your own, but otherwise the app has a full log of what's happened up to then, minus exact enemy group placement, but you could always fudge that when you pick the game up again). And it's got music and ambient sound effects! Neat!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just started reading this thread again and I picked it up from where I left off: a page right before Rutibex's custom homemade TALISMAN beauty. :catstare: :eyepop: :captainpop: :wtc:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

T-Bone posted:

Cool, I'll crack that fucker open soon. Mega64 get ready for some Cuba Libre/Arkwright action at your family neighborhood meetup.

Bring it. :unsmigghh:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm definitely looking forward to the new Arkwright stuff. Waterframe was already good, and the Self Actor modules sounds like they could shake things up.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

Durendal posted:

Played the Spinning Mule variant of Arkwright on Sunday. This version is a blend between the intro game and the beast that's Waterframe. Having never played Arkwright before, but other heavy games, this was a great starting point.

Arkwright is everything I wanted out of a factory simulation. You have to worry about wages, market shares, capital, hiring workers, overhead and other costs, choosing upgrades for your factories, marketing & distribution (even if it's abstracted), upgrading obsolete factories, opening new factories to get into markets with unmet demand, and so much more. Your opponents can also be jerks and try to out compete you out of market by making better products or taking the Wizkids route and offer cheap junk.

Here's the kicker, you only get four actions a round over three rounds. Also after every action one type of factory has its production run and you collect profit and pay your workers.

The whole goal of this is to bump you stock price up while buying as much as you can. Stock is the only thing that matters when the game ends. Too bad there isn't any stock fuckery you can do like in 1830 or its ilk. You can only buy your own and you don't have to sort about dividends and such.

Great game. If you like heavy economic games I can't see you not liking this. And I haven't played the full game that adds more stuff like shipping contracts, more rounds, and even more ways to customize your factories. Arkwright definitely deserves the Golden Elephant it won in 2014, and definitely deserves your attention.

Glad you dig it so much!

The shipping changes EVERYTHING. The markets can get quite cutthroat and the games you can play with your share price (due to it moving back when you ship) make for even more interesting decisions.

And Waterframe, for us, takes, dead on, 1hr/player.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

dropkickpikachu posted:

I played Descent 2e w/ the Road to Legend app with my buddy last night and surprisingly it was a blast. I kind of actively hated Descent 2e when I played it a few months back with my girlfriend and another friend. I hated being the Overlord and actively trying to ruin their plans, and I hated the snowball effect that would happen if the Overlord won, and the tablet app solves all of that and makes it a fully co-op game.

It's cool starting out with just one tile and then having the game slowly reveal itself to you as you explore and open doors. Plus there's an invisible timer ticking down and between rounds worse and worse random events start occurring which will eventually wipe the party if you don't complete the objectives in time (it kind of felt like when your deck runs out of cards in Hearthstone and you keep taking more and more damage every turn). The monster groups have simplistic "AI" routines that the tablet has you run through, and it was less boring and frustrating than "the Overlord just keeps spawning more enemies over and over." Enemies would spawn in at specific ambush points and pick on specific characters in the party. Plus, the app pulls random monster types based on which expansions you own, so if you have a bunch of expansion content it makes the early-game campaign stuff more unpredictable and varied. From my understanding, the game will dynamically throw harder encounters at you if you are moving quickly and haven't had any KOed heroes yet (it also introduces a fail state where if your heroes are KOed too many times, you lose the quest, so there's no more of the infinite reviving that was present in Descent 2e).

Then, after finishing a quest, the game shows you a world map and you can head into town and buy and sell items, as well as allocating Exp skills to your heroes. Each in-game week, the shop has new items to buy for you. It was fun handing my buddy the tablet and saying "alright buy yourself something nice but leave some gold for me" and then he picked out a cool rune for his necromancer while I got to grab a nice new axe for my drunk dwarf boy. We decided to save 75 gold or so for next time. Then, in between main story quests, the game tosses side quests at you which you can do for extra gold and fame points. The game also generates random travel events for you between quests (we were approached by a bard and gave him 10 of our gold, and he sang a good good song about us).

It was a lot of fun, and I would earnestly recommend it if you have a copy of Descent 2e gathering dust. The whole affair is just a lot more fun when you're cooperating against a non-human Overlord.

fake edit: oh, and the app basically allows you to save your game mid-quest, so if someone has to leave, you can pack it up and the app will remind you pretty closely what the situation was when you left off (you might have to jot down some HP/fatigue/conditions stats on your own, but otherwise the app has a full log of what's happened up to then, minus exact enemy group placement, but you could always fudge that when you pick the game up again). And it's got music and ambient sound effects! Neat!

