Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Urist's Crossbow Training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

And considering how a transformation regenerates all injuries...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Buschmaki posted:

Carve some fortifications and use him for siege and crossbow training.

The rock pile is right next to the siege workshop. :negative:

But yeah, that's a good idea.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Just make another one, it's not like seige workshops are expensive to build.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mzbundifund posted:

Just make another one, it's not like seige workshops are expensive to build.

:thejoke:

Anyway, things are chugging along now. I have yet to get my first migrant wave, but I did get a couple of so-far-harmless ghosts. I'm working on memorializing them now. It's a bit difficult getting things done with just the starting 7 when there's so much that needs doing right now.

EDIT: What counts as a non-economic hard stone for the purposes of making a slab for a memorial? I've got siltstone, gabbro, microcline, and a bit of kaolinite at hand, but the game keeps telling me there's no stone available.nevermind, the stockpile giving to that shop had no appropraite stones in it and I set said stockpile to give to that shop and forgot about that restriction. It should be fixed now.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 19, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Verviticus posted:

as someone who hasnt played in a year and a bit: military training finally works!?

Military training has almost always worked, it's just that the way to get best results has changed from time to time and is non-obvious. Dwarves train skills more quickly if you segregate them into small groups, or even just pairs -- it makes them more likely to spar than to stand around giving demonstrations.

(In theory if you have a Legendary Teacher or something this might reverse itself, but you'd probably have to run your fort for decades for that to happen naturally.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 19, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

We haven't isolated the personality factors that might play into it yet, either. The common thread used to be that more reckless and aggressive commanders held more sparring sessions, but there was nothing to substantiate it.

Man, I just thought of the best experiment too. Male and female dwarves are given consistently extreme personality traits that mirror each other. Then just whip up a gender-segregated posse in a fort boosted with startdwarf and see which team brawls more among themselves.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

We haven't isolated the personality factors that might play into it yet, either. The common thread used to be that more reckless and aggressive commanders held more sparring sessions, but there was nothing to substantiate it.

Man, I just thought of the best experiment too. Male and female dwarves are given consistently extreme personality traits that mirror each other. Then just whip up a gender-segregated posse in a fort boosted with startdwarf and see which team brawls more among themselves.

That's a very elaborate excuse for you to watch dwarven catfights.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is there a way, DFHack or otherwise, to make dwarves pick up all the poo poo strewn around a reclaimed ruined fort? I unforbid and reclaimed everything on the entire map when I first came back here, but nothing seems to have been touched yet, despite having a gigantic open stockpile for everything.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

neogeo0823 posted:

Is there a way, DFHack or otherwise, to make dwarves pick up all the poo poo strewn around a reclaimed ruined fort? I unforbid and reclaimed everything on the entire map when I first came back here, but nothing seems to have been touched yet, despite having a gigantic open stockpile for everything.

You can mark everything for dumping and then use DFHack's autodump to teleport everything to where ever the cursor is then reclaim it all.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Telsa Cola posted:

This, there are literally no noticeably penalties for keeping people active all the time and they will sort out training for themselves too. Scheduling literally has no good uses.

Also if you are ever really concerned about the mood penalties that really do admittedly stack up like crazy over time, give your military a season long break every two or three years and they'll have big mood boosts from all their unmet needs being met during their downtime. You can do this from the squads screen if you're really feeling lazy. I usually wait until after a siege or a megabeast and then just give everybody some time off while the blood dries. It's best to do this if you have a whole bunch of labor you can have them do, like smithing or masonry jobs or something, all dwarves love to craft poo poo and military dwarves rarely get to do it (sometimes you'll catch them doing a labor on the sly) so if your dwarves are feeling glum you can just have them make some axes for a couple of weeks and they'll be solid for at least a year.

My real issue wrt military dwarves and to be honest forts in general is dealing with loving cave adaptation. I like building my forts in deep stone with the Depot off of a series of ramps and my dwarves rarely go outside. I know I can manage it by channeling down into my dining room and then building grates over it but that's such a huge pain in the rear end and usually ends up with a brush titan in the dining room making GBS threads fire all over your dwarves' *Plump Helmet Roasts*. I am hoping that we will be able to make purely subterranean forts in the future, I want to build a trade depot in the cave and trade with plump helmet men god dammit

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 20, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TheCIASentMe posted:

You can mark everything for dumping and then use DFHack's autodump to teleport everything to where ever the cursor is then reclaim it all.

