Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

It's a DiPinto Galaxie 4 in an apparently new and awesome orange finish that I've now got a serious case of GAS for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

You'd better move quick, I think the overseas Galaxies are now out of production and the new MIA ones are $$$.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Pokey Araya posted:

4 pickup switches, master volume, master tone? Hell yeah!
Also after watching that video I gotta to jam Man or Astroman for the next few hours.

This one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOld-kvQYm0

Great album!

Me and everyone in my circle of friends in high school worshipped Man Or Astroman. Particularly the Project Infinity LP. We drove up to LA 4 or 5 times to watch their gigs. They were opening for Southern Culture On The Skids at The Palace in 1997, and many people in the crowd had no idea who MOA were. It seemed like their goal was to make the headliner look like poo poo, because they played such an amazing energetic set, that everyone went crazy, having no idea who they were, and when the headliners came on, they seemed so sedate and boring.

Star Crunch (Brian Causey) was standing in the crowd by himself, watching them play, and we approached him and talked about the set. He was really cool and humble. He looks like such a dork, like an MIT student. But then he gets on stage and he's a loving rockstar, who's a god at playing guitar. Man Or Astroman? is the reason why I bought a vintage Mosrite. We learned tons of their songs on guitar. We knew some people that formed bands that were a total rip off of them.

I wondered why Brian left the band. There were so many new wave surf bands in the underground during the 90's, but MOA were definitely the ones who had the potential to be as big as The Ventures were in the 60's, but it just didn't seem to happen. The few songs where he sings are loving great. Then he dissappeared, made his own label, and wrote the theme song to Jimmy Neutron.

I really never payed attention to the band after Star Crunch left and was replaced by a clone version of him.

They would open with this song, but picture it 10x louder, and all kinds of crazy poo poo going on stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKPlWS5B3xk

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Schpyder posted:

It's a DiPinto Galaxie 4 in an apparently new and awesome orange finish that I've now got a serious case of GAS for.

Maybe it's the honeymoon period, but if the guitar had a vagina, i'd gently caress it. I've owned a dozen american made fenders and gibsons, but this guitar is the mutts nuts. Everything about it is awesome. The wide, flat fretboard, the smooth tremolo, the locking roller bridge, the pickups and switches, Chris DiPinto nailed it. The best sounding pickup combinations are the ones you can't get on other guitars, the very top and very bottom, and the two middle pickups. They sound great for clean, and heavy stuff, and aren't noisy. I've never had pickups this versatile. The body is big and comfortable, and you can just lean on it, and it supports you, like when you're doing a chunky girl missionary style. And for some reason, a lot of people who own this guitar, have several. That's a good sign.

But yeah, mines orange. gently caress. I want to give it a nitro finish, then put 50 years of wear on it, and hand it down as a family heirloom.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 25, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

Maybe it's the honeymoon period, but if the guitar had a vagina, i'd gently caress it.

I guarantee there's at least one of these somewhere in the stupid music poo poo thread

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Birdstuff, Coco and Star Crunch just toured, then released a new album. Good tour, although my wife had to get sick and leave halfway through. We're still married, and I'm still resentful.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

I swear this thing has a Mwaah knob, and it's turned way the gently caress up :gizz:

Fast neck, ultra low action (thanks fretless!), great tonal range, and oh so pretty.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CaseFace McGee posted:

I swear this thing has a Mwaah knob, and it's turned way the gently caress up :gizz:

Fast neck, ultra low action (thanks fretless!), great tonal range, and oh so pretty.

That bass is not pretty. That bass is loving :black101: incarnate.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

CaseFace McGee posted:

Stripey woods are the best woods.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

Wow, that did turn out great.

I'm the exactly perfect amount of extra string wound onto each peghead for more headstock mass. :)

Fuzz Boxer
Apr 28, 2007

sticking with whatever fails
1983 Peavey T-15 aka "The Mississippi Mustang". Twangy with some bite. 23.5" scale. Way fun. Even had the original case with the little amp built in.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I'm going to be picking up a cheap Tele clone and I need some expert SA advice on which finish to go with. I've narrowed it down to either the classic Butterscotch + black pickguard combo, or Seafoam + mint pickguard.

I've never been that crazy about Seafoam, but for some reason I really like the look of this:

But I keep going back and forth on it. What should I do goons.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Rosewood or maple?
Personally I'd go with something like a modern transparent white w ith black or purple with anodized gold.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

muike posted:

Rosewood or maple?
Personally I'd go with something like a modern transparent white w ith black or purple with anodized gold.

I like the look of maple with the butterscotch finish, and both look nice with seafoam. Sadly I'm just going with a cheap beater guitar and all of the color options are pretty boring - basically butterscotch, seafoam, tobacco burst, or cherry burst, so no purple + anodized gold combo :(.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Cherry's cool on Teles but I'd go with seafoam cus I think butterscotch would drive me crazy after a while.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
I like all things seafoam.

For neck choice, you may want to think about sound more than looks. Teles are bright. Want it to be really bright? Maple. Want to tame that brightness down a bit? Rosewood.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Seafoam Fenders make me happy

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Don't have a picture of it yet, but pulled the trigger on a EHX 720 looper. After being anti-loop pedal for ten years, I finally broke down and got one. The reverse and 1/2 speed functions are what sold me on it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If you buy a Peavey, but you didn't buy it out of the back of a VW van in a parking lot, do you truly own it?

After trying as hard as I could to find a combo amp that does everything the 6505+ 112 does without actually being the 6505+ 112 I gave in to my destiny.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

ChocNitty posted:

I'm tolerating the color, because I got it for an insane price, and it plays and sounds amazing.

