Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There may be a bit less news coming out of the case than we'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

red19fire posted:

Indeed. A pistol, no less.

Did he at least hold it side ways to let the enemy know how cool he looked?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

"There's a certain irony to this case," McLetchie said Monday, noting that many charges hinge on whether the defendants threatened and assaulted government agents. She said the public has to be able to assess the evidence.

"It's especially important, in a case where the government is prosecuting people who are its critics, that the public be able to assess what really crosses the line from criticism to illegal threats," McLetchie said.

hmmmmm that does not sound very ironic actually

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.scribd.com/doc/313727923/Bundy-Report-Jail-Conditions

:qqsay:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

All of them? Did the army move into his house?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
"My right to life is being violated."? Are they giving him mandatory abortions?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Oh poo poo guys he's invoking his second amendment rights, better give this prisoner a gun.

Anyone else feel like they need a gun in this prison? Wouldn't want to violate the 2nd amendment.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Grem posted:

Oh poo poo guys he's invoking his second amendment rights, better give this prisoner a gun.

Anyone else feel like they need a gun in this prison? Wouldn't want to violate the 2nd amendment.

Jokes on them, says right in the document that he never waived that right. I hope they apologize when they bring his guns to his cell for him.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

An AR-15 isn't a religious garment :v:

I wonder if he's ever voiced an opinion on gang members being imprisoned separately, or gang leaders being held in solitary to prevent collusion :allears:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He's certainly talking about his sacred mormon underwear.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I bet the intake guy who forgot to have him sign the 2nd Amendment waiver is getting fired.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Grem posted:

One prison full of sovcits and one gun. The best version of Lord of the Flies.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

quote:

Defendants need access to Facebook
LOL, gently caress off. They wanted a desk, computer, printer, scanner, full and unlimited and unmonitored internet access, Microsoft Office, external hard drives, and Ipads. They couldn't work under the same conditions as everyone else because they're so loving special. Pete Santilli actually gave a convincing reason why he needed an Ipad in his cell so they made an accommodation. They were also allowed to wear their magic underwear, as requested.

In other news, Harney County primaried the politicians who gave support to the Bundy's.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/candidates-who-backed-the-oregon-militia-overwhelmingly-voted-down-20160520

quote:

Tom Schaefer, a candidate running for county judge who invoked the militia's pet issue in his stump speeches — saying things like, "I think we need to push back with every opportunity and every bit of leverage that we have against these federal agencies that are strangling us" — took third place in his race for county judge.

The winner of that race, former County Commissioner Pete Runnels, opposed the occupation. (The Pacific Patriot Network, an organization that supported the militia, called for Runnels' resignation back in January.)

Republican gubernatorial candidate Bruce Cuff, who campaigned on the issue of transferring federal lands to state control and who aligned himself with militia members by speaking at rallies protesting the shooting death of Finicum, came in third in Harney County behind Allen Alley and Bud Pierce, who won the statewide vote.

Knight has issued a correction as of 05:07 on May 25, 2016

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Knight posted:

In other news, Harney County primaried the politicians who gave support to the Bundy's.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/candidates-who-backed-the-oregon-militia-overwhelmingly-voted-down-20160520

People like the Bundys love to claim that they're supported by the silent majority.

Turns out they're wrong.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Grem posted:

Now you get a CAR for reacting to an IED, just ducking and covering.

I mean that seems valid, like you're in a combat situation and you did an action in response to the combat :shrug:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

People like the Bundys love to claim that they're supported by the silent majority.

Turns out they're wrong.

Registering to vote creates joinder

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dumbass, you didn't waive those rights, you forfeited them when you decided to pull this loving stunt.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Internet Webguy posted:

"My right to life is being violated."? Are they giving him mandatory abortions?

Where did he say that? It looked to me like he said his life to right is arguably not being violated but the darn FBI sure did try.

Meanwhile Kenneth Medenbach seems to be doing fine in jail, enjoying the private room and is nice and reasonable about everything, good for you Kenneth.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I mean that seems valid, like you're in a combat situation and you did an action in response to the combat :shrug:

I know, that's just my bitterness about not getting mine until after a firefight even though we had about 5 IEDs hit our convoys in the months prior.

Then some dude I know talks about going "toe to toe" with Al-Qaeda in Tikrit to get his! Really he just shot at an apartment building that maybe someone took a shot for?

Medals are gay.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Here's some pictures I took at the first pro-LaVoy rally in Portland.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Wait, being arrested and jailed now inhibits your right to assembly and 2nd amendment? God drat America! :argh:

Also, being monitored and recorded isn't preventing him from exercising his freedom of speech, though I guess you could make a ~chilling effect~ argument. But again, charged and in jail for conspiracy against the government...so they might have an ongoing interest in his communications.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OAquinas posted:

Wait, being arrested and jailed now inhibits your right to assembly and 2nd amendment? God drat America! :argh:

Also, being monitored and recorded isn't preventing him from exercising his freedom of speech, though I guess you could make a ~chilling effect~ argument. But again, charged and in jail for conspiracy against the government...so they might have an ongoing interest in his communications.

Um, innocent until proven guilty moran. Until a jury of his peers convicts him in a non-admiralty court his god-given right to carry a gun shall not be infringified upon :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Grem posted:

Medals are gay.