I want this for Imperial Assault so bad.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Radioactive Toy posted:

I want this for Imperial Assault so bad.

Me too.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

dropkickpikachu posted:

drat, that sounds awesome.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

sonatinas posted:

They just showed up one day. However notice something is missing in the replacement tokens.

Wtf. They forgot the Vampirism icon?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

medchem posted:

Wtf. They forgot the Vampirism icon?

Yeah. Who knows when that will be fixed.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

sonatinas posted:

Yeah. Who knows when that will be fixed.

I'm pretty comfortable the answer to that is never.

I'm actually trying to figure out the least ugly way to fix it on my own replacement counters (realizing I am very clumsy, so sophisticated print and glue methods and the like will not end well).

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cut the icon out in GIMP and print it as transparent stickers. Works great.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Got to play the Commands & Colours: Napoleonics stranded on my shelf again after a long while. Good fun as it always has been, though went a bit slow as opp was unfamiliar with the series. Good thing that once you know the (simple) basics it carries over to the rest of the series, but as I think the last C&C I've been teaching was Memoir the teaching bit took a bit longer than I expected. Well, next time straight to battle and I think we can fit two plays of the scenario in the evening.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

I'm actually trying to figure out the least ugly way to fix it on my own replacement counters (realizing I am very clumsy, so sophisticated print and glue methods and the like will not end well).

Have you tried a print and play service? I think a counter sheet is $1 plus shipping.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Has anyone gotten Falling Sky to the table yet? It's my first COIN game. I have done the tutorial and am playing through it again solo. I still am having trouble seeing when, approximately, it makes sense for the Arverni to Devastate.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

I just used a marker. Not fancy, but doesn't add any heft.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Hey if there was one supplement on earth to get for Descent 2 (or maybe two of the cheap ones) which ones are the most bang for the buck?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

Is that the only monster that has a mistake? Because you could just, you know, remember?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

CaptainRightful posted:

Is that the only monster that has a mistake? Because you could just, you know, remember?

I think when I examined the pieces, that was the only mistake.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

CaptainRightful posted:

The only one known, yes.

But I don't do memory. Particularly in a game like Mage Knight, where the graphics aren't the best, there are roughly 100 monsters, and on top of all the game rules and poo poo I'm supposed to remember, I don't want to remember that, "Oh yeah, this is the 1 counter in 100 that forgot that symbol," when I play the game every six months.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SlyFrog posted:

Take a piece of A4 paper and use it as a guide to cut out a piece of cardboard from a cereal box (so that the box is exactly the size of the paper). Then just print out two sheets of counters (front and back) and glue them to both sides of the cereal box. For a nice laminated finish you can put a layer of masking tape over top. Press the glue into it by leaving it overnight under some heavy books.

Finally take a token from the normal game and an exacto knife and cut around your cereal box tokens to make them match the size of the originals.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:siren: ATTENTION EVERYONE! :siren:

This is your weekly reminder that for anyone who likes poo poo like Eclipse and wants more 4x iiiinnnn spppaaaacccceeee
OR
hates that Eclipse uses dice and wishes there was a game like it but didn't do the dice and random reputation VP thing....

:pcgaming: OMEGA CENTAURI IS THAT GAME :pcgaming:

(it even predates Eclipse so you can say you liked it before it was cool)

That is all :cheers:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
You know, I almost talked myself into picking up Maria, to satisfy my itch for a strategy game with politics more complex than "us weak guys should gang up on the strong guy", but it doesn't appear to be available for a decent price anywhere. I wonder if it will be restocked?

Then I almost talked myself into Rex for the same reason but I think I convinced myself it's too complex to get 5-6 people together for, and I'd rather play GoT or Archipelago, even if the asymmetry sounds cool in theory. It's been an unsatisfying shopping day.

Edit: This is because my collection is all wuss games like Ticket to Ride and Seven Wonders, and I don't have any good four-hour Real as gently caress board games anymore.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mister Sinewave posted:

:siren: ATTENTION EVERYONE! :siren:

This is your weekly reminder that for anyone who likes poo poo like Eclipse and wants more 4x iiiinnnn spppaaaacccceeee
OR
hates that Eclipse uses dice and wishes there was a game like it but didn't do the dice and random reputation VP thing....

:pcgaming: OMEGA CENTAURI IS THAT GAME :pcgaming:

(it even predates Eclipse so you can say you liked it before it was cool)

That is all :cheers:

Tell me more