Here's how it sounds when played by guitarists much better than me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky1P0zEZIqc

This is amazing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If you buy a Peavey, but you didn't buy it out of the back of a VW van in a parking lot, do you truly own it?

After trying as hard as I could to find a combo amp that does everything the 6505+ 112 does without actually being the 6505+ 112 I gave in to my destiny.

To this day, the 5150 I got from some dude in exchange for my old Vox is still the best thing that's ever passed by my studio when it came to balls-out Metalcore sounds.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Nice. I got my VTM 120 "off the back of a truck" in '89 and it's been my live head ever since. I love its "gain, or more gain" simplicity, and those dip-switches just warm my heart.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Decided to just go whole hog and bought a Crafted in Japan Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

Immediately dropped it off with my setup guy with a set of flatwounds. :dance: Get it back Tuesday. Sold the Classic Vibe and not looking back.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sockington posted:

Decided to just go whole hog and bought a Crafted in Japan Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

Immediately dropped it off with my setup guy with a set of flatwounds. :dance: Get it back Tuesday. Sold the Classic Vibe and not looking back.

What's the difference between this guy and a 'normal' Jazz Bass? Been thinking about upping my bass-playing skills and I always sort of played Jazz Basses (whenever available)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Wark Say posted:

What's the difference between this guy and a 'normal' Jazz Bass? Been thinking about upping my bass-playing skills and I always sort of played Jazz Basses (whenever available)

Slimmer, faster neck, different pickups, I believe it might use 70s spacing instead of 60s spacing, might use different pots for tone control. Nice grab, Sock.

E: also comes stock with a Badass bridge.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Was that photo taken at a bank?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Was that photo taken at a bank?

Long & Mcquade. Just feels like a bank because you just leave all your money there :rimshot::canada:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I'm going to be picking up a cheap Tele clone and I need some expert SA advice on which finish to go with. I've narrowed it down to either the classic Butterscotch + black pickguard combo, or Seafoam + mint pickguard.

I've never been that crazy about Seafoam, but for some reason I really like the look of this:
But I keep going back and forth on it. What should I do goons.

Wait. How cheap? Cause if it's even close to $300, then the answer is Squier Classic Vibe.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Warcabbit posted:

Wait. How cheap? Cause if it's even close to $300, then the answer is Squier Classic Vibe.

Can confirm

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I had to sell my tele, that might be a nice cheaper replacement. Gotta do anything to them to make them a good playing, good sounding instrument, or are they good out the factory door?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Agreed posted:

I had to sell my tele, that might be a nice cheaper replacement. Gotta do anything to them to make them a good playing, good sounding instrument, or are they good out the factory door?

The input jack on mine was a bit loose, but that was about it.

They did just recently increase the price a bit, but it's still a good deal.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I got tired of trying to figure out how I was going to turn this suitcase I found a few years back into a pedalboard and case, bought some loving boards and strapped all my poo poo to them. Now I've got boards and room to grow (read: buy more pedals and strap them to the boards as well.)

(I have fewer effects than I used to because I had to sell a bunch of them to make rent early last year in an employment gap. Now I can buy DIFFERENT ones!)

(also yes I know they come with velcro but for real I hate having pedals with velcro on them, the tape inevitably gets weird and gummy at the edges and all this hair sticks to it, it's the worst. With enough zip ties, you can secure anything!)

e: also also yeah I know I can make better use of the space by turning the mistress sideways, I just wanted to get everything in place tonight, I'll gently caress with it more later.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 31, 2016

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Agreed posted:

In picking them up in shops, I have found a few that have really bad erupted fret ends. Thats one of those things that is a pain to file down at home. I had a friend buy one reasoning he could just keep the guitar in a moist place and it would fix itself, but it didn't. That's about the only flaw I would leave a squier in a shop for though. Its also not an 'all squiers' issue so you're going to find a lot with the fret ends in great shape.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Got an Eastman VB605 over the weekend. It is my first all carved bass and I love it. Asking price was 7k but I was able to get it for cost at 5200.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

rio posted:

Got an Eastman VB605 over the weekend. It is my first all carved bass and I love it. Asking price was 7k but I was able to get it for cost at 5200.

Holy poo poo, a full carved bass at $5k is a crazy good deal. Are you going to install a pickup on it? My cheap awful frankenbass sounds way better than it should with a Fishman Full Circle direct into my amp.

Congrats on the purchase! I bought an expensive custom electric bass because a good upright like that is not within reach for a while.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That's a beautiful bass!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rio posted:

HOLY loving poo poo. Nice bass! :dance:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks! I am in love with it.

CaseFace McGee posted:

Holy poo poo, a full carved bass at $5k is a crazy good deal. Are you going to install a pickup on it? My cheap awful frankenbass sounds way better than it should with a Fishman Full Circle direct into my amp.

Congrats on the purchase! I bought an expensive custom electric bass because a good upright like that is not within reach for a while.

Yeah, I have some Spirocores that are coming tomorrow so when I change the strings I'll put in the pickup. I've been using a David Gage Realist since 2001 and while I am curious how other pickups sound, well if it ain't broke don't fix it. I had tried an Underwood, a Fishman (the one that has two elements that go on the top of the bridge) and another brand which I have forgotten but it clamped on the side of the bridge. The Realist goes underneath the bass side foot of the bridge and is the best and most natural sound I have heard, and with the bow there is no volume spike. I'm psyched to hear this bass through an amp.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

A good friend of mine has a carved bass with a Realist, it is quite nice. It is probably the only other pickup I would consider using on my upright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tbh I'd be terrified letting something that nice even come near a brick wall, let alone lean up against it.