Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Faffel posted:

I wondered this too. Between Darkstalkers and some of the weirder 3S cars I'm curious to see where those designers went.

i wish I knew Japanese then I could probably dig into it. I imagine it's a lot like the roster of video game music composers from the NES era. Either teaching, freelancing, or basically retired since pixel art was effectively dead until just recently. Few actually have really stuck with their companies.

A real shame too. I imagine Capcom's art department is barebones since they offsite all the creative works to places like Dimps. Little incentive for awesome artists to grow in that environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

No I think the clipping IS a big issue. Presentation is always key in fighting games. I'm not even a huge fan of Guilty Gear, but this is something ArcSys knows, and it's why they paid just as much attention to presentation as the core fighting. When you're on the character select and goddamn near 3/4 of the cast is clipping on a close up, you've got a problem. When your default Player 2 has his bananas clipping through his shoulders on the character select screen, you've got a problem. And then you have dudes like Vega, who have their physics just bug the gently caress out on a win pose, 100% of the time.

I don't have a problem with the art style, actually I think it's great, and I think characters like Ryu, Chun, Nash, Sim, and Gief look awesome in this game, but anyone with even a slightly more ambitious design falls victim to clipping and physics issues.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i just dont get why the hair is sooooooooooooooooooo bad looking

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

cloofish posted:

No I think the clipping IS a big issue. Presentation is always key in fighting games. I'm not even a huge fan of Guilty Gear, but this is something ArcSys knows, and it's why they paid just as much attention to presentation as the core fighting. When you're on the character select and goddamn near 3/4 of the cast is clipping on a close up, you've got a problem. When your default Player 2 has his bananas clipping through his shoulders on the character select screen, you've got a problem. And then you have dudes like Vega, who have their physics just bug the gently caress out on a win pose, 100% of the time.

I don't have a problem with the art style, actually I think it's great, and I think characters like Ryu, Chun, Nash, Sim, and Gief look awesome in this game, but anyone with even a slightly more ambitious design falls victim to clipping and physics issues.

its really not though. if they fixed only the clipping in the next patch, would the game be more fun/playable? anything graphics related should be the least priority right now

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Booyah- posted:

its really not though. if they fixed only the clipping in the next patch, would the game be more fun/playable? anything graphics related should be the least priority right now

True though caring about graphics means you care about the character. Caring about the character means you care about their motivations and through their motivations you care about their gameplay.

Sure Street Fighter's story is atrocious but the characters all have such a fun strong character type. What's Laura's story or character type? What's her motivation? Beats me! Meanwhile spunky rear end Third Strike Makoto or anger management Alpha 2 Guy is on a different level.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think clipping is a big issue but 8 frames of input lag and Zero Singleplayer Content are bigger issues.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Does anyone know where Capcom's art team disappeared to after the Alpha series, Darkstalker series, or Third Strike? Capcom's current art team is a bit garbage in comparison. See - Alex's current design.

I don't really have a source for this, but I know a lot of people that worked in the Japanese gaming industry in the 90s, especially people that worked on 2d games/sprite work have almost all left the industry, or are working at niche places like Arc System Works.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

I don't really have a source for this, but I know a lot of people that worked in the Japanese gaming industry in the 90s, especially people that worked on 2d games/sprite work have almost all left the industry, or are working at niche places like Arc System Works.

That makes sense. I also heard one of the designers who was a junior artist on Capcom's Dungeon and Dragons helped start Vanillaware. The guys who did Dragon's Crown.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
https://twitter.com/SFVServer/status/735244401941700608

cams
Mar 28, 2003

you're welcome

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

True though caring about graphics means you care about the character. Caring about the character means you care about their motivations and through their motivations you care about their gameplay.

Sure Street Fighter's story is atrocious but the characters all have such a fun strong character type. What's Laura's story or character type? What's her motivation? Beats me! Meanwhile spunky rear end Third Strike Makoto or anger management Alpha 2 Guy is on a different level.

Uh, no, your first point doesn't follow at all. I want gameplay to be good above everything else, including story, character design, animation, and whatever else capcom is trying to sell us in return for a bad game

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Booyah- posted:

Uh, no, your first point doesn't follow at all. I want gameplay to be good above everything else, including story, character design, animation, and whatever else capcom is trying to sell us in return for a bad game

What game has bad characters with good gameplay?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
the thing about graphics and stuff is that mostly all that matters imo is consistency within the chosen design. games that are inconsistent tend to be jarring, and this extends to the UI and even menus.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Buckwheat Sings posted:

What game has bad characters with good gameplay?

guilty gear according to dracula factory

well actually he didn't say anything about gameplay just that he's afraid his gf is going to see him jacking it elphelt

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

that man is far to concerned with what his girlfriend might see him doing to actually have a girlfriend

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Booyah- posted:

gameplay is above all in fighting games to be sure, but CvS2 would be a noticeably lesser game if it didn't have it's amazing music/voice/sound design that gives everything such a pop

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think melty has the most boring looking character designs ever. It's all schoolgirls and maids.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol no it's not

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hate to interrupt non-SFV conversation with a SFV-related topic but I'm having an exclusive look at how bad Brazil's education system is by trying to explain the CPT standings to a kid that's outraged that Justin Wong is ahead of Infiltration, and posted about 10 videos trying to prove he's "worse" even though no one's arguing that.

