Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is it possible to embark with one dwarf and turn off migrations? I kinda want to do a short challenge run with one dwarf survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Is it possible to embark with one dwarf and turn off migrations? I kinda want to do a short challenge run with one dwarf survival.

You can set max population to 1, and kill off the other six starting dwarves

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I remember doing that back in the 2D version of DF. It was surprisingly easy and fun. Just make sure the dorf you save isn't 149 years old...

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It seems like it would be pretty simple since you're only building and producing for one. If I set the population cap to 1, could I still get visitors in a tavern?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I suspect my manager has gone mad. I ordered some gold nest boxes after capturing some giant lizards, and now the manager keeps ordering more. I started with 5, but every few minutes I'm pulling up the job list and there's multiple orders for 30 gold nest boxes. They just keep coming back!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You should zip up a copy of that save and put it in the bug tracker. Sounds like a problem with the work order improvements.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Star Citizen just released its clothing store which is pretty neat and very high fidelity. Does dwarf fortress have anything like that?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Star Citizen has only been in development for 6 years and is already on version 2.4, how come this game is only on 0.43.03?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That just proves that Toady is a better developer with a greater vision than Chris Roberts.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 23, 2016

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Well, I'm sold. I'm done with Dwarf Fortress.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Did anything change to make the Melt Item article inaccurate as of late? I've explored over 30 levels of earth so far and haven't found a single shred of iron. In a desperate attempt to get some metal armor and weapons without paying an arm and a leg, I've been trying the theory posited on that article; that certain items return more metal than it took to make them. I had settled on buying a single steel anvil from a caravan and melting it down to make a giant axe blade. The article says that it takes 1 bar to make, and you get 1.5 bars when you melt it down. However, after repeatedly making and melting that axe head for over a season, I've still got the same 1 bar of steel, making the same 1 giant axe blade. Did Toady correct his math? Or am I doing something wrong?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

neogeo0823 posted:

Did anything change to make the Melt Item article inaccurate as of late? I've explored over 30 levels of earth so far and haven't found a single shred of iron. In a desperate attempt to get some metal armor and weapons without paying an arm and a leg, I've been trying the theory posited on that article; that certain items return more metal than it took to make them. I had settled on buying a single steel anvil from a caravan and melting it down to make a giant axe blade. The article says that it takes 1 bar to make, and you get 1.5 bars when you melt it down. However, after repeatedly making and melting that axe head for over a season, I've still got the same 1 bar of steel, making the same 1 giant axe blade. Did Toady correct his math? Or am I doing something wrong?
I thought that was fixed ages ago

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gibbo posted:

I thought that was fixed ages ago

Beats me. The discussion on the article is as new as a couple months ago, and there's nothing indicating anything's out of date.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Decrepus posted:

Star Citizen has only been in development for 6 years and is already on version 2.4, how come this game is only on 0.43.03?

DF is free

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

DF is free

Free of quality. :smug:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Shoehead posted:

DF is free

Pretty sure I'm free to buy as many spaceships as I want :agesilaus:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

PublicOpinion posted:

You should zip up a copy of that save and put it in the bug tracker. Sounds like a problem with the work order improvements.

It's the previous version. I haven't moved over yet because I don't pay enough attention to DF to play it without Therapist.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
A stupid non-entity Glassmaker got a fey mood last night and decided that what he really needed was raw green glass and some gems to do some bullshit magic with. loving great. I have a map without sand and he wants raw green glass. It got to the point where I'd walled him up in his workshop in advance of him going insane, but then a caravan came and fortunately enough they had both sand and glass. So I break down the wall and the muppet sets to work

And then the idiot makes a spiked green glass toy hammer. It's got a stupid name too, but I hated him too much to remember it.

As soon as I find some magma I'm dropping him in it.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

fallingdownjoe posted:

As soon as I find some magma I'm dropping him in it.

Cool Idea for the Kids to Try: Dump the hammer in first and make him watch

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Free of quality. :smug:

Beyond quality.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, what the gently caress just happened? The dwarven caravan finally came in for the year. I had ordered a poo poo ton of iron ores and coal to get a metal industry going, so I was really happy to see these guys. They came into the depot and began unloading their goods, while I designated a bunch of poo poo to be traded with them. Unfortunately, my broker decided that was a good time to take a nap, so I went about doing other things while I waited for him to wake up. After a bit, I go back to the depot to see that there's no traders there. They're walking off the edge of the map, leaving my broker holding his dick in his hand like an idiot. I got no notification that they were leaving, nothing in any logs indicated they were going away. The only thing that's odd is that their 3 wagons are listed as missing, but there's no combat report or warning as to what happened. I'm so drat confused and I'm about to try to figure out a way to edit some goddamned iron into this map.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

neogeo0823 posted:

So, what the gently caress just happened? The dwarven caravan finally came in for the year. I had ordered a poo poo ton of iron ores and coal to get a metal industry going, so I was really happy to see these guys. They came into the depot and began unloading their goods, while I designated a bunch of poo poo to be traded with them. Unfortunately, my broker decided that was a good time to take a nap, so I went about doing other things while I waited for him to wake up. After a bit, I go back to the depot to see that there's no traders there. They're walking off the edge of the map, leaving my broker holding his dick in his hand like an idiot. I got no notification that they were leaving, nothing in any logs indicated they were going away. The only thing that's odd is that their 3 wagons are listed as missing, but there's no combat report or warning as to what happened. I'm so drat confused and I'm about to try to figure out a way to edit some goddamned iron into this map.