Can confirm:

I literally got a medal for working hard as a TV newsman/Radio DJ like in Good Morning Vietnam. In the peacetime military, in Iceland.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm sure at some point he's said that it's bullshit that Muslims were complaining that they weren't being allowed religious objects or to pray, so it's kind of funny to see him freaking out that being on the inside for committing a hundred felonies isn't like being on the outside suckling at the teat of wingnut welfare

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ansel autisms posted:

Here's some pictures I took at the first pro-LaVoy rally in Portland.

Love the dude straight out of the 60s

Otisburg posted:

Can confirm:

I literally got a medal for working hard as a TV newsman/Radio DJ like in Good Morning Vietnam. In the peacetime military, in Iceland.

I can only imagine how big the volcano medal was

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Knight posted:

LOL, gently caress off. They wanted a desk, computer, printer, scanner, full and unlimited and unmonitored internet access, Microsoft Office, external hard drives, and Ipads. They couldn't work under the same conditions as everyone else because they're so loving special. Pete Santilli actually gave a convincing reason why he needed an Ipad in his cell so they made an accommodation. They were also allowed to wear their magic underwear, as requested.

At least those morons faced some consequences. Hardly the hearings they should see, but they aren't directly screwing things up anymore.

The man really doesn't get how this "jail" thing works, does he?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Otisburg posted:

Can confirm:

You always have the best war stories.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Skellybones posted:

You always have the best war stories.

Make no mistake, service wasn't easy for me, even though I didn't see anything remotely resembling combat or deployment. There were precious few places to get good biscotti, and the only Internet available on base at the time was dial-up. The local women were attractive and affectionate, but they did not age well. THEY DID NOT AGE WELL. *haunted thousand yard stare*

I wonder how much military experience these militia types have. Based on what I've read I expect it's probably a bunch of cosplayers "trained" and lead by a handful of guys who mustered out at E-4; and not a one of them claiming a rank below Colonel.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

arent you like Danish or something? Did you have joint exercises with Iceland?

joindercises

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

arent you like Danish or something? Did you have joint exercises with Iceland?

joindercises

Yank actually. It was a NATO base with all sorts of folks, but the US Navy leadership gave us direction never to call it that on the newscast because it was very important that everyone knew who was footing the bill.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

why dont they age well. I thought the cold climate is what gave them such wonderfully preserved porcelain skin in the first place

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

why dont they age well. I thought the cold climate is what gave them such wonderfully preserved porcelain skin in the first place

idk I ain't a trim scientist. these were casual, anecdotal observations.

Fun fact: Iceland, at least when I was there, had a council on names that could veto parents who wished to give their kids "un-Icelandic" baby names. I wonder what the SovCits would make of something like that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"Are you Bjornvaäld?"

"No I am the corporation representing the SS Bjornvaäld"

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Rick_Hunter posted:

Funny that military 'participation' medals make desk jockeys puff out their chest and insist that they earned them but talk about giving kids participation trophies and get ready for a meltdown about coddling kids and safe spaces.

So any new news on how shitfucked those Bundy boys are?

The same goes woth government benefits. Plenty of scummy vets sitting in cush jobs, minimum work, dodge deployments, clamor for that retirement check and bitch about people sucking off welfare. That or they go out on a single "deployment" and come back with a slew of injuries and PTSD.

The same with these sovereign cits. There was one screenshot earlier in this thread of a dude bitching about the evil interference of the federal government while collecting federal money. The level of ignorance is unparallel when it comes to these "freedom fighters."

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Gordito posted:

The same goes woth government benefits. Plenty of scummy vets sitting in cush jobs, minimum work, dodge deployments, clamor for that retirement check and bitch about people sucking off welfare. That or they go out on a single "deployment" and come back with a slew of injuries and PTSD.

The same with these sovereign cits. There was one screenshot earlier in this thread of a dude bitching about the evil interference of the federal government while collecting federal money. The level of ignorance is unparallel when it comes to these "freedom fighters."

Most of it is complete self-loathing directed outwards, too. Insecurity just leaks off of these types, even when they're trying their word salads against authority.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Geostomp posted:

The man really doesn't get how this "jail" thing works, does he?

They are, I think, still desperately trying to win the argument that they can and should be released on bail. Same with the "jail food is unpalatable I have lost weight!" *farts as sits down* thing. I am super happy about this, because constantly complaining about fairly trivial stuff is opposed to the image of manly self-sufficiency that they tried to craft of themselves during the occupation (not that they really succeeded there either). Obviously the people who are all the way down the rabbit hole don't care and still think that they're heroes, but they are, currently, forming an excellent cautionary tale about the dangers of being an utter dick.

With that being said, I'm sure that the precious little snowflake idea that is central to sovcittery is in play as well - even if there were no strategic goal, they would still whine like small children in the cake aisle.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

A major in my unit noticed that some of the fire extinguishers missed their inspection date. He got paraded around in front of formation and given a safety award.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

A major in my unit noticed that some of the fire extinguishers missed their inspection date. He got paraded around in front of formation and given a safety award.

I mean I'd rather have the military awarding silly but important culture of safety poo poo than "congrats on your 50th extralegal killer drone strike!" stuff :shrug:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I mean I'd rather have the military awarding silly but important culture of safety poo poo than "congrats on your 50th extralegal killer drone strike!" stuff :shrug:

How do you feel about them doing both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

How do you feel about them doing both?

I would very much like to see someone win a medal for refilling a fire extinguisher using a killer drone, if that's what you mean.