I did that and was able to move and reclaim around 600 items. About a dozen items were listed as being unable to be moved. Among them were a couple of animal carcasses and a mangled dwarf skeleton in my base that have been spouting miasma. Going back to those items lists them as forbidden, but even after unforbidding them, DFHack won't autodump them. I'm assuming they're bugged?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Mirthless posted:

My real issue wrt military dwarves and to be honest forts in general is dealing with loving cave adaptation. I like building my forts in deep stone with the Depot off of a series of ramps and my dwarves rarely go outside. I know I can manage it by channeling down into my dining room and then building grates over it but that's such a huge pain in the rear end and usually ends up with a brush titan in the dining room making GBS threads fire all over your dwarves' *Plump Helmet Roasts*. I am hoping that we will be able to make purely subterranean forts in the future, I want to build a trade depot in the cave and trade with plump helmet men god dammit
You can make purely subterranean forts and never deal with cave adaptation being a problem. Just channel a ramp down to the first cavern layer and treat that as your "surface". Caravans can come down the ramp and trade with you there. Even if you want to be shallower, there is nothing saying you cannot create a great big open area killbox for your army to kill enemy armies.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Ramp down to the depot, or building walls and a roof above an above-ground depot. With that, the only dwarf you'd need to watch is your woodcutter, but if you really want to go entirely underground then you could even just trade for that, too.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

neogeo0823 posted:

I did that and was able to move and reclaim around 600 items. About a dozen items were listed as being unable to be moved. Among them were a couple of animal carcasses and a mangled dwarf skeleton in my base that have been spouting miasma. Going back to those items lists them as forbidden, but even after unforbidding them, DFHack won't autodump them. I'm assuming they're bugged?

Dunno. You can use DFHack to drop some magma on them and burn them away if you want.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Isn't there some way to make caravans come from the cavern layer?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Buschmaki posted:

Isn't there some way to make caravans come from the cavern layer?

Build a depot down there and make sure it has access to a large enough chunk of unblocked edge.

Not sure if it still works since the .42 "living world" stuff where caravans and armies and so on come from actual places, though.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Build a depot down there and make sure it has access to a large enough chunk of unblocked edge.

Not sure if it still works since the .42 "living world" stuff where caravans and armies and so on come from actual places, though.

Wouldnt that eventually be part of the underground roads and stuff he has talked about before?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is it possible to have a single track automated minecart route that goes both ways using the same rollers in both directions, like so:

S==================R===============R====================S

or are rollers unidirectional. I've never tried automated routes before and the wiki about it is hard to read.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

neogeo0823 posted:

Could someone please explain the various preset loadouts that you can choose before embarking? I've never used anything but the first one or preparing everything myself.

Embark with as many cattes as possible with nothing but dwarfs skilled in butchery and tanning.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How are you guys making statues of deities for temples. I know you can specify exactly what the image of the statue will be, but I can't figure out how to specify a deity.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

neogeo0823 posted:

How are you guys making statues of deities for temples. I know you can specify exactly what the image of the statue will be, but I can't figure out how to specify a deity.

IIRC they're counted as historical figures.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

psst, children

it compiled somehow (win32 version)

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Trying to clear a necro tower in adventure mode has become fun after Toady implemented those zombie changes. I was easily slaying individual zombies, got cocky, found myself surrounded, and then got murdered beneath the crushing tide of animate corpses. Also the recent "nameless npcs get an appearance descriptor" change improves the experience by a surprising amount.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

PublicOpinion posted:

Also the recent "nameless npcs get an appearance descriptor" change improves the experience by a surprising amount.

Sure makes it a lot more fun to single out one guy in a crowd and say "I'm gonna beat on this nerd first."

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Hey what's the best way to remove this titan from my old fort?

A catastrophe for the culinary arts, my decadent fortress of 200 dwarves was wiped out in seconds when some brush titan flew in through the open third floor of the castle I was building around the original mountain entrance. All 20,000+ legendary meals were lost, although on the plus side my bookkeeper and cooks will now know the sweet bliss of death. It just farts webs everywhere and snips people's heads in one attack, like a surgeon. It's a flying snail with a shell if that's relevant. Helmets don't really help.

I'm asking because I'm actually trying now and I just can't seem to kill it with my little banzai squads.

e; Aw it's gone, revenge shall never be taken.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 22, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Are there any alternatives to Dwarf Therapist that are actually maintained?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
There's a new release, with one very important thing:

The Toad posted:

Here are some more bug fixes.

