Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does Demon Fist damage ever get resectable? I really like the moveset, and the idea of swapping to its 2H for the weapon art, but the damage seems piddling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah if you can't OHKO them with a parry (this shouldn't be a "thing" either) then it's not gonna work.

using scythe is tough.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

GulagDolls posted:

its not terribly difficult to get inside a polearm's range if you have a good shield or just roll a lot

Estoc users are not, generally, very smart.

That said, I offhand the Morion sword for occasions where people think they're clever for rolling past the poke. Joke's on them, I'm already swinging as they come out of their I-frames.

Edit: The only thing that remotely threatens me with this setup are people using weapons with hyperarmor and who are smart about it.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 25, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
NEW DARKMOON META

Block the invader with your fat worthless corpse so they can't roll away :geno:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Tengames posted:

Ah, gorgeous view...

Maybe i should go to the side and get a better view of it...

....Huh. They kinda rushed this one out didn't they?

And Blighttown has some bad cutoff as well. There are always some of those.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tengames posted:

Ah, gorgeous view...

Maybe i should go to the side and get a better view of it...

....Huh. They kinda rushed this one out didn't they?

It's kind of well hidden? Not that that doesn't look fairly ordinary but I can think of modern games where the "edge of the world" is far more obvious.

Although I did discover that sharp edge to the world you can see there - when the stray demon knocked me clean off the wall and into it :darksouls:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
The host just Alt-F4ed on me to prevent me from getting a shackle after I killed a blue sentinel in what was a 1v3. :geno:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Can you give the firekeeper her eyes and still get the Usurpation of Fire ending? I like the music after you give them to her.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Happy Hedonist posted:

Can you give the firekeeper her eyes and still get the Usurpation of Fire ending? I like the music after you give them to her.

Yes. The Usurpation ending is bound to the bonfire, meaning it's only mutually exclusive to Link the Fire.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Yes. The Usurpation ending is bound to the bonfire, meaning it's only mutually exclusive to Link the Fire.

Excellent. Thank you. Time for some sweet rear end tunes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Hrm, I wanna do my totally original cosplay, but can't think of a way around the filter...I know!"

:downs:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's kind of well hidden? Not that that doesn't look fairly ordinary but I can think of modern games where the "edge of the world" is far more obvious.

Although I did discover that sharp edge to the world you can see there - when the stray demon knocked me clean off the wall and into it :darksouls:

Its a scenic view right next to some items you pick up, but its somewhat minor and took until my 2nd playthrough to actually notice it. There's a couple of inconsitencies in a few places in the game but you have to be looking for them. the only real major offender is part of the high wall of lorthic, where you can look over the edge and the texture quality goes to poo poo.

Also, apparently the fade out in the endings doesn't seem to factor in you having a pyromancy flame or tears of denail while its running though it gives a nice effect considering the ending i got

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I love how many Artorias and Ornstein cosplayers there are in this game. Especially because every single one of them sucks tremendously at this game and it's a free kill.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RyokoTK posted:

I love how many Artorias and Ornstein cosplayers there are in this game. Especially because every single one of them sucks tremendously at this game and it's a free kill.

Dragonslayer Ornstein, well known for his dark sword.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I dunno. I got summoned by an Ornstein cos at the pontiff bonfire the other day, we were pretty close until near the end when his buddy Smough showed up out of nowhere and pancaked me.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got summoned by Sephiroth AND Cloud (separately, tho) today while phatoming on Wolnir.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I invaded BART SIMPSON and HOMER SIMPSON. They were horrible yellow mutants as you'd expect

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Here is my "helper" character, Burny Cinders:

What's the best combo of level / weapon plus to help in the early game stages (pre-Irityhll) ? Right now I am level 33 with a +2 weapon (raw reinforced club, nothing too fancy for Burny, he is an unkindled of the people). I thought people doing Vordt would be 10-15 and many would not have a +1 weapon.

The dex/bleed recommendations here were solid - if you want to wreck face in PVP just do an Anri's build. Otherwise, level up enough to have 40 dex (or 35 + ring). You'll be much happier with a sharp weapon + buff/resin. Best best is probably going 15-16 STR for Carthus Curved Sword, Dark Sword, and Exile Greatsword (2h).