Do you have a river and a bridge they have to cross? I've had them fall off before, and they leave in a huff when that happens.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Give it a little time. The goblins will bring plenty of iron.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

neogeo0823 posted:

Usually this happens because one merchant couldn't path to your site (somehow) and never made it to the depot. If you're on a really savage map sometimes the last merchant in the train will get scared off, or dodge up a tree or whatever. Until the last merchant reaches the depot, the traders won't unload their goods, and if they spend too much time unpacking they'll just pack up and leave. It'll happen faster if somebody gets scared off the map or attacked. See also, dumping/melting/forbidding poo poo at the depot, deconstructing the depot, etc. Traders can get weird and finnicky and bug out in all kinds of ways. I personally recommend aggressively clear-cutting the surface and just dealing with the elves once they start bitching about it. (as a bonus, you get enough charcoal to never need magma forges and clearing out the trees is an easy 10-20fps gain) Build bridges over rivers. Build roads if you've got lots and lots of trees on the map.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, so I did a bit of looking around and I think I might know what happened.

Here's the gatehouse into my fortress.

It's roofed over, by the way. The caravan comes from around the northeastern corner, counter-clockwise around the moat, and then over the bridge and into the depot. You'll notice the spike traps I'm building at the bottom of the moat. You might also notice the various colors around the bridge, depot, that southern door from the stairwell, and on the one spike trap.

All of those colors are various combinations of this:

Now, you might be wondering who Tosid Plaitcopper is. I know I am. He isn't listed anywhere in the units screen. Not on the citizens' list, not on the deceased/missing list, not in the stocks as a corpse or remains. Nearest I can tell, he was a member of the caravan, and he somehow got into a fight with one of his emus. See, the caravan had a couple, but they never randomly spawn where I am. Anyway, he got to drinking, got in a fight, and fell off the bridge. Not to his death, mind you, but bad enough that the caravan must've freaked out and legged it.

Now where the gently caress am I going to get iron from???

EDIT: Found the only emu fight scene we had this past season. It doesn't mention Tosid by name, just lists the dwarf as "The Ranger". The fight starts off between the emu and a dog, and midway through is when the ranger joins in. The only really notable bit of it is the very beginning, where the emu pulls a Daffy Duck.

DOUBLE EDIT: Welp, I broke down and ran PROSPECT ALL in DFHack. I've only got tetrahedrite, cassiterite, sphalerite, native gold, galena, malachite, adamantine, and bismuthinite at this site. No iron ores of any kind whatsoever. loving lovely. I guess I could figure out a way to make some huge goblin siege crusher and just make a poo poo-ton of copper stuff till they come along and supply me with iron? I don't even know.

EDIT THE THIRD, SON OF EDIT: vvv Thanks a ton, that'll help me out more than you'll know.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 25, 2016

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm about to try to figure out a way to edit some goddamned iron into this map.

click on a vein, type "changevein LIMONITE" in dfhack

capitalization matters
works great on the round blob deposits

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Sooooo.... Merchants arrived, and then my Trade depot just spontaneously combusted.

Those were some red hot deals!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 25, 2016

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grey Hunter posted:

Sooooo.... Merchants arrived, and then my Trade depot just spontaneously combusted.

Someone brought a bag of lava? Isn't that the bug that causes this?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Fuubi posted:

Someone brought a bag of lava? Isn't that the bug that causes this?

That would be it I guess. I'd assumed that it had been fixed.
Silly me.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The lava in bags is a confirmed bug. It hasn't been fixed yet. Dyes stored in barrels without bags was the fixed bug.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ahhh what's going on?!

Oh.. it's just trees.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Met posted:

Ahhh what's going on?!

Oh.. it's just trees.

"You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even see the ASCII. All I see is birch, beech, redwood."

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FutonForensic posted:

"You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even see the ASCII. All I see is birch, beech, redwood."

"Cat.....cat.......cat....cat..cat.cat cat CAT CAT CAT CAT OH NO."

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Toady One posted:

So the plan was to upgrade my compiler and then do another bug fix release before doing 64 bit stuff, so different new problems could be kept separate. That's still the plan... it just stretched out a bit since the compiler installation crashed and destroyed my system. Things are partially back together now, with the new compiler in place. I've been playing around with its static code analysis tool, which located some interesting typos which have probably screwed up the medical bedrest and ghost behavior among other things.

How much do you want to bet fixing those typos will screw everything up horribly

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
toady one fixes typos in his code, the first true AI is born.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I wonder what will happen the day Toady discovers lint.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

moller posted:

The venue seems to be some bizarrely posh version of a board game bar.

Edit: Not that I've never eaten a $16 cheeseburger, I've just never eaten one in an establishment that also sells warhammer figurines.

Hahaha. Maybe you can only eat Official Warhammer brand beef and cheese from The Empire.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Wolfsbane posted:

He will stare into the abyss for several months, and then delete the linter to save his life.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Wolfsbane posted:

He will wake up one day to find every trace of lint removed from his system, and the Dwarf Fortress source is somehow larger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Leal posted:

Conventions are already bad enough, I'd be afraid to see what a convention of just DF players would have.

I helped with the DF podcast and I went to a DF meetup a few years back.

I got to check out an actual cave with Toady.