Major bug fixes

Made customized magma forge jobs use metal instead of making things out of coal
Adjusted conflict code to stop taverngoers from joining siegers over petty grievances
Fixed material overcount in adv site work menu

Other bug fixes/tweaks

:siren: Made pain from broken tissues depend on relative part size:siren:
Made embark profiles load fish properly
Made assigning an animal to a restraint remove it from pasture assignments properly
Made pasturing jobs respect connectivity in creation and in seeing if they should continue
Made dwarves remove animals assigned to pastures from cages/chains that are in the pasture
Fixed display error causing creature to be described as gigantic too often
Allowed metal mechanisms to be made from the job manager
Made dragonfire affect metal items and generally amplified fire effects a bit
Stopped veins in large mineral clusters from being improperly restricted
Stopped placement issue with minerals that had more than one specific environment
Stopped woodcutters from using axes without edges (like training axes)
Allowed soil critters to live in wider temperature ranges
Fixed problem with temperature checks on certain wilderness populations
Made construct mechanisms job show material
Made mountain travel restriction not affect other actions
Allowed adventure mode divers to move through deep water properly
Made placing items on tables remove item from your inventory properly
Made improvement reactions increase and apply skill properly
Reported site of adventurer masterpieces correctly
Stopped manually-set low frame rate cap from being stuck

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

HEY LADS

Toady One posted:

Here are some more bug fixes.

Major bug fixes
  • Made customized magma forge jobs use metal instead of making things out of coal
  • Adjusted conflict code to stop taverngoers from joining siegers over petty grievances
  • Fixed material overcount in adv site work menu

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Made pain from broken tissues depend on relative part size
  • Made embark profiles load fish properly
  • Made assigning an animal to a restraint remove it from pasture assignments properly
  • Made pasturing jobs respect connectivity in creation and in seeing if they should continue
  • Made dwarves remove animals assigned to pastures from cages/chains that are in the pasture
  • Fixed display error causing creature to be described as gigantic too often
  • Allowed metal mechanisms to be made from the job manager
  • Made dragonfire affect metal items and generally amplified fire effects a bit
  • Stopped veins in large mineral clusters from being improperly restricted
  • Stopped placement issue with minerals that had more than one specific environment
  • Stopped woodcutters from using axes without edges (like training axes)
  • Allowed soil critters to live in wider temperature ranges
  • Fixed problem with temperature checks on certain wilderness populations
  • Made construct mechanisms job show material
  • Made mountain travel restriction not affect other actions
  • Allowed adventure mode divers to move through deep water properly
  • Made placing items on tables remove item from your inventory properly
  • Made improvement reactions increase and apply skill properly
  • Reported site of adventurer masterpieces correctly
  • Stopped manually-set low frame rate cap from being stuck

scamtank fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 23, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was really excited when I got that email from Patreon but is not procedural creation myths :(

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Demiurge4 posted:

I was really excited when I got that email from Patreon but is not procedural creation myths :(

That will be the next major release after the 64-bit experiment.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Met posted:

Are there any alternatives to Dwarf Therapist that are actually maintained?

Dwarf Therapist is maintained. They already have a memory layout for 43.02, even.

Manipulator in DFHack is the only alternative I'm aware of.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

necrotic posted:

Dwarf Therapist is maintained. They already have a memory layout for 43.02, even.

Manipulator in DFHack is the only alternative I'm aware of.

It crashes at the drop of a hat and hasn't had a proper release since 40.24. That's not maintained.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Is anyone going to attend the 10th anniversaryish event?

I'll be there

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Capntastic posted:

I'll be there

Conventions are already bad enough, I'd be afraid to see what a convention of just DF players would have.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The venue seems to be some bizarrely posh version of a board game bar.

Edit: Not that I've never eaten a $16 cheeseburger, I've just never eaten one in an establishment that also sells warhammer figurines.

moller fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 23, 2016

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Capntastic posted:

I'll be there

Going on safari are you

e; It's dead! The titan has killed about 300 dwarves plus all their pets and livestock, I thought it had left but it was in fact lurking. In the end I sent seven recruits and 25 war boars, now the one guy that's survived gets to spend the next year hauling the sea of corpses to the tomb in the top of the mountain.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 23, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I can't run DFHack, anyone have an idea why? I'm using the latest LNP. I can't toggle it in the LNP launcher, and I can't run it in the Dwarf Fortress menu. It launches and closes immediately before displaying any information. Running Windows 10.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Met posted:

It crashes at the drop of a hat and hasn't had a proper release since 40.24. That's not maintained.

Ah. I've only used it a minor amount since the 43.02 memory layout came out, with no issues so far.

I saw recent commits from splinterz which is why I thought it was still maintained. People seemed to be using it for the 42.x releases without much issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Node posted:

I can't run DFHack, anyone have an idea why? I'm using the latest LNP. I can't toggle it in the LNP launcher, and I can't run it in the Dwarf Fortress menu. It launches and closes immediately before displaying any information. Running Windows 10.

The 42.06 LNP? There may be an error file of some kind generated in the DwarfFortress folder, not sure what its called but maybe something like stderr.txt?