If you are looking for a divergence from the meta, the Great Scythe is also a lot of fun, has big sweeps, a shield-wrecking charged R2, and a horrible combat art. Also the Lothric Knight Sword is outstanding at only 11 STR. Great damage with almost any infusion, stance combat art, only weighs 4.0 units. I went 40 Dex on my mage which let me replace +cast speed ring with lloyd's sword ring - this sword or Orikiri/Ubadachi do just a terrifying amount of damage buffed with CMW.

Here is a bonus shot of Burny Cinders finishing off the Stray Demon with a stun/riposte and totally saving his NSFW host's rear end:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Debating who to be for my coordinated coop run but we are highly considering running as Ernsteen and Smoog

What's some good knock-off armor and weapons that sort of approximates their gear, without using the actual stuff? Sunset helmet, brass armor and a lightning-infused winged spear could work for ernsteen, but not sure what to use for smoog's weapon.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Digirat posted:

Debating who to be for my coordinated coop run but we are highly considering running as Ernsteen and Smoog

What's some good knock-off armor and weapons that sort of approximates their gear, without using the actual stuff? Sunset helmet, brass armor and a lightning-infused winged spear could work for ernsteen, but not sure what to use for smoog's weapon.

Use the lovely wooden mallet for smoog

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gazaar posted:

Use the lovely wooden mallet for smoog

That mallet has the spin art that everyone talks up about with the Spiked Mace, though.

To be fair, it is shorter and lacks bleed though :sigh: But I really do like all of the style of all the Undead Settlement Weapons (Well, maybe I wouldn't like the Harpe dagger? I never got that... Or the spiked mace while farming with avarice and coins and everything)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

homeless poster posted:

to be fair, they story is pretty mediocre even when you've played every game in the series too. the real fun with dark souls is figuring out all the crazy ways you can break the game with interesting character builds & gimmicks. if you're expecting more from the story than "kill some monsters because reasons" then :frogout:

I'm not referring to the storyline but the Bloodborne-like aggressiveness of enemies and bosses. There are also gameplay moments that have a greater meaning if you've played the first one, and in my opinion the visceral experience of the first playthrough is the most appealing aspect of the series.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I definitely wouldn't start with 3. They're all really good and worth playing in spite of their flaws, so you may as well start with the cheapest one, and dark souls 1 is also probably the easiest to get started with. Dark souls 3 has a pretty ridiculous boss for first timers just minutes into the game, which pretty much determines whether you'll "get" the game or not (much like gascoigne in bloodborne). Dark souls 1 has some gotchas in the form of difficult areas you aren't meant to go through at the start of the game, but if you take the obvious route where the enemies are actually killable, then there's nothing like gundyr or gascoigne. It's also the slowest-paced and most methodical game in the series by far, which makes it easier to learn.

Dark souls 2 doesn't have a comparable newbie wall, but the beginning of the game simply makes you learn very quickly while starting you with very little--you have 1 estus, the available shields are bad, and your roll sucks. So dark souls 1 is still the best introduction IMO

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I found out I'd been gimping myself all game using Fire and then Chaos on my trusty longsword. Switched to Heavy, kicking rear end and finally getting use out of enchanting spells. I don't suppose there's a way of getting a second Pyromancy Flame, is there?

Lothric Castle was cool, ended up with a phantom that just knew where everything was and took me to get everything. We shot the gently caress out of some knights too, that was fun.

Bonfire placement made me laugh afterwards, is there anywhere else in the series where you can see another bonfire that clearly when you're right next to another?

Also the best thing is two phantoms, the host, and Siegward bringing the storm down on Yhorm's head.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

McDragon posted:

I don't suppose there's a way of getting a second Pyromancy Flame, is there?

No, but the White Hair Talisman can cast Pyromancies.

The White Hair Talisman is Miracles/Pyromancies, and the Crystal Chime is Sorceries/Miracles, but is there a Sorceries/Pyromancy implement?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 25, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got to the top of the Grand Archives.

There isnt a hidden bonfire nearer the fog door is there?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Two quick questions:

What would be the neatest great sword for a pure STR dude?

And, how do you guys deal with those big, heavy knight dudes after the Dancer? I'm just running away now since that basically murder me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

I got to the top of the Grand Archives.

There isnt a hidden bonfire nearer the fog door is there?