This is why I can't condition anyone online, isn't it? The average FG player here is incapable of learning.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think melty has the most boring looking character designs ever. It's all schoolgirls and maids.

I don't disagree. There are some cool concepts there tho, mainly the male characters and the Ciels. It's what happens when your game is based on a Magical High School environment.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pictured here: A school girl

Pictured here: A Maid

A schoolgirl maid

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've only watched videos but the guy with a zoo in his trenchcoat looks cool

e:

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 25, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Baal posted:

Pictured here: A school girl

Pictured here: A Maid

A schoolgirl maid

I guess those guys must be from a new melty blood or something, because all I remember were a bunch of kids in high school uniforms and maids.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Or you just took a five-second glance at the game and didn't actually play it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'd like to give the guy more poo poo but most characters are schoolgirls and maids (especially because there's like 3 versions of each schoolgirl and maid). The designs that aren't schoolgirls and maids are cool tho.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
There are plenty of schoolgirl maids but there is also a cat person with a cigarette who has a down+forward crawl like Guile in his Crescent Moon moveset where he holds the cigarette out and burns people with it.

I mostly play a schoolgirl against my friend who mains a maid, however.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

e:

BIOHAZARDOOOOO!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

I'd like to give the guy more poo poo but most characters are schoolgirls and maids (especially because there's like 3 versions of each schoolgirl and maid). The designs that aren't schoolgirls and maids are cool tho.

There's a few variations on the maids, but the schoolgirls consist of like Satsuki, Akiha, and V-Akiha iirc.

Oh right, S-Akiha too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

e:

Let me tell you about Nrvnqsr Chaos (pronounced Nero Chaos).

In a game where every single character is designed to go nuts all over the screen every single button, special and super that Nero has is designed in such a way as to shut everything your opponent does down, forcing them to take a metaphorical chill pill.
This guy is designed to basically give blue balls to every player that want to go ham and do all the fancy combos or whatever and that makes me so HARD.

I love nothing more than to make my opponent slow the gently caress down and just take my long far-reaching normals, slowly and methodically.

Phew, is it just me or did it suddenly get hot in here?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

There's a few variations on the maids, but the schoolgirls consist of like Satsuki, Akiha, and V-Akiha iirc.

Oh right, S-Akiha too.

Ciel too, and then you have "kinda generic anime girls" Aoko, Miyako and Arcueid. It's a big enough chunk of characters that I can't blame people for thinking it's bland - if compared to EVERYONE ANIME AS gently caress GUILTY GEAR YO for instance.

But even the bland characters have some cool poo poo.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jack Trades posted:

Let me tell you about Nrvnqsr Chaos (pronounced Nero Chaos).

In a game where every single character is designed to go nuts all over the screen every single button, special and super that Nero has is designed in such a way as to shut everything your opponent does down, forcing them to take a metaphorical chill pill.
This guy is designed to basically give blue balls to every player that want to go ham and do all the fancy combos or whatever and that makes me so HARD.

I love nothing more than to make my opponent slow the gently caress down and just take my long far-reaching normals, slowly and methodically.

Phew, is it just me or did it suddenly get hot in here?

I was sold when he made rhinos come out of his trenchcoat but that's even cooler.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

id play the gently caress out of steam melty if it was free or (checks steam wallet) like 4.50

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

Ciel too, and then you have "kinda generic anime girls" Aoko, Miyako and Arcueid. It's a big enough chunk of characters that I can't blame people for thinking it's bland - if compared to EVERYONE ANIME AS gently caress GUILTY GEAR YO for instance.

But even the bland characters have some cool poo poo.

Ciel's as much of a schoolgirl as Arcueid, she's in executioner gear and poo poo. Also Aoko rocks, gently caress anyone who doesn't like her look.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Faffel posted:

I wondered this too. Between Darkstalkers and some of the weirder 3S cars I'm curious to see where those designers went.

ist been over 20 years. most of those fools are dead

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dias posted:

I wold argue that arcueid wearing such a conservative outfit actually makes her stand out quite a bit among anime games

either way If you want generic anime schoolgirls the game then you want arcana heart

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Ciel's as much of a schoolgirl as Arcueid, she's in executioner gear and poo poo. Also Aoko rocks, gently caress anyone who doesn't like her look.

I really like Aoko (and Arcueid) for the exact reason darealkooky mentioned: she wears such normal clothes that she actually stands out, hehe. Also I dunno why I said Ciel because I was thinking Sion (skirt, blouse and knee-high socks).

darealkooky posted:

either way If you want generic anime schoolgirls the game then you want arcana heart

and if you want to go a step beyond there's always vanguard princess

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Have they announced this month's character yet?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Yes that is why we are talking about it: Aoko The Teenage Witch Aozaki.

but nah, of course not

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Let me tell you about Nrvnqsr Chaos...

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I'm going to ask you to remove that screenshot, there is clearly a hitbox visible *outside* of a hurtbox. I have determined this is inappropriate for the Street Fighter Five thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

This better?