The elevator near the boss door is a wacky double decker situation, like with Seig in that tower (The lowest level is a useless hole with a titanite slab in it). The Dragonslayer Bonfire is slightly closer to it than the Grand Archives bonfire.

omg chael crash posted:

And, how do you guys deal with those big, heavy knight dudes after the Dancer? I'm just running away now since that basically murder me.

For the Cathedrel knight, Stance Art weapons (Not the Rapier though, that bounces off a hollow soldier's wooden shield) turn the ones with a shield into basically free walking guard breaks while they are blocking. Which is most straight swords, and a few greatswords. Even the broken sword's stance art will guard break a cathedral knight. Good luck with the greatsword ones though :thumbsup: But shortbow pulls and in fact, just ignoring them also work.

Stance Art is slightly more tricky, but doable, on any Lothric knight with a shield. And Lothric knights for all their buffs, still have garbage poise. Though watch out for Hyper armor on the brand new UGS Lothric knights. And if you see one use an unfamiliar buff, don't trade hit. Just... Don't.

"I still have 1,000 HP. I'll just finish it off with a trade hit-"

YOU DIED.

Nameless King wishes he ever hit that hard.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 25, 2016

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've gotta stop co-oping in Cathedral of the Deep. Every time you never end up getting to the boss, and it's always someone who hasn't opened any of the shortcuts! So you end up taking them on a grand tour of the area, and if you're a lucky guy like me they go past the boss (after killing all the enemies near the boss) to faff about raising the bridges, and then going up to the upper area to fall to their deaths :doh:

I learnt something at least, never knew there was a door near the feet of that first giant. I'll have to grab some buddies and take him down.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I've gotta stop co-oping in Cathedral of the Deep. Every time you never end up getting to the boss, and it's always someone who hasn't opened any of the shortcuts! So you end up taking them on a grand tour of the area, and if you're a lucky guy like me they go past the boss (after killing all the enemies near the boss) to faff about raising the bridges, and then going up to the upper area to fall to their deaths :doh:

I learnt something at least, never knew there was a door near the feet of that first giant. I'll have to grab some buddies and take him down.

which door? The one in the giant sewer of poo poo with the other giant?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

which door? The one in the giant sewer of poo poo with the other giant?

Yeah, at the feet of the one you first have to run past after the first shortcut. It took me so many times to get past him for the first time that I didn't want to hang around to see if I could kill him or what was near him.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Crystal soul spear just loving wrecks NK with proper gear on. Christ. First phase was done in seconds and then I just back stepped and tore him up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you just want to bust up the pope union board meeting then drop your sign right outside the door, I've gotten a lot of summons leaving it there. The bonfire seems to just be a bunch of cruddy wannabe fight clubs that grab whatever sign they see

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Digirat posted:

I definitely wouldn't start with 3. They're all really good and worth playing in spite of their flaws, so you may as well start with the cheapest one, and dark souls 1 is also probably the easiest to get started with. Dark souls 3 has a pretty ridiculous boss for first timers just minutes into the game, which pretty much determines whether you'll "get" the game or not (much like gascoigne in bloodborne). Dark souls 1 has some gotchas in the form of difficult areas you aren't meant to go through at the start of the game, but if you take the obvious route where the enemies are actually killable, then there's nothing like gundyr or gascoigne. It's also the slowest-paced and most methodical game in the series by far, which makes it easier to learn.

Dark souls 2 doesn't have a comparable newbie wall, but the beginning of the game simply makes you learn very quickly while starting you with very little--you have 1 estus, the available shields are bad, and your roll sucks. So dark souls 1 is still the best introduction IMO

Asylum Demon teaches you the Taint Reaping skills you will use throughout the rest of the series.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Yeah, at the feet of the one you first have to run past after the first shortcut. It took me so many times to get past him for the first time that I didn't want to hang around to see if I could kill him or what was near him.

It's nothing great. The Saint's Bident spear thing which kind of sucks, I'm pretty sure, and maybe something else that doesn't matter?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mazerunner posted:

It's nothing great. The Saint's Bident spear thing which kind of sucks, I'm pretty sure, and maybe something else that doesn't matter?

look at this noncompletionist scrub

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

but I must know

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

rusted coin x1

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Going through a tough section to find an alluring skull is the best FROM troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sakurazuka posted:

Going through a tough section to find an alluring skull is the best FROM troll

So would you say in this case the skull